Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Being Different

Grandpa Greenman

Wow i better not turn up to a meeting like that,not that i would because im satanic.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grandpa Greenman

• Demonic Influence

• Rosewin

• Lt_Ripley

I went to a meeting the other day. At the end of the meeting they wanted to pray. That's ok with me I don't really care, I usually just sit there and ignore it, but, oh joy, they want to get up and hold hands and do it. As I stand there the prayer goes on and on, Jesus this, Jesus that, (there is a limit to how long I can stand up), at last it comes to the amen. I don't know why I did this, I guess I was annoyed by the length of the prayer, but I raised my arms, looked to the sky and said "Blessings of Lugh, lord of the summer harvest, As Above so Below." A lot of jaws dropped, some people moved away and some came up to ask me what in the world I was. The guy that lead the pray came up and gave me a hug, and said Christ will forgive you if you go to him. I told him my Gods will forgive you whether you go to them or not.

The next meeting should be interesting.

I think it is very courageous to do something like when you are the odd man out.....if I had only broke out in Buddhist mantras several times it would have been priceless. Good on you keep us informed on the next one. :D

I don't think there is anything wrong with what you did.

But... if you knew these people were all Christian and they invited you to pray with them, you should've expected a God-n-Jesus prayer. Why would you take part in that if you do not believe in it? I have to admit I think it's a bit odd to join in a prayer if you KNOW they are praying to something you don't believe in.

Nah nothing wrong with what you did its your personal belief and thats that.

I don't think there is anything wrong with what you did.

But... if you knew these people were all Christian and they invited you to pray with them, you should've expected a God-n-Jesus prayer. Why would you take part in that if you do not believe in it? I have to admit I think it's a bit odd to join in a prayer if you KNOW they are praying to something you don't believe in.

I am in an eclectic Pagan Circle and a Native American healing circle, I am used to being prayer circles that are not of my religion. In those I sometimes add a little Druidry in them and it is well recieved. I still say I did nothing wrong. It was at the end and they were done with their prayer I just added my own.

I am in an eclectic Pagan Circle and a Native American healing circle, I am used to being prayer circles that are not of my religion. In those I sometimes add a little Druidry in them and it is well recieved. I still say I did nothing wrong. It was at the end and they were done with their prayer I just added my own.

Did you do it with the intent of getting under their skin? If you had not felt like you were being "forced" to participate in their religious practice would you still have done what you did?

Oh, I don't think you did anything wrong either. In fact, I think it was rather awesome. :)

I just think it odd to participate in something you don't believe in. I would think that some of them may have become offended and thought you were mocking them in some way. I try not to do things that make others uncomfortable. But that's just me. I'm not implying you were wrong. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Did you do it with the intent of getting under their skin? If you had not felt like you were being "forced" to participate in their religious practice would you still have done what you did?

Being my mood that day I probably would have. I am a religious person and a rather pious one. I opened some eyes and and maybe some minds. The ultimate reason we are there is to help those in need. It doesn't matter their religion if they need help you should help them.

Who is for me to decide who deserves to be helped? I have been in situation when I needed help and someone helped me, I am just passing on what was given to me.

Being my mood that day I probably would have. I am a religious person and a rather pious one. I opened some eyes and and maybe some minds. The ultimate reason we are there is to help those in need. It doesn't matter their religion if they need help you should help them.

You cannot really honestly believe your actions might have opened some eyes and maybe some minds?

You also do realize in your opening post you stated that when it comes to their prayers you 'really don't care' and that you 'usually just sit there and ignore it'. I cannot understand how someone with that attitude towards someone else's faith is also interested in opening their eyes and maybe some minds???

You cannot really honestly believe your actions might have opened some eyes and maybe some minds?

You also do realize in your opening post you stated that when it comes to their prayers you 'really don't care' and that you 'usually just sit there and ignore it'. I cannot understand how someone with that attitude towards someone else's faith is also interested in opening their eyes and maybe some minds???

but in fact it did open minds ... to realize not everyone is christian. and not to assume so. I think and understood her to mean usually she just ignores it . otherwise this would have been an issue earlier than then.

sometimes you just gotta say stop ! here I am !

Are you suggesting that religions promote intolerance, Rosewin!?!?!

I'm shocked at the thought of it! :o

A group is inherntly intolerant or it wouldnt be a group. ie a group defines itself by the nature of the people within in as opposed to the nature of people outside it. This group has a number of parameters, including being caring and altruistic. Perhaps it is also a little too insularly christian.

I personally would have done something simlar if i was in a group which offered child sacrifices to ensure the personal wealth of members. ie shown that while i was all for increasing personal wealth, i did not subscribe, totally, to the groups preferred method of praying for this outcome.

You did the right thing, Darkwind, in your own inimitable fashion.

It takes a lot of nerve to stand out in a group situation like you did Darkwind, well done and for that guy to be so condescending as to come up to you at the end and say what he did, just 'takes the biscuit!' How patronising; I think I would have been inclined not to go back to the meetings.