Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

GH and GHI:

ReconMarine

Am I the only one who thinks the "Great piece of evidence" as Jason Hawes from TAPS put it, was a SET of reflections?

I'm in agreement with that. The posture and form were exactly the same, it was too much like a reflection to be dismissed as anything else. Personally I didn't think there was anything at Chernobyl at all. Except maybe a raccoon. But to not say there was something there would have been pretty boring, people would've gotten upset, so for show...

As for Meat Loaf though, I really, really don't think they should have brought him along. Let him do a private residence or something off camera, but I really think that bringing so many celebrities on the GH investigations are one of the largest things that make me lose "faith" in their credibility. That's not to say I believe them outright, but it certainly makes it that much harder to believe when they bring celebrities. However, it also seems to be a habit of TAPS, to bring "celebrity" friends. I was reading in their book earlier today that they had brought Jodi Picoult? on an investigation (long before GH), so celebrity guest appearances aren't anything new to them. I just wish they wouldn't do it for the camera...

Edited by Ebonykrow

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReconMarine

• Wookietim

• sinewave

• Stormcrow

With no offense meant, but I know just as much about you as I do Grant and Jason. In essence, that translates as "nothing". I have never met you, you could say any number of things about your life but seeing as your typed word is all I have to go on, then you understand, of course, if I don't believe you right away. The internet, being srs bsns and all, should always be trusted (just like television and lawyers).

But, seeing as I'm not even 22 years old, I can't say I've done very much at all. But, then again, I certainly don't waste time watching something I don't like, and then further busy myself by coming online to report about it to people I've never met, who would much rather I didn't.

Sweet, I have many a hobby, a job, and am a full time student. It's not much, but it certainly keeps me busy. It so happens I also have free time in which I like to forget about things, and come online to read about the paranormal, and possibly, a good topic about a television show. Seeing as it is a discussion forum, I'm at liberty to respond to something whether I like that particular topic or not. But I don't waste an hour on Wednesday night watching something I know I don't agree with, just so I can hop on U-M and tell people how offended I am about it. That's comparable to me actually picking up Twilight, reading through it, and then posting topics calling SMeyer a dirty... You get the idea. At least I hope. I don't care if you want to watch GH and not like it, but then lecturing us about it's faults, the fakery, etc... It really is a waste.

It's a television show.

We get it.

Additionally, TAPS existed 14 years outside of Ghost Hunters. They are, truly, separate entities. Again I restate, calling them the same thing is exactly like calling the actor by their character. It is real life verses television, real people verses actors. I mean seriously. How many people on this forum--really, raise your hand--believe that GH is an outright portrayal of these people?

So the process and ideal behind the action of critique is foreign to you in every aspect then?

Do you give this same logic to your professors in school?

What you have described with distaste is the world of blogging, debate, opinion and investigation...

By the way, I live in Lexington/Frankfort......

Graduated from UK in 87'

Was in London two days ago

6 degrees of separation.....

Where have I said I do not enjoy the show, or do not like the participants?

Why must I have to take everything in it as fact, just because it is "there"...?

And if you read Twilight and didn't think it was @#*$, then I hope you are not going for a degree in literature..

Semper Fi

Additionally, TAPS existed 14 years outside of Ghost Hunters. They are, truly, separate entities. Again I restate, calling them the same thing is exactly like calling the actor by their character. It is real life verses television, real people verses actors. I mean seriously. How many people on this forum--really, raise your hand--believe that GH is an outright portrayal of these people?

Yes it is.....

Chris Williams operates the office front and researches the cases.

Steve is the tech manager and performs the maintenance on the equipment.

The other "investigators" are in fact just that, part time employees who volunteer their time as paranormal researchers.

Do you honestly believe these people are not daily participants in the operation of TAPS, and that they are only "actors" by trade or something?

Chris Williams does admit to and is listed on the IBDM database as having been a member of the screen actors guild and played in a TV episode of "Haunting" on A&E once before.

What difference does it make how long TAPS was in existence prior to the TV show?

They call Grant Wilson a "Co-Founder" yet it is documented that he did not come into TAPS until 9 years ago. So how can you be a co-founder of something that was already 6 years old?

As I said TAPS was a fledgling entity, prior to the TV program. Grant even built and maintained the original website prior to SyFy money. It is documented through the progression of the show. The SyFy money has allowed TAPS to move TWICE into larger diggs, new vehicles, more equipment,....

Grant and Jason have bought a 250 year old historic "haunted" hotel....with the SyFy money.

How can you not understand the two are one in the same?

I don't understand your disconnection between the two entities.

Semper Fi

So the process and ideal behind the action of critique is foreign to you in every aspect then?

Do you give this same logic to your professors in school?

What you have described with distaste is the world of blogging, debate, opinion and investigation...

Seeing as I take completely online classes and communicate with my teachers in this same process, yes. Not to mention I have had many an experience with unlawful teachers (and I do not kid, incredibly strange things transpired), so please excuse me if I'm not 100% trusting of a professor right off.

Pretty much. I don't like blogging, you got me there. Debate is fine, really, as long as offense isn't meant by one of the parties. That's rare. Good debate occurs when the participants can laugh. Currently, I am having a bit of a giggle. Opinion is great, but it's when you start to insult the second party is when I start to say ummmno. Investigation, go for it, but it better be professional.

By the way, I live in Lexington/Frankfort......

Graduated from UK in 87'

Was in London two days ago

6 degrees of separation.....

Like I said, just words. I could say it is oddly suspicious you also live in KY, but w/e.

Where have I said I do not enjoy the show, or do not like the participants?

Why must I have to take everything in it as fact, just because it is "there"...?

And if you read Twilight and didn't think it was @#*$, then I hope you are not going for a degree in literature..

I got the feeling you were largely displeased with it about a page? back when there seemed to be some sort of internal dispute coming through in your words. Maybe you had a bad day. I wouldn't know. It's tha net.

You don't? I thought I said it was good to question things and to not believe everything right off?

Twilight is probably the absolute worst published work in existence, and will ever be, but my point was that I don't read what I don't enjoy and I don't blatantly offend it, unless the topic comes up, and the participants are leaning in favor of Twilight smack down (like it has--so I'll gladly add my two cents). As for the fans, I don't care, but just as with GH fans, I certainly hope they have the ability to separate fact from fiction.

My "disconnection" is that GH is under contract and that TAPS is not. GH will act in accordance with that contract, under which fraudulent activity may occur. Outside of SyFy production crews, TAPS has marginally different behavior. Have you read their recent book? I actually bought it today, for no real reason, and a lot of the cases they discuss are... very different than what shows up on TV. True, they get the same people, they're a team after all. They record "everyday life". It's a reality show, I imagine they would. But, it being a reality show, is the answer still to believe that these people are not acting in part of a contract or script at all?

And here I was just going to check email and find a book on Amazon. Way to waste an afternoon, Casey.

Edited by Ebonykrow

My "disconnection" is that GH is under contract and that TAPS is not. GH will act in accordance with that contract, under which fraudulent activity may occur. Outside of SyFy production crews, TAPS has marginally different behavior. Have you read their recent book? I actually bought it today, for no real reason, and a lot of the cases they discuss are... very different than what shows up on TV. True, they get the same people, they're a team after all. They record "everyday life". It's a reality show, I imagine they would. But, it being a reality show, is the answer still to believe that these people are not acting in part of a contract or script at all?

And here I was just going to check email and find a book on Amazon. Way to waste an afternoon, Casey.

If you look over there <------- it says Ky, USA

All of the people involved in the TAPS program of GH have been involved in TAPS as members for years. The guy who does the West Coast investigations, and was on the show during the QM trip and several others actually handles the website and the application process for TAPS.

This is not MTV or "The Hills"...... or Survivor, where these people were gathered by a production crew to play a game. These people have been involved with one another for years. Brian and Jason were friends for more than 10 years, which makes the way he treated him at the end even more disturbing to me.

And in no way am I trying to offend you by this comment Casey, but you are not going to college. You are taking classes. Going to college means leaving home, living off of cheese whiz and crackers, living in a crappy apartment, a dorm or a greek house.

If you want to experience college, then go to college....don't take classes. You can not live a "life" on your computer.

Semper Fi

If you look over there <------- it says Ky, USA

You're right! It must be so, for the profile hath spoken.

All of the people involved in the TAPS program of GH have been involved in TAPS as members for years. The guy who does the West Coast investigations, and was on the show during the QM trip and several others actually handles the website and the application process for TAPS.

This is not MTV or "The Hills"...... or Survivor, where these people were gathered by a production crew to play a game. These people have been involved with one another for years. Brian and Jason were friends for more than 10 years, which makes the way he treated him at the end even more disturbing to me.

I know, I know. But it is still a reality television show, it may not be as ridiculous as "The Hills" but should a viewer believe every word discussed on film? I'm not saying you shouldn't, or can't, trust GH, but I am saying that it should be kept in mind this is television, there is a contract and film crew involved, and that in itself does not equate to real life.

Jason actually doesn't "mistreat" Brian, it is in truth one of the many perks of television. (True, he can be harsh, but Brian deserves it sometimes. He loses expensive equipment and forgets to pack things for an investigation, I'd get frustrated and boot him too.) You want drama on a reality series. If you're going to portray real people, there needs to be conflict, emotion. They're still good friends regardless of what transpires on TV. (See the book. It holds the answers to life and everything.)

And in no way am I trying to offend you by this comment Casey, but you are not going to college. You are taking classes. Going to college means leaving home, living off of cheese whiz and crackers, living in a crappy apartment, a dorm or a greek house.

If you want to experience college, then go to college....don't take classes. You can not live a "life" on your computer.

Oh, that's understood. :P And, I've heard it all before. But, silly as it will sound, I have a severe phobia of dormitories and apartments. It's not like... I have no idea what it is, they just terrify me. Even if I'm just visiting, I can't visit dorms (or apartments) or I start to panic. If that sounds absurd, consider that I am also petrified of pictures of space and the deep ocean... Had a panic attack looking at a Popular Science magazine in school one day because I turned to a full-page photo of a nebula. I think if I were stuffed into a dorm I would shrivel up under the bed and go mental. It's difficult to explain, and probably not easy to believe, but I react to dorms--and pictures of cute little fishes--in a worse way than Steve reacts to spiders. It's completely irrational and I have no control over it. But, consider that I have absolutely no fear of leaving home and moving into my own home. So I don't know, I can't get to the bottom of why I don't like dorms/apartments.

To be honest, I rarely access the computer any more at all. Aside from typing papers and checking messages, there isn't a lot I do. Today is a rare day, no work to do and my mom's off on Fridays so it's been pretty lazy. Aside from that though, I feel that this method of teaching is a lot better for me, teaching myself, that is. I'm making much better grades that I could have ever dreamed in high school, and the work load is ten times more and increasingly difficult. If it weren't for online classes, to be honest, there is a very, incredibly slim chance I would have signed up at all.

My meager, normal life has been filled with 22 combat deployments as a United States Marine.

I retired as a Master Gunnery Sergeant, in 23 years of service.

My success in life has been measured in the Marines I brought back home walking upright.

Just wanted to say, Thanks for the life you dedicated to both Country and Corp. I dont know how many on this site have any idea what kind of sacrifice that required, or commitment to duty and honor. but at least one does. God Speed

My meager, normal life has been filled with 22 combat deployments as a United States Marine.

My success in life has been measured in the Marines I brought back home walking upright.

What have you done?

Semper Fi

Well Gunny, you have my respect. 23 years as a recon grunt mean a lot, even to someone who never served.

Well Gunny, you have my respect. 23 years as a recon grunt mean a lot, even to someone who never served.

Thanks to you both for the comments, I am always humbled by the respect.

What have you done?

I don't have to make Grant or TAPS or anyone else look bad. I do not have to manufacture facts to pose an opinion. The facts and their evidence is there for everyone to disseminate.

Why do you have a problem with people debating and questioning something posed to them as "reality", when it is obvious the reality is lacking...

Thank you however for assuming that because people question the motives of others it must be due a deficiency in their own lives.

Semper Fi

I was in the Navy (Tomahawk Tech) and while I have the knee jerk rivalry (I want to post something along the lines of "I see you didn't score high enough in ASVABS to get into the Navy huh?") I do respect that....

I was in the Navy (Tomahawk Tech) and while I have the knee jerk rivalry (I want to post something along the lines of "I see you didn't score high enough in ASVABS to get into the Navy huh?") I do respect that....

LOL!

Not sure if that was a compliment or not....

But I scored a 97 on the ASVAB, you can only score a 98....

I actually had three career paths.

I wanted to be a pilot, and after going to preflight school in Meridian Miss, it was found I could not operate under sustained Gforces, due to swimmers ear.

I then followed in my grandfathers footsteps, he was a Army Medic in WW2, and actually rose to SgtMjr of the Army. So I initially joined the Navy, went to HM school in Great Lakes, then FMF, IDT, and BUDs. I was disillusioned because I was stationed with a SWBT instead of a "team". When my EAOS came I enlisted in the USMC, and went Recon. I spent 20 years in Recon, and my last 3 at NCIS as the Quantico liaison.

Besides who would really want to be a "nuke" in the Navy? One guy opens to machine, one guy fixes the machine, one guy puts the cover back on the machine....., that is why nukes roll in teams of three. One knows the way to the head, one knows how to wipe and flush, the other knows the way back...lol.

Semper Fi

LOL!

Not sure if that was a compliment or not....

But I scored a 97 on the ASVAB, you can only score a 98....

I actually had three career paths.

I wanted to be a pilot, and after going to preflight school in Meridian Miss, it was found I could not operate under sustained Gforces, due to swimmers ear.

I then followed in my grandfathers footsteps, he was a Army Medic in WW2, and actually rose to SgtMjr of the Army. So I initially joined the Navy, went to HM school in Great Lakes, then FMF, IDT, and BUDs. I was disillusioned because I was stationed with a SWBT instead of a "team". When my EAOS came I enlisted in the USMC, and went Recon. I spent 20 years in Recon, and my last 3 at NCIS as the Quantico liaison.

Besides who would really want to be a "nuke" in the Navy? One guy opens to machine, one guy fixes the machine, one guy puts the cover back on the machine....., that is why nukes roll in teams of three. One knows the way to the head, one knows how to wipe and flush, the other knows the way back...lol.

Semper Fi

Nukes? I don't know what. You are talking about. We all know that the surface navy no longer carries nukes...

Nukes? I don't know what. You are talking about. We all know that the surface navy no longer carries nukes...

Nukes = Nuclear engineers USN MOS

Lol.

Semper Fi

Well,

As we all saw last night the continued rehash and systematic embarrassement of Brian was front and center in the repeat issue.....

I just don't understand this, unless it has something to do with ruining his credibility for future projects with another entity....leave the guy alone.

As for the new episode:

I was actually pretty impressed with the Fort Henry program. The review of evidence with all three cameras was a great way to provide some validation.

And I think it is high time that Steve started seeing someone about all of these phobias.....

I don't think you fully understand the situation with Brian. Yes, they say things about him, but it's television for God's sake. It's a reality television show. There has got to be GD drama or no one's going to buy it. The situation with Brian is a lot larger than GH even makes it out to be, he's not just some random kid they brought in, he was one of the first, and remains a very good friend to them all even today. Brian is a good subject to pinpoint for drama, if you want a reality series to look realistic, you want to show people in everyday. You want Jason and Grant to act like they're fixing someone's plumbing, you want everyone to act like they're meeting for the first time. Out of all the acting and staged shots they do, why should Brian's situation not be exaggerated for television? Everything else is.

As I've said repeatedly, Brian has done more than his share of bad things, he's lost and broken expensive equipment, he's lied to the face of almost every member, but he always comes back to TAPS. He even broke up a relationship with his girlfriend to come back to TAPS, it means the world to him, and they know that. They always let him back, regardless of all the trash he's done and all the crap he's given them, he's still their friend and they'd do anything for him--but he has to learn, he has to grow up, he has to take responsibility, and they want viewers to know that, too. They're not just bringing him in from the goodness of their hearts (though that's a large part of it), they want him to succeed and learn how to manage himself; TAPS is a good place to "practice" for the real world.

Edited by Ebonykrow

Nukes = Nuclear engineers USN MOS

Lol.

Semper Fi

Yes, I know what the word "Nuke" means... I am simply playing coy. I was taught to respond to these questions with "I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of nuclear weapons in the US Navy."

I don't think you fully understand the situation with Brian. Yes, they say things about him, but it's television for God's sake. It's a reality television show. There has got to be GD drama or no one's going to buy it. The situation with Brian is a lot larger than GH even makes it out to be, he's not just some random kid they brought in, he was one of the first, and remains a very good friend to them all even today.

Ummmmm he does NOT remain a good friend, he was in fact made into a laughing stock via a cover story in the TAPS magazine where they donated an entire issue to him called "Brian's Paranormal Meltdown"

And I am the one who told YOU about Brian and Jason Hawes 10 year relationship, even before Grant was in the picture.

I have also defeated your ever growing, and continually stupid argument about the "reality television" BS....

As I said before, this isn't "The Hillz" or "Survivor"....as I TOLD YOU (in this very thread) these people have known one another for years... Funny how you parroted that back to me...

And BRIAN has not been on an episode of GH for nearly THREE YEARS, those are REPEATS..... Brian Was let go from GHI in 2008 and has not been part of either show since.

Brian is a good subject to pinpoint for drama, if you want a reality series to look realistic, you want to show people in everyday. You want Jason and Grant to act like they're fixing someone's plumbing, you want everyone to act like they're meeting for the first time. Out of all the acting and staged shots they do, why should Brian's situation not be exaggerated for television? Everything else is.

There is no argument that the "Roto Rooter" moments were staged, which are few and far between anymore, because they admit they took a leave from Roto Rooter in 2008 on the LIVE Halloween episode. However those "shots" where they meet the client ARE shots of where they have met for the first time....

These people are NOT ACTORS, this is NOT A PLAY, this is NOT A SOAP OPERA.....

As I've said repeatedly, Brian has done more than his share of bad things, he's lost and broken expensive equipment, he's lied to the face of almost every member, but he always comes back to TAPS. He even broke up a relationship with his girlfriend to come back to TAPS, it means the world to him, and they know that. They always let him back, regardless of all the trash he's done and all the crap he's given them, he's still their friend and they'd do anything for him--but he has to learn, he has to grow up, he has to take responsibility, and they want viewers to know that, too. They're not just bringing him in from the goodness of their hearts (though that's a large part of it), they want him to succeed and learn how to manage himself;

You really don't have a clue about this do you?......

TAPS is a good place to "practice" for the real world.

LOL!

Well if that is the case, coming from someone who lives in their mothers basement, you really need to apply for a job, and get some practice.....

Edited by ReconMarine

Ummmmm he does NOT remain a good friend, he was in fact made into a laughing stock via a cover story in the TAPS magazine where they donated an entire issue to him called "Brian's Paranormal Meltdown"

And I am the one who told YOU about Brian and Jason Hawes 10 year relationship, even before Grant was in the picture.

I have also defeated your ever growing, and continually stupid argument about the "reality television" BS....

Something I don't get about this whole "Reality TV has to have Drama" stuff... If it's supposed to be reality, then wouldn't it be more "Real"? How many times in your life have you had a story arc that takes almost exactly one season to play itself out that results in a dramatic parting of ways during sweeps week?

If you want "Drama" then watch a scripted show... you know, those things called "Dramatic Series". If you want reality then we shouldn't have "Drama" injected into it.

He's indeed a popular subject when it comes to TAPS. People eat him, and his drama, up. You sell what people will buy.

No... I read their book before I even came to this topic. Loving the ego, though.

As I said before, this isn't "The Hillz" or "Survivor"....as I TOLD YOU (in this very thread) these people have known one another for years... Funny how you parroted that back to me...

Answer me this question honestly. Do you believe everything that happens on GH is real? If that answer is no, then yes, all of that reality television crap comes into play. It's television. There's going to be acting. I don't care if it isn't The Hills, or some shoddy match-made-in-heaven show with Flava Flave. It's still television, and GH sure as hell isn't a documentary of these people's day to day lives.

And BRIAN has not been on an episode of GH for nearly THREE YEARS, those are REPEATS..... Brian Was let go from GHI in 2008 and has not been part of either show since.

I'm not blind, I know that these are reruns. It's only a matter of time before he does come back--again. 2008 was ages ago, really. The odds for him returning to one of the shows within the next season look pretty good to me.

There is no argument that the "Roto Rooter" moments were staged, which are few and far between anymore, because they admit they took a leave from Roto Rooter in 2008 on the LIVE Halloween episode. However those "shots" where they meet the client ARE shots of where they have met for the first time....

Really? I've heard otherwise, from a couple of different sources. But I won't be arsed into finding it, you'll disbelieve it one way or the other and I've wasted enough time on this thread.

These people are NOT ACTORS, this is NOT A PLAY, this is NOT A SOAP OPERA.....

You really don't have a clue about this do you?......

And it's not real life, either. Again, I ask you, do you believe that GH is completely, utterly, and entirely real? That everything that goes down on this show is unscripted, un-staged, and completely from the bottom of their hearts? Of course you don't. Yes, a lot of the show is real, I don't think the whole thing is acted--that would just be ridiculous. But a lot of things ARE scripted, and it's obvious from Jason's lack in good acting skills, when scripted parts come into play.

LOL!

Well if that is the case, coming from someone who lives in their mothers basement, you really need to apply for a job, and get some practice.....

Are we going to result to insults now? Because that's very adult, respectable behavior. :tu: I wouldn't think that someone like you, who apparently knows nothing but respect from others, could stoop to something like personal attacks. I mean, bravo. :)

And thank you, but I have a job, several job offers, and a handful of outstanding job applications. I can't have enough work, but somehow I still wind up with enough free time to badger UM. Thanks for the concern, though. :rolleyes:

Hope you weren't expecting me to cry. :(

I don't think you fully understand the situation with Brian. Yes, they say things about him, but it's television for God's sake. It's a reality television show. There has got to be GD drama or no one's going to buy it. The situation with Brian is a lot larger than GH even makes it out to be, he's not just some random kid they brought in, he was one of the first, and remains a very good friend to them all even today. Brian is a good subject to pinpoint for drama, if you want a reality series to look realistic, you want to show people in everyday. You want Jason and Grant to act like they're fixing someone's plumbing, you want everyone to act like they're meeting for the first time. Out of all the acting and staged shots they do, why should Brian's situation not be exaggerated for television? Everything else is.

As I've said repeatedly, Brian has done more than his share of bad things, he's lost and broken expensive equipment, he's lied to the face of almost every member, but he always comes back to TAPS. He even broke up a relationship with his girlfriend to come back to TAPS, it means the world to him, and they know that. They always let him back, regardless of all the trash he's done and all the crap he's given them, he's still their friend and they'd do anything for him--but he has to learn, he has to grow up, he has to take responsibility, and they want viewers to know that, too. They're not just bringing him in from the goodness of their hearts (though that's a large part of it), they want him to succeed and learn how to manage himself; TAPS is a good place to "practice" for the real world.

As an analysis of "reality TV", very succinctly put. Sometimes they even act as if they found evidence.

I prefer GH to GHI. Does anyone know what happened to Donna? Did she retire from GH? I never saw what happened or why Kris replaced her.

I prefer GH to GHI. Does anyone know what happened to Donna? Did she retire from GH? I never saw what happened or why Kris replaced her.

I think she had family/job issues and couldn't participate with TAPS anymore. I'm not really sure of the reason... maybe it was health? I know it was something serious.

I have to admit that I find the the GH crew to be more likable than the GHI crew. Dustin's upside down and backwards visor is really annoying.

Edited by sinewave