Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shared Hallucinations?

Alchera

I have read several times accounts of people that claim to have had the same hallucination. But how is this possible? Whereas a mirage or other kind of visual distortion is "real" and can be viewed by many people, hallucinations are in the mind. I suppose if a person is influenced by another persons descriptions of their halucinations, under the right circumstances, they might convince themselves that they too are experiencing it. But that's all I can come up with.

I have read several times accounts of people that claim to have had the same hallucination. But how is this possible? Whereas a mirage or other kind of visual distortion is "real" and can be viewed by many people, hallucinations are in the mind. I suppose if a person is influenced by another persons descriptions of their halucinations, under the right circumstances, they might convince themselves that they too are experiencing it. But that's all I can come up with.

I think that you may have answered your own question. People are far more open to suggestion than they realize or want to admit.

I think this phenomenon is called "folie a deux"

Mass Psychic Resonance.

I'm thinking group hysteria, danceing manias, etc.

Now, do you all go to a dealer for the same thing?

The Oklahoma state gubment gives me my meds and counseling for free because I'm po. Otherwise the only non-prescription stuff is headache medicines and allergy pills.

Well I was once watching an episode of the soap 'Passions' where two teenagers saw a witch doing magic in an abandoned mine. When they told their parents they refused to believe them and said they were suffering 'dual hallucinations' from gas in the mine. Thats the only time I have heard about it, I know it doesnt help but at least you know its talked about ;)

Edited by Diamond Sheet

Folie à deux /fɒˈli ə ˈdu/ (translated, "a madness shared by two") is a rare psychiatric syndrome in which a symptom of psychosis (particularly a paranoid or delusional belief) is transmitted from one individual to another. The same syndrome shared by more than two people may be called folie à trois, folie à quatre, folie à famille or even folie à plusieurs ("madness of many"). Recent psychiatric classifications refer to the syndrome as shared psychotic disorder (DSM-IV) (297.3) and induced delusional disorder (folie à deux) (F.24) in the ICD-10, although the research literature largely uses the original name.

Source

Now, do you all go to a dealer for the same thing?

Ha!! That's exactly what I was going to ask!!! :tu:

• 1 year later...

Back in the day when I was doing drugs, a friend and I were on some really strong LSD.

We ended up across from the Mormon Tabernacle West in West L.A. (I believe that's the city).

I noticed the statue at the top of huge church was turning, but I could tell it really

was a rare hallucination. One of the only ones I ever had, in fact. It turned about

3/4 of the way around and then it was back to where it started, as if on a video loop.

I never saw it turning back the other way, and it always went in the same direction.

After I surmised it thoroughly, I wondered to myself if my friend could see it, and exactly

when I had that thought, he spoke up, saying that it looked like the statue was turning to him,

even though he knew it really wasn't. I absolutely did not ask him if he could see it. He brought

it up to me. I did not even hint that I was seeing anything out of the ordinary... and as I spoke

to him about it, I did not mention that I was seeing it to, since I wanted to be as scientific

about it, as possible. If anything, I was probably deceptive in that he probably thought by

my questions, that I was not seeing it.

So, he tells me the statue is turning and I ask him to describe it. He tells me it is spinning

to the left, which was the same way it was spinning for me. I even kind of led him to tell me

something different from my hallucination. I asked, "So, it's spinning to the left, around and around?"

He looked again and described that it went most of the way around, but before it got to a full turn, it

went back to where it started. I asked, "So it spins to the left most of the way, and then it spins back

to right, back where it started, and keeps going back and forth?" He said, no. There was no spinning to

the right. It just would be back there, without spinning right, and it kept doing that, nonstop. I said, that

sounds like a video loop. He said, yes, video loop is a perfect description.

Then I told him that I was seeing the exact same thing. It seemed really cool to us, but not

like earth shattering, or anything. My only regret is that I did not ask him to tell me the moment

it looped back to the starting position. I really have no doubt that our vision was synched up

exactly, but it would have been nice to verify it.

I do believe I have in my memory banks, stories of a psychic who could zone into the frequency

of people experiencing schizophrenic visions, but I can't say for certain. I do believe that is

most likely possible.

• Like 1

Quantum synchronicity could be an example of something that might cause multiple hallucinations. More research needs done, but there is evidence of information being shared between individuals that can not be attributed to communication. I am on my iPhone and cannot sufficiently search for source material, but I will try to come back later and add that in.

Quantum syncronocity? Are we talking about entanglement?

QUOTE (Warbringer @ Jul 8 2009, 03:12 PM) I have read several times accounts of people that claim to have had the same hallucination. But how is this possible? Whereas a mirage or other kind of visual distortion is "real" and can be viewed by many people, hallucinations are in the mind. I suppose if a person is influenced by another persons descriptions of their halucinations, under the right circumstances, they might convince themselves that they too are experiencing it. But that's all I can come up with.

I think that you may have answered your own question. People are far more open to suggestion than they realize or want to admit.

i agree with you.

i remember there was a test for the Nessie monster, and how people are blind in there believes.

in a near lake they did put a tree in the water near the bridge so the tourists can actually notice it, nothing relay happened, the ones who notice it, they did know it was a tree.

the same experiment was made in the loch ness lake. so what you think did happen.

some one just shouted i see the monster and everyone just started to photograph the "monster" and all of them believed it was the genuine loch ness monster.

So i want to say it is posible to have a shared hallucinations when a grup of people belived in something common, a desire to see it, and the right location.

sorry for may bad spelling and grammar. :blush:

Quantum syncronocity? Are we talking about entanglement?

In a matter of speaking, it is more the supposed observation of quarks and other elementary particles passing between host brains, either a form of entanglement or perhaps an exchange of actual particles.

The brain is really influence by the outside environment. Therefore, electrical signal in the brain could vibre the same voltage, intensity due to the same cause...

Yet it's easy to say, need more tests and evidence :unsure2:

<!--quoteo(post=2970504:date=Jul 8 2009, 03:12 PM:name=Warbringer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Warbringer @ Jul 8 2009, 03:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2970504"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have read several times accounts of people that claim to have had the same hallucination. But how is this possible? Whereas a mirage or other kind of visual distortion is "real" and can be viewed by many people, hallucinations are in the mind. I suppose if a person is influenced by another persons descriptions of their halucinations, under the right circumstances, they might convince themselves that they too are experiencing it. But that's all I can come up with.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree.

I have read several times accounts of people that claim to have had the same hallucination.

We're not allowed to talk about it here... but every time when i was on LSD with my friends, we all had the same hallucinations...

• 3 years later...

HI my name is Miguel, u can call me MIKE, i am 18 years old, i'm portuguese and a had a shared hallucination when i was 9, evry people i talk about this dont belive me or just say it was a spirit wich i have a hard time to belive. the story was :

my friend and i were in my bedroom and we were playing playstation at the time, and the door was half opened, we both for some reason looked at the same time to the door and we saw what looked like my mother zombified or something with blood all over her and so on, and we both had a stun reaction and stared down to the floor and after a few seconds we looked again to the door and she, or it, wasn't there, turns out my mother was in the living room the hole time. Sure a 9 year old have a strog imagination but we knew that we saw the same thing, and we were both realy scared.

if you know something about shared hallucinations like this please talk to me.

MIKE01