Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

If you had a gay relative ...

Blood_Sacrifice

If you had a gay relative  

85 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• Punished him cruelly, that would have redeemed the 'terrible monster' that resides inside him
    • Kicked him out of the house, disown him, and break any further communication with him for being such a 'filthy' human being
    • Take him to a doctor/psychologist/psychiatrist to cure the 'disease'' he is suffering from, but accept him (the person) wholeheartedly
    • Accept him and let him live his life accordingly because homosexuality is natural and normal

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lt_Ripley

• Beckys_Mom

• Blood_Sacrifice

• Meiliken

I admire your honesty , but do you see that the problem is you and not them ?

Yeah, I do. I guess for some there will always be things that they can and cannot fully accept, regardless of how hard they try. An example would be my girl's pet birds. They have the ability to issue out an ear piercing shreik (I'd love to get the decibel levels on it) which literally makes me feel pain (my ears ring for a little while afterwards). Before the shreik comes, there's a build up of quiet chirping. As soon as I hear that, I become annoyed because I know the pain is coming. As much as I try to block it out, and accept it, it drives me crazy lol.

I feel the same in regard to Flamboyant gays. They don't cause me actual pain in a physical sense, it's more mental pain in terms of annoyance / irritation I guess.

Side note: Could nails on a chalkboard be considered physical pain? Never thought about that before lol.

Do you feel homophobia is a mental illness that needs to be cured?

I think that homphobia is an attitude that needs to be changed. Too many things are labeled "disorders" when they should not be and in this case, clearly are not. :)

I assume this question is directed at me, if not then feel free to correct me.

I do not believe that homophobia is a mental illness no more than I believe homosexuality is a mental illness. Homophobic is simply a term assigned to those individuals who for one reason or the other dislike and distrust homosexuals. Not liking, or even hating a group of individuals does not constitute a mental illness even if we may not agree with their views.

The term itself is also incorrect. The term 'phobia' indicates an irrational fear of homosexuals, when in most cases it is not a fear that is the cause of the distrust, but rather learned hatred of the homosexuals.

Edited by Denisius

denisuis quotes:

"You need to understand that it is not their homosexuality that I find repulsive, rather the way in which they are expressing it."

in other words you find it repulsive if one is gay lol...

why does it scare you to the point of being repulsed ?

I do not believe that homophobia is a mental illness no more than I believe homosexuality is a mental illness. Homophobic is simply a term assigned to those individuals who for one reason or the other dislike and distrust homosexuals. Not liking, or even hating a group of individuals does not constitute a mental illness even if we may not agree with their views.

The term itself is also incorrect. The term 'phobia' indicates an irrational fear of homosexuals, when in most cases it is not a fear that is the cause of the distrust, but rather learned hatred of the homosexuals.

Are you just bothered by "over the top" people in general?

Nibs

Well I'm not sure that homophobia is an illness nor can one cure it through medical means. Homophobia can only be "cured" through education and understanding. People that are homophobic are just ill informed.

in other words you find it repulsive if one is gay lol...

As I have stated before, I have no quarrel with a homosexual person who does not flaunt his homosexuality. What a person does in the privacy of his bedroom is not my or anyone else's business.

What I find repulsive, is the flamboyant homosexuals who go around and shove their homosexuality up the noses of other people and believe it to be a source of pride that makes them better than anyone else.

Again, what a person does in the privacy of his or her bedroom is not anyone's business.

why does it scare you to the point of being repulsed ?

Again, I am not scared of 'it' in the least. I do find it to be annoying and repulsive, for the simple reason that I dislike their demeanor and attitude.

Are you just bothered by "over the top" people in general?

Nibs

Not usually. The flamboyant homosexuals are an exception, although it should generally be seen on a case by case basis.

Edited by Denisius

Hell, no. That question was, in no way, directed at you. Also, when I stated homophobia, I meant the actual homophobia (i.e. committing hate crimes, beating up gays, etc), and not just disliking them. Hope it is clarified. :)

I would treat a gay relative just like I treat all my other relatives. Ignore them until we see each other at family functions....

Denisius, a question to you: Do you dislike it when heterosexual couples kisses in the public, or shows their affections, or is it only limited to homosexuals? Just a question; no offense intended.

Well I'm not sure that homophobia is an illness nor can one cure it through medical means. Homophobia can only be "cured" through education and understanding. People that are homophobic are just ill informed.

Yeah, well said! :tu:

Hell, no. That question was, in no way, directed at you. Also, when I stated homophobia, I meant the actual homophobia (i.e. committing hate crimes, beating up gays, etc), and not just disliking them. Hope it is clarified. :)

Either way, I have answered the question.

What you described is not a mental illness, it is merely the extension of the distrust and hatred.

What you described is not a mental illness, it is merely the extension of the distrust and hatred.

I do feel that when this hatred crosses its limit, it could be termed as an illness. Obviously, all people who do not support homosexuality are not homophobes, because they do not 'hate' the gays.

Do you dislike it when heterosexual couples kisses in the public, or shows their affections, or is it only limited to homosexuals? Just a question; no offense intended.

I have no issues with neither heterosexual nor homosexual couples kissing or showing their affection to each other in public. I do have a problem with the demeanor and attitude of the flamboyant homosexuals who believe that them being homosexuals entitles them to shove people around, and then claim homophobia when those people shove back.

I reiterate, I have no issues whatsoever with homosexuals who are decent people. I do have issues with the flamboyant homosexuals, whom their very demeanor and attitude I find to be repulsive.

As I have stated before, I have no quarrel with a homosexual person who does not flaunt his homosexuality. What a person does in the privacy of his bedroom is not my or anyone else's business.

What I find repulsive, is the flamboyant homosexuals who go around and shove their homosexuality up the noses of other people and believe it to be a source of pride that makes them better than anyone else.

Hmm, I agree, but I wouldn't say "better than anyone else." I feel like it is more inconsiderate to those who are hetero by publically subjecting them to the over the top flamboyant antics. It seems like some gay individuals don't care who, how, or what their public behavior affects, which is kind of ironic since they want to be accepted by everyone.

do you find overly macho guys repulsive, too? you know, the guys who think they can embarrasingly hit on women and make rude comments and fart in public and spit and fight? aren't they shoving their heterosexuality in everyone's face?

I do feel that when this hatred crosses its limit, it could be termed as an illness.

I'm afraid that it does not quite fit the criteria to be categorized as a mental illness, as it is the personification of the hatred and distrust. Even though we disagree with it, it still does not make it eligible to be named a mental illness.

I have no issues with neither heterosexual nor homosexual couples kissing or showing their affection to each other in public. I do have a problem with the demeanor and attitude of the flamboyant homosexuals who believe that them being homosexuals entitles them to shove people around, and then claim homophobia when those people shove back.

I reiterate, I have no issues whatsoever with homosexuals who are decent people. I do have issues with the flamboyant homosexuals, whom their very demeanor and attitude I find to be repulsive.

Err, I think you did not get my question properly, or maybe I didn't phrase it correct. What I meant by 'heterosexual kissing' was 'heterosexual flamboyancy', if you get my drift. Just out of curiosity, do you feel the same amount of repulsiveness, when you are around flamboyant heterosexuals, or any form of flamboyant people, or is it only limited to a particular group?

do you find overly macho guys repulsive, too? you know, the guys who think they can embarrasingly hit on women and make rude comments and fart in public and spit and fight? aren't they shoving their heterosexuality in everyone's face?

Yeah, pretty much. I'm straight, and to me they seem like uncivilized idiots.

Edited by SpIdErCyDe

I'm afraid that it does not quite fit the criteria to be categorized as a mental illness, as it is the personification of the hatred and distrust. Even though we disagree with it, it still does not make it eligible to be named a mental illness.

So I guess we need to disagree on this count. I am of the opinion, that feeling an irrational hatred or fear for/of anything, for no valid reason, is equivalent to phobia, which is a mental illness. If the flamboyant homosexuals feel an irrational hatred towards the heterosexual community, then they are suffering from illness. Though we do not have any heterophobia, I believe it exists, too.

i'd much rather hang out with flamboyant guys than those macho heathen types

Yeah, pretty much. I'm straight, and to me they seem like uncivilized idiots.

So I am taking it as though you are against any form of flamboyancy, be it homosexual flamboyancy, or heterosexual flamboyancy.

No, I do not. Their demeanor and attitude and that of the flamboyant homosexuals is quite different, and not one that I personally find repulsive.

What I meant by 'heterosexual kissing' was 'heterosexual flamboyancy', if you get my drift. J

You seem to have again misunderstood my position. I have no issue with the act of homosexuality itself, be it kissing or hugging in public. What I find to be repulsive is the attitude of the flamboyant homosexuals towards other individuals.

do you feel the same amount of repulsiveness, when you are around flamboyant heterosexuals, or any form of flamboyant people, or is it only limited to a particular group?

As I have yet to encounter any other group of flamboyant individuals besides the homosexuals, I'm afraid I cannot answer that question.

So I am taking it as though you are against any form of flamboyancy, be it homosexual flamboyancy, or heterosexual flamboyancy.

I had never really thought about it that way before, but, you are correct. I guess I am. However, flamboyant heteros personally don't irritate me as much, probably because I'm hetero.

Edited by SpIdErCyDe