Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Poltergeist or a Mind Trick?

saucy

This debate is set up by Saucy: Do poltergeist truly exist as powerful ghosts that throw objects around, causing destruction or are all the distractions centered around one person with a supernatural brain that causes the disturbances? Naveed will argue that indeed poltergeists are destructive ghosts while Lottie has the ball rolling with evidence supporting it's only a mind trick. You have to get through one introduction, followed by four body posts and wrapped up with the rebuttal to sum up all your evidence. Good luck and have fun!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naveed

• saucy

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Opening statement:

Poltergeists are more then just mindtricks, because the mind tricks are supposed to only occur in homes with pubescent children ages 10-13 living there. However, from the many stories I have read on poltergeist accounts, many have been in homes that do not house children of that age (typically none at all), and therefore cannot be accounted to that theory. So unless these victims know pyschics (or Jedi) who may or may not be messing with them (which is highly unlikely), then the only explaination is indeed a true poltergeist.

Guest Lottie

It is becoming increasingly apparent within the Parapsychology field and the paranormal circles that the Poltergeist Phenomenon is induced by PsychoKinesis -"The apparent ability to influence the environment seemingly by intention or other mental activity alone."

Studies have shown that Children, Adolescents and even Adults who witness this phenomenon seem to be going through either hormonal changes, a particualrly turbulent and emotional time in their lives and seem to vent unsurpessed anger and emotion unconsiously. Thus producing the effects of poltergeist activity through surpressed emotional energy and PSI.

My understanding of telekinsis is that it is that in only affects the enviroment that the telekinetic person is in. So how is it that when people who experience poltergeist activity leave their house, complety empty of any any human presence, and return home only to find things have moved about, or the house in complete disarray? In one instance I have read of, a couple left their house and returned to find the door blown out as if an explosion had happened within their home.

Also how can a strange smell (commonly associated with poltergeists) be caused from telekinetic activity? Most notably smells such as rotten fish and other nasty substances. Then I also bring up this point; if poltergeists are indeed the result of people having stress or hormonal situations using telekinisis (controlled or not), then why isn't there random poltergeist activities on the streets? It seems to me that there are thousands if not millions (at any given time) of people going through hormonal changes or experiencing stress, but reports of actual poltergeist activity is fairly low. Also with that amount of people having stress or hormonal changes, it seems to me that we should see at least some random activity on the streets, however we do not see it. The only explaination has to be a localized poltergeist or perhaps the more proper term mischievious spirit.