Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why animals see, what we don't see?

Bozena

Hi to all,

I was born in village, where is normal that people have dogs, cows, cats and other house animals. There is also small forest close to each house.

Now, I was very early interested about behaviour of them, although I went from the home pretty early. I have read all possible Esoteric magazines, where are explanations about animals and birds and their behaviour. F.e. dogs ranks in the night and nobody is there? They are very loud when somebody in the house is going to be sick or worse, when somebody is going to die.

As the forest was close there, I was freezing from the fear when owls were singing in the night. I always was thinking, my mother is going to die.

On the end wasn't owl, but the male night bird, Latin name "Athene noctua". It was singing (May 3rd) on the apple tree very close to our house. I knew there will be something bad, tried to send the bird away but always came back.

Next morning my mother told that she has foot pains and can't stand up. Slowly she has got gangrene. She should go for operation for the foot, but didn't, saying: I am not going to die without foot or leg! Gangrene has spread up to the knee and after 4 months she had to go to the hospital and had amputation of her leg until knee. Although, she had always good health, her heart was good. After loosing her leg, she has lost joy for the life and has died end of November (usually, my worst month).

Is anybody there that has similar experiences?

Thank you for feedback

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bozena

• Mattshark

• CurlyQLink

• ninjadude

I've never personally had an experience of this type, but I once saw a segment on television about a dog that had been trained to detect cancer, it was pretty compelling in my opinion. Animals do have superior senses that we already know about, and I have no doubt that they have capabilities that we don't know about yet.

I've never personally had an experience of this type, but I once saw a segment on television about a dog that had been trained to detect cancer, it was pretty compelling in my opinion. Animals do have superior senses that we already know about, and I have no doubt that they have capabilities that we don't know about yet.

Maybe you don't live in small village (I don't live now either), don't study behaviour of animals, like I did.

You know that animals are very often better friends than people? If you are good to them, they are good to you. Look the dogs! They adore people living with.

If we are good to the people (some) they can be very mean back. There is difference between animals and people.

As I like Esoteric very much, there is always somebody telling me something interesting: cats feel when the earthquake will come and they run away before it comes.

Regards,

B.

Maybe you don't live in small village (I don't live now either), don't study behaviour of animals, like I did.

You know that animals are very often better friends than people? If you are good to them, they are good to you. Look the dogs! They adore people living with.

If we are good to the people (some) they can be very mean back. There is difference between animals and people.

As I like Esoteric very much, there is always somebody telling me something interesting: cats feel when the earthquake will come and they run away before it comes.

Regards,

B.

Well I'm just finishing an MSc in Animal Behaviour and can tell you that is simply not true. Cats and dogs do not sense earthquake, that just come from poor reporting of one animal barking for unknown reasons prior to an earthquake and it is simply unjustifiable any such statement as plenty of cats and dogs are killed by earthquakes.

And people ARE animals, this is simply inescapable both physiologically and behaviourally.

Edited by Mattshark

I am sorry to hear of your mother's foot :(

I think I saw that same program :tu: It had something to do with scent. I also heard that having an animal can lower your blood pressure? They said that petting and stroking the animal relaxes you or something.

I also have heard many old wives tales like if a bird flies into a window; there will be a death surrounding you. I don't hold any truth in that but this post made me think of it.

Well I'm just finishing an MSc in Animal Behaviour and can tell you that is simply not true. Cats and dogs do not sense earthquake, that just come from poor reporting of one animal barking for unknown reasons prior to an earthquake and it is simply unjustifiable any such statement as plenty of cats and dogs are killed by earthquakes.

And people ARE animals, this is simply inescapable both physiologically and behaviourally.

I live in the area, where was pretty big earthquake. My best friend knows lots about that (finished University) and she told me about cats.

I don't have cats and can tell only about dogs and birds (night and day birds) as I know that because it happened to me.

About killed cats in big city it can be true, but my friend lives in the village.

Animals have 6th sense, that is proved. That people are animals: some of them are really!

B.

probably because animals are more in tune with nature?

and their lack of distracting worries, such as those that we have, probably gives them more time to notice more things

just a thought.

I am sorry to hear of your mother's foot :(

I think I saw that same program :tu: It had something to do with scent. I also heard that having an animal can lower your blood pressure? They said that petting and stroking the animal relaxes you or something.

I also have heard many old wives tales like if a bird flies into a window; there will be a death surrounding you. I don't hold any truth in that but this post made me think of it.

There are different birds: they bring good news and some (black) bring bad news.

When I went to Primary school, we used to get letter from my late grandmother from USA: of course with the money. Before that came small, pretty bird close to the house (I don't know name now) and used to sing very nice.

About bird flies into a window I have heard but didn't see that. Otherwise I could get a shock from the fear.

After Secondary school I have left my village and went away. I came to home every year once and was scared listening those night birds.

The life in the village gives sometimes more knowledge about animals than reading the books and living in the city. Simple, because they are all around us.

Regards,

B.

When I was visiting in California last year, my friend's Jack Russell began to bark and about 30 sec. later we had a 4.0 earthquake. Since a dog has a much keener sense of hearing and are lower to the ground, I think she just heard and felt it coming before we were able to. They don't sense anything with enough time to give any appreciable forwarning.

When I was visiting in California last year, my friend's Jack Russell began to bark and about 30 sec. later we had a 4.0 earthquake. Since a dog has a much keener sense of hearing and are lower to the ground, I think she just heard and felt it coming before we were able to. They don't sense anything with enough time to give any appreciable forwarning.

But they run away before you. That is enough for them. Earthquake happens in a seconds.

I live in the area, where was pretty big earthquake. My best friend knows lots about that (finished University) and she told me about cats.

I don't have cats and can tell only about dogs and birds (night and day birds) as I know that because it happened to me.

About killed cats in big city it can be true, but my friend lives in the village.

Animals have 6th sense, that is proved. That people are animals: some of them are really!

B.

Animals do not have a 6th sense (well some have more but none of it unusual, then again humans have 11). There is no scientific basis to animals detecting earthquakes, in is an urban myth that doesn't stand up to scientific enquiry. It happening to you is never evidence nor is it proof of anything because you cannot rule out any other factors. Sorry but there is no evidence of cats knowing about earthquakes before they happened.

Matt is, of course, correct. But animal behaviour during earthquakes is being looked at. Some earthquakes propogate in waves that build up over time. Buildings move and creak. Earthquakes don't happen instantly everywhere - although to our human senses, it seems so. We are generally oblivious to a lot of our world in daily life. Animal life is affected as the wave moves, if by nothing else than just being quiet for a few moments. Some animal senses, like hearing, are more acute than ours. Personally, I see no reason why they could not be aware via well known animal senses that something odd is happening nearby as the wave passes. I, myself, have witnessed agitated behaviour during some earthquakes, but not others. Not much of a predictor but explains this behaviour.

When dogs howel, it doesn't always mean someone is going to die it can also mean something bad has happened or is going to happen.

There is no proof that animals cannot predict earthquakes, but there is proof that they can predict a Tsunami and move to higher ground while (what was it 200,000) people drowned. So it's no stretch that they can sense earthquakes before they occur. If you ever had a paranormal experience, a dog will see...

There is no proof that animals cannot predict earthquakes, but there is proof that they can predict a Tsunami and move to higher ground while (what was it 200,000) people drowned. So it's no stretch that they can sense earthquakes before they occur. If you ever had a paranormal experience, a dog will see...

It is much easier to run away from Tsunami than from Earthquake. Earthquake happens in brighter area than Tsunami. Tsunami is coming high, so they have time to run higher.

I was on the 2nd floor, when 1998 happened Earthquake. It was first time that happened to me. I had no cats and no animals at all.

It was very strange and very quick as I was standing in the centre of the room. I was thinking: either will I fall down through the floor or the roof will fall on my head. Nothing happened, it wasn't so powerful Earthquake. It had repeated again and again, but wasn’t so afraid as the very first time.

Later I was told, that in such a case we should hide bellow table or go and stand between the door.

B.

The reporters after the tsunami all were amazed that so few animals got hurt. That doesn't sound like all the animals saw a wave and ran; I think they worked their way to higher ground well in advance, or it would not have been such an amazing report.

I have felt some BIG earthquakes. They really make you think about where you live...

probably because animals are more in tune with nature?

and their lack of distracting worries, such as those that we have, probably gives them more time to notice more things

just a thought.

It is the same as some person lives long in the forest. He knows how animals behave.

In big ciities many children even don't know how one cow looks like and less about her behaviour.

When dogs howel, it doesn't always mean someone is going to die it can also mean something bad has happened or is going to happen.

In each case is something bad. They "see" something we don't.

I know a young man who became very sick at age of 15 years and had to leave the school for four years. He had terrible dreams, night mares. After all that he can see the ghosts (I don't and don't want to see).

In the evening before his grandfather died, somebody has knocked on the door. He has oppened and saw his grandfather (who was at that time far away). Grandfather looked the same as human, but had no legs.

The next morning they get the call, that grandfather died.

This young man told me that ghosts are all around us: he can see them. The same is with dogs.

In each case is something bad. They "see" something we don't.

I know a young man who became very sick at age of 15 years and had to leave the school for four years. He had terrible dreams, night mares. After all that he can see the ghosts (I don't and don't want to see).

In the evening before his grandfather died, somebody has knocked on the door. He has oppened and saw his grandfather (who was at that time far away). Grandfather looked the same as human, but had no legs.

The next morning they get the call, that grandfather died.

This young man told me that ghosts are all around us: he can see them. The same is with dogs.

I'm sorry but that is really baseless and requires 1)ignoring a lot of what we know about dogs and 2) complete conjecture with no basis for the claim what so ever.

I'm sorry but that is really baseless and requires 1)ignoring a lot of what we know about dogs and 2) complete conjecture with no basis for the claim what so ever.

In this case man can talk about ghosts and dogs can't. There is a difference!

In this case man can talk about ghosts and dogs can't. There is a difference!

And you are jumping to a conclusion that an animal can see something that there is no evidence of based conjecture.

What about a dog or a cat that stares for a long time at a door, or out a window, for some unknown reason.

Especially at night, this can be unnerving.

Try leaving the door open and see what happens ^_^

They just want to go outside to.. do what ever it is they do.. Go for a pint or something?

A dogs howling has nothing to do with the arrival of good or bad events. Some breeds are more vocal than others. Its a form of communication. My dogs are not known to be a vocal breed however, every now & then they just howl. Usually its when they hear another dog barking. As for Earthquakes, Tsunamis, etc I think that they just feel the event sooner that people. There senses are much more sharper than ours,,,,

Edited by CurlyQLink