Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Revisiting Unknown Places in Dreams

House of 66

Hello, I was googling recurring dreams about places that you have never seen in waking life, and it brought me here.

I always knew I wasnt unique, but it is still comforting to see how many others also have this.

My dream is set in a run-down urban area, probably the UK, with terraced brick houses with no gardens, just front doors opening straight on to the streets and cobbled entries. Long streets lead down to a seafront with a promenade. You can get down to a stony beach by passing through gaps in large concrete walls, about 30 feet high with lintels running along the top that run the length of the seafront. (A bit like Stonehenge made of concrete in a straight line). 

Nothing much happens in these dreams, I am just wandering around getting deja vu at the familiarity of the place.

I feel it means something but I cant work out what. It always stays with me throughout the next day, it is very vivid, and I go there maybe once a month. I have had this dream for decades now, I wish I could work it out like I usually can with my other recurring dreams.

Sweet dreams everyone :)

• Like 1

Welcome aboard, @RioRita

Oh, @weirddreamer, too.

A paasive recurring non-nightmare dream. We've had another one recently. Let me see if I can find the link.

Yes, here we are:

Well, actually, it's not the one I was thinking of, because that one had the typical "opportunity to choose" which comes up in so many recurring dreams (in that case, to turn left or to turn right).

I thought there was another one that was like yours (or at least your description) in that the dreamer doesn't have the opportunity to make any specific choice. I can't find it now. Maybe I dreamt it :)

If your dream really is that passive, then maybe rather than treating it as a recurring dream, you might want to think of it as a recurring dreamscape. That is, just the setting for dreams, rather than a fully formed dream.

You don't mention any other dream characters. Ask whether there's anybody there, why don't you? Also it's hard not to notice that there are a lot of stones (cobbles, the stony beach, and the concrete mimics a famous stone structre). Not to be simple-minded, but how about looking under a rock?

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 1

This "opportunity to choose" sounds extremely advanced. Do you mean that when we dream the same dream many times, we can choose to do different things in the dream?  I belive that in my special dream, I am supposed to take the right side and to go to this special house, just because of this INCREDIBLE LIGHT!! That is what I think. In this light comes this INCREDIBLE UNBELIEVABLE FEELING!! This feeling is there in 2 other dreams I got, other special places whee this bright light is not there, just in one dream wich I gave details here in the forum. 

But just asking, how is it even possible to choose, what to do in a dream..

• Like 1

On 12/29/2019 at 6:03 AM, Pink sand said:

I belive that in my special dream, I am supposed to take the right side and to go to this special house, just because of this INCREDIBLE LIGHT!! That is what I think. In this light comes this INCREDIBLE UNBELIEVABLE FEELING!!

Yes, over in your thread, you described a dream which recurs, and you're happy about that. Many people who come here to post about recurring dreams describe them as undesirable or nightmares (dreams which wake the dreamer up). Those people want the recurrence to stop.

Many dreams which recur have a "decision point" for the dreamer. If the dreamer makes the "wrong choice," they have a bad dream experience. If they make the "right choice," they have a good experience, but that's it for recurrences. It's as if they've solved a puzzle, they get an emotional reward for that, and then their dreams move on to other topics.

Somebody who posted in your thread suggested taking the other option (turning the other way). That is something to think about, but I don't recognize your dream as a specific motif. Maybe you are already  making the "right choice," I don't know. One thing, though, you are obviously pleased with the dream, so maybe you should just leave things well enough alone.

If nothing else, then by coming here you at least learned something a little bit new for you: yes, some people do manage to change the choice they make in their dream. I've never had a bad recurring dream, so I can't describe what that feels like, but they manage to make a real choice, and the dream continues along a different plotline than before.

Now, whether you actually want to do that, or file it away as something that's "nice to know," is up to you. I dearly wish I could tell you what would happen in your dream if you turned to what seems to you the less attractive direction (when you choose, even before you experience the wonderful pay-off). I can't; I've never run across your particular dream-type before.

On 12/29/2019 at 6:03 AM, Pink sand said:

This feeling is there in 2 other dreams I got, other special places whee this bright light is not there, just in one dream wich I gave details here in the forum. 

If you wanted to post more dreams in your thread, then there is a little community here who would be very interested to read anything you'd care to share with us. As it is, I've already learned from your first dream, and I appreciate that very much.

• Like 2

Sorry for the delay in responding. Ok so I'll answer some of the questions I was asked. 

I have a fair amount of control when I dream about this place. As much control as a person has in their normals lives is what I would equate it to. Everyone has control of their lives for the most part but there are those things that are strong enough to knock you off balance. 

I never have the feeling of needing to choose between things or picking a path. There are some places where weird things happen like the haunted house next door to mine and a certain part of the lake/ocean that's a rocky beach area but for the most part I'm out exploring the areas and having adventures. 

The closest I can come to explaining the feeling is it's a second reality without wars and corruption to evolve things, they just evolved with natural time. Not trying to get political but that's just the way things feel. 

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, ursulabear said:

Sorry for the delay in responding. Ok so I'll answer some of the questions I was asked. 

I have a fair amount of control when I dream about this place. As much control as a person has in their normals lives is what I would equate it to. Everyone has control of their lives for the most part but there are those things that are strong enough to knock you off balance. 

I never have the feeling of needing to choose between things or picking a path. There are some places where weird things happen like the haunted house next door to mine and a certain part of the lake/ocean that's a rocky beach area but for the most part I'm out exploring the areas and having adventures. 

The closest I can come to explaining the feeling is it's a second reality without wars and corruption to evolve things, they just evolved with natural time. Not trying to get political but that's just the way things feel. 

Are you suppose to be OP with a different account 11 years later? Lol

On 12/30/2019 at 2:30 PM, eight bits said:

Yes, over in your thread, you described a dream which recurs, and you're happy about that. Many people who come here to post about recurring dreams describe them as undesirable or nightmares (dreams which wake the dreamer up). Those people want the recurrence to stop.

Many dreams which recur have a "decision point" for the dreamer. If the dreamer makes the "wrong choice," they have a bad dream experience. If they make the "right choice," they have a good experience, but that's it for recurrences. It's as if they've solved a puzzle, they get an emotional reward for that, and then their dreams move on to other topics.

Somebody who posted in your thread suggested taking the other option (turning the other way). That is something to think about, but I don't recognize your dream as a specific motif. Maybe you are already  making the "right choice," I don't know. One thing, though, you are obviously pleased with the dream, so maybe you should just leave things well enough alone.

If nothing else, then by coming here you at least learned something a little bit new for you: yes, some people do manage to change the choice they make in their dream. I've never had a bad recurring dream, so I can't describe what that feels like, but they manage to make a real choice, and the dream continues along a different plotline than before.

Now, whether you actually want to do that, or file it away as something that's "nice to know," is up to you. I dearly wish I could tell you what would happen in your dream if you turned to what seems to you the less attractive direction (when you choose, even before you experience the wonderful pay-off). I can't; I've never run across your particular dream-type before.

If you wanted to post more dreams in your thread, then there is a little community here who would be very interested to read anything you'd care to share with us. As it is, I've already learned from your first dream, and I appreciate that very much.

Hi eight bits

here are 2 of my other repeating dreams

I am driving, a long way, with my sister.
We have to park the car and start walking. It's a big forest and we are walking and walking for hours. it's getting dark, there are no lights in the forest, it's just a small " forest road," very narrow. In the middle of this night of walking, in the dark forest, we see a yellow light, and we know we have arrived. It's a very special feeling to see that we have arrived there.
It's a town or a village, in the forest where we arrived. We go into this lighting area which is the village, and it's like a big place, of stones, walks and ground of stone, (une place,) where people are walking and talking and there are fountains, no lights but the yellow color of the light is from a few fires. When we walk by on the big place, we can feel that this is the place where we belong! This Ist the most beautiful place and we belong with all other people there. We can feel the extreme happiness from the other people around. We want to stay there forever. The feeling inside is like the feeling I get when I am in the  bright light in my other dream, but here in this "village" there is no fog of light, but the same unbelievable feeling is filling us and there are no words to describe how I feel, it's stronger than any happy feeling or orgasm or whatever. Indescribable, I can't find the right words to describe this. 
This dream starts the same, always with my sister, not always same people  that we see  there but it's always in the night and a long way to walk up to this incredible place.
I dream this since I was about 7 years old...
This repeating dream has the strong incredible feeling.

I am beside a very small harbor in a small town It's in the evening but I can see a bit of the sunset.
I know I have to walk up a small road in this little town.
It is a small street, small stones makes the street, no cars. On both sides of the road, there are houses, I walk up these street. There are lights, many different colors, from the houses. Something is saying to me, come here, please come, no voice but it's a feeling.
I can feel that I belong to the place here, their doors are  opened to me, the atmosphere is full of happiness, stronger bigger than happiness, and it's like this feeling is of pink color but I can't see it. So sweet, just incredible strong, same feeling of strong love like from the light in my other dream.
I go in to one House, there are people there, we understand each other without talking. We belong together as we are there. 

I got some more repeating dreams who are not that often.
But what I want to tell is, my repeating dreams include this unbelievable feeling.

• Thanks 2

On 1/4/2020 at 9:26 AM, Pink sand said:

Hi eight bits

here are 2 of my other repeating dreams

I am driving, a long way, with my sister.
We have to park the car and start walking. It's a big forest and we are walking and walking for hours. it's getting dark, there are no lights in the forest, it's just a small " forest road," very narrow. In the middle of this night of walking, in the dark forest, we see a yellow light, and we know we have arrived. It's a very special feeling to see that we have arrived there.
It's a town or a village, in the forest where we arrived. We go into this lighting area which is the village, and it's like a big place, of stones, walks and ground of stone, (une place,) where people are walking and talking and there are fountains, no lights but the yellow color of the light is from a few fires. When we walk by on the big place, we can feel that this is the place where we belong! This Ist the most beautiful place and we belong with all other people there. We can feel the extreme happiness from the other people around. We want to stay there forever. The feeling inside is like the feeling I get when I am in the  bright light in my other dream, but here in this "village" there is no fog of light, but the same unbelievable feeling is filling us and there are no words to describe how I feel, it's stronger than any happy feeling or orgasm or whatever. Indescribable, I can't find the right words to describe this. 
This dream starts the same, always with my sister, not always same people  that we see  there but it's always in the night and a long way to walk up to this incredible place.
I dream this since I was about 7 years old...
This repeating dream has the strong incredible feeling.

I am beside a very small harbor in a small town It's in the evening but I can see a bit of the sunset.
I know I have to walk up a small road in this little town.
It is a small street, small stones makes the street, no cars. On both sides of the road, there are houses, I walk up these street. There are lights, many different colors, from the houses. Something is saying to me, come here, please come, no voice but it's a feeling.
I can feel that I belong to the place here, their doors are  opened to me, the atmosphere is full of happiness, stronger bigger than happiness, and it's like this feeling is of pink color but I can't see it. So sweet, just incredible strong, same feeling of strong love like from the light in my other dream.
I go in to one House, there are people there, we understand each other without talking. We belong together as we are there. 

I got some more repeating dreams who are not that often.
But what I want to tell is, my repeating dreams include this unbelievable feeling.

I wold recommend seeing a psychiatrist Pink Sand.  These awesome dreams are not normal!  There must be something very wrong with you...I'm sure a psychiatrist could help get rid of them....

jk  B)

...or...there is something very right about you which is not normal but a desirous trait to have nonetheless...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi friends,

I had a dream one week ago on 25th of April. I was really shocked when i googled about other people who travel in their dreams especially@aappa's post.

I decided to draw the places I see in my dreams and take notes about them after this awkward situation.

In my dream we travelled with my brother and our friends to a foreign country and walking around the town in the picture i draw. By the time we trying to go back to our bus at bus station we need to pass the river in the right. I see my brother and his fiancee walking in the river but the river was muddy and it was like swamp. I see a house near the bridge and there is a woman with blonde hair and blue eyes, she was a bit chubby. I asked "How can we go to bus station in safest way?" and she told me not to choose the river because we can drown in the river, then i shout at my brother and his fiancee to come over and chose other way to go. The woman who is the owner of the house told me she's from Finland (weird thing about my dream and @aappa's post, she is from Finland ) and she moved here because of her husband. She doesn't like the town. Right side of the city was rich and left side of the city was poor and city centre was there. We lose time while they're in the river and i talk to the woman.

I told all of the friends to choose the long way for the safest way. But the friends did not listened to me and choose the dangerous way with the small bridge. When we arrive at the bridge we see that the bridge is broken and there's a few wooden plates to pass other way. I told "We need to pass the bridge in groups of 3-5 people, otherwise it will be broken." then my brother and friends did not listened to me. I see my mom in this scene and asked her to take my photo. Then i heard screamings of the people fall down the broken bridge because they did not listen and lots of people try to pass the bridge in the same time. I can't see my brother and screamed "AMBULANZA" in Spanish or Italian. The police told me the people can't be saved but my brother is saved at the bottom of the river, they carried my brother and other people saved to hospital. The hospital is old and weird also, there is wooden plates to pass the door again. I looked for my brother and then i find him breathing hardly. Then the doctor says he'll be okay.

And i woke up... I googled and I found Flam/Norway is very similar to this place i draw. I see other places that I've never been and realise that similar places exist in the world. If there is anyone experienced something like that or have information about the dreams please write. 

Irem, Turkey, 29 y

Capture.JPG

Edited by lucrezia.tr

• 2 months later...

I am a new member,  and like most of you, I ended up here after googling the topic. I have been having these dreams (which I always refer to as serial dreams) all of my life. I am now 60. I won’t give you all the details because you’ve all done a good job of explaining that we’re all having the same experience… But let me ask if any of you have had this experience that I’ve developed in the last year or so: being conscious in the dream that you are, in fact, in what I refer to as the “alternate universe“ (that is, dreamworld)? I started having that experience a couple of years ago, and now in the last year not only am I conscious of being there, I have been able to make different decisions and get different outcomes, and exit the dream and wake up… All while being conscious of myself in the dream, unconscious that I am inside of that dream from within the dream, not just an observer. I have also learned that I can jump in, not exactly fly, but soar long distances without landing on my feet. I am sure to some this will sound insane, my wife thinks I have early dementia, but I’m betting someone out there can relate to this. This group seems to be one of the few that “gets it”. Let me know! Very curious.

Edited by NJstorm
Spelling
  • Like 1

It hard to explain but it never feels like a dream where the normal dream rules apply. I never do anything in the dream I can't do in "real" life. It's more like I'm just going to another life and that life centers around adventures. I hike in these amazing landscapes of mountains, green-spaces and waterways. 

OR 

I'm having adventures in these towns and cities also always centered around water of some kind. 

There are people around me sometimes I will know them and sometimes they are just background people just like in the waking world. I may or may not interact depending in what's happening. 

I have full control when I'm there but no more control than I would have when I'm awake. 

I will say I do seem to be...enhanced athletically because some of the places I've hiked were crazy dangerous but always seem more fun than scary. 

It's been going on since I was 19 and I'm now in my mid 40's and I go there almost every night when I go to sleep. 

I did have a lot of lucid dreams when I was younger where I would get stuck between places and would need my parents to fully wake me up. 

I would guess it's not dementia and more that you are lucky enough to be able to travel to these amazing places, whatever they are. 

I'm still trying to figure it out after all these years what this is...if I answer without using reason I would say another reality that's connected to mine. 
I'd still need proof and that's just not possible so I have to say I just don't know lol . 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

It has been many years since i made a post about dream places here. And i kinda forgot about all this in the long time since then. Some people answered here and asked questions and i didnt even read those or were aware of the answers.

Now i have a depression atm, nothing too serious just feeling ****ty for many month, which iam getting treated for. I am taking Citalopram for the mood, nothing special, the standard description drug for depressions. But it made me dream of the city again and even more vivid then before, it also made me remember past dreams about it. Which is kinda strange, having memories of dreams of years ago.

Not like a crystal clear recollection of those dreams, but pictures resurfacing from my memory. Dreams i havnt thought about since i dreamed them years ago.

There are sometimes places in these dreams i visited in RL. But it changes always into an unknown bustling city with bars, restaurants, shops, arcades and railroads. The architecture is mostly brutalistic, but sometimes resembles modern western cities or romantic victorian aged old districts. It never feels threatening, always calm and serene. A bustling city with many details. You can interact with the people there, but that always ends with beeing sucked into some rather mundane dream.

And no i'am absolutly sure i was never there, in RL, i have never seen those cafes, the restaurants with chefs or the street food vendors. They look amazing, interesting. I wanna go there and ima absoltuly amazaed at the architecture. I mean if this is something my brain makes up... well...not bad brain.. not bad... iam impressed. But i have 100% never seen them before and i can revisit them, i mean, i cant really navigate the city, but sometimes i end up at the same places like before. The sam train station, the same arcade wioth bars. the same streets.

I can revisist places i have seen in dreams from years ago, they still look and feel the same.

I dont know if it means anything to you all, but it is strange and it is wonderful for me. Like connecting to a different world.

Just wanted to share that with the people that answered in this threat years ago.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2022 at 9:05 AM, KaptainKabul said:

It has been many years since i made a post about dream places here. And i kinda forgot about all this in the long time since then. Some people answered here and asked questions and i didnt even read those or were aware of the answers.

Now i have a depression atm, nothing too serious just feeling ****ty for many month, which iam getting treated for. I am taking Citalopram for the mood, nothing special, the standard description drug for depressions. But it made me dream of the city again and even more vivid then before, it also made me remember past dreams about it. Which is kinda strange, having memories of dreams of years ago.

Not like a crystal clear recollection of those dreams, but pictures resurfacing from my memory. Dreams i havnt thought about since i dreamed them years ago.

There are sometimes places in these dreams i visited in RL. But it changes always into an unknown bustling city with bars, restaurants, shops, arcades and railroads. The architecture is mostly brutalistic, but sometimes resembles modern western cities or romantic victorian aged old districts. It never feels threatening, always calm and serene. A bustling city with many details. You can interact with the people there, but that always ends with beeing sucked into some rather mundane dream.

And no i'am absolutly sure i was never there, in RL, i have never seen those cafes, the restaurants with chefs or the street food vendors. They look amazing, interesting. I wanna go there and ima absoltuly amazaed at the architecture. I mean if this is something my brain makes up... well...not bad brain.. not bad... iam impressed. But i have 100% never seen them before and i can revisit them, i mean, i cant really navigate the city, but sometimes i end up at the same places like before. The sam train station, the same arcade wioth bars. the same streets.

I can revisist places i have seen in dreams from years ago, they still look and feel the same.

I dont know if it means anything to you all, but it is strange and it is wonderful for me. Like connecting to a different world.

Just wanted to share that with the people that answered in this threat years ago.

"Memories of dreams years ago". This happens to me. I get flashes, quick fragments of past dreams, usually at night. I don't think its uncommon. Anyway, I dreamt (about three months ago) I was crossing the main bridge into Harrisburg. I've never been there & can't recall ever seeing pictures of city. I could barely see the city but it seemed very strange and unreal.

Two weeks ago I went to Mechanicsburg for a book fair. I left hotel the next day around 6am (extremely tired). I got lost then (accidently) past the main bridge leading into Harrisburg (I've definitely never been there). The sun was just comming up and casting an almost magical glow around city. I said to myself "oh my god, did I dream this". Staring at the bridge to the point where I almost crashed my car. Not saying it's something paranormal but definitely very unusual. Plus, before I planned trip, i didn't know Harrisburg was close by. Now I feel some strange curiosity to cross the damn bridge (the capital beltway across the susquehanna) and explore the city. Which I plan on doing (next year).

Edited by Bed of chaos

I've re-visted several bothies (buildings in remote areas used for shelter by walkers) and parts of the Highlands in dreams over the years - but the map of my dreamland Scotland is different (but generally the same in every dream) and it's frustrating to wake, having been planning to visit a remote corner I've not been to before, with some great, rarely used bothies, that I am really looking forward to finally visiting,  only to then realise they actually doesn't exist in the real world ....

But that's the power of imagination :tu:

Edited by Essan
  • Like 1