Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Taos Hum

Caesar

"Citizens of portion of S.W. America and Britain have been complaining of a hum, which makes them go crazy. According to them, it just never seems to go away.

‘Taos Hum’ is the name given by New Mexico natives to this humming sound. In 1993, this annoyance humming sound became so acute that hearers in Taos, New Mexico banded together and requested Congress for carrying out an investigation on the same. Their main aim was to discover the source of Taos Hum, but no conclusive causes were discovered. One of the prevailing theories holds that this hum is actually created by military communications systems used for contacting submarines.

Taos Hum Phenomenon

Anyone else know anyone that has heard of these hums?

• Like 1

this is one where I really do think it's the government. what exactly ? who knows. some say communications. The fact that it's worse indoors I wonder if it's because waves bounce where in open air they don't ........

I don't think it defied definition ... I think the 'investigation' ran into a you don't need to know sort of thing.

I have seen a few shows about this and read a few blurbs here and there, so I am not exactly well versed in the matter. However, I am inclined to agree with Lt. Ripley on this. The southwest of the US is known being a testing ground for a lot of military weapons/vehicles/you name it. That hum could be anything related to that, or just purposedly put there to keep people from going too deeply into certain areas. Don't know what, haven't given it a ton of thought, but it is a pretty compelling thing that we will probably never know the truth about.

I have heard the sound which is described for as long as I can remember. I live near sacramento california, I can also hear the 'sound' that tv's make, same goes for appliances and other electronics, I can hear dog whistles too(apparently not too many people can) It doesn't make me go 'crazy' or anything like that.. like any other background sound It's not intrusive unless I allow it to be.

...If any of that is relevant...

Edited by Raverous

The Taos Hum is maddening, I heard it for several years as a child, was diagnosed with Tinnitus and sent home. Even as a 12 year old kid I knew it wasnt Tinnitus, since any time I was away from Taos I didnt hear it.

I really wish the government would fess up what it is, its enough to truely drive you mad.

I have seen a few shows about this and read a few blurbs here and there, so I am not exactly well versed in the matter. However, I am inclined to agree with Lt. Ripley on this. The southwest of the US is known being a testing ground for a lot of military weapons/vehicles/you name it. That hum could be anything related to that, or just purposedly put there to keep people from going too deeply into certain areas. Don't know what, haven't given it a ton of thought, but it is a pretty compelling thing that we will probably never know the truth about.

That reminded me of a long forgotten incident from childhood. My friend and I were playing in the woods near her dads house in Taos Canyon. She and I wandered a bit too far from the house and found a dirt road we'd never seen before. We assumed the road would take us back to the main road and from there we could easily get back to her dads house. A little ways up the road we came across an open gate with a guard tower on it, being kids, we kept walking, ignoring the signs that said it was government property, no tresspassing. After a bit the woods opened up to a meadow with doors set in to the ground, there were at least 10-15 of them. We tried to open one but it was locked. We decided that the road was taking us further in to the mountains so we turned around to leave. About this time two men in camo outfits and guns pulled up in a jeep and started yelling at us, we explained we had gotten lost and just needed to get back to her house, they made us get in the jeep and drove us back to the open gate, and told us to never come back again or we might go to jail. We took off running down the road till we hit the main paved road and walked back to her house. We told her dad what had happened and he told us "its nothing, it doesnt exist girls, remember that, it doesnt exist ok?"

A few days later we were playing at my house and told my dad about it, he looked at us for a minute and then said "if you ever go back up there I'll tan both of your hides, if there were armed men up there, what ever it is isnt for you to know about"

Id forgotten all about it till now, but not long after we found that place is when the HUM started to be heard, now I wonder if its related.

edit to add: There are ALOT of weird things that happen around Taos. Maybe the government figures that because the area is a mecca for those that walk to the beat of their own drums, no one will take anything they say seriously.

Edited by MirrorImage

Seems to me that a hum like that would rather be caused by a low frequency tone or wave, between 3 and 50 hertz. Now some objects like a fan or airduct can cause such noises, but also electrical appliances can. This also falls into the VLF range (Very Low Frequencies), used often for radio navigation, submarine communication, etc.

This humming can have a great many causes. If it is in an area where there is a military base or such, I would say that a radio navigation beacon is the culprit. If the power of said beacon is big enough, I suppose that it can cause the humming. This should be confirmed by someone else as I'm not 100% sure.

But for those that want to check it out for themselves, I found this interresting way of recording the frequencies with your PC

PC based VLF reception is a simple method whereby anyone can pick up VLF signals using the advantages of modern computer technology. An aerial in the form of a coil of insulated wire is connected to the input of the soundcard of the PC (via a jack plug) and placed a few metres away from it. Fast Fourier transform (FFT) software in combination with a sound card allows reception of all frequencies below the Nyquist frequency simultaneously in the form of spectrogrammes. Because PC monitors are strong sources of noise in the VLF range, it is recommended to record the spectrograms on hard disk with the PC monitor turned off.

These spectrograms show many signals, which may include VLF transmitters, the horizontal electron beam deflection of TV sets and sometimes superpulses and twenty second pulses. The strength of the signal received can vary with a Sudden Ionospheric Disturbance. These cause the ionization level to drop in the atmosphere. The result of this is that the VLF signal will reflect down to Earth with greater strength.

If you live in or near Tao, maybe it's a good way to find out.

I was in Taos last summer but didn't hear anything. Doesn't mean anything, either. Still, I sometimes hear frequencies emitting from whatever and it's really annoying.

• Like 1

The Taos Hum is maddening, I heard it for several years as a child, was diagnosed with Tinnitus and sent home. Even as a 12 year old kid I knew it wasnt Tinnitus, since any time I was away from Taos I didnt hear it.

So if it was tinnitus would you describe it more as a high pitched ringing rather than a hum (which denotes low pitch)

What tone was it when you heard it?

• 3 years later...

... it is HAARP apparently you are being HAARPED AKA MICROWAVED if you hear this HUM sound.... brain seizures are likely to occur when your brain is about to explode....

warning-brain-explosion-zone.png

Edited by araxia

That is very strnage, how can people from different parts of the globe (S America and Britain) be experiencing the same sound? Perhaps the hum is being channeled through the earth, the ground, or satellites in space? It could be the government or maybe there is a natural scientific explanation for it?

• Like 1

That is very strnage, how can people from different parts of the globe (S America and Britain) be experiencing the same sound? Perhaps the hum is being channeled through the earth, the ground, or satellites in space? It could be the government or maybe there is a natural scientific explanation for it?

Yes they are good questions, but maybe if we say it is indeed the GOV then we are giving the world power too much credit and that is exactly what they want.... well said!

I was in Taos last summer but didn't hear anything. Doesn't mean anything, either. Still, I sometimes hear frequencies emitting from whatever and it's really annoying.

I was also there a few years ago, meditated and really tried to open up my mind...nothing.