Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Being Different

Grandpa Greenman

I went to a meeting the other day. At the end of the meeting they wanted to pray. That's ok with me I don't really care, I usually just sit there and ignore it, but, oh joy, they want to get up and hold hands and do it. As I stand there the prayer goes on and on, Jesus this, Jesus that, (there is a limit to how long I can stand up), at last it comes to the amen. I don't know why I did this, I guess I was annoyed by the length of the prayer, but I raised my arms, looked to the sky and said "Blessings of Lugh, lord of the summer harvest, As Above so Below." A lot of jaws dropped, some people moved away and some came up to ask me what in the world I was. The guy that lead the pray came up and gave me a hug, and said Christ will forgive you if you go to him. I told him my Gods will forgive you whether you go to them or not.

The next meeting should be interesting.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grandpa Greenman

• Demonic Influence

• IamsSon

• Lt_Ripley

I went to a meeting the other day. At the end of the meeting they wanted to pray. That's ok with me I don't really care, I usually just sit there and ignore it, but, oh joy, they want to get up and hold hands and do it. As I stand there the prayer goes on and on, Jesus this, Jesus that, (there is a limit to how long I can stand up), at last it comes to the amen. I don't know why I did this, I guess I was annoyed by the length of the prayer, but I raised my arms, looked to the sky and said "Blessings of Lugh, lord of the summer harvest, As Above so Below." A lot of jaws dropped, some people moved away and some came up to ask me what in the world I was. The guy that lead the pray came up and gave me a hug, and said Christ will forgive you if you go to him. I told him my Gods will forgive you whether you go to them or not.

Where were you? What kind of meeting was this? If this was a business meeting you should report this to the human resources office, this is against good business practices.

I told him my Gods will forgive you whether you go to them or not.

Priceless! :)

Tolerance for the beliefs of others is a sign of maturity. I suspect it will become quite evident who are mature adults...and who are not.

Wow, Darkwind, can you explain the situation a bit more please ? Im confused, was this in your work ? I'd have been livid. I'd go mental if someone proposed that in my workplace.

It was a meeting for the local food pantry. It is suppose to be secular, but it is in a church (to which the organization pays rent) and most of the people involved are Christian.

It was a meeting for the local food pantry. It is suppose to be secular, but it is in a church (to which the organization pays rent) and most of the people involved are Christian.

Sounds like these people made a normal assumption, and we all know what that usually leads to. It also seems you really didn't do anything to dissuade them from their assumption, so they proceeded as they would if everyone present was a Christian. I hope you will update us on how the next meeting goes or if you have any additional conversations prior to the next meeting.

And by Christian, did you mean protestants? They didn't sound like Catholics. They'd prolly go Biblish on you, lol. But no matter, it should be interesting what comes up next. Let us know. :)

Edited by Roxanne5150

good for you !! :D it's arrogance to assume everyone is christian. or to assume any thing.

Edited by Lt_Ripley

I can see how you could be annoyed at the length of the prayer (frankly. holding hands to pray is uncomfortable for me as well)... it would probably irk me too to be honest. But they made an incorrect assumption being the meeting is at the church, it sounds like it's staffed by mostly church members. I probably would have handled it a bit differently, but it may have served as a semi-gentle reminder that not all people working with the organization are hip to the churches methods. They may think twice at the next meeting.

We all make assumptions, sometimes wrong ones... I mean, you kind of have to admit that if your group held a food drive that was made up of largely your spiritual associates, you might make the same assumption and have a little offering, or ritual of some kind. We all do this kind of thing accidentally throughout our lives.

When you are an outsider and join a group you sometimes will learn that that group has its own culture. Depending on the region and locality this type of prayer might just very well be the norm. If so it is not up to the group to go around and ask newcomers if it is OK to go ahead and do what they most likely always do. In such cases the group continues with their normal routine and then observes the newcomer to see if they will join in, adapt, or leave eventually. I am just speaking in general and the group's routine does not necessarily have to be religious activity.

It is most likely the in this instance that those who led and followed in prayer were not in error for continuing their routine. It is doubtful anyone was assuming anything but rather going about their normal routine. It definitely sounds like Darkwind took offense, most likely he caused it, not the most mature action to take even if 'you are in the right' due to political correctness. Most normal folk would not have made a scene. It is not just rude but also shows lack of interest in the group culture. I hope they are more welcoming and somehow find a way to be inclusive to Darkwind but I bet you that he has already made himself an outcast among them.

If I was among a group that was from a different religion than me, regardless if it was 'supposed' to be a secular activity, and then interjected my own religiosity in such a manner at the tail end of the group custom...well common sense tells me that I know exactly what I was doing and what the most likely result will be. I also believe that if you do not like the way the group operates to form your own.

Edited by Rosewin

I don't know that I entirely agree with you Rosewin, but understand where you're coming from. I think that it was probably something that needed dealing with... although, I'm not sure I'd have done it in the way Dark did, but I can understand where he's coming from as well.

I think my inclination, if it really irked me (and it probably would have) would be to endure, and go home and call the head office and let them quietly know what was going on. If the head office for the charity was at the meeting, I probably would have quietly pulled them aside and explained to them the issue and let them deal with it... or not. If they chose not to deal with it... then I'd be making up my mind as to whether or not I can accept the way the organization is being run.

I have been to about three meetings and I did tell couple of the other members I am a Druid. I don't think they understand what that is. I help out with the computers and some typing. That was the first time they went that over board with the closing prayer. I think the guy was the minister of the Church. I don't know cause I don't think he goes to the meetings much. I don't think I really did anything wrong, I just gave honor to one of my Gods. He is after all a harvest God and helps with the gathering of food. Which pretty much what we are doing. I think it is a shock to for some people to see Paganism in the raw.

I don't think I am an outsider, I am just the crazy one. ;)

If I was among a group that was from a different religion than me, regardless if it was 'supposed' to be a secular activity, and then interjected my own religiosity in such a manner at the tail end of the group custom...well common sense tells me that I know exactly what I was doing and what the most likely result will be. I also believe that if you do not like the way the group operates to form your own.

Are you suggesting that religions promote intolerance, Rosewin!?!?!

I'm shocked at the thought of it! :o

I have been to about three meetings and I did tell couple of the other members I am a Druid. I don't think they understand what that is. I help out with the computers and some typing. That was the first time they went that over board with the closing prayer. I think the guy was the minister of the Church. I don't know cause I don't think he goes to the meetings much. I don't think I really did anything wrong, I just gave honor to one of my Gods. He is after all a harvest God and helps with the gathering of food. Which pretty much what we are doing. I think it is a shock to for some people to see Paganism in the raw.

Give em hell ,Er, Understanding bro! ;) .

I think its funny.

I bet you get a chance to explain to all that were there, your Pov and Belief.

This could be a chance to reform some fundi dogmatic Views.

Maybe humor is a good opener.

I bet you are the talk of the church.

God's bless you bro.

Love Omnaka

No, you didn't and no, you're not but yes just a li'l crazy. And that's not a bad thing at all. A li'l craziness is never unhealthy. ;)

I have been to about three meetings and I did tell couple of the other members I am a Druid.

There's your problem right there, Dark!

They probably thought you were referring to some role-playing game!

The prayer leader made two assumptions. One, about the religious views of the group, and another, concerning the physical ability of each and every group member to stand comfortably for a long period of time. Both assumptions were unwarranted, and both were wrong.

Darkwind respectfully participated in the group prayer, and then offered one of his own. He had, after all, been invited to pray. Nobody can complain that he accepted the invitation :).

Elegant and witty, unexpected but appropriate, all with a dash of brash. Well played, Darkwind.

The guy that lead the pray came up and gave me a hug, and said Christ will forgive you if you go to him. I told him my Gods will forgive you whether you go to them or not.

:lol: I love that! Way to go.

As many people here have said, I hope you will keep us posted on future meetings.

Hahahaha!!! That made me laugh so hard!!!

You have guts....most people wouldn't do that.

I can already imagine everyone's reaction. :lol:

I wonder if they'll treat you differently now??

I don't think I really did anything wrong

I don't think they really did anything wrong either *shrugs*

'the prayer goes on and on, Jesus this, Jesus that'

Summarizing their sense of spirituality and worship this way definitely sounds like you are an outsider but it is cool if it is all as light hearted as you are now making it seem.

I grew up practicing a form of Christianity that is practically rejected by all other Christians as heretical so wherever I go and there is anything religious I am always an outsider. If you appreciate other people or at least respect the way they worship, even if it is not for you, outsider or not, at least you will not get annoyed at something taking too long and jump up and shout things that might possibly be offensive to others. Is it their fault though because their prayer took too long when you could have just taken your seat anytime you wanted to?

Edited by Rosewin

I had come from an alcoholic household and went to Alanon for a long while. great support. but the religiousness offset it. there isn't supposed to be any one religious view with any support group , but since most were christian that is what was interjected. Like closing with the our father. I wouldn't say it and a few others wouldn't and a few people made snide remarks about it.

it didn't matter that it was held in a church basement.. it is not a religious function ( that was why we paid rent .. to utilize the space ) it shouldn't have mattered that the majority were christian. Just like government one's religious views shouldn't make decisions for the group. Finally when confronted I spoke up .. stating some there were Jewish or non believing or agnostic and closing with the our father was stopped . The compromise was the serenity prayer.

sounds like the same with the group you belong to Darkwind. Offer a Druid prayer and if they get offended then tell them 'walk a mile in my shoes ' .

I grew up practicing a form of Christianity that is practically rejected by all other Christians as heretical so wherever I go and there is anything religious I am always an outsider.

If you don't mind my asking what form of christianity do you take part in? And do you live in the bible belt? Where I grew up, many different forms of Christianity were taught. Not many of them were frowned upon mainly because they had been practiced in the area for so long.

Edited by Zirna

*ehem* Dark...

Did you ever know that you're my hero.. that you're everything I wished I could be..

Did you ever know that you're my hero... That you are the wind benieth my wings..