Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bill Cosby's Highly Controversial Statement

ExpandMyMind

Yes, he was talking about strangers but he didn't say he would be afraid if 3 strangers were walking toward him did he? He said he would be afraid if black youth were walking toward him on a dark street. So that goes to say that he wouldn't be afraid of anyone else, since he chose to specify that it was black youth that would scare him. I'm not suprised to hear this anyway, it's a tale as old as time. My law abiding, Husband who is an Officer in the Army, and does not look the least bit threatining has had plenty of White Women clutch they're purses as he walked past, or walk out of an elevator when he walks on to one. Those are just the realities of being black in America, especially if you are a black male :rolleyes:

I do know that being black here or any minority here probably have it better than in the U.S. as far as racisim goes. I wonder why that is. Do you have more insight as to why America is more racist than other western nations or is that just an appearance with no real truth.. Not saying there is no racisim here just that it's less of an issue.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kimi81

• conspiracybeliever

• ExpandMyMind

• The Silver Thong

Please explain how we are small minded ? I'm not seeing that Kim and now your insulting us. Why so up tight over this, Bill said it, and some here are agreeing with what Bill said nothing more. I think your seeing racisim here because you want to. I don't know, just seems out of charachter for you Kimmy.

I didn't say it.....my coworker did and she's White :innocent:

This is all a joke to me now if you haven't noticed, I've stopped taking these comments seriously a while ago, now it's just making the workday go by faster ;)

I do know that being black here or any minority here probably have it better than in the U.S. as far as racisim goes. I wonder why that is. Do you have more insight as to why America is more racist than other western nations or is that just an appearance with no real truth.. Not saying there is no racisim here just that it's less of an issue.

I honestly don't think that anyone on this thread is intentionally racist, nor do I think that the White Women who clutch their purses, and the White men that turn the other way when they see black youth walking toward them are racist either. It's ignorance and misinformation, they don't know any better, and they don't relate or understand black culture so they fear them. They rely on things they see on the news or on telivison to shape they're views and perceptions and so they begin to believe sterotypes. It's just reality, as a black woman I have been followed around stores and dealt with my share of crap and it is hurtful and offensive, but I don't take it to heart because I don't group all white's in the same category like some of these people do with blacks. That's why I mad the comment about people that have commented on this thread, instead of generalizing all White people. I have plenty of White friend from the Burbs that are as open minded and cultured as they come.

Edited by Kim81

I honestly don't think that anyone on this thread is intentionally racist, nor do I think that the White Women who clutch their purses, and the White men that turn the other way when they see black youth walking toward them are racist either. It's ignorance and misinformation, they don't know any better, and they don't relate or understand black culture so they fear them. They rely on things they see on the news or on telivison to shape they're views and perceptions and so they begin to believe sterotypes. It's just reality, as a black woman I have been followed around stores and dealt with my share of crap and it is hurtful and offensive, but I don't take it to heart because I don't group all white's in the same category like some of these people do with blacks. That's why I mad the comment about people that have commented on this thread, instead of generalizing all White people. I have plenty of White friend from the Burbs that are as open minded and cultured as they come.

And what you refuse to see is white people doing the same thing when approached by other white people that they are unsure of...even when women approach these days because you never know. And white people never get caught for shoplifting or are followed around stores. I was followed for years just because I was young. :rolleyes:

I like the classic line that you have white 'friends' and know how they feel, which is what you lambasted Dr. D for.

Edited by Michelle

Barrack Obama gave a speach on Fathers Day to a crowd of African-Americans about the lack of Black Fathers in the home and how it was hurting our Culture. The things he said were truthful and thoughtful without being insulting or making blacks feel talked down upon and it had a huge impact on Black Men. If I had the time I would find the text of that speach and put it side by side with the comments Cosby made, and then maybe some of you will understand why the Black community is resentful of the way Cosby talks down to us. Sometimes is not what you say but how you say it

Barrack Obama gave a speach on Fathers Day to a crowd of African-Americans about the lack of Black Fathers in the home and how it was hurting our Culture. The things he said were truthful and thoughtful without being insulting or making blacks feel talked down upon and it had a huge impact on Black Men. If I had the time I would find the text of that speach and put it side by side with the comments Cosby made, and then maybe some of you will understand why the Black community is resentful of the way Cosby talks down to us. Sometimes is not what you say but how you say it

That's true, but Cosby has been trying to do something about this for so many years he may simply be getting frustrated. If things don't change or get worse in 30 more years Obama might not be as tactful either.

You know you are right. Bill should have just stayed quiet and allowed things to continue, to allow education to decline and violence to continue. God forbid he try to encourage people to better themselves. :rolleyes: Would it be better if the rich just completely ignored the poor?

The only people he's 'attacking' are those people to have no respect for themselves, who take pride in having no education, and those who would rather spend money on themselves than helping to better the lives of their children. However you and Kim seemed to have decided that he's attacking all poor people and all black people. This isn't the case at all and anyone should be able to see that. Instead you seem to take his words as a personal attack and dismiss his very valid points. The only ones who should be offended by Cosby's words are the gang bangers he's targeting. Unless you speak poor english, live off welfare with no interest in getting a job, ignore your kids, and throw money away how can you possibily be offended?

And Kim I'm just pointing out how you seem to believe that anyone who disagrees with your views must be middle class whites who live in the burbs. Pot met kettle. And I'm glad your co-workers are having fun, though I'm sure several are just being polite. Going by personal experience soldiers hate want to be gangsters and would have no problem agreeing with Cosby's words.

And how do you know this? Did you speak to Bill and ask him what he meant because there seems to be a discrepency. And yes if the rich are going to talk and treat the poor like this I think they should just ignore them.

Yes, didn't you know?.....ah well, it's not your community so you can't have an opinion right.

Of course you can have an opinion. Don't shout out your opinion about something you don't really know anything about like you know it to be true.

He's right.

But, he's an old racist.

With that kinda stigma, to which he carries in his thought processes - that white people were and are to blame for a persons actions - he should put away in a home, way over in a desert somewhere. So we can forget they ever existed, and actually progress in our society.

Anyone idiotic enough, to carry a past, that does not even BELONG to them, should all be but forgotten. Carrying the past, is not the same as learning and progressing from the past, it's being stagnant.

It's like the English or Scots blaming the Dutch for everything. Because they enslaved our countrymen for over 500 years, it's stupid.

It's not even only some young Black people who behave like the OT. It's vitually all imbeciles from a majority of races, who think they're 'gangsta'.

Sorry for the rant. It just annoys me when people go for a cop out and blame an ENTIRE race for any difficulty a man may have. He's right, but if he's blind enough to only see that some young Black people have a gangsta culture, then he's surely never going to see that that gangsta culture (to which he described) is visible in much of the civilised world. Apart from the religious oppressive countries... But that's obvious why. (Imagine the Pope with heavy gold chains and gold rings... Oh wait. Nevermind.)

Edit: Typo heaven.

I think what he meant was that blacks in the recent past here have blamed whites for their situation and that they need to look right in the mirror at themselves. They are the only ones holding themselves back.Not,whites,native americans, asians,hispanics or any other group, just blacks themselves period and that they need to wake up to that fact and face reality. There were successful blacks in the past,like Geroge Washington Carver,Booker T.Washington, Madame Walker, Sojurner Truth, Bishop James Healey, first black Catholic Bishop in the US in the 1800s, even some black orders of nuns like the Sisters of the Holy Family of New Orleans, and the Oblate Sisters of Providence of Baltimore, both founded in the 19th century in the 1800s.

These men and women didn't sit on their butts and moan and groan cause "The Man" was keeping them down and whatever excuses are used now adays.

It isn't just a black problem but a problem in other groups in America too. That we all need to take action with our kids if you have any which I don't.

Of course you can have an opinion. Don't shout out your opinion about something you don't really know anything about like you know it to be true.

I guess Obama shouldn't have said anything then either. At least Cosby grew up in it...Obama didn't.

Because we committed a crime against them. Look at the way we look at Jewish people. Like they were victims. The criminals were German. In the case of blacks we were the criminals. God knows the US does not like to be thought of as criminals but those black faces keep reminding us. And they should because we never paid for our crime.

Edited by conspiracybeliever

I guess Obama shouldn't have said anything then either. At least Cosby grew up in it...Obama didn't.

I've never heard Obama speak about blacks like Bill Cosby did. Can you tell me when he did that?

And how do you know this? Did you speak to Bill and ask him what he meant because there seems to be a discrepency. And yes if the rich are going to talk and treat the poor like this I think they should just ignore them.

What discrepency? In the OP Cosby clearly states that there are problems in the community and efforts need to be made to fix those problems. That people need to have more respect for themselves. That if people don't start taking better care of their children then they'll have no future. He's not polite about it but he's been going on about these problems for years with no effect. Maybe giving it to them dirty will make them take notice and actually do something.

I just don't understand what income has on the ability to comment on current events. How much do you have to make before you no longer get a say? Now a lot of rich people like to spout off about random things (Bono) but Cosby had been going on about this for years now, and every time people act like he personally called them scum and ignore him.

Because we committed a crime against them. Look at the way we look at Jewish people. Like they were victims. The criminals were German. In the case of blacks we were the criminals. God knows the US does not like to be thought of as criminals but those black faces keep reminding us. And they should because we never paid for our crime.

http://americancivilwar.com/authors/black_slaveowners.htm

WE did not commit crimes against them. 1.4% of the population owned slaves and that includes black slave owners.

That's one of the biggest problems...people on both sides trying to lay a guilt trip on people that weren't there and didn't have anything to do with it.

Oh so now you are an expert on Soilders and ghetto life :rolleyes: I work with two Black male Soldiers, both from black neighborhoods just like me, and they also find Cosby's comments offensive and irrelivant. Oh and since we are on the subject my "white" coworker said she is shocked that such small minded people are members of a forum on the Paranormal, I thought that was a remarkable observation ;)

I think Dr.D knew what he was saying when he said "black youths walking toward you." I think he was right. With our black population between 12 and 13%, our prison population is more than 40% black. That alone should make you think twice about BLACK YOUTHS walking toward you. And those statistics don't include blacks in jails waiting to go to prison.

Instead of being in this constant state of denial, face up to the facts. I don't care if you're from the ghetto or Mars, the black community in America has become dangerous. And if Dr. D states that he has known many good blacks, who are you to question that statement unless you don't believe it is possible that there can be that many good blacks.

Your objections are ridiculous. Dr. D said that instead of resolving the problem, the black community perpetuates it by making excuses. You've proven his point.

I've never heard Obama speak about blacks like Bill Cosby did. Can you tell me when he did that?

I was going from what Kim said...ask her.

I didn't mean they should use their ancestors as an excuse. I don't even know that they are. I don't hear what they're saying. I do hear Bill Cosby talking about them like he knows them. And why are you asking if Bill Cosby is being judged for his financial state? Of course I was judging him for his financial state. Isn't that what he was doing? And I still don't see how any of you think he is helping anyone when they are so angry they aren't listening. People like Bill Cosby should shut up and retire to their mansions because he is now clueless about the people he is criticizing. Judge and thow shalt be judged.

Seems to me this is more about a rich guy stating his beliefs about a particular part of society and somehow his words have no validity because of his bank account?

So instead of getting to the root of what his words meant , it seems this has become a racial issue on this thread? (not to you conspiracy, just a general observation)

What discrepency? In the OP Cosby clearly states that there are problems in the community and efforts need to be made to fix those problems. That people need to have more respect for themselves. That if people don't start taking better care of their children then they'll have no future. He's not polite about it but he's been going on about these problems for years with no effect. Maybe giving it to them dirty will make them take notice and actually do something.

I just don't understand what income has on the ability to comment on current events. How much do you have to make before you no longer get a say? Now a lot of rich people like to spout off about random things (Bono) but Cosby had been going on about this for years now, and every time people act like he personally called them scum and ignore him.

There is a discrepency if people are reading different things which they are or this thread wouldn't still be going on. And I don't know why the OP asked if he went too far this time. I thought he went too far a long time ago. And you said yourself "everytime people act like he personally called them scum and ignore him". HELLO!! If it happens everytime maybe Bill should get a clue.

http://americancivilwar.com/authors/black_slaveowners.htm

WE did not commit crimes against them. 1.4% of the population owned slaves and that includes black slave owners.

That's one of the biggest problems...people on both sides trying to lay a guilt trip on people that weren't there and didn't have anything to do with it.

I meant "we" as a people. Yes we did. As a country we committed a crime. And I think this country still is. I think it never stopped. We just went from one group of people to another and now it's mixed. Now it's just the poor as a whole. I think that's what our prison system is all about and social services. And I think it's disgusting. It seems that we always have to have a ******. But then it's free labor, it's easy numbers, easy money. THAT'S the problem with this country. People are always looking to get things for nothing. Without working or paying for it. They want everything free. I think there is just as much a problem with the rich as with the poor in this country. More actually.

I was going from what Kim said...ask her.

Well if this is what your talking about you're wrong. Obama obviously didn't say the same as Bill Cosby because the people she is talking about didn't react in the same way. Maybe Obama should have a talk with Bill. Give him some advice on delivery of messages.

There is a discrepency if people are reading different things which they are or this thread wouldn't still be going on. And I don't know why the OP asked if he went too far this time. I thought he went too far a long time ago. And you said yourself "everytime people act like he personally called them scum and ignore him". HELLO!! If it happens everytime maybe Bill should get a clue.

It isn't a discrepancy, people hear what they want and elliminate what they don't want all of the time. It happens here every day with people reading something into someone else's posts that isn't there. It's the same way in real life...by the time a story gets through 20 people the original is hardly recognizable.

Bill gets the 'clue' and parts of society continues going down the tubes. Would think we would encourage others to take an interest in others' well being instead of saying 'try once and if they don't listen then let them rot'.

And my point was that people get offended for no reason. For words that aren't directed at them at all. It's like me getting enraged if someone comments that many Canadians are bad drivers.

Seems to me this is more about a rich guy stating his beliefs about a particular part of society and somehow his words have no validity because of his bank account?

So instead of getting to the root of what his words meant , it seems this has become a racial issue on this thread? (not to you conspiracy, just a general observation)

I think Bill Cosbys message if he had one got lost in his delivery of it. If he's actually trying to help people he needs to get help with the way his delivering his inspirationsl message. Because it's obvious to me it isn't working.

I meant "we" as a people. Yes we did. As a country we committed a crime. And I think this country still is. I think it never stopped. We just went from one group of people to another and now it's mixed. Now it's just the poor as a whole. I think that's what our prison system is all about and social services. And I think it's disgusting. It seems that we always have to have a ******. But then it's free labor, it's easy numbers, easy money. THAT'S the problem with this country. People are always looking to get things for nothing. Without working or paying for it. They want everything free. I think there is just as much a problem with the rich as with the poor in this country. More actually.

What prison system do you have? Because in the one up here prisoners just kind of sit around. No massive labour pool at all.

And your point about getting something for nothing, wanting everything given to them instead of working hard for it...those are points that Bill Cosby brings up. ;)

Before I make an assumption, who are you speaking for this time?

It's been made clear that unless we agree with the plight of blacks that we, as caucasions, shouldn't have an opinion even though they effect our every day lives.