Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gaza graves desecrated with abuse photos

DC09

GAZA CITY (AFP) - Pictures of Iraqi prisoners being abused by US troops and vengeful inscriptions were found on desecrated graves of British soldiers of World War I in Gaza City, the cemetery curator said.

"Eight to ten men smashed 32 tombstones Sunday night," said Issam Jaradah, who is in charge of the northern Gaza City cemetery's maintenance.

Some of the infamous pictures depicting scenes of mistreatment inside the US-run Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq were found stuck on the tombs, some of which also bore the Nazi swastika and the inscription in English "Revenge", Jaradah told AFP.

He said that he and his father prevented the vandals, some of whom were armed, from desecrating more of the tombs in the Gaza War Cemetery.

The Jaradah family, eight members of which receive salaries from the British embassy in Israel, has been in charge of the cemetery for more than 60 years. It has never before been desecrated.

Full Article

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cufflink

• DC09

• wunarmdscissor

• bathory

Top Posters In This Topic

It's saddening, but hardly a surprise. I feel sorry for the family who have the job of looking after the graves. Imagine how embarrassed they must feel, just because a few bigots took out their anger on the first easy target.

It's not just the arab world where stupidity like this is witnessed. British, American and Commonwealth graves from both world wars were desecrated in France, during the invasion of Iraq.

It's not just the arab world where stupidity like this is witnessed. British, American and Commonwealth graves from both world wars were desecrated in France, during the invasion of Iraq.

by whom?

by whom?

The French.

rolleyes.gif

The French.

rolleyes.gif

Exactly.

The local people were horrified, and ashamed, but it was hardly their fault. Again, it was the action of a small group of bigoted ****wits.

Exactly.

The local people were horrified, and ashamed, but it was hardly their fault. Again, it was the action of a small group of bigoted ****wits.

Yeah an i hope everyone reads that as being a very small minority. It only takes a couple of people to create a worldwide scandal.

Kellalor just said "the french".

It wasnt the "french" it was a couple of idiots. Every country in the world has them. I read about all the hatered towards the french in america after that but you have to understand something that didnt get anywhere near the coverage the desecration got was the outrage at what had happened in france.

Guest Lottie

FFS. I read this article and just thought, thats nothing new then. Sad isn't it that we live in a world where nothing is suprising anymore.

Yet another mindless and senseless act by idiots.