Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Solved] Server hard drive failure

Saru

You really don't...

Why?

*hovering cursor over link*

Nibs

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• Mistydawn

• HerNibs

• schizoidwoman

Why?

Nibs

it will make your brain explode over point-less-ness :yes:

it will make your brain explode over point-less-ness :yes:

Oh.

That would be messy.

I'll need my brain someday.

:)

Thanks!

Nibs

*clicks on gossip site instead*

I understand how this all works. As long as nothing goes wrong with the switching and the swiping and the servers don't get spooked then we'll be okay. Doesn't usually take long at all and the wait is worth it.

Thanks for the heads up and good luck to this, Saru. Hope all goes well. :yes:

In the meantime, you guys could actually get some work done and/or exercise your back and legs from sitting in front of the PC for who knows how long. :o:lol:

Ok that explains why I got the "page cannot be found" error a few minutes ago *whew* I was about to have UM withdrawl symptoms!

Heres a little bug spray to ease the server transition

linked-image

Update

Ok so the move across to our second server has gone quite smoothly, i'll be initiating the replacement of the failing hard drive shortly - some people for whom their nameservers haven't updated may experience some downtime while others will experience none at all depending on your ISP.

If all goes according to plan we should be up and running properly again some time tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Update

Ok so the move across to our second server has gone quite smoothly, i'll be initiating the replacement of the failing hard drive shortly - some people for whom their nameservers haven't updated may experience some downtime while others will experience none at all depending on your ISP.

If all goes according to plan we should be up and running properly again some time tomorrow, fingers crossed.

linked-image

linked-image

linked-image

Why?

Nibs

Because I don't have a Facebook page and would have to make one if UM went Facebook (my motives are purely selfish :yes: )!

Edited by schizoidwoman

Question for you, Saru. I've never encountered this problem before but with server HD failure, is that what's causing some of the glitch on changes we make, like user name? Just wondering.

Question for you, Saru. I've never encountered this problem before but with server HD failure, is that what's causing some of the glitch on changes we make, like user name? Just wondring.

There shouldn't be any glitches, can you describe the problem you are having for me ?

Update

The faulty hard drive has been replaced and we should be back up and running on both servers tomorrow.

Yay, awesome!

There shouldn't be any glitches, can you describe the problem you are having for me ?

Well, I changed my user name, right? So when I logged back in I was using my new name and it wasn't working. I tried a few times, made me wonder what was wrong. Then I tried loggin' in with my old name and voila, it worked. But I was logged in as my new name? Then when you mentioned this update, I wondered if it's got to do with it. Yea, this update shouldn't cause it but I thought I'd ask anyways, just in case. :)

Well, I changed my user name, right? So when I logged back in I was using my new name and it wasn't working. I tried a few times, made me wonder what was wrong. Then I tried loggin' in with my old name and voila, it worked. But I was logged in as my new name? Then when you mentioned this update, I wondered if it's got to do with it. Yea, this update shouldn't cause it but I thought I'd ask anyways, just in case. :)

You still sign in with your original username, no matter what you change it to on the site. :)

Remember that you have two names, a login and a display name. When you do a name change your display name is updated but your login name stays the same, so you'll still need to use the old one when logging in. :tu:

* edit * Ah Libby you beat me to it. :P

Edited by Saru

Oh I see, well that makes more sense then, weird but yea, lol. Thanks, guys. :)

Update

Everything's gone according to plan and things are more or less back to normal now.

The chat room is still down however I will be updating our chat room software to a new version very soon indeed which will provide some new features that I think will be worth the wait. ;)

Update

Everything's gone according to plan and things are more or less back to normal now.

The chat room is still down however I will be updating our chat room software to a new version very soon indeed which will provide some new features that I think will be worth the wait. ;)

Hurry!! *Rocks back and forth in chair anxiously* :cry:

Now that things are mostly back to normal i'll set this thread to complete and open a new one about the chat room as the original hard drive failure issue has been resolved.

Closed.