Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Arizona's mysterious creatures?

MongoMagnificent

Are there any cryptids living in AZ? If so, what's the details on these things? Thanks!

Are there any cryptids living in AZ? If so, what's the details on these things? Thanks!

There is the tall tale of cowboys shooting a "flying alligator", but the story is ridiculous and no remains of it exist despite supposedly being brought into town. And then this story was connected with a spurious photo of a Pterodactyl supposedly shot and nailed to a barn.

The natives seemed to believe in flying reptiles. I think the Anasazi Dragon Pictograph is in Utah, but very closed to Arizona. in the "four corners" region.

The cave of ancient treasures claimed to be in the Grand Canyon may have had a reptilian guardian. Supposedly the discoverer refused to go any further when deep in the cavern he smelled a distinctly "snakey" odor, and decided to go no further.

Powie, the Lake Powell monster! (Im kidding, but I did convince my nephews he existed for 3 whole years so I didnt have to take them swimming with me :D)

Skin walkers are all I can think of, check in to native american lore for more info.

Edited by MirrorImage

Powie, the Lake Powell monster! (Im kidding, but I did convince my nephews he existed for 3 whole years so I didnt have to take them swimming with me :D)

Skin walkers are all I can think of, check in to native american lore for more info.

I'm very familiar with skin walkers and nooooooooooo thank you. That legend creeps me out. Way too many people take that waaaaay too seriously for that to be just a "legend" around here.

I'm very familiar with skin walkers and nooooooooooo thank you. That legend creeps me out. Way too many people take that waaaaay too seriously for that to be just a "legend" around here.

I second that. Theres some odd happenings in the deep desert. Thats about all I have to say on that topic.

Theres a canyon in northern Az thats got all sorts of dead animals in it and the walls are covered in weird markings. The markings are supposed to be painted in blood. Ive been in there, it didnt look much like a ritual spot to me, more like some one had dumped left overs after slaughtering sheep and the markings on the wall reminded me of cliff paintings rather than something sinister. However its on private property and the folks that own the land WILL chase you out of there with shot guns.

I do vaugely remember a story I was told about the Crow Man, but I was a small child and already scared spitless from skinwalker stories when the old man told me about Crow Man. All I can remember is that you'll be driving down the road and see a crow in the middle of the road, it suddenly turns in to a man who steps in front of your car, and just as youre about to hit him, he vanishes. Its supposed to be a warning of trouble ahead of you.

Also there used to be stories of HUGE Gila monsters, big enough to eat a whole cow, but I never have found verification on either the Crow Man (other than a friend of mine who didnt know the tale telling me that he saw this on his fist trip to Az) or the Giant Gila.

I'll give a few old friends back in northern AZ a call and see if they remember anything.

I second that. Theres some odd happenings in the deep desert. Thats about all I have to say on that topic.

Theres a canyon in northern Az thats got all sorts of dead animals in it and the walls are covered in weird markings. The markings are supposed to be painted in blood. Ive been in there, it didnt look much like a ritual spot to me, more like some one had dumped left overs after slaughtering sheep and the markings on the wall reminded me of cliff paintings rather than something sinister. However its on private property and the folks that own the land WILL chase you out of there with shot guns.

I do vaugely remember a story I was told about the Crow Man, but I was a small child and already scared spitless from skinwalker stories when the old man told me about Crow Man. All I can remember is that you'll be driving down the road and see a crow in the middle of the road, it suddenly turns in to a man who steps in front of your car, and just as youre about to hit him, he vanishes. Its supposed to be a warning of trouble ahead of you.

Also there used to be stories of HUGE Gila monsters, big enough to eat a whole cow, but I never have found verification on either the Crow Man (other than a friend of mine who didnt know the tale telling me that he saw this on his fist trip to Az) or the Giant Gila.

I'll give a few old friends back in northern AZ a call and see if they remember anything.

Thanks I appreciate it! That Crow Man story is really weird...

I know this older fella, maybe in his 50's and he often speaks about seeing through the crows eyes...

There is the tall tale of cowboys shooting a "flying alligator", but the story is ridiculous and no remains of it exist despite supposedly being brought into town. And then this story was connected with a spurious photo of a Pterodactyl supposedly shot and nailed to a barn.

The natives seemed to believe in flying reptiles. I think the Anasazi Dragon Pictograph is in Utah, but very closed to Arizona. in the "four corners" region.

The cave of ancient treasures claimed to be in the Grand Canyon may have had a reptilian guardian. Supposedly the discoverer refused to go any further when deep in the cavern he smelled a distinctly "snakey" odor, and decided to go no further.

You love drangons don't ya. what do you think of my theory they are just teredactiles left over or ptetrodons. :)

Thanks I appreciate it! That Crow Man story is really weird...

I know this older fella, maybe in his 50's and he often speaks about seeing through the crows eyes...

Ive heard the same thing from an older Navajo gentleman I used to speak with alot when I ditched class and went out in the desert. Then again he told me I have "the eyes of the dead" (my eyes are grey), so ...*shrug*

I didnt get any cryptid stories from back home, but I do have a urban legend type tale that Ive debated posting for a while.

According to the story

Back when Glenn Canyon Dam was being built Page Az was nothing but a trailer park for dam workers and a few scattered houses. An old man who had come to town when his son took a job at the dam lived in Page. The old man recruited the children of the workers in to some sort of cult, and used their blood to open a rift to hell. The residents fearing for their lives surrounded the mans mobile home and burned it. The fire spread to the other houses and burned the entire original settlement of Page to the ground.

Ashamed that they had allowed this to happen in their very religious mormon community, the residents destroyed all evidence, news paper archives, ect to hide the incident. The city rebuilt, and became a tourist hot spot sitting on the edge of Lake Powell. All thats left to mark the spot of the original trailer park is a small park and playgound on 10th street near the air port, Golliard Park.

According to some, you can see a 'glowing blue pentagram" above the park at midnight some nights, and odd things happen in the park.

I heard this story right after moving to Page, and very few people seemed to know anything about it (then again so many of the original residents moved on when the dam was completed). I never saw a pentagram over the park, but even before I knew the tale it gave me the creeps. I used to hate going down there to play when Id visit my granny as a wee little kid, the park always seemed so much hotter than my grannys yard.

Ive looked for years for any kind of confirmation to the tale and havent found anything.

The only creatures that i can think of is the skin walkers, UFOS, and Ghosts.

I might have to check out Page, Az! I live in southern AZ....like, almost mexico.

The eyes of the dead? I have grey eyes too...

Maybe I'll ask that older fella i know about that, dead eyes...

Ive heard the same thing from an older Navajo gentleman I used to speak with alot when I ditched class and went out in the desert. Then again he told me I have "the eyes of the dead" (my eyes are grey), so ...*shrug*

I didnt get any cryptid stories from back home, but I do have a urban legend type tale that Ive debated posting for a while.

According to the story

Back when Glenn Canyon Dam was being built Page Az was nothing but a trailer park for dam workers and a few scattered houses. An old man who had come to town when his son took a job at the dam lived in Page. The old man recruited the children of the workers in to some sort of cult, and used their blood to open a rift to hell. The residents fearing for their lives surrounded the mans mobile home and burned it. The fire spread to the other houses and burned the entire original settlement of Page to the ground.

Ashamed that they had allowed this to happen in their very religious mormon community, the residents destroyed all evidence, news paper archives, ect to hide the incident. The city rebuilt, and became a tourist hot spot sitting on the edge of Lake Powell. All thats left to mark the spot of the original trailer park is a small park and playgound on 10th street near the air port, Golliard Park.

According to some, you can see a 'glowing blue pentagram" above the park at midnight some nights, and odd things happen in the park.

I heard this story right after moving to Page, and very few people seemed to know anything about it (then again so many of the original residents moved on when the dam was completed). I never saw a pentagram over the park, but even before I knew the tale it gave me the creeps. I used to hate going down there to play when Id visit my granny as a wee little kid, the park always seemed so much hotter than my grannys yard.

Ive looked for years for any kind of confirmation to the tale and havent found anything.

Supposedly the T-bird hangs out along the San Pedro. I've seen some huge birds down there but I think they were just well fed buzzards.

I've also seen cattle turned inside out. I was told it was for coyote bait but nothing was eating it.Not even the bugs. I don't know what did it.

I remember seeing a story in the Tucson newspaper when I was a kid where these old people stopped in the Organ pipe and snapped a picture. In the background was a guy kneeling behind a bush staring at them with nothing on but a loincloth and a spear. It was one of those deals where they only stopped for a second and didn't see anything when they took the picture. Supposedly the police went back and looked around but didn't find anything. It was a creepy picture.

Arizona is famous for The UFo story of Phoenix....one of the great Topic on the 4 disc dvd set of Unsolved Mysteries: Ufos.

Not trying to veer off topic WalkingDude20, but I do recall you posting something about hearing a singing voice coming from a cave once? Could you please tell us more about that :D

Not trying to veer off topic WalkingDude20, but I do recall you posting something about hearing a singing voice coming from a cave once? Could you please tell us more about that :D

I posted all there really is to know about that in another topic.

• 9 years later...

Does anyone know about anything specificaly in the anthem/new river area?. I know it is supposedly built on an old indian burriel ground.

3 hours ago, Azcultsearcher said:

I know it is supposedly built on an old indian burriel ground.

99% of the U.S. is a Indian burial ground. :yes:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Azcultsearcher said:

Does anyone know about anything specificaly in the anthem/new river area?. I know it is supposedly built on an old indian burriel ground.

Google is your friend.

• Thanks 1