Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery 'monolith' spotted on Mars

UM-Bot

i would've liked to play the skeptic this time and say its just a ROCK FORMATION....but it IS really defined with its straight edges, a ratio of how big it is would be appreciated, in reality if WE could control where the probes up there go to, we could easily fin out what it exactly is...sigh*

So true. But JPL and NASA don't seem to think it's important. Send the probes to the Cedonia area and the so called "face" mountain and see if there is anything there. What are they afraid of?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dazdillinjah

• Leonardo

• Hugh

• Ashyne

Anyone has the direct link for the original image/site?

Not a direct link, but here is a newspaper article with more pics/info.

The apparent height of the rock may be an illusion due to either it being on a slope, or the sun being low to the horizon when the pics was taken (hence the length of the shadow). It's also possible the upper surface of the rock has been a bit wind/sand polished and looks more flat than it is because it is reflecting a lot of sunlight.

Personally, I think it is a rock.

Edited by Leonardo

The source cites that the solar inclination was about 30* above the horizon. So by doing the calculations it comes out approximately that the ratio between the length of the shadow and the height of the pillar is 3.3.

So I guess the pillar is not that much taller if I am not wrong about the overall scale of the scene.

Arthur C. Clarke would be pleased to see this.

Maybe it was put there by an alien race as like a "Hello" type thing. Maybe they figured by the time we can put a man on Mars to see it that we're ready to see that we really aren't alone.

Wow, if this is real...

We should go down and read what it says on it...

Edited by Hugh

Maybe it was put there by an alien race as like a "Hello" type thing. Maybe they figured by the time we can put a man on Mars to see it that we're ready to see that we really aren't alone.

That would be amazing if it were true.

The apparent height of the rock may be an illusion due to either it being on a slope, or the sun being low to the horizon when the pics was taken (hence the length of the shadow). It's also possible the upper surface of the rock has been a bit wind/sand polished and looks more flat than it is because it is reflecting a lot of sunlight.

Thank you Leonardo. I will check this out when I get home. It won't open here at my work station.

Anyways, I was hopping to see this image direct on Hirise site. If anyone find it there, don't forget to give us the link.

My opinion is that it is only a rock, and it is not a perfect square but a wedge. the problem is the image has a very poor resolution. I stick with just a rock for now anyways.

Regards,

Sure play it safe :P I think it's a special rock :lol:

its pretty neat, but im not sure what is. cant really explain it.

hold on a sec

"this just in, NASA sends probe to Uranus, people around the world giggle"

Sure play it safe :P I think it's a special rock :lol:

:lol:

I was hoping no-one would pick up on that. I wanted to sound dismissive, while leaving all my options open!!! :P

It would make a nice rock for my yard. I agree it is a special rock, they should name it Stan. ^_^

You know whats funny?

If this was a pic from moon saying it was part of a lunar lander the ones skeptic to this pic would go " see, this is without doubt evidence that we have gone to the moon".

The ones beliveing this thing on mars isn't a rock would go "man, this is a rock, can't you see it!"

All in the eye of the beholder lol

I am suprised that no one has commented on the pyramid to the left seen in this image. From the angle this shot is taken you are mostly just seeing two sides of it though. If you look at the shadow the pyramid is casting it forms a perfect triangle coming to a point on top meaning that the capstone is still in place. It is not as high though as the monolith. Both the pyramid and the monolith seem to be perfecty aligned with eachother as well. It may be that the monolith was used as a marker for observations along the horizon viewed from the pyramid.

Edit to add:

Also if you follow along the base of the pyramid (start at the bottom of the shadow) it forms a perfect trangle as well just like a pyramid would when looked at from this angle.

Edited by TRUEYOUTRUEME

This surely seems like interesting, I just hope it isn't just a special rock! lol

Nice observation on the pyramid shape, It's a bit blurry and vague, but the shadow looks like it's being casted from a pyramid. Oh boy...is this it?! :w00t:

Imagine that you have never seen a fictional movie - 2001/2010. Then realize that there are many rock formations with straight lines in nature. Then realize that in Mars past and to some degree it's present, there is active weathering. Then you can realize that this could very well be a lava tube, crystal formation, etc. Interesting certainly. But not evidence of ET.

Imagine that you have never seen a fictional movie - 2001/2010. Then realize that there are many rock formations with straight lines in nature. Then realize that in Mars past and to some degree it's present, there is active weathering. Then you can realize that this could very well be a lava tube, crystal formation, etc. Interesting certainly. But not evidence of ET.

Indeed. I wonder how much attention this rock would be getting if not for the 2001 movie.

Im so excited now..woow..its on the front page of lots of paper right now.And the prediction and talk of buzz aldrin about monolith ...just some time ago is a strange timing with this picture.Open your eyes from now on... :blink: .i think it could be a stargate...or its a shed with a sleepy grey haired alien keeping the guard on mars .Could be a royal alien headstone....before the alien left the collapsing planet. I personaly think it was visited long time ago(1000 or million year ago)..and the visiting (whoever the are) colons left for some reason.I jsut assume it .thats all.

the giant's steps in ireland are very artificial-looking natural formations on Earth. if these were to appear on mars we would think they were made by aliens too.

giantscausewaystepsirel.jpg