Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Delivering a 'vaccine' through bites

UM-Bot

mosquito.jpg
Image credit: CDC
Scientists have carried out an experiment in Europe involving the use of mosquitoes to deliver a malaria vaccine through their bite. The results were very promising with those in the test group who were bitten acquiring immunity to the disease.

"In a daring experiment in Europe, scientists used mosquitoes as flying needles to deliver a "vaccine" of live malaria parasites through their bites."

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: Yahoo! News

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Xammu

• UM-Bot

• ROGER

• :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not one to be paranoid, but imagine the implications this method can create. Using mosquitos as a biological weapon is a frightening thought.

If i read this right the medicine is given regularity for a time, then regular infected mosquitoes are allowed to bite, stopping the third stage of development of the disease. So the mosquitoes don't really do any thing differently. You should get the same results by distributing the medicine for 15 weeks before the infection season, then let nature take it's course.

I think the title is misleading!

I'm not one to be paranoid, but imagine the implications this method can create. Using mosquitos as a biological weapon is a frightening thought.

That pretty much sums it all up, that's why I always use bug spray when going outside. :rolleyes:

Very interesting - especially as scientists said years ago that mosquitos couldn't spread AIDS and it has to be said that AIDS is very prevalent in mosquito ridden countries. It has to be one or the other, so which is it ?

Very interesting - especially as scientists said years ago that mosquitoes couldn't spread AIDS and it has to be said that AIDS is very prevalent in mosquito ridden countries. It has to be one or the other, so which is it ?

Mosquitoes can't freaking spread AIDs. HIV is a labile virus, the mosquitoes digest the blood cells and destroy them and once a mosquito has had a blood feed, it does not immediately need another. This is a biological fact.

Correlation without causation. Don't rely on it next time.

Additionally, it should always be a big hint you're wrong if you disagree with the scientific community. Next time, do a little research and you'll quickly learn the truth.

Mosquitoes can't freaking spread AIDs. HIV is a labile virus, the mosquitoes digest the blood cells and destroy them and once a mosquito has had a blood feed, it does not immediately need another. This is a biological fact.

Correlation without causation. Don't rely on it next time.

Additionally, it should always be a big hint you're wrong if you disagree with the scientific community. Next time, do a little research and you'll quickly learn the truth.

I thought mosquitios use the blood for their eggs, the don't digest it?

I came across a mention the other day that scientists and doctors are working on artificial viruses, retro viruses, like squishy "nano bots" that contain a given chemical or cell or isotope or whatever the doctor wants, that can pass the blood-brain barrier and go straight, directly, into the brain, which isn't usually possible - this can be directed specifically at something like a particular part of the brain, even "deep inside" or a tumor, etc.

While I think it's an awesome application of science and medicine in a new, out-of-the-box direction, sci-fi themes keep occurring to me, of things like this that eventually mutate into dangerous threats, but I'm sure that's just make believe...