Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Whats your ideal belief system?

MysticOnion

As several Christians have pointed out, the Nicene Creed is not God's official check list or anything. I don't see anything wrong with it, mind you, but if someone told me that I had to sign a copy of it, or swear to it in order to be confirmed as a Christian I would immediately renounce the title of Christian and simply keep the personal relationship with God.

Can you expand your question, I'm not really understanding what you're asking.

Thats interesting so really you would have your own religion then? Sounds like the view of most people who aren't religious - you know? An innocuous view of God and their own idea of it.

If you were trying to convert someone to your religion and they decided instead to join a catholic church.. what would you think?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IamsSon

• MARAB0D

• Lt_Ripley

• MissMelsWell

Thats interesting so really you would have your own religion then? Sounds like the view of most people who aren't religious - you know? An innocuous view of God and their own idea of it.

I think in a way I already have my own "religion" since my relationship with God is not dependent on anyone else or the approval of any organization. But I believe my "view" of God is held by many, including several members of UM, and I believe it to be reflected in the Bible.

If you were trying to convert someone to your religion and they decided instead to join a catholic church.. what would you think?

I'm not really interested in convincing someone to go to the same church I go to, if that is what you mean by converting someone. I'm interested in sharing God's love with them, letting them know about God's gift of forgiveness and eternal life through Christ. Where they choose to attend church is, as far as I'm concerned, up to them as the Holy Spirit guides them.

Edited by IamsSon

As several Christians have pointed out, the Nicene Creed is not God's official check list or anything. I don't see anything wrong with it, mind you, but if someone told me that I had to sign a copy of it, or swear to it in order to be confirmed as a Christian I would immediately renounce the title of Christian and simply keep the personal relationship with God.

Who are these "several Christians"? By the definition, if they discard nicene creed they are not Christians then! And who ever said NC is a god's checklist? It is only a Symbol of Christian Faith - it does not say all other religions are wrong somehow, it only defines what sort of religion is Christianity itself. Normally if someone disagrees with the Creed, this person cuts the ties with Christianity by this. And no one of the Christians think this person goes to hell, as the Creed does not say anything about Hell, it says of the Resurrection of the Dead (obviously to oppose this to Reincarnation).

I know you want to call and consider yourself Christian - but this is one part only, the other part is when the OTHER CHRISTIANS would consider you one with them. It is not enough to proclaim oneself Napoleon to be Napoleon!

This is heresy! The lords of Asgard are not pleased as they were found not on this list!

Worshippers of Thor, Son of Odin, god of thunder and lightning ftw. lol

Edited by SpiderCyde

Iamson, I think I can give you one clear point of difference between your teaching and the teaching of Christianity, and this difference would explain why do you tend to preach.

This relates to what the religions actually promise. Your religion promises you Heavens for you following it and threatens with Hell for you not to follow it. You are in a sort of covenant with god throu8gh this religion - you comply, heavens is guaranteed. You are perhaps a good and kind person, so you wish the same for the other people - for them to enter the same Covenant and get to Heavens.

Christianity does not have such Covenant. It does not guarantee its followers to get to Heavens. Christianity believes that the people would be judged after Resurrection, and judged by their DEEDS, not by their beliefs. Traditional Christianity in general actually allows for anyone to get to Heavens - Muslims, Atheists, Pagans and even heretics like yourself, - provided their deeds were rightful. They always remember the Good Samaritan case. no one is judged by the faith, but by the deeds only. When Christians say a non-follower may go to Hell, they only mean that by refusing to use Christian guidelines he/she increases the risk of own wrongdoings, no more - this is not a threat like in your case.

For the followers Christianity offers only the OPPORTUNITY to decrease the numbers of personal sins and wrongdoings by following the teaching of Jesus, but in no way a warranty of salvation. Christianity is about the HOPE to be saved by means of following Christ - your religion talks about the warranty. There is no such Christian which lives being assured that he goes to Heavens after death, this would be seen as self-deceiving.

Edited by marabod

Who are these "several Christians"? By the definition, if they discard nicene creed they are not Christians then!

gActually, more than you know reject/discard the Nicene Creed. Many non-denominationals do, several pentacostals do, Quakers definitely do, many anabaptists do as well (and the list does go on)... they're all considered Christian.

This is my test... it pretty much always comes out as 100% Liberal Quaker, and whatever comes after that is usually mixed around a bit, but generally the same. I know Scientology and Chrisitian Science always rank high, but that's only because of my feelings about western medicine--otherwise, I have NOTHING in common with either. Buddhism and Jainism rank up there because of my non-violence stances and my bent toward simplicity of lifestyle, but other than that, again nothing in common. Normally. Orthodox Quaker ranks higher in my results, but not today. *shrug*

1. Liberal Quakers - Religious Society of Friends (100 %)

2. Unitarian Universalism (91 %)

3. Mahayana Buddhism (81 %)

4. Mainline - Liberal Christian Protestants (79 %)

5. Theravada Buddhism (79 %)

6. New Thought (76 %)

7. Christian Science Church of Christ, Scientist (74 %)

8. Jainism (71 %)

9. Scientology (70 %)

10. Reform Judaism (69 %)

11. Orthodox Quaker - Religious Society of Friends (69 %)

12. New Age (67 %)

13. Taoism (67 %)

14. Neo-Pagan (63 %)

15. Secular Humanism (62 %)

16. Hinduism (61 %)

17. Bahai (53 %)

18. Sikhism (51 %)

19. Orthodox Judaism (45 %)

20. Seventh Day Adventist (43 %)

21. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (41 %)

22. Islam (37 %)

23. Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant (35 %)

24. Jehovahs Witness (33 %)

25. Non-theist (32 %)

26. Eastern Orthodox (28 %)

27. Roman Catholic (28 %)

gActually, more than you know reject/discard the Nicene Creed. Many non-denominationals do, several pentacostals do, Quakers definitely do, many anabaptists do as well (and the list does go on)... they're all considered Christian.

Considered - by whom? By themselves? Christianity is only ONE - this is the church, established by the disciples of Christ. Same as Ford is only ONE - this is the company established by Henry Ford.

Oh, and Marabod. would you care to tell any of the following groups they are not Christian?

1. Liberal Quakers - Religious Society of Friends (100 %)

2. Unitarian Universalism (91 %)

4. Mainline - Liberal Christian Protestants (79 %)

7. Christian Science Church of Christ, Scientist (74 %)

11. Orthodox Quaker - Religious Society of Friends (69 %)

20. Seventh Day Adventist (43 %)

21. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (41 %)

23. Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant (35 %)

24. Jehovahs Witness (33 %)

26. Eastern Orthodox (28 %)

27. Roman Catholic (28 %)

They all are... I happen to be a Quaker... and look where Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, and Mainline Conservative Christian fall in my list... Polar opposite of what I actually believe. So obviously, there are some HUGE ENROMOUS differeneces in what people call "Christian" and how they define and practice it. It's why I despise people deciding they know what is Christian or not... or what I should believe or should not. Obviously the range of beliefs is VAST.

Edited by MissMelsWell

Considered - by whom? By themselves? Christianity is only ONE - this is the church, established by the disciples of Christ. Same as Ford is only ONE - this is the company established by Henry Ford.

Ok. and who do I go to talk to about this ellusive "Christian Church"? The Pope? Or are you talking about the actual denomination the "Disiples of Christ?" Ronald Regan was one ya know. (of course so was Jim Jones, but that's another thread)

Or, are you talking about the belief of Christianity as practiced by Christ's Disciples? Now we might have a conversation...

Iamson, I think I can give you one clear point of difference between your teaching and the teaching of Christianity, and this difference would explain why do you tend to preach.

This relates to what the religions actually promise. Your religion promises you Heavens for you following it and threatens with Hell for you not to follow it. You are in a sort of covenant with god throu8gh this religion - you comply, heavens is guaranteed. You are perhaps a good and kind person, so you wish the same for the other people - for them to enter the same Covenant and get to Heavens.

Actually, I have no idea whose "religion" you are talking about Mara, but you are definitely not talking about me. My salvation is not based on anything I did, are doing, or can do. Ephesians 2:8-10 is the best summary:

8For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast. 10For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
Christianity does not have such Covenant. It does not guarantee its followers to get to Heavens. Christianity believes that the people would be judged after Resurrection, and judged by their DEEDS, not by their beliefs. Traditional Christianity in general actually allows for anyone to get to Heavens - Muslims, Atheists, Pagans and even heretics like yourself, - provided their deeds were rightful. They always remember the Good Samaritan case. no one is judged by the faith, but by the deeds only. When Christians say a non-follower may go to Hell, they only mean that by refusing to use Christian guidelines he/she increases the risk of own wrongdoings, no more - this is not a threat like in your case.

For the followers Christianity offers only the OPPORTUNITY to decrease the numbers of personal sins and wrongdoings by following the teaching of Jesus, but in no way a warranty of salvation. Christianity is about the HOPE to be saved by means of following Christ - your religion talks about the warranty. There is no such Christian which lives being assured that he goes to Heavens after death, this would be seen as self-deceiving.

Actually, Christianity DOES guarantee it's followers eternal life (Heaven). John 3:16-18 (16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. (See, right there, if you believe you have eternal life) 17For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18Whoever believes in him is not condemned (And right here you see, we are NOT condemned), but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.)

Yes, we will all be judged. But the judgment the followers of Christ will stand is a judgment for rewards, not punishment. Link

Edited by IamsSon

hm...

About the same as the last time, though Unitarian came first this time.

1. Unitarian Universalism (100%) Books, etc. Information link

2. Liberal Quakers - Religious Society of Friends (91%) Books, etc. Information link

3. Neo-Pagan (88%) Books, etc. Information link

4. Reform Judaism (78%) Books, etc. Information link

5. Mainline - Liberal Christian Protestants (77%) Books, etc. Information link

6. Secular Humanism (73%) Books, etc. Information link

7. Mahayana Buddhism (73%) Books, etc. Information link

8. New Age (72%) Books, etc. Information link

9. Theravada Buddhism (66%) Books, etc. Information link

10. New Thought (60%) Books, etc. Information link

11. Sikhism (59%) Books, etc. Information link

12. Jainism (59%) Books, etc. Information link

13. Taoism (56%) Books, etc. Information link

14. Hinduism (55%) Books, etc. Information link

15. Bahai (52%) Books, etc. Information link

16. Orthodox Judaism (50%) Books, etc. Information link

17. Orthodox Quaker - Religious Society of Friends (50%) Books, etc. Information link

18. Christian Science Church of Christ, Scientist (47%) Books, etc. Information link

19. Scientology (47%) Books, etc. Information link

20. Non-theist (46%) Books, etc. Information link

21. Islam (42%) Books, etc. Information link

22. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (32%) Books, etc. Information link

23. Seventh Day Adventist (25%) Books, etc. Information link

24. Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant (24%) Books, etc. Information link

25. Jehovahs Witness (22%) Books, etc. Information link

26. Eastern Orthodox (17%) Books, etc. Information link

27. Roman Catholic (17%) Books, etc. Information link

Ok. and who do I go to talk to about this ellusive "Christian Church"? The Pope? Or are you talking about the actual denomination the "Disiples of Christ?" Ronald Regan was one ya know. (of course so was Jim Jones, but that's another thread)

Or, are you talking about the belief of Christianity as practiced by Christ's Disciples? Now we might have a conversation...

All the churches you listed in the other post (I am just saving the time), may have only two possible origins:

1. They are schism of Catholic Apostolic church (in this case they are Christian), example - Anglican Church.

2. They were founded by the individuals (in this case they are not Christian), example - LDS or JW

To find out you need to look at 2 things - how the church was founded, and what is its symbol of Faith. For Christianity symbol of faith is Nicene (or Constantinople) Creed. Christian church is the one, founded by the Apostles in Rome, Greece and Northern Africa - Apostles became the first Bishops of this church, and the modern Bishops are their direct successors. To see exactly who belongs to Catholic Apostolic Church, read Catholic Encyclopaedia at newadvent.com

Actually, I have no idea whose "religion" you are talking about Mara, but you are definitely not talking about me. My salvation is not based on anything I did, are doing, or can do. Ephesians 2:8-10 is the best summary:

Actually, Christianity DOES guarantee it's followers eternal life (Heaven). John 3:16-18 (16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. (See, right there, if you believe you have eternal life) 17For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18Whoever believes in him is not condemned (And right here you see, we are NOT condemned), but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.)

Yes, we will all be judged. But the judgment the followers of Christ will stand is a judgment for rewards, not punishment. Link

Iams, "whoever believes is not condemned" - it is YOUR OWN interpretation! To believe there means not just to proclaim this belief but TO LIVE like Jesus. Those who would be like him (and in those old days possibly the martyrs like he was on his cross), they would sure be not condemned. And about those like you, who think it is enough to "believe" to get to the desired heavens, it says different thing:

Math 19

16And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

17And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

18He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

19Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

20The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

21Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

22But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

Iams, you practically must be a hippie, a beggar, a vagrant to follow Jesus to Heavens! Not according to some lousy Paul but to Jesus himself. People like that are welcome in heavens (according to the gospels) and when you keep your treasures and just preach to the others, yours would be first measured if you fit the eye of a needle. There is no heaven for just believing, Christ never promised any, so this is only your hope, based on delusions.

Edited by marabod

I can really only speak about the origins of my own denomination... which was formed shortly after the Protestant revolution. All protestant faiths were organized by individuals (Luther, Calvin, Fox, Wesley, Smyth etc...) -- Are you saying that you believe that only Catholic and Orthodoxy are the only legitimate Christian faiths? Just trying to get where you're coming from here.

Like I mentioned before, I'm a Quaker, whose first followers were gathered by George Fox... Poor Fox never intended to start a church but was a scholar, a wandering minister, and a social reformer (or dissident at the time) who had some unique interpretations of the Bible which resonated with people who were frankly brave enough to listen to him (Quakers were considered Blasphemers at their origins and were generally imprisoned in England in the 1500s). It's not a faith of rituals, rites, oaths, creeds... and in fact, most Quakers won't take an oath, not even in court, or adhear to any creed or statement of faith. Because there is no mention of the Trinity in the Bible, some Friends are Trinitarians, others are not... but it does not matter because we don't build our faith on scriptures either although much of what we believe is based on a unique interpretation of the Bible in some way. Our faith comes through the Spirit or Inner Light from which we can use tools like scriptures to help interpret that internal revelation if necessary. Do we believe Christ is savior? Yes.

If you're going to base your interpretation of what a Christian is on what you wrote, you've eliminated a HUGE group of christians (not just JW's and LDS... but also Unitarian, nearly all Pentacostals, Quakers, Anabaptists, almost anything Calvinist in origin, etc..) Most Protestants reject the Nicene creed at least partially or they reject the creed outright as my own belief does...

Basically, Anglicans and Episcopals who are a schism of the Catholic church, and Catholics and those who adhear to Orthodoxy are the only Christians? Is that what you're getting at? Good luck in your endevours of trying to convince MILLIONS or possibly even Billions of Christians they aren't Christian... you let me know how that goes m'kay? LOL

Edited by MissMelsWell

I had a go but some questions I wasnt sure but I answered anyway. I usually get Hinduism pretty high from memory in these things so that wasnt a surprise.

1. Mahayana Buddhism (100%)

2. Neo-Pagan (98%)

3. Hinduism (97%)

4. Jainism (89%)

5. Sikhism (87%)

6. New Age (85%)

7. Unitarian Universalism (84%)

8. Liberal Quakers - Religious Society of Friends (78%)

9. Taoism (67%)

10. Theravada Buddhism (62%)

11. New Thought (60%)

12. Reform Judaism (60%)

13. Scientology (53%)

14. Secular Humanism (52%)

15. Mainline - Liberal Christian Protestants (50%)

16. Orthodox Quaker - Religious Society of Friends (46%)

17. Christian Science Church of Christ, Scientist (43%)

18. Bahai (37%)

19. Non-theist (31%)

20. Orthodox Judaism (30%)

21. Seventh Day Adventist (28%)

22. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (26%)

23. Islam (24%)

24. Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant (19%)

25. Eastern Orthodox (15%)

26. Roman Catholic (15%)

27. Jehovahs Witness (11%)

:)

I can really only speak about the origins of my own denomination... which was formed shortly after the Protestant revolution. All protestant faiths were organized by individuals (Luther, Calvin, Fox, Wesley, Smyth etc...) -- Are you saying that you believe that only Catholic and Orthodoxy are the only legitimate Christian faiths? Just trying to get where you're coming from here.

Like I mentioned before, I'm a Quaker, whose first followers were gathered by George Fox... Poor Fox never intended to start a church but was a scholar, a wandering minister, and a social reformer (or dissident at the time) who had some unique interpretations of the Bible which resonated with people who were frankly brave enough to listen to him (Quakers were considered Blasphemers at their origins and were generally imprisoned in England in the 1500s). It's not a faith of rituals, rites, oaths, creeds... and in fact, most Quakers won't take an oath, not even in court, or adhear to any creed or statement of faith. Because there is no mention of the Trinity in the Bible, some Friends are Trinitarians, others are not... but it does not matter because we don't build our faith on scriptures either although much of what we believe is based on a unique interpretation of the Bible in some way. Our faith comes through the Spirit or Inner Light from which we can use tools like scriptures to help interpret that internal revelation if necessary. Do we believe Christ is savior? Yes.

If you're going to base your interpretation of what a Christian is on what you wrote, you've eliminated a HUGE group of christians (not just JW's and LDS... but also Unitarian, nearly all Pentacostals, Quakers, Anabaptists, almost anything Calvinist in origin, etc..) Most Protestants reject the Nicene creed at least partially or they reject the creed outright as my own belief does...

Basically, Anglicans and Episcopals who are a schism of the Catholic church, and Catholics and those who adhear to Orthodoxy are the only Christians? Is that what you're getting at? Good luck in your endevours of trying to convince MILLIONS or possibly even Billions of Christians they aren't Christian... you let me know how that goes m'kay? LOL

I do not care convincing anyone. I just consider Christians only those who are Christians by definition, not by their own claim. The exact list of modern churches which descend directly from the Apostles, is available through the search as this is not a secret data at all. Disagreement on certain points of Nicene Creed by definition constitutes a heresy, but does not deny Christianity of this heresy. I forgot exactly, but this was defined in details by the same Nicene Congress quite awhile ago and never changed. For example Orthodox consider Roman Catholics heretics, but this does not prevent them from close cooperation on other Christian issues and do not stop their political contradictions and disagreements on ecumenism.

The practical mechanism of any schism suggests that some part of the previously united church rebels under the leadership of some Bishop, who by his position is a direct successor of the same 12 Apostles; so when the new church is formed this way, its leadership continues to stem from Catholic Apostolic Church, and it remains a Christian church in full sense. We certainly have more of such schismatic churches than usually listed, as some are really small and hardly noticed. Even within one Russian Orthodox Church there is at least 3 or 4 schisms like that, each with its own leadership, which appeared from mid 17th century (Old Orthodox Church) till our days (Ukrainian Orthodox Church), but they still consider each other Christians of Eastern Orthodox branch. So the figure of a legitimate Bishop is critical for succession from Apostles, and I am positive that when just a pastor or a believer sets up another new church, then this church has no reason to be seen as Catholic Apostolic schism, but just as another religion.

Pentacostal and Baptist congregations have both legitimate schisms and self-proclaimed ones, I am not very much interested with their subdivision as I see them as practically decadent type of religions, mostly related to USA and localised there, they are not very well known to the rest Christian world, despite they have a charming habit to speak on behalf of all Christianity. Christian priests do not normally sing and dance in the ovals, so to the others their pastors look more like some shamans from demonic cults.

It is possible to make a quick test - if a pastor from some such little church would be admitted to Vatican and allowed to serve mess in some cathedral, belonging to RCC or Anglican church, then it would be a part of Catholic Apostolic church. Means those are not scared to have their cathedral desecrated.

Iams, "whoever believes is not condemned" - it is YOUR OWN interpretation! To believe there means not just to proclaim this belief but TO LIVE like Jesus. Those who would be like him (and in those old days possibly the martyrs like he was on his cross), they would sure be not condemned. And about those like you, who think it is enough to "believe" to get to the desired heavens, it says different thing:

Math 19

16And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

17And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

18He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

19Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

20The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

21Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

22But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

Iams, you practically must be a hippie, a beggar, a vagrant to follow Jesus to Heavens! Not according to some lousy Paul but to Jesus himself. People like that are welcome in heavens (according to the gospels) and when you keep your treasures and just preach to the others, yours would be first measured if you fit the eye of a needle. There is no heaven for just believing, Christ never promised any, so this is only your hope, based on delusions.

Yes, if you want to be good enough to earn eternal life by your own actions, THEN you most absolutely positively must live exactly like Jesus. Exactly like Jesus, perfectly through your whole life, never having sinned once at all, which is IMPOSSIBLE. That's what Jesus was pointing out in that conversation with the young man. Even getting martyred will not be good enough. Now, as to just believing not being enough, I have to disagree. All it takes IS believing that Christ's death is proper and complete payment for your sins and you are saved. Christ did it all, all you have to do, all you CAN do is accept His gift.

I already know that I am nowhere near good enough to earn eternal life on my own, and so does God. Salvation is SOLELY by God's grace through faith, and even that He gives us. (See Ephesians 2:8-10)

There is nothing I can do which is good enough to earn Salvation, but the wonderful thing is, besides acknowledging my situation and accepting God's gift, there is nothing I have to do.

If just accepting Christ's sacrifice is not enough to receive eternal life, what CAN you do? What can possibly make you good enough? What can you possibly to do earn it?

1. Reform Judaism (100 %)

2. New Thought (91 %)

3. Unitarian Universalism (88 %)

4. Mainline - Liberal Christian Protestants (86 %)

5. Liberal Quakers - Religious Society of Friends (81 %)

6. Neo-Pagan (81 %)

7. Christian Science Church of Christ, Scientist (78 %)

8. New Age (77 %)

9. Bahai (75 %)

10. Sikhism (72 %)

11. Mahayana Buddhism (71 %)

12. Scientology (70 %)

13. Orthodox Judaism (67 %)

14. Jainism (66 %)

15. Hinduism (58 %)

16. Theravada Buddhism (58 %)

17. Islam (53 %)

18. Taoism (50 %)

19. Secular Humanism (48 %)

20. Orthodox Quaker - Religious Society of Friends (48 %)

21. Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant (38 %)

22. Non-theist (35 %)

23. Seventh Day Adventist (30 %)

24. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (29 %)

25. Eastern Orthodox (27 %)

26. Roman Catholic (27 %)

27. Jehovahs Witness (14 %)

I don't understand. I know nothing of the Jewish faith nor do I consider myself religious at all. Weird! What is Reform Judaism anyway?

1. Orthodox Quaker - Religious Society of Friends (100%) Books, etc. Information link

2. Eastern Orthodox (94%) Books, etc. Information link

3. Roman Catholic (94%) Books, etc. Information link

4. Seventh Day Adventist (90%) Books, etc. Information link

5. Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant (86%) Books, etc. Information link

6. Orthodox Judaism (75%) Books, etc. Information link

7. Mainline - Liberal Christian Protestants (71%) Books, etc. Information link

8. Islam (63%) Books, etc. Information link

9. Hinduism (63%) Books, etc. Information link

10. Jehovahs Witness (61%) Books, etc. Information link

11. Liberal Quakers - Religious Society of Friends (60%) Books, etc. Information link

12. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (58%) Books, etc. Information link

13. Bahai (49%) Books, etc. Information link

14. Reform Judaism (45%) Books, etc. Information link

15. Sikhism (45%) Books, etc. Information link

16. Jainism (36%) Books, etc. Information link

17. Unitarian Universalism (32%) Books, etc. Information link

18. Neo-Pagan (29%) Books, etc. Information link

19. Mahayana Buddhism (24%) Books, etc. Information link

20. New Age (24%) Books, etc. Information link

21. Theravada Buddhism (22%) Books, etc. Information link

22. Christian Science Church of Christ, Scientist (20%) Books, etc. Information link

23. Scientology (19%) Books, etc. Information link

24. Taoism (16%) Books, etc. Information link

25. Secular Humanism (16%) Books, etc. Information link

26. New Thought (15%) Books, etc. Information link

27. Non-theist (10%) Books, etc. Information link

I don't agree with this quiz one bit. :no:

Wow beastie, that's one of the strangest top 10 I've seen on this quiz yet. Really? Quaker. Catholic and Orthodoxy at the top? The three couldn't be more different. Did ya close your eyes and just start randomly picking answers? LOL.

Generally speaking, the top 5 have SOME common thread running through them... yours don't. LOL.

Math 19

There is no heaven for just believing, Christ never promised any, so this is only your hope, based on delusions.

exactly, and there is no anthropomorhized g-d character either just by believing it again its based in the fundamentalist movement not on actual religious academic studies.......

which son is entitled to beleive if it works for him but religion's heaven was an outgrowth of the chinese zhou diety Di....

heaven has taken on many different interpretations but heaven is not some place one goes to in the sky but a lifestyle...meaning when one applys the great creeds one will bring a piece of heaven to their palce on earth (e.g.peace,unconditonal love, non violence, empathy, compassion...etc......)

Yes, if you want to be good enough to earn eternal life by your own actions, THEN you most absolutely positively must live exactly like Jesus. Exactly like Jesus, perfectly through your whole life, never having sinned once at all, which is IMPOSSIBLE. That's what Jesus was pointing out in that conversation with the young man. Even getting martyred will not be good enough. Now, as to just believing not being enough, I have to disagree. All it takes IS believing that Christ's death is proper and complete payment for your sins and you are saved. Christ did it all, all you have to do, all you CAN do is accept His gift.

I already know that I am nowhere near good enough to earn eternal life on my own, and so does God. Salvation is SOLELY by God's grace through faith, and even that He gives us. (See Ephesians 2:8-10)

There is nothing I can do which is good enough to earn Salvation, but the wonderful thing is, besides acknowledging my situation and accepting God's gift, there is nothing I have to do.

If just accepting Christ's sacrifice is not enough to receive eternal life, what CAN you do? What can possibly make you good enough? What can you possibly to do earn it?

* Snip * even relationships with God you express in the terms, used in the market relationships. "Earn eternal life"??? "Proper and complete Payment for the sins"??? Good you did not use "Heavenly dividends" and "revenues" or "bankruptcy in Hell". But God is not a pawnbroker or a bank manager, neither we are his hired employees or tenants.

We do not owe anything to Christ, his Daddy or to whoever else. All we need to learn, according any traditional religions, is to treat the others same way as we want to be treated ourselves. This is THE ONLY thing Jesus was ever teaching people - if you want someone to share with you the last piece of bread - DO THE SAME. Whatever you do - is done to you. What you sow, you reap. All the rest what Christianity says is to hammer this simple rule of ethics into the savages' heads. But the "followers" for some reason split this one simple rule into hundreds of parables and passages, which they quote and receive inner satisfaction from quoting them. But they still do not follow the above simple rule.

You think of the final reward without thinking on what leads to this reward. People do not need to copy Jesus' life or go to the cross, they simply need to learn... how to respect the other people, other Images of God. Respect - not to "love", I do not need slobbery love from everyone I meet in the street. And I do not love anyone, but I respect people - and want respect from them in exchange. Then I can live with such people around me - because I would not be able to live with those like yourself, manzilla, jorel etc around, you do not respect other people, you put yourself above other Images of God.

One cannot "earn" eternal life deliberately trying to do so, such view is a heresy. Our life is full and complete from birth to death, and it is our life in total which counts in Christianity, not our separate sins or noble deeds, as it is our REAL INSIDE which is assessed. When we were born, we became Image of God, and when we are dead we are ready to show what exactly we did with this Image of God and what it looks like. The decision is not of humans but of God. Bible (OT and NT) tell you in chorus that people's opinion is not counted - people were about to pelt Mary for being a whore, but Christ made her a saint, Evil Cain was allowed to populate the earth, while humble Abel was killed, Jesus was loving people, and these people had him executed... etc So, what you may think or afterlife, is SUPPOSED to be wrong, as there is no clear description of what it is, only some blurry hints. So the target reward is not clearly determined - what makes you to fight for it? God? Or some demon of your own make?

Edited by Tiggs
Removed Ad Hominem remark

*Snip* even relationships with God you express in the terms, used in the market relationships. "Earn eternal life"??? "Proper and complete Payment for the sins"??? Good you did not use "Heavenly dividends" and "revenues" or "bankruptcy in Hell". But God is not a pawnbroker or a bank manager, neither we are his hired employees or tenants.

We do not owe anything to Christ, his Daddy or to whoever else. All we need to learn, according any traditional religions, is to treat the others same way as we want to be treated ourselves. This is THE ONLY thing Jesus was ever teaching people - if you want someone to share with you the last piece of bread - DO THE SAME. Whatever you do - is done to you. What you sow, you reap. All the rest what Christianity says is to hammer this simple rule of ethics into the savages' heads. But the "followers" for some reason split this one simple rule into hundreds of parables and passages, which they quote and receive inner satisfaction from quoting them. But they still do not follow the above simple rule.

You think of the final reward without thinking on what leads to this reward. People do not need to copy Jesus' life or go to the cross, they simply need to learn... how to respect the other people, other Images of God. Respect - not to "love", I do not need slobbery love from everyone I meet in the street. And I do not love anyone, but I respect people - and want respect from them in exchange. Then I can live with such people around me - because I would not be able to live with those like yourself, manzilla, jorel etc around, you do not respect other people, you put yourself above other Images of God.

One cannot "earn" eternal life deliberately trying to do so, such view is a heresy. Our life is full and complete from birth to death, and it is our life in total which counts in Christianity, not our separate sins or noble deeds, as it is our REAL INSIDE which is assessed. When we were born, we became Image of God, and when we are dead we are ready to show what exactly we did with this Image of God and what it looks like. The decision is not of humans but of God. Bible (OT and NT) tell you in chorus that people's opinion is not counted - people were about to pelt Mary for being a whore, but Christ made her a saint, Evil Cain was allowed to populate the earth, while humble Abel was killed, Jesus was loving people, and these people had him executed... etc So, what you may think or afterlife, is SUPPOSED to be wrong, as there is no clear description of what it is, only some blurry hints. So the target reward is not clearly determined - what makes you to fight for it? God? Or some demon of your own make?

I said the same thing: You can't earn Salvation. It's a gift, all you have to do is accept it.

Edited by Tiggs
Removed Quoted Ad Hominem remark and flamebait

I said the same thing: You can't earn Salvation. It's a gift, all you have to do is accept it.

the whole idea or concept of salvation is only an opinion. not a fact. they may be nothing to accept. especially when one is threatened into having to take it !

coercion = whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned John 5:24

Edited by Tiggs
Removed quoted Flamebait

the whole idea or concept of salvation is only an opinion. not a fact. they may be nothing to accept. especially when one is threatened into having to take it !

coercion = whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned John 5:24

coercion = Whatever Lt Rip wants it to mean. :P