Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bill Cosby's Highly Controversial Statement

ExpandMyMind

you're still missing the point. read my post near the beginning of this thread and you'll see my opinion. your getting your knickers in a twist for nothing kim.

I'm not getting my (knickers? :blink: ) in a twist. I'm simply trying to point out that youth of all races are being corrupted. These issues are not exclusive to the black community, it's happening everywhere. And how can you speak on a community that you have never stepped foot in, based of of statistics you pulled off the internet? Bill Cosby has been wealthy for a long time, and is so far removed and out of touch with the black community today that he has no clue about whats taking place, he also offering up a lot of critisism without solutions to help solve the issue. I debated about this issue with a coworker of mine from a rural community in TX the other day, he was saying the same things about how black youths are so corrupted and gang bangers, and I had to remind him that the majority of his "white" community, including his own teenaged daughters were addicted to meth :innocent: People are so quick to judge others communities and are blind to, or forgetful about, what is taking place in they're own backyard.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kimi81

• conspiracybeliever

• ExpandMyMind

• The Silver Thong

Bill Cosby has been talking about this for decades and he's 100% right. Far too many youth seem to look on criminals are role models. They whine about 'the Man' keeping them down but put zero effort in trying to better themselves. They just want everything to be given to them.

As for Cosby's comments on the whole able to black community I don't see it as him attacking the whole community. He is pointing out a large problem, not saying that all black people are punks. That as a community they need to come together and try to fix this problem. Taking it personally only means that his words are ignored and the problem continues. Now of course whites, asians, latino, etc have the same problem but then Cosby isn't a 'member' of those races. He's black so it's only naturally that he would comment on the black community.

I agree, but it's not just black people.

I think you find people like the ones he is railing against in every race.

Standards are tanking, and everyone pays for it.

Question is -- "why" are standards-values-morals deteriorating?

Now Karlis, that is the million dollar question ;)

It seems like we are going downhill morally as a Nation all together and it's not exclusive to any one race of people. I'm eager to see people's answers for this question. Everyone wants to point fingers and blame one race or community for things while everything is going to hell in a hand basket :hmm:

Ok, these are interesting statistics, but all they prove is that black men are arrested more than other nationalities.

Now I will ask you, besides reading statistics and watching things on TV, have you ever been to a black community personally, or done anything to give you first hand knowledge on the subject besides watching the news and reading statistics? Also, are black youths the only one's on the path to destruction? Suburban teens are using drugs, dropping out of school, and getting pregnant at a much higher rate as well. While you are searching for statistics you might want to include those as well. Or is the black community to blame for that as well? :rolleyes:

I am a white woman and I have been in "black" communities... in fact my father was an inner-city minister for 20 years in my hometown. I have seen what Mr. Cosby talks about and I think he is right on the money. You may be offended that he did not include white or hispanic kids in his address, but he is a black man speaking to the black community to wake up and stop ruining themselves. If he was a white man, he would speak the white community, if he was hispanic...etc. If you do not agree that the parents are a huge part of why black children end up suffering, give us some data that speaks to that... from my personal observance, I have seen parents encourage their children's drug use (because the parents do it), gun possession (because the parents have them), ebonics usage (because that's how the "black man" talks and if you don't you're trying to be white), and all other sorts of ridiculous stereotypical child-rearing that frankly is destroying the future of the black community. You may not like that people see what is going on and form opinions and statistics concerning the black community in this country, but facts are facts. I for one would love to see the black community rise up as they have always talked about and own more successful businesses, lead more corporations, attend more affluent schools, and stop trying to be ghetto-fabulous, booty-licious, and thug-style. If the black community would stop trying to be different than everyone else and find some other way to be successful that does not include drugs, guns, and sex this whole country would be transformed.

Finally, I would not want anyone to think that my opinion of all black people is what I have written. My own black sister-in-law is a successful IO psychology PH.D. and is hugely desireable to majorglobal corporations. I do not believe that all black parents raise their children irresponsibly and I do not believe that all colleges are full of nothing but white kids. However, I run on the treadmill everyday watching the Bill Cosby show on DVD and wishing that the programs on television today gave the black community the same kind of respect and encouragement as that program did in the 80's. Instead we have horrible shows like I Love New York, and that Flava Flav travesty, and almost all the music videos produced which make the black community out to be nothing but a product of slavery with no hope for the future except through drugs, guns, and sex. Wake up black people! Stop letting the media and the entertainment industry define who you are and what you can be!

I say amen to Bill Cosby and his efforts, and after reading the previously posted articles defaming his character, I say that anything having to do with the Inquirer is ridiculous. He has never been convicted of anything, his marriage is intact, he has admitted when he has done wrong, and I think anyone who tries to ruin his reputation is unbelievable.

Edited by moonlit12

Of course it's not every black person. I mean considering Bill Cosby is black himself that should be obvious. And of course it's not just black people, it's just that much of the modern "gangster" corruption originated from black culture, and while it does occur within whites as well, it originated in blacks. Note I am not implying it's some sort of racial or genetic thing; minorities who feel oppressed by the white man or whatever tend to "rebel", so to speak, and sometimes whites copy this subculture. Not all blacks, but a good percentage. Eliminating racism from society needs to be done on both sides, and Cosby is spot on.

Ok, you do make some valid points but you have to aknowledge that youth in general are idealizing this lifesyle. I can go to any suburban school and see kids dressing and talking "hip hop". Kids of all races look up to these figures much more than the white community realizes or wants to aknowledge. Meth use, teenager pregnancy, and a lot of other things are becoming more rampant and widespread in white communities as well, so who do you blame for these things increasing in middle class communities.

Becaue standards, values, and morals were originally faith-based and faith is under attack and has been for a long time.

It's not just black youth it's all youth. And I don't believe they are any worse now than they've ever been. Look back at our history. Adults have always said this about youth. And the music is now rap that we're blaming. In the 50's and 60's it was rock. It has nothing to do with music. And I still think Bill is wrong. It always sounds like he's saying people of his generation fought the fight and now everything is hunkydory. They paved the way and now all our children have to worry about is getting an education and it will be be a perfect world. And that education is not free. That isn't an option for everyone. How are they to pay for an education when there aren't enough jobs to go around. Thank God the young people are sending out the message that there are still problems out there. There is still a fight. It's not a perfect world. Not by a longshot. There is still a fight but it has no color. It's the rich against the poor. I think we're slowly coming into another civil rights movement but it won't be about color this time.

I am a white woman and I have been in "black" communities... in fact my father was an inner-city minister for 20 years in my hometown. I have seen what Mr. Cosby talks about and I think he is right on the money. You may be offended that he did not include white or hispanic kids in his address, but he is a black man speaking to the black community to wake up and stop ruining themselves. If he was a white man, he would speak the white community, if he was hispanic...etc. If you do not agree that the parents are a huge part of why black children end up suffering, give us some data that speaks to that... from my personal observance, I have seen parents encourage their children's drug use (because the parents do it), gun possession (because the parents have them), ebonics usage (because that's how the "black man" talks and if you don't you're trying to be white), and all other sorts of ridiculous stereotypical child-rearing that frankly is destroying the future of the black community. You may not like that people see what is going on and form opinions and statistics concerning the black community in this country, but facts are facts. I for one would love to see the black community rise up as they have always talked about and own more successful businesses, lead more corporations, attend more affluent schools, and stop trying to be ghetto-fabulous, booty-licious, and thug-style. If the black community would stop trying to be different than everyone else and find some other way to be successful that does not include drugs, guns, and sex this whole country would be transformed.

Finally, I would not want anyone to think that my opinion of all black people is what I have written. My own black sister-in-law is a successful IO psychology PH.D. and is hugely desireable to majorglobal corporations. I do not believe that all black parents raise their children irresponsibly and I do not believe that all colleges are full of nothing but white kids. However, I run on the treadmill everyday watching the Bill Cosby show on DVD and wishing that the programs on television today gave the black community the same kind of respect and encouragement as that program did in the 80's. Instead we have horrible shows like I Love New York, and that Flava Flav travesty, and almost all the music videos produced which make the black community out to be nothing but a product of slavery with no hope for the future except through drugs, guns, and sex. Wake up black people! Stop letting the media and the entertainment industry define who you are and what you can be!

I say amen to Bill Cosby and his efforts, and after reading the previously posted articles defaming his character, I say that anything having to do with the Inquirer is ridiculous. He has never been convicted of anything, his marriage is intact, he has admitted when he has done wrong, and I think anyone who tries to ruin his reputation is unbelievable.

well said :tu:

and kim i'm not saying that this kind of thing only happens with black people, if you had bothered to read my post that i told you about you would see my opinion. as many have already said (and it seems to be falling on deaf ears with you) bill cosby is speaking of these things because it's his race, which he has seen steadily decline in reputation and moral values for years, after so many years of fighting...

well said :tu:

and kim i'm not saying that this kind of thing only happens with black people, if you had bothered to read my post that i told you about you would see my opinion. as many have already said (and it seems to be falling on deaf ears with you) bill cosby is speaking of these things because it's his race, which he has seen steadily decline in reputation and moral values for years, after so many years of fighting...

I did not in fact read your post, and I was not replying directly to it. Sorry for the misunderstanding, I'll go read it now...

WAIT, now I got really confused... you meant the other Kim (kim81), my name is Kim too, so I thought you were talking to me :lol:

Sorry again!

Edited by moonlit12

If the black community would stop trying to be different than everyone else and find some other way to be successful that does not include drugs, guns, and sex this whole country would be transformed.

Again you have valid points but I'll continue to say it IT'S NOT JUST BLACK YOUTH!!! There are plenty of white girls striving to be bootylicous as well. And for every show like flavor of love you have shows like Rock of love, or the girls next door, which is the same premise invloving white women demorilzing themselves the same way. The media and poor parenting is affecting the nation as a whole, I will also repeat that my little sister went to a majority white high school and over 20 "white" girls were pregnant in they're junior year of school, this stuff isn't just happening in the ghetto anymore. I have more white girlfriends that are "baby momma's" to multiple men then I have black female friends. This stuff is happening everywhere and to all classes of people and when people wake up and seel that then maye a solution can be found.

It's not just black youth it's all youth. And I don't believe they are any worse now than they've ever been. Look back at our history.

how can you possibly say that the youth of today is no worse than the youth of 50 years ago? i'm a bit shocked that anyone could think that...

Edited by expandmymind

Becaue standards, values, and morals were originally faith-based and faith is under attack and has been for a long time.
Any guesses as to where the key bastions of these attackers are based? How about certain groups in the UN? In education leadership positions of the 'academia'?

Just mentioning a couple, :)

Karlis

Again you have valid points but I'll continue to say it IT'S NOT JUST BLACK YOUTH!!!

this thread is about the black youth though. in particular cosby's comments on them.

for some reason you seem to be taking offense.

I did not in fact read your post, and I was not replying directly to it. Sorry for the misunderstanding, I'll go read it now...

WAIT, now I got really confused... you meant the other Kim (kim81), my name is Kim too, so I thought you were talking to me :lol:

Sorry again!

:lol: that's cool. funny

yeah i was referring to kim81 :D

here we are getting bent .... but fact is every generation has said the same or similar about the next. Cosby isn't unique. I do think this boarders however on racism if this was posted by someone white ...

let's post some white redneck illiteracy ?

It's not just black youth it's all youth. And I don't believe they are any worse now than they've ever been. Look back at our history. Adults have always said this about youth. And the music is now rap that we're blaming. In the 50's and 60's it was rock. It has nothing to do with music. And I still think Bill is wrong. It always sounds like he's saying people of his generation fought the fight and now everything is hunkydory. They paved the way and now all our children have to worry about is getting an education and it will be be a perfect world. And that education is not free. That isn't an option for everyone. How are they to pay for an education when there aren't enough jobs to go around. Thank God the young people are sending out the message that there are still problems out there. There is still a fight. It's not a perfect world. Not by a longshot. There is still a fight but it has no color. It's the rich against the poor. I think we're slowly coming into another civil rights movement but it won't be about color this time.

Wow, you have an interesting viewpoint and I've never thought of it that way before. I actually agree with most of what you said, all except the statement that morals are not deteriorating, if these people pulled up statistics for today's youth in general and not just black youth, they would find that teen pregnancy, drug use, crime, all those things have increased dramatically across the board in every community. I do think my generation is lacking the same morals that my parents generation had, I look at teenage girls sending naked text and pics over the phone, Myspace and facebook accounts with pics of kids doing crazy things right under they're parents noses, today's music (not just rap), today's youth don't hold the same standards, and things seem to be getting worse. I have white friends getting hooked on Meth and Heroine at an alarming rate right before my eyes. I have black friends selling drugs and going in and out of jail. I don't know what's going on but I feel like my generation is becoming morally bankrupt.

Any race has individuals who seem ruin it for the others who are actually trying hard to change perceptions and better themselves. Those individuals somehow aren't bright enough to realize that they're furthering their own negative stereotypes.

That's why everyone should elect me next term, I will eradicate everyon....err every stereotype and begin anew! :innocent:

Edited by SpIdErCyDe

Again you have valid points but I'll continue to say it IT'S NOT JUST BLACK YOUTH!!! There are plenty of white girls striving to be bootylicous as well. And for every show like flavor of love you have shows like Rock of love, or the girls next door, which is the same premise invloving white women demorilzing themselves the same way. The media and poor parenting is affecting the nation as a whole, I will also repeat that my little sister went to a majority white high school and over 20 "white" girls were pregnant in they're junior year of school, this stuff isn't just happening in the ghetto anymore. I have more white girlfriends that are "baby momma's" to multiple men then I have black female friends. This stuff is happening everywhere and to all classes of people and when people wake up and seel that then maye a solution can be found.

I agree that these things are happening all across the board, but this topic is about what Bill Cosby said about the BLACK community. You may have more white "babies momma's" than black, but I have just the opposite. In fact, my first boyfrend ( a black man) now has 6 different children with six different women

(thank God not me). Regardless, I think a solid argumant can be made for the influence that black culture has had on the white and to a lesser degree on hispanic kids in America. The white young people that I know who have kids by the dozen usually are white girls with black men and for both races black role models in music and entertainment are the driving force behind their behaviors. The fact is that for whatever reason, black people ( entertainers in particular) have become the standard for dress, behavor, and attitude and they are not good role models. I have nieces and nephews (white kids) who say they are black kids with white skin and my own brother claims that he identifies with the black community more than the white (as a side note, he is 33, living with my folks, has no job, wears his pants down past his Fruit of the Looms, and is desperately trying to become a famous R&B artist). He tells me that I don't understand how he feels because I don't live on the street that way he does. True, I don't buy drugs, I don't get drunk, and I don't carry a gun and hurt people because they "disrespect me"... I live in the real world, where people work for their paycheck, and wear clothes that fit, and bite their tongues when someone is rude, and speak in complete, coherent sentences.

My brother says he is a product of the "projects" where he went to live when he turned 18, but I believe he is a product of the media and the entertainment industry that he has embraced which tells him that to be a respected black man he has to be "thug" and "hype". He truly believes that he belongs to the balck community and he isn't the only one.

Yeah white kids have their issues and hispanics have theirs, but the black community is more influential than you give it credit for and if they got it together, a huge portion of white kids and to a lesser degree the hispanic kids would follow in their footsteps

this thread is about the black youth though. in particular cosby's comments on them.

for some reason you seem to be taking offense.

:huh: For some reason huh?? :rolleyes:

I'm a black woman so of course I would take offense to (mostly)middle aged, (probrably) middle class, White people coming on this thread and acting like they have first hand knowledge about whats wrong in the black community because they watched and episode of the wire, or drove to the ghetto in the 70's to score some grass ;) (I'm being a bit sarcastic here, but these are my true viewpoints ;) )

Even my Canadian friend ST jumped in to comment on the goings on of the "hood" before admiting that he doesn't even really know many black people in Canada and has no first hand knowledge of American black communities!! :P

:huh: For some reason huh?? :rolleyes:

I'm a black woman so of course I would take offense to (mostly)middle aged, (probrably) middle class, White people coming on this thread and acting like they have first hand knowledge about whats wrong in the black community because they watched and episode of the wire, or drove to the ghetto in the 70's to score some grass ;) (I'm being a bit sarcastic here, but these are my true viewpoints ;) )

Even my Canadian friend ST jumped in to comment on the goings on of the "hood" before admiting that he doesn't even really know many black people in Canada and has no first hand knowledge of American black communities!! :P

so you're saying that cosby is wrong then? everything he said is false? that the statistics i posted don't matter? that the problem with the black youth isn't in any way worse or more widespread than the other races out there?

is that honestly what you're saying?

and like i and many along with me have said kim, these problems don't only exist within the black community. but this particular speech that cosby gave, was about the black community.

here we are getting bent .... but fact is every generation has said the same or similar about the next. Cosby isn't unique. I do think this boarders however on racism if this was posted by someone white ...

Cosby says it, but the person who posted it (if they're white) is a boarderline racist!!!! Presumably this is in line with the warped self loathing liberal doctrine that only whites are racist.

What a weird world you inhabit.

Edited by itsnotoutthere

I agree that these things are happening all across the board, but this topic is about what Bill Cosby said about the BLACK community. You may have more white "babies momma's" than black, but I have just the opposite. In fact, my first boyfrend ( a black man) now has 6 different children with six different women

(thank God not me). Regardless, I think a solid argumant can be made for the influence that black culture has had on the white and to a lesser degree on hispanic kids in America. The white young people that I know who have kids by the dozen usually are white girls with black men and for both races black role models in music and entertainment are the driving force behind their behaviors. The fact is that for whatever reason, black people ( entertainers in particular) have become the standard for dress, behavor, and attitude and they are not good role models. I have nieces and nephews (white kids) who say they are black kids with white skin and my own brother claims that he identifies with the black community more than the white (as a side note, he is 33, living with my folks, has no job, wears his pants down past his Fruit of the Looms, and is desperately trying to become a famous R&B artist). He tells me that I don't understand how he feels because I don't live on the street that way he does. True, I don't buy drugs, I don't get drunk, and I don't carry a gun and hurt people because they "disrespect me"... I live in the real world, where people work for their paycheck, and wear clothes that fit, and bite their tongues when someone is rude, and speak in complete, coherent sentences.

My brother says he is a product of the "projects" where he went to live when he turned 18, but I believe he is a product of the media and the entertainment industry that he has embraced which tells him that to be a respected black man he has to be "thug" and "hype". He truly believes that he belongs to the balck community and he isn't the only one.

Yeah white kids have their issues and hispanics have theirs, but the black community is more influential than you give it credit for and if they got it together, a huge portion of white kids and to a lesser degree the hispanic kids would follow in their footsteps

Yes black culture does influence the rest of the Country, but good parenting prevents most of these things from taking place. I spent a large part of my child hood growing up in Detroit and I came out of that enviorment, and today I'm a black woman with no kids making a great deal of money and supporting myself. No matter what is going on around you if you have a strong foundation at home you will not be influenced by what is going on around you. You can say what you want but my white friends that are baby mommas have kids with white men. Black's are not the only race having kids out of wedlock. You can sit there and say that the majority of things that are wrong with today's youth are based on the black communities negative influences, but you have to look deeper. I hate to say it but you're brother is a victim of poor parenting, or at the very least complacent parents who still allow him to live at home in his 30's and mooch off of them, don't blame the black community for that ;) I won't sit here and act like everything is peaches and cream in my community because it's not, but we are products of our enviorments and people of every race need to pay more attention to what's going on in their own homes first and foremost. An assembly was held when all those teenaged girls got pregnant at my sisters school and they're parents were there, shocked, they had no idea that they're little suburban princesses were about to be teenaged "baby mommas", (and no they're kids fathers were not black guy's ;) ). They were shocked because they don't think those things happen to good girls in good neighborhoods, they expected for this to happen in the ghetto or to a girl that looked more like my sister then their blond haired, blue eyed girls but that's not reality anymore. It all begins at home first and foremost.

Yes black culture does influence the rest of the Country, but good parenting prevents most of these things from taking place.

Don't you mean, good single-parenting? LOL, sorry, I had to. :lol:

Edited by SpIdErCyDe

so a white person can't comment on black issues without being classed as a racist? or borderline as you put it.

i actually take offense to that ripley. a racist is something i am not.