Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did Vatican suppress 'Galileo Cryptogram'?

UM-Bot

Image credit: Justus Sustermans
Image credit: Justus Sustermans
It has been suggested that Galileo Galilei may have discovered the planet Neptune 234 years earlier than previously thought. Galileo was prosecuted at the time for his astronomy research that was branded as "heretical".

"An Australian boffin says that the planet Neptune may have actually been discovered 234 years earlier than had been thought, by the famed Renaissance Italian astronomer and scientist Galileo Galilei - who was persecuted by the Inquisition for his "heretical" astronomy research."

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: The Register

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shaka5

• UM-Bot

• Juanita Rose Violini

• susieice

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

would anyone here seriously be in shock if we found out that the church held back someone that proves them wrong in anyway??? :huh:

would anyone here seriously be in shock if we found out that the church held back someone that proves them wrong in anyway??? :huh:

Poor Galileo. Heretic?? He was so right.

I wish I could remember or find the exact Galileo quote but since I can't I'll make do with a much inferior paraphrase. It is said that when Galileo left the Inquisition court room where he had just 'admitted' that the earth did not go around the sun, he mutter under his breath, 'but it does revolve.'

Poor Galileo. Heretic?? He was so right.

Poor Galileo, its sad to read about him and how right he was...and to know he actually got punished for being right

Poor Galileo, its sad to read about him and how right he was...and to know he actually got punished for being right

Yes, he did get punished for being correct...

...and spent the last years of his life under house arrest as a result.

When religion has that kind of power, the world is not a safe place....it's a lesson well worth learning.

and religion indeed has that kind of power, it was the darkest days of the Roman Catholic Church, if the church is being "guided" by the Holy Spirit, why did God let it happen to His Church? Why did the Church persecute or excummunicated the one who is in truth? Now I know why most great scientist are not Catholic, Sir Isaac Newton for example.