Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did Da Vinci fake the Turin Shroud ?

UM-Bot

Image credit: Leonardo Da Vinci
A new study has claimed that Leonardo Da Vinci could have fabricated the Turin Shroud, the technique used to match Da Vinci's self portrait with the Mona Lisa has been used again to match the dimensions of the shroud to that of Da Vinci.

"The famous Turin Shroud has been regarded by generations of believers as the face of crucified Jesus who was wrapped in it. But, now a new study has claimed that painter-inventor Leonardo da Vinci faked it. "

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: Times of India

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itsjustlife

• seanph

• Lt_Ripley

• behaviour???

Here's another view point regarding to the article, Jesus is Da Vinchi. :P.

There seems to be so many theories taht we get confused what to belive in...

THanks

B???

It's man made. If that image had been there via the tomb it would have been hailed as a miracle in the bible ( had that actually happened as well .) An image of Jesus on his burial cloth and not noticed by the women or disciples ? by anyone ? who eventually used the tomb ?

Da Vinci ? could be .... he was genius. I've seen this explanation of camera obscura before and it just may be right. And it does resemble him.

Remember that religious artifacts at the time were all the rage . Every church and wealthy person had to have at least one.

Edited by Lt_Ripley

It's man made. If that image had been there via the tomb it would have been hailed as a miracle in the bible ( had that actually happened as well .) An image of Jesus on his burial cloth and not noticed by the women or disciples ? by anyone ? who eventually used the tomb ?

Da Vinci ? could be .... he was genius. I've seen this explanation of camera obscura before and it just may be right. And it does resemble him.

Remember that religious artifacts at the time were all the rage . Every church and wealthy person had to have at least one.

The Bible does mention that they saw the burial cloths but not that they took them. That is a little weird.

It's very probable that DiVinci could have fake it, but I remember seeing a reference to the shroud on an internet site about the Knights Templar that claimed they were in possession of the shroud after returning from the crusade. Can anyone else add some comments to this?

Think there's little doubt that it's fake. And just look at the face ... Does that look like the face of a first century Palestinian Jew?! Far from it! Very European in appearance.

MK,

Sean

I dont know why but I feel it right,....Leo has faked it

Thakns

B???

20$ says you'll find an article about UFO sightings or all this other BS on there too.

So many things in the world today are controversial and thrown into the air.

I read about 3 years ago that The Shroud of Turin was made with cloth that was made back in the days and AREA around Jerusalem.

NOW, I may be wrong or a tad bit off the details, but they're one in the same point.

CORRECTION:

I found the site, Shroud.com/Nature.htm

The Shroud of Turin , which many people believe was used to wrap Christ's body, bears detailed front and back images of a man who appears to have suffered whipping and crucifixion. It was first displayed at Lirey in France in the 1350s and subsequently passed into the hands of the Dukes of Savoy.

FIRST DISPLAYED in 1350's.

Leonardo Da Vinci- 1452-1519

hmm..Leonardo faked the Shroud 100 years before he was born!

I'm far from an expert in those things, but come on, why does it always have to be Da Vinci? That self-portrait of him isn't a precise photograph. Same proportions of the face? Most people have similar proportions. I really don't see, why would he do that.

I'm not saying that the shroud isn't fake, of course.

Good point.

Found the website- http//www.templarhistory.com/shroud/html

This site claims the shroud was first displayed in 1357 by the family of Geoffrey de Charney who was burned at the stake with Jacques de Molay, the last Grand Master of the Knights Templar. It puts the carbon dating to 1260 and 1380. The site also suggests the impression may be that of de Molay. It does pre-date Leonardo DiVinci.

20$ says you'll find an article about UFO sightings or all this other BS on there too.

So many things in the world today are controversial and thrown into the air.

I read about 3 years ago that The Shroud of Turin was made with cloth that was made back in the days and AREA around Jerusalem.

NOW, I may be wrong or a tad bit off the details, but they're one in the same point.

CORRECTION:

I found the site, Shroud.com/Nature.htm

The Shroud of Turin , which many people believe was used to wrap Christ's body, bears detailed front and back images of a man who appears to have suffered whipping and crucifixion. It was first displayed at Lirey in France in the 1350s and subsequently passed into the hands of the Dukes of Savoy.

hmm..Leonardo faked the Shroud 100 years before he was born!

good point .....yet was the Shroud we know now the one originally had ?

According to the art historian Nicolas Allen the image on the shroud was formed by a primitive photographic technique in the 13th century.[32] Contrary to similar proposals by others, Allen denies the possibility that Leonardo da Vinci was in any way involved in production of the shroud. He rather maintains that techniques already available before the 14th century, as e.g. described in the Book of Optics which was just in this time translated from Arabic into Latin, were sufficient for primitive photographic techniques and that people familiar with these techniques could be able to produce an image as found on the shroud. To demonstrate this, he has experimentally produced photographic images using only techniques available at that time. He described his results in his PhD Thesis,[33] in papers published in several science journals,[34][35] and in a book

then again ..........

On 20 June, 1353, Geoffroy de Charny, Lord of Savoisy and Lirey, founded at Lirey in honour of the Annunciation a collegiate church with six canonries, and in this church he exposed for veneration the Holy Winding Sheet. Opposition arose on the part of the Bishop of Troyes, who declared after due inquiry that the relic was nothing but a painting, and opposed its exposition. Clement VI by four Bulls, 6 Jan., 1390, approved the exposition as lawful. In 1418 during the civil wars, the canons entrusted the Winding Sheet to Humbert, Count de La Roche, Lord of Lirey. Margaret, widow of Humbert, never returned it but gave it in 1452 to the Duke of Savoy. The requests of the canons of Lirey were unavailing, and the Lirey Winding Sheet is the same that is now exposed and honoured at Turin."[26]

According to the 1917 Catholic Encyclopedia

Owing mainly to the researches of Canon Ulysse Chevalier a series of documents was discovered which clearly proved that in 1389 the Bishop of Troyes appealed to Clement VII, the Avignon Pope then recognized in France, to put a stop to the scandals connected to the Shroud preserved at Lirey. It was, the Bishop declared, the work of an artist who some years before had confessed to having painted it but it was then being exhibited by the Canons of Lirey in such a way that the populace believed that it was the authentic shroud of Jesus Christ. The pope, without absolutely prohibiting the exhibition of the Shroud, decided after full examination that in the future when it was shown to the people, the priest should declare in a loud voice that it was not the real shroud of Christ, but only a picture made to represent it. The authenticity of the documents connected with this appeal is not disputed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shroud_of_Tur...the_Middle_Ages

A new study has claimed that Leonardo Da Vinci could have fabricated the Turin Shroud, the technique used to match Da Vinci's self portrait with the Mona Lisa has been used again to match the dimensions of the shroud to that of Da Vinci.

"The famous Turin Shroud has been regarded by generations of believers as the face of crucified Jesus who was wrapped in it. But, now a new study has claimed that painter-inventor Leonardo da Vinci faked it. "

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | linked-imageSource: Times of India

Have to admit that the image on the shroud bears that daVinci style and he was given to pranks within his works.

Think there's little doubt that it's fake. And just look at the face ... Does that look like the face of a first century Palestinian Jew?! Far from it! Very European in appearance.

MK,

Sean

And not to mention that the man on the shroud is 6'1. If I'm not mistaken, the average height of first-century Jewish males was 5'0.

This was very well explianed in the book "the Second Messiah" by Christopher Knight & Robert Lomas

Excelent read ;)

And not to mention that the man on the shroud is 6'1. If I'm not mistaken, the average height of first-century Jewish males was 5'0.

I agree CH. :yes: There has been much made about this and the fact that bodily proportions are "out of whack" (scientific term :lol: ) if you will. That said, whether this was LD -- and I'm just making a general statement here -- or not really doesn't matter. The question is authenticity. And, again, just by looking at the face on the shroud ... it certainly appears to be fake. That is not, IMHO, the face of a first century Palestinian Jew. That image is very European.

LTR ... :tu::yes:

MK,

Sean

Edited by seanph

There seems to be so many theories taht we get confused what to belive in...

THanks

B???

This is second to Roswell.

It is a pious artifact, the church has never said it was real, it is up to each person to decide. No ones faith is based on the shroud, or if it is, well to bad for them I guess. If anyone could have faked it, it would be Di Vinci.

look at the face in the shroud, it is da Vinci, as well as the Judas in the Last Supper, he's a real prankster and he love doing it for his own ammusement.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | linked-imageSource: Times of India

linked-image

I have had this same discovery on my web site and in the book i'm re-writing for years. Http://www.itsjustlife.com/turin.html

http://derekbair.blogspot.com/2008/02/shro...i-or-jesus.html

http://derekbair.blogspot.com/2007/08/vitr...d-of-turin.html

Blogs where I answer a lot of questions i've seen on here especially about the dates and how Da Vinci could have made it, even though it was supposedly around since before he was born.

I've yet to get what i've found "out there" So any advice or help in spreading the story would be reallllly appreciated!

linked-image

Da Vinci's drawing "The Vitruvian Man" superimposed over the Shroud of Turin.

Derek Bair derek@itsjustlife.com

Edited by itsjustlife

This can be equated to seeing the Virgin Mary in toast and tree stumps. Sure it looks like a person in the shroud, however we will never know who it was...if it was a real person.

This can be equated to seeing the Virgin Mary in toast and tree stumps. Sure it looks like a person in the shroud, however we will never know who it was...if it was a real person.

The Shroud of Turin is the most studied artifact of all time. It's nothing like seeing the virgin in a piece of toast. There is no question that there is a 3d image of a man who was suppose to be "Jesus" The question is if it's real, and created by the Holy spirit or whatever. Or if someone fabricated it (Da Vinci) The reason why people believe it's authentic is because it is SO complex, that they dont think anyone could have pulled something like it off so long ago. They didn't have that capability - supposedly. There have been others who thought this really was made by da vinci, me included. He knew the Royal family of TURIN, who had the shroud. And although the shroud has been dated to before da vinci's time, that doesn't mean that he didn't add the image himself, on the original cloth.

It aligns and combines with his drawing "the vitruvian man" which I believe was his way of proving that he actually created it.

Itsjustlife.com/turin.html