Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Democracy vs. Monarchy

saucy

Which is better: democracy or monarchy  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better: democracy or monarchy

• democracy
    • monarchy

There's a lot of debate on which government is best and I realize a lot of people on this forum is from the U.K., but that doesn't mean they don't like their government. This poll isn't to say whos government is better than whos, but to state which kind is better for the people and the world!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Talon

• joc

• jenk

• Wings of Selkhet

I think it depends on the average voter. If the average voter has a grade 6 education and has an I.Q. lower than the temp out side ( here it is about 8 C ) then I would want a Monarchy. Even today I'm a little scared of Democracy in Canada becuase over two thirds of the people I talk politics with don't know what the diference between the parties sad.gif !

I will wait for the masses of Canada to come forth to my door and offer the land to my rulership as their King for live and all his recarnations! devil.gifdevil.gif

That's pretty funny Jenk laugh.gif

Most American's don't know the difference between the candidates and that's the sad thing about our country. Alot of the time, through, the candidates are for the same thing and only want to run office (and spend millions doing so) just so their party (Republican or Democrat) can have the power. Politics....ooohhh scary!

Well im against the monarchy, arisocracy and everything it stands for.

Im against a class system that allows these stuck up ponces to float around an do nothing all year whilst they live of my taxes.

And for what? Just cause they were born into a particular family. Why the hell should they get such priviledges.

When your talking about IQ's, half the aristocracy in this country are so inbred that they'd have great difficulty in changing a light bulb. Prince Philip is a prime example.

Would you want them running your country? Personally id rather see a dimwitted hard worker in charge than a dimwitted chancer.

Its one thing passing your wealth onto a family memeber if youve worked hard but its another when youve taken from the needy for hundreds of years and done absolutley nothing for the good of the country ever. Chancers , the lot if them.

The royal family are barely even the figureheads they're supposed to be over here...outside of England, they're extremely unpopular (and in some areas of england also), and basically they run around the country, living in incredibly expensive buildings, eating up millions of our tax money on a yearly basis, and doing absolutely nothing to earn it.

I agree with Wun...why on earth should they be given the treatment they are, just because they were born into a particular family? Caste based societies are in the very far distant past, and I struggle to imagine why the royal family is allowed to be the exception? If they actually made any of the money they had, then by all means, live in as much luxury as they want...but they're instead being given my taxes, for sitting in a carraige (also paid for by my taxes) and waving huh.gif

However, my feelings for this impotent royal family aside, with regard to a monarchy, I'd much rather see a system in place where the people are able to choose who they wish to see in power, than one where a single person holds absolute sway, simply because of who their family are, and were either born into, or handed the position (such as George Bush wink2.gif).

For those who aren't following, that means I voted "democracy" tongue.gif

Guest Lottie

I agree with Sera 100% adn Wun. So there is no need for me to write further apart from this.

The monarchy means zilch to most of the people in the UK. To me they are just leeches living off our taxes and yet between the Queen and Prince Charles they have a private wealth of something reaching like a Billion?? They own hundreds of acre upon acre of land within this country and do not have to pay tax. How can this be right, the system for all its worth stinks. I would be very happy to live without the monarchy.

In Holland, at least, the queen and the royal family hold no political power. The question what would be best, monarchy or democracy, implies that countries that have some kind of royalty cannot be democracies.

This, ofcourse, is nonsense. The Netherlands, or The Kingdom of The Netherlands, is a parlementary based constitutional monarchy. We have an elected parlement and government.

In short, the poll is a bit biased and not very well thought of, in my opinion.

And I agree with Seraphina on that the royal family does little or nothing to earn their position and wealth tongue.gif

"Democracy is perhaps the worst system in history.......excluding every other system!" Churchill... grin2.gif

disgust.gif I hate all of our political systems...... so very very much! But the only sysem I can stand is Democracy. I have been working on my own political system but it's very long and boaring so I wont discribe it. Sadly the only way I could see my system ruling Canada is if a huge disaster screws our country like hell and we have to start from the ground up sad.gif . I have decided it's not worth the destruction of my home land thus I put away my Dooms day kit for later for when I get board during a rainy day or something salook.gif ......

If and when I do go into politics I will most likly will be assassinated after a month for thinking up way to radical things crying.gif .

Edited by jenk

I`m an aussie and we are a monarchy because we are a member of the commowealth stilllllllll. Why do we stay in it I`m not sure but the queen comes to australia once every decade and then we get other smaller royals coming every few years. Whats the point we dont give a stuff about the royals who probably could care less about us. If labour wins the next election down here the leader is going to let us vote on becoming a democracy. There is a good chance this time that we will become a democracy which I think would be much better than having to put up with a royal family who get everything they want for doing a whole lot of nothing. We are our own country who should have an aussie head of state not just a prime minister.

Democracy all the way!!!!!!!!!!! thumbsup.gif

I think Direct Democracy is a bad thing. It works on a small group of people of equal skills, but on a country.......OMG...... If the average voter knows little about current events in politics such as what impact did the free trade agreement with the U.S. have on Canada, do you trust them with your best intrests? I don't!

There's no example of direct Democracy that ever worked without slaves and Women doing all the Non-Political work. A Direct Democracy just isn't viable in this day and age..

I`m an aussie and we are a monarchy because we are a member of the commowealth stilllllllll.

The existance of a royal family doesn't really make your system of government a monarchy...I certainly wouldn't call the UK or Austrialia one. In a monarchy, control of the country is given to a particular family, and is inherited by blood line, rather than elections or public opinions.

I think the pole should probably be regarded as an estimation on the effectivness of the different systems, rather than the benefits (or lack thereof) of the current royal family in the UK and commonwealth.

Edited by Seraphina

If labour wins the next election down here the leader is going to let us vote on becoming a democracy. There is a good chance this time that we will become a democracy which I think would be much better than having to put up with a royal family who get everything they want for doing a whole lot of nothing. We are our own country who should have an aussie head of state not just a prime minister.

we are a democcracy:)

that said, is a republic even that important? why not fix other stuff first...you know like unemployment

I think Direct Democracy is a bad thing.

It is the nature of humans for the controlling elite to turn their back on the masses and start working for their own interests to the detriment of the masses. This has been observed since the creation of civilization.

So, elites lie and deceive the voters constantly for their own gains and push forth laws that benefit them and not the voters. So, to counter this problem, I would rather have citizens voting directly on every policy, as opposed to allowing the elected elites to do it for us. I will take my chances with the people and not the controlling elites.

Of course, low IQ people don't even bother to vote anyway: only 45% of Americans vote, generally the more intelligent ones. So, they will make a more informed vote than the dumb ones who don't even vote to begin with.

Another problem about true democracy is how long it takes to decide some thing while a monarch can just say what they want and it's done. As I said befor I hate all of our systems and indeed im making my own but the only one I can stand to live with is out current Democracy in Canada. What I can't decide is what I dislike more, Monarchy or Direct Democracy.

• 7 months later...

i think constitual monarchs are important because, look at this (found on some site)

There are those countries that always war denmark norway and sweden, especially denmark that is contrantly attacking its neighbours, while some keep peace like Usa China, north korea and sudan.

what i mean whit this is that the monarch is a figure of peace and something good.

now i will get flamed by all the us user thank you but dont direct your hatred on Me innocent.gif

• 3 weeks later...
The royal family are barely even the figureheads they're supposed to be over here...outside of England, they're extremely unpopular (and in some areas of england also), and basically they run around the country, living in incredibly expensive buildings, eating up millions of our tax money on a yearly basis, and doing absolutely nothing to earn it.

I agree with Wun...why on earth should they be given the treatment they are, just because they were born into a particular family? Caste based societies are in the very far distant past, and I struggle to imagine why the royal family is allowed to be the exception? If they actually made any of the money they had, then by all means, live in as much luxury as they want...but they're instead being given my taxes, for sitting in a carraige (also paid for by my taxes) and waving 

However, my feelings for this impotent royal family aside, with regard to a monarchy, I'd much rather see a system in place where the people are able to choose who they wish to see in power, than one where a single person holds absolute sway, simply because of who their family are, and were either born into, or handed the position (such as George Bush ).

For those who aren't following, that means I voted "democracy" 

I agree

hmmmm, well my views on this swing both ways, i mean, i agree with wun on the monarchy idea, but i also think that monarchy is good in some ways, well look at it this way, if the queen ruled the country we wouldnt have a**holes like Tony Blair in power grin2.gif . so i'm confused as to which way i think, however i see good points and bad about either type of society, so i'm neutral on this

i would like to see a demacry system like the one in "Starship Troopers". You only got political rights after you show you can sacrifice yourself for your race, and that was serving in the army for at least 2 years, be a soldier, a scientis, an administrator, a cook or a technician.

What about an elective monarchy? Without a balance of power, no parliament, etc...everyone just elects a monarch to govern everything for a set period of time? It could go sour quickly...but it's interesting to ponder...the closest example I can think of is Napoleon III. It worked for a while...then he lost popularity...but I suppose that could be to due to factors beyond his control.

Sera, it's not accurate.

Both the UK and Australia are monarchies, because the head of state in both of them is a royal figure tongue.gif.

But, they are constitutional monarchies, in terms that the monarchy is limited by a constitutional body (the elected government), and the country is run by that boday instead of by the monarch.

People here mix between the different terms tongue.gif.

A democracy isn't necessarily a republic (meaning you can and do have democratic monarchies, like the UK and the Netherlands), and a republic most certainly doesn't have to be a democracy (Nazi Germany was a republic, the USSR was a republic, Saddam's Iraq was a republic... a republic is any country that isn't ruled by a monarch or other royal figure).

In this sense, the UK is a full democracy, while not a republic.

The US is both a republic and a democracy (although some would disagree with the later tongue.gif), and China, for example, is a republic but not a democracy.

I vote for Monarchy!

Firstly, you don't have to bother with choosing between equally unintelligible or idiotic party candidates.

Secondly, it's very likely that about the same precentage of people will support the allmighty ruler as would an elected leader (providing he's not a complete idiot)

Thirdly, bureaucracy would be greatly reduced as the allmighty wouldn't be questioned by commitees every step of the way

Fourth - you can always have someone assasinate him/her and start over

Hmm...I think I'm actually an anarchist rofl.gifgrin2.gif

One system of government is not going to please everybody.

The royal family in England is nothing but the world's richest welfare family.

A true democracy would drain the citizen's resources. There are hundreds of bills every year that need to be voted on. Nobody has that much time, so we vote for people to vote for the bills... for us.

Hold on, I think I just confused myself.

Anyway, I believe a Republic, although flawed, is the best choice.