Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Four Months to Save Planet

Caesar

"A replacement for the 1997 Kyoto protocol, which expires in 2012, is supposed to be negotiated at the summit. Mr Ban said the leaders had a "once-in-a-generation opportunity".

"We have a chance to put in place a climate change agreement that all nations can embrace, which will be equitable, balanced, comprehensible," Mr Ban said.

"The world has less than 10 years to halt the global rise in greenhouse gas emissions if we are to avoid catastrophic consequences for people and the planet.""

Source and full aricle

Quick.... LT Riply poke out that cigarette.... Kratos, turn off the tv set the world is gonna end

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mattshark

• Caesar

• stevewinn

• Wickian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It seems like they care more about global warming then anything else. Lets look at the Darfur conflict and the claim by U.N. Secretary General on how global warming is to blame

"U.N. leader: Darfur slaughter triggered by global warming

More violent conflict on horizon due to climate change, he says"

U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon ~ Source

But if you did some research on the history of that lands, it was once much dryier then it is today

" 22,000 to 10,500 years ago: The Sahara was devoid of any human occupation outside the Nile Valley and extended 250 miles further south than it does today.

10,500 to 9,000 years ago: Monsoon rains begin sweeping into the Sahara, transforming the region into a habitable area swiftly settled by Nile Valley dwellers.

9,000 to 7,300 years ago: Continued rains, vegetation growth, and animal migrations lead to well established human settlements, including the introduction of domesticated livestock such as sheep and goats.

7,300 to 5,500 years ago: Retreating monsoonal rains initiate desiccation in the Egyptian Sahara, prompting humans to move to remaining habitable niches in Sudanese Sahara. The end of the rains and return of desert conditions throughout the Sahara after 5,500 coincides with population return to the Nile Valley and the beginning of pharaonic society."

Source and full article

Edited by Caesar

And there were ice ages once, too!

Humans didn't invent climate change. Nor did we invent fauna extinctions. Hell, we didn't even invent forest fires! But it seems that we have the ability to generate all of these, regardless of whether they've happened before. And yes, the present period of climate change promises to exacerbate social tensions and lead to more violence, as in Darfur. Turns out water is an important resource to a lot of people around the world.

" 22,000 to 10,500 years ago: The Sahara was devoid of any human occupation outside the Nile Valley and extended 250 miles further south than it does today.

10,500 to 9,000 years ago: Monsoon rains begin sweeping into the Sahara, transforming the region into a habitable area swiftly settled by Nile Valley dwellers.

9,000 to 7,300 years ago: Continued rains, vegetation growth, and animal migrations lead to well established human settlements, including the introduction of domesticated livestock such as sheep and goats.

7,300 to 5,500 years ago: Retreating monsoonal rains initiate desiccation in the Egyptian Sahara, prompting humans to move to remaining habitable niches in Sudanese Sahara. The end of the rains and return of desert conditions throughout the Sahara after 5,500 coincides with population return to the Nile Valley and the beginning of pharaonic society."

What's your point - that climate change once made North Africa into a significantly worse area than it is today? That doesn't affect the research suggesting what human-induced climate change will do to North Africa in the present.

As for the OP, Ban is right - the generally accepted threshold for avoiding some seriously bad consequences from global temperature rise is keeping the temperature below 2 degrees Celsius higher than normal. The window for that, based on current emissions, is closing rapidly.

"A replacement for the 1997 Kyoto protocol, which expires in 2012, is supposed to be negotiated at the summit. Mr Ban said the leaders had a "once-in-a-generation opportunity".

"We have a chance to put in place a climate change agreement that all nations can embrace, which will be equitable, balanced, comprehensible," Mr Ban said.

"The world has less than 10 years to halt the global rise in greenhouse gas emissions if we are to avoid catastrophic consequences for people and the planet.""

Source and full aricle

Quick.... LT Riply poke out that cigarette.... Kratos, turn off the tv set the world is gonna end

Haha. :P

We're so screwed.

Our only real hope is if a massive virus emerges and kills off a good 90% of humanity because there's just no way in hell we'll get along all together in the next 10 years to the point of doing what they ask. Just one big joke.

Haven't they been telling us, "We have less than 10 years." since the 1980's?

And there were ice ages once, too!

Humans didn't invent climate change. Nor did we invent fauna extinctions. Hell, we didn't even invent forest fires! But it seems that we have the ability to generate all of these, regardless of whether they've happened before. And yes, the present period of climate change promises to exacerbate social tensions and lead to more violence, as in Darfur. Turns out water is an important resource to a lot of people around the world.

and now you understand what the next war shall be fought over? Water and other resources humans need to survive.

What's your point - that climate change once made North Africa into a significantly worse area than it is today? That doesn't affect the research suggesting what human-induced climate change will do to North Africa in the present.

My point is that, that area has a long history of being dry and then the rains making it liveable over and over. why is it that this time its man made global warming?

As for the OP, Ban is right - the generally accepted threshold for avoiding some seriously bad consequences from global temperature rise is keeping the temperature below 2 degrees Celsius higher than normal. The window for that, based on current emissions, is closing rapidly.

This is complete nonsense. I bet Jesus will save us all soon too?

Obama -- the Messiah -- will, with his cap-and-trade. ;)

My point is that, that area has a long history of being dry and then the rains making it liveable over and over. why is it that this time its man made global warming?

Well, there's all that pesky science that you seem determined to ignore. Why don't you read the IPCC Report?

Try again.

Well, there's all that pesky science that you seem determined to ignore. Why don't you read the IPCC Report?

Then theres all these sightings of Jesus.

**NEWS FLASH**

NASA Study Shows Sun Responsible for Planet Warming no kidding? it seems like most of the people who follow this man made global warming religion are making tons of money off it, well the scientists.

Yes, that's when, at age 14, I realized I was actually smarter than a 30-something year old Ted Danson.

Then theres all these sightings of Jesus.

**NEWS FLASH**

NASA Study Shows Sun Responsible for Planet Warming no kidding? it seems like most of the people who follow this man made global warming religion are making tons of money off it, well the scientists.

I love how you cite a right-wing blog, which itself mis-cites a NASA study that simply shows that solar variation can affect climate (no ****, really), without mentioning that the same authors of those studies themselves acknowledge that change in solar radiation isn't enough to explain the warming over the past century. As for sunspots, we're in the downside of the sunspot cycle - yet warming has continued.

The four month countdown is to the formulation of the next global climate change treaty in Copenhagen.

"U.N. leader: Darfur slaughter triggered by global warming

More violent conflict on horizon due to climate change, he says"

U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon ~ Source

Ban Ki-moon

With his head up his bottom,

Is a total Loon.

And seems to have forgotten.

That African Tribes

(with some help from Islam)

Have been killing each other

Since time began.

But now it's the Trend

To tout the "AGW" Line.

Where will it end ?

Who cares... just please pass me my wine.

Meow Purr :)

No difference to any politicians saying if the program is not funded children will die.

i was in primary school back then.. i remember the system back then saying it's all hogwash.. now apparently, it's not?

4 months? I say we can get completely off of fossil fuels in 3.

too right.. :tu:

Well 4 months to the Copenhagen conference but 10 years to change our habits. I don't think he's mentioning anything new. Whether people agree on greenhouse emissions causing global warming or not, it doesn't really matter. Its still important to take all the precautions and if this drives technology to find better solutions than fossil fuel emissions for example, all the better.

What I don't like are countries who are trying to play politics with the rest of the world to support their own selfish agenda. The USA and Australia by not agreeing to the Kyoto Protocol and now its up to China and India, the two most populated, up and coming economies and future industrial powers in the world, who want to dictate terms. We're all in this together, lets stop the political BS!

Meanwhile China and India, both keen to protect their ability to continue mass industrialisation, have refused to offer any specific targets for cuts to their emissions. They are also insisting that both Europe and the US commit to 40 per cent cuts in emissions by 2020 against 1990 levels.