Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does Magnetic Therapy work

Caesar

"In some parts of the world, magnetic therapy is used to help people suffering from depression Magnets are believed by many to have healing powers. Many claim that magnetic therapy is very helpful in reducing back pain, neck pain, muscle soreness, carpal tunnel, and arthritis.

There are positive testimonials aplenty. People claim that placing magnets on their body relieves pain that mainstream medicine could not.

Most scientists and doctors believe magnetic healing therapy to be nothing more than the placebo effect. They don’t believe that magnets are strong enough to effect the blood flow underneath the skin. Because it’s not taken seriously by the mainstream medical community, magnetic therapy is considered to be a form of alternative medicine."

Source

Does anyone use magnets for healing therapy? I know some people use them for pain and aches.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mattshark

• HerNibs

• fandango

• Lt_Ripley

Top Posters In This Topic

It is just placebo effects, it is absolute nonsense.

Let me guess, it works by attracting the iron in your blood to the top of your veins and iron concentrations in the top of your veins have healing powers? linked-image

Back in the early 90's when I lived in South Florida, I remember that the over 60 Cuban abuelitos (grandparents) were all sporting these little magnetic bracelets. For a few months, everyone was talking about how they felt more energetic and they were in less pain. Then, they stopped wearing them so much when it dawned on them that it had nothing to do with the stupid magnetic bracelet. As the grandfather of one friend explained to me at length, when he was wearing his, all the hype had made him expect results seeing as all his friends swore by them. So he pushed himself to be a little more active. Of course the pain got better because exercise in moderation is actually good for relieving those arthritic aches and pains. If this did anything miraculous, it was to convince a bunch of people that it might be a good idea to get off your bum and stop acting so old. The whole magnetic theory is hokey as all get out.

I need more coffee. I promise I stopped before I got too way off on that tangent. I know it's almost 3pm. Don't judge me. ;)

Back in the early 90's when I lived in South Florida, I remember that the over 60 Cuban abuelitos (grandparents) were all sporting these little magnetic bracelets. For a few months, everyone was talking about how they felt more energetic and they were in less pain. Then, they stopped wearing them so much when it dawned on them that it had nothing to do with the stupid magnetic bracelet. As the grandfather of one friend explained to me at length, when he was wearing his, all the hype had made him expect results seeing as all his friends swore by them. So he pushed himself to be a little more active. Of course the pain got better because exercise in moderation is actually good for relieving those arthritic aches and pains. If this did anything miraculous, it was to convince a bunch of people that it might be a good idea to get off your bum and stop acting so old. The whole magnetic theory is hokey as all get out.

I need more coffee. I promise I stopped before I got too way off on that tangent. I know it's almost 3pm. Don't judge me. ;)

back in the 90's I remember an acquaintance trying to sell magnetic shoe inserts . I told my ex the if she bought any I'd kill her ( not literally ! ). There was like a set of these and rather expensive !

just looking at a site ( I believe it may be the same brand ) they even sell pet mats !! ugh people are gullible.

*snip*

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons
removed link

• 4 weeks later...

Strangeley enough I have just designed a website for a client that does all the Magnetic Therapy products.

Check out their client comments *snip*

Also here is a Report on trials of these products by BMJ. The BMJ is published by BMJ Publishing Group Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of the British Medical Association.

Randomised controlled trial of magnetic bracelets for relieving pain in osteoarthritis of the hip and knee

Please do not link to sites selling products - Thanks Dot

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons
removed link

How?

Exactly how would they help?

I don't want to fish thru pages of comments or anything else. Just a nice summary of how slapping magnets to any part of my body will help?

I have arthritis in my hips and knees. Medical science barely helps but magnets will do it?

I have had a bunch of MRI's. That didn't do anything.

This makes me crazy.

Nibs

Magnetic Therapy

It is baseless junk and has shown to be so in tests.

How?

Exactly how would they help?

I don't want to fish thru pages of comments or anything else. Just a nice summary of how slapping magnets to any part of my body will help?

I have arthritis in my hips and knees. Medical science barely helps but magnets will do it?

I have had a bunch of MRI's. That didn't do anything.

This makes me crazy.

Nibs

Even that journal article is unsure that they have any effect. A lot report nothing above placebo. I personally believe that the whole thing is complete con.

Even that journal article is unsure that they have any effect. A lot report nothing above placebo. I personally believe that the whole thing is complete con.

:) Oh, I am sure it is a con as well.

I do exercise, diet and some pain management.

If a freaking magnet could help I would do that too. LOL

I see so many people buy into this unsupported silliness. It scares me and saddens me.

Nibs

Please do not link to sites selling products - Thanks Dot

OOps sorry :blush: