Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Solved] Server hard drive failure

Saru

There will be a four-hour site downtime on July 23rd between 2:30am-6:30am CDT ( 8:30am-12:30pm BST ) while scheduled hardware maintenance is carried out to investigate a possible failure in one of our server's hard drives.

Apologies in advance for any inconvenience this may cause.

Edited by Saru
Updated scheduled time

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• Mistydawn

• HerNibs

• schizoidwoman

The scheduled time in GMT is 7:30am-11:30pm ( 1 hour behind BST )

Updated to note the scheduled time has been pushed back 1 and a half hours from what was originally posted, the announcement times have been updated to reflect the change.

Thanks for the headsup! I try and keep myself from going crazy. ^^;

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nibs

Thanks for the heads up....I'll prepare myself ^_^

You mean we mods get half a day? We get a break? :o

I'm free?!

:lol:

Well the good news is that the current maintenance is complete, the bad news is that it discovered that our primary hard drive is failing and needs to be replaced which is going to mean more disruptions to the site and forums.

More details to follow.

Well the good news is that the current maintenance is complete, the bad news is that it discovered that our primary hard drive is failing and needs to be replaced which is going to mean more disruptions to the site and forums.

More details to follow.

I'm wondering just how expensive all this can become? I know hardware and software is becomeing less expensive each year, but ...?

Karlis

Because the issue is due to a hardware failure our service provider will replace the drive free of charge. :tu:

The main issue here will be that we're going to be one server down while the drive is replaced and the system is set up again from scratch so we'll be running on 50% capacity for a while.

I think we can expect some server load issues, slowdowns and the disabling of resource-hogging features such as the search facilities, with any luck i'll be able to keep the site running throughout the process.

Overall however the disruptions should last no longer than a couple of days.

Sheesh, life without my UM friends... hard! :(

Sheesh, life without my UM friends... hard! :(

I'm getting the chills just thinking about it!

I'm getting the chills just thinking about it!

Snuggle up, wee goosey feathers!! :)

Because the issue is due to a hardware failure our service provider will replace the drive free of charge. :tu:

The main issue here will be that we're going to be one server down while the drive is replaced and the system is set up again from scratch so we'll be running on 50% capacity for a while.

I think we can expect some server load issues, slowdowns and the disabling of resource-hogging features such as the search facilities, with any luck i'll be able to keep the site running throughout the process.

Overall however the disruptions should last no longer than a couple of days.

Does switching the page to lo-fi version makes the loading faster at this point of time?

Thanks for the advance warning

B???

Does switching the page to lo-fi version makes the loading faster at this point of time?

Yes the lo-fi version will be faster.

Update

I'm going to start moving us across to the second server so that work can begin on the primary one, the move will take a few hours however there shouldn't be any downtime.

If you run in to any unexpected error messages over the next few hours please let me know.

Yes the lo-fi version will be faster.

Update

I'm going to start moving us across to the second server so that work can begin on the primary one, the move will take a few hours however there shouldn't be any downtime.

If you run in to any unexpected error messages over the next few hours please let me know.

Hey God!! (Well you might as well be, cause I haven't a clue WHAT you are talking about!!!)

My only request is that you deep any 'down time' to the minimum, we are addicts, after all!!! :)

:cry:

I may be forced to work at work.

Nibs

Nibs

I know, what's that all about?

Nibs

Nah!!! :D Don't make me laugh, :lol::D there's no such thing!!! ( I believe in the un-beliveable...cept when it's WORK!!!! :lol: )

My bosses will freak and expect me to do it more often.

This can't end well.

Nibs

My bosses will freak and expect me to do it more often.

This can't end well.

Nibs

Aw, it can if you look anything like your avator!! Instant promotion!

Neah, you don wanna do that.... :wacko:

You really don't...