Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World's oldest mother dies in Spain

schizoidwoman

World's oldest mum dies in Spain

Map

A Spanish woman who became the world's oldest new mother when she gave birth in 2006 to twin boys at the age of 66 has died, her family has said.

The brother of Maria del Carmen Bousada de Lara told the paper Diario de Cadiz she passed away on Saturday, aged 69.

It said she had been diagnosed with cancer shortly after giving birth.

In 2007, Ms Bousada de Lara said she had lied about her age to doctors at a fertility clinic in California to get IVF treatment, telling them she was 55.

linked-imageRead more...

I remember there being some heated debate about a woman in her 60s having IVF treatment on UM but I can't find the thread now...

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Queen in the North

• schizoidwoman

• goalienan

• Paraweird

Top Posters In This Topic

but I can't find the thread now...

i know how ya feel... i was trying to find an old thread about graffiti but i cant find it.

back onto topic.

i think it proves that it isnt really right to be parents at such an old age. what will happen to the children has been the biggest issue :huh:

I feel sorry for the kids, and when i first read she had given birth i thought what how selfish she was. Now she's gone,and the kids are with out their mother. Again i say what a selfish woman!

One: eww.

Two: what?? Why did the woman not have IVF when she was younger if that was what she needed? It's not fair on the children to do this, it comes across as selfish to me. "she had every reason to believe she would live as long as her mother"? Who's to say she wouldn't get dementia or something else like that, even if she didn't die?

Gawwwd, and I thought my mother was old. (no offense, mother! (just in case she ever sees this) :P)

One: eww.

Two: what?? Why did the woman not have IVF when she was younger if that was what she needed? It's not fair on the children to do this, it comes across as selfish to me. "she had every reason to believe she would live as long as her mother"? Who's to say she wouldn't get dementia or something else like that, even if she didn't die?

Gawwwd, and I thought my mother was old. (no offense, mother! (just in case she ever sees this) :P)

yes yes I agree I agree and you said it all!

I really don't understand the reasoning some people have here. Just because a women gives birth in her later years and then dies a few years later isn't any different when a women gives birth at a young age and dies a few years later. Its the same difference. That is what happened to me and my brother. Left without a mother after only 5 years and no father after 6 years. The only thing is that a new human was born.

If my mother would of had me at 99 and died a month after that I would just be happy to be here. The world is full of people who would love to have kids but for some reason they cant. Sad that she had to die but the kids will be fine. Better than them working like adults to take care of her being that old.

I really don't understand the reasoning some people have here. Just because a women gives birth in her later years and then dies a few years later isn't any different when a women gives birth at a young age and dies a few years later. Its the same difference. That is what happened to me and my brother. Left without a mother after only 5 years and no father after 6 years. The only thing is that a new human was born.

I'm going to say something which I usually wouldn't say: it isn't natural. Women generally go through the menopause between around 45--55, sometimes a bit younger (or a lot younger, if there are extenuating circumstances involved) and sometimes a bit older, but not much older.

Using your reasoning, as you didn't specify age, normally I would conclude that a women who "gives birth in her later years" is a woman who is 40-45, with or without IVF. At that age, giving birth can get pretty dangerous. If a women who had a child at the age I just stated died a few years later, because of cancer or something else out of her control, then I would say that's not any different to a younger women giving birth and dying a few years later.

But the lady in the article was 66, way past the menopause, and way past the natural time period a woman can birth during. What's more, she lied about her age to the fertility clinic, so why would she do that unless she thought/knew that the clinic wouldn't give her the treatment at her age?

It is a shame that she died and left the kids, especially from something as horrible as cancer. But IMHO if she knew she needed IVF treatment in order to have children, she should have sought it out long ago.

It is a shame that she died and left the kids, especially from something as horrible as cancer. But IMHO if she knew she needed IVF treatment in order to have children, she should have sought it out long ago.

I have to agree with you, Libby. This will sound harsh, but her reasons for wanting to have children were entirely selfish. What thought did she give as to how they would cope as she got older, and being less and less able to look after herself, let alone her child? (The menopause happens for a reason - let's at least give nature that much credit).

Don't get me wrong - this is a tragic story, and I do have sympathy for everyone involved. It just should never have happened, in my opinion.

Edited by Paraweird

I'm trying to remember when this was up on UM, if it's the same woman who had the agreements with her daughters that they would care for the children if anything was to happen to her..No matter what the circumstances, I feel for her babies...:(

I'm trying to remember when this was up on UM, if it's the same woman who had the agreements with her daughters that they would care for the children if anything was to happen to her..No matter what the circumstances, I feel for her babies...:(

I thought I had seen it on UM but the name of the woman brought nothing up; if you do find the earlier thread, I'd be interested to see it too!

I have to agree with you, Libby. This will sound harsh, but her reasons for wanting to have children were entirely selfish. What thought did she give as to how they would cope as she got older, and being less and less able to look after herself, let alone her child? (The menopause happens for a reason - let's at least give nature that much credit).

Don't get me wrong - this is a tragic story, and I do have sympathy for everyone involved. It just should never have happened, in my opinion.

Doesn't sound harsh at all, is exactly what I said in my first post on this thread.

And it's not like natural time window for having children is in any way short or fleeting...