Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bill Cosby's Highly Controversial Statement

ExpandMyMind

This is actually word for word what he said to a gathering of students who asked about the bailout in America

'They're standing on the corner and they can't speak English.'

I can't even talk the way these people talk:

Why you ain't,?

Where you is,?

What he drive,?

Where he stay,?

Where he work,?

Who you be...?

And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk.

And then I heard the father talk.

Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth

In fact you will never get any kind of job making a decent living.

People marched and were hit in the face with rocks to get an Education, and now we've got these knuckleheads walking around.

The lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal.

These people are not parenting. They are buying things for kids.

$500 sneakers for what??

And they won't spend $200 for Hooked on Phonics.

I am talking about these people who cry when their son is standing there in an orange suit.

Where were you when he was 2

Where were you when he was 12?

Where were you when he was 18 and how come you didn't know that he had a pistol?

And where is the father? Or who is his father?

People putting their clothes on backward:?

Isn't that a sign of something gone wrong?

People with their hats on backward, pants down around the crack, isn't that a sign of something???

Isn't it a sign of something when she has her dress all the way up and got all type of needles [piercing] going through her body?

What part of Africa did this come from?

We are not Africans. Those people are not Africans; they don't know a thing about Africa.

I say this all of the time. It would be like white people saying they are European-American. That is totally stupid.

I was born here, and so were my parents and grand parents and, very likely my great grandparents. I don't have any connection to Africa, no more than white Americans have to Germany, Scotland, England, Ireland, or the Netherlands?. The same applies to 99 percent of all the black Americans as regards to Africa.

So stop, already! ! !

With names like Shaniqua, Taliqua and Mohammed and all of that crap .....

and all of them are in jail.

Brown or black versus the Board of Education is no longer the white person's problem.

We have got to take the neighborhood back.

People used to be ashamed. Today a woman has eight children with eight different 'husbands' -- or men or whatever you call them now.

We have millionaire football players who cannot read.

We have million-dollar basketball players who can't write two paragraphs. We, as black folks have to do a better job.

Someone working at Wal-Mart with seven kids, you are hurting us.

We have to start holding each other to a higher standard.

We cannot blame the white people any longer.'

Dr. William Henry 'Bill' Cosby, Jr., Ed.D.

http://moneytalks.net/index.php?option=com...2&Itemid=62

i think he's 100% correct.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kimi81

• conspiracybeliever

• ExpandMyMind

• The Silver Thong

I agree, but it's not just black people.

I think you find people like the ones he is railing against in every race.

Standards are tanking, and everyone pays for it.

I agree with you. Its not just the poor blacks who are to blame its everybody. American kids now care more about whats in the media then they do about whats in their text books, the history of the ancestors and being a good descent human being. You as a 16 year old girl in the US is suffrage was a good thing that happened in history and she will say no because it sounds bad, even though her great grandmother fought hard in the suffrage movement. Morons are raising morons in the US and so far no one has had the balls to really say anything about it untill now, GOOD FOR YOU BILL COSBY!

I thought Bill Cosby was an actor and comedian. He's not a scholar. Why is he constantly putting down the poor black people. We can't all be at the top. We just can't. It's not possible. I think Bill and Oprah need to stay in their mansions and look donw at everyone else and shut their mouths. I don't see where either one have done anything exceptional. Sorry but they're entertainment.

Encouraging people to respect and acquire a good education is always a good idea. Everyone should be able to read and write and being able to speak properly are invaluable communications skills. People we hold up as role models should reinforce at least the basic principles of a good education, but if you offer someone a 20 million dollar contract, that's not providing a lot of incentive.

None of us are really tied to the countries of our origins, the way we speak and dress are strictly in the American conciousness. A lot of people work in low income jobs. There's nothing wrong with working at Walmart, but educating oneself to work in a better paying profession requires effort from each individual.

However you have to look at the rising frequency in white collar crime, so education doesn't necessarily mean a person would not be tempted to break the law, but I do think that education increases self-esteem. Clothes make the man.

What he is saying is true in many cases; whether it6 is politically correct for him to say it however, is another matter entirely. But, this isn't new... this was passed around, and arrived in my inbox a year or two ago.

But, moreover, who is he to talk? He settled out of court the sexual assault, drug and battery case against him last year, see link:

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1162980324863

And here is a link to the ten other women that have come forward to accuse him of similar crimes...

http://www.theipinionsjournal.com/index.ph...al-assaultrape/

Here is an article discussing the the case from last year...

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/04200...ll_cosby_1.html

I think Bill Cosby may be listening to Pastor Manning. Not that what he says is wrong but that what he says is true and hardly heard from the black community.

Take a look at this clip of Pastor Manning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCFU2l0z5G8

wow

He's right.

But, he's an old racist.

"We can't keep on blaming the white people"?

With that kinda stigma, to which he carries in his thought processes - that white people were and are to blame for a persons actions - he should put away in a home, way over in a desert somewhere. So we can forget they ever existed, and actually progress in our society.

Anyone idiotic enough, to carry a past, that does not even BELONG to them, should all be but forgotten. Carrying the past, is not the same as learning and progressing from the past, it's being stagnant.

It's like the English or Scots blaming the Dutch for everything. Because they enslaved our countrymen for over 500 years, it's stupid.

It's not even only some young Black people who behave like the OT. It's vitually all imbeciles from a majority of races, who think they're 'gangsta'.

Sorry for the rant. It just annoys me when people go for a cop out and blame an ENTIRE race for any difficulty a man may have. He's right, but if he's blind enough to only see that some young Black people have a gangsta culture, then he's surely never going to see that that gangsta culture (to which he described) is visible in much of the civilised world. Apart from the religious oppressive countries... But that's obvious why. (Imagine the Pope with heavy gold chains and gold rings... Oh wait. Nevermind.)

Edit: Typo heaven.

Edited by GreyWeather

I thought Bill Cosby was an actor and comedian. He's not a scholar. Why is he constantly putting down the poor black people. We can't all be at the top. We just can't. It's not possible. I think Bill and Oprah need to stay in their mansions and look donw at everyone else and shut their mouths. I don't see where either one have done anything exceptional. Sorry but they're entertainment.

i would say he was qualified to speak of such matters

* On March 8, 2009, Cosby presented and hosted the 'Some Enchanted Evening' Musical birthday Salute to senator Edward Kennedy.

* On December 5, 2008, Cosby received an Honorary Degree of Doctor of Humane Letters from Virginia Commonwealth University.

* Cosby received an Honorary Degree of Doctor of Humane Letters from Carnegie Mellon University at its 2007 commencement ceremony, where he was also the keynote speaker.[17]

* Cosby received an Honorary Degree of Doctor of Humane Letters from Yale University on 2003.[18]

* Cosby received Honorary Degrees from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute[15] and the University of Cincinnati in 2001.

* Cosby received an Honorary Degree in 2003 presented by President William Harjo LoneFight from the Sisseton Wahpeton College on the Lake Traverse Reservation for his contributions to minority education.

* Cosby received an Honorary Doctorate from West Chester University of Pennsylvania during the 2003 graduation ceremony.

* Cosby received an Honorary Doctorate from Baylor University (September 4, 2003 "Spirit Rally").

* Cosby received an Honorary Doctorate from Haverford College, May 2002.[19] (Doctor of Humane Letters, honoris causa)

* Cosby received an Honorary Doctorate from Amherst College, May 1999. (Doctor of Humane Letters, honoris causa)

* Cosby received an Honorary Doctorate from the University of Pennsylvania in May 1997. He also served as the commencement speaker.

* In a British 2005 poll to find The Comedian's Comedian, he was voted among the top 50 comedy acts ever by fellow comedians and comedy insiders.

* He received Kennedy Center Honors in 1998.[20]

* He was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2002.

* He received an Honorary Doctor of Music Degree from Berklee College of Music during the 2004 commencement ceremony.[21] Cosby was also a speaker at the school's 60th anniversary concert in 2005.

* He won the 2003 Bob Hope Humanitarian Award.

* In 1969, he received the third in a long line of prestigious "Man of the Year" awards from Harvard University's famed performance group, the Hasty Pudding Theatricals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Cosby#Personal_life

he is an extremely literate man with quite a few Honorary Degree of Doctor of Humane Letters under his belt. not to mention the presidential medal of freedom.

plus he is one hell of a father. you should read his book, 'fatherhood'. it really is quite excellent.

i don't think that other cultures and races are in question here (for example some of what he says could be said about scottish neds, english chavs, white american's who think they're black, polish thugs and some australian aboriginies to name but a small few). the point being made is from his very own perspective, about his very own people. black people fought tooth in nail to get the rights that they deserved, something he watched and no doubt participated in himself, and the next generation has just crapped all over their hard work. they have almost ruined everything that so many fought and even died for, trampling their own name through the mud and bill cosby has every right to give them a kick up the backside... in my opinion.

Edited by expandmymind

He's right.

But, he's an old racist.

With that kinda stigma, to which he carries in his thought processes - that white people were and are to blame for a persons actions - he should put away in a home, way over in a desert somewhere. So we can forget they ever existed, and actually progress in our society.

Anyone idiotic enough, to carry a past, that does not even BELONG to them, should all be but forgotten. Carrying the past, is not the same as learning and progressing from the past, it's being stagnant.

It's like the English or Scots blaming the Dutch for everything. Because they enslaved our countrymen for over 500 years, it's stupid.

It's not even only Black people who behave like the OT. It's vitually all imbeciles from a majority of races, who think they're 'gangsta'.

Sorry for the rant. It just annoys me when people go for a cop out and blame an ENTIRE race for any difficulty a man may have. He's right, but if he's blind enough to only see that some young Black people have a gangsta culture, then he's surely never going to see that that gangsta culture (to which he described) is visible in much of the civilised world. Apart from the religious oppressive countries... But that's obvious why. (Imagine the Pope with heavy gold chains and gold rings... Oh wait. Nevermind.)

Edit: Typo heaven.

You're right of course, GreyWeather; I intended to imply in my post that this is a human nature thing, of all races, not just one race... a lesson to me not to post in a hurry and whilst multi-tasking.

What he is saying is true in many cases; whether it6 is politically correct for him to say it however, is another matter entirely. But, this isn't new... this was passed around, and arrived in my inbox a year or two ago.

But, moreover, who is he to talk? He settled out of court the sexual assault, drug and battery case against him last year, see link:

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1162980324863

And here is a link to the ten other women that have come forward to accuse him of similar crimes...

http://www.theipinionsjournal.com/index.ph...al-assaultrape/

Here is an article discussing the the case from last year...

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/04200...ll_cosby_1.html

:o

And all this time I thought he was the happy Fat Albert and the fun loving Jello guy and a doctor lol I really had no idea Bill was such a ummm scummy guy.

he isn't blaming an entire race. he's blaming certain individuals for bringing the rest of the race down.

Edited by expandmymind

:o

And all this time I thought he was the happy Fat Albert and the fun loving Jello guy and a doctor lol I really had no idea Bill was such a ummm scummy guy.

Yes, it shattered my illusions of a real stand up guy, and someone of whom many looked up to, including me...

he isn't blaming an entire race. he's blaming certain individuals for bringing the rest of the race down.

Not really. He's blaming an entire race.

We cannot blame the white people any longer.'

He didn't say "We cannot blame certain white people any longer."

People like this guy, who people look up to or at least, used to look up to. Who keep us stagnant with thoughts like this.

Except, Cosby has finally decided that White people aren't to blame for this new culture. Shock horror.

---

But the guy is right, up until his last lil' paragraph of the gangsta culture that spreads through the western world. But, what culture hasn't acted like this before? And where are they now?

Mods and the Rockers, for instance.

Edited by GreyWeather

The way he talks about young people, the way they dress and act. What if he were a rich white guy talking about poor white kids like this? I would have said the same thing. Some of you probably would have said worse. Is Bill trying to say he never went with popular fashion? He never followed his peers? The way they talked and the way they dressed? Older people have always spoke of new fashions this way. Things change. Kids of all color do the same. Why should black kids be different because they are black?

Strangely, his saying aply well to some of the youth here in Argentina. Poverty and drugs can get some of the population to a lower standard, but idiots and idiotic TV stars seems to be the main causes of making these kids the lowest common denominator.

Not really. He's blaming an entire race.

i don't interprit it that way. could you explain how you came to that conclusion please?

Good for him, I think he's right, I don't think he's blamin' an entire race and further more some of that stuff apply to other races, not just black people. And he's right, maybe to describe your skin color you can say African-American but if you were born here regardless of the color of your skin, you should just be an American.

i don't interprit it that way. could you explain how you came to that conclusion please?

Well. The entire phrase?

I guess we're reading it differently. I can't see how you came to yur conclusion, so the only conclusion available. Is the fact we're reading the quote differently.

:P .

I'm reading it the way it's laid out. "...The white people." Aka, the White race. Just like when Martin Luther spoke of 'His people' - the Black population, he's referring to a race.

Just to clarify, I don't mean he's stating the entire White race - I exagerated in my last comment I guess. He's stating the entire white race in - say America - are/were to blame for everything else.

That's the way I'm reading it.

Edited by GreyWeather

Bill Cosby is absolutely right in this situation.

As a response to a poster above, did Bill Cosby ever dress like his peers with popular styles? No. He wore Cosby sweaters.

Obviously you don't know who Bill Cosby is.... Now I'll go enjoy some New Coca Cola and some Puddin' Pops!

I agree with him in many ways, many people just don't seem to have the drive to better themselves in every way possible, especially some of the poor who just sit back and work the system to their favor. Many of the wealthy got where they are through a lot of learning and hard work. Some wealthy inherited their wealth, but that was still made possible by the original fruits of hard work.

Edited by SpIdErCyDe

He's right and hes wrong, its not a race issue at all, its a generation issue. There are generations of kids from all races, countries and social classes growing up with their pants around their knees, making babies with what ever will let them, and speaking what can be at best described as butchered english.

My take on it is that he's telling people that when they allow themselves to look and act like loosers, thats how they will be percieved. White, black, pee green and wrinkled, if you dont have enough self respect to dress and act like you want to suceed, then you have only yourself to blame when you fail.

He's right and hes wrong, its not a race issue at all, its a generation issue. There are generations of kids from all races, countries and social classes growing up with their pants around their knees, making babies with what ever will let them, and speaking what can be at best described as butchered english.

My take on it is that he's telling people that when they allow themselves to look and act like loosers, thats how they will be percieved. White, black, pee green and wrinkled, if you dont have enough self respect to dress and act like you want to suceed, then you have only yourself to blame when you fail.

Just curious, which race is Pee Green again?