Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

IPB 3 status and support

Saru

default text when typing to be Arial, not Courier

I think Courier is better suited to the standard editor than Arial, however that said the Rich Text Editor uses Arial as its default font and can be selected from the settings page.

Even the letters etc. coming off the typing are lagging; so for example a comma wont appear until after ive completed a word.

That shouldn't be happening, are you using the standard or rich text editor ? Try switching from one to the other by going to "My Settings" and toggling the "Enable visual (RTE) editor?" option.

Im going to assume that my avatar "photo" which has disappeared from my posts but reamins on my profile page just needs redoing/loading.

Yes if you re-add your avatar again that will work fine.

still not been changed back, customers are supposed to be listened to their 100% right but in here it seems: I'm seriously kicking server butt if it doesn't go back back to the old version, And I will tell my mum too

I'll expect a PM from her then. :P

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• Space Commander Travis

• behaviour???

• Michelle

My computer has slowed to about ten minuits between mouse clicks on this new format, any help is apreciated, I have a windows 98, I guess that could be the problem?

It never did this on the old Format.

Love Omnaka

Is it possible to make the little hot topic folder icons red instead of brown or orange? :hmm:

Just wanted to see if you saw my question.

Also, what does the status bar on our profile page mean?

My computer has slowed to about ten minuits between mouse clicks on this new format, any help is apreciated, I have a windows 98, I guess that could be the problem?

It never did this on the old Format.

Love Omnaka

I can't imagine anything taking ten minutes to load the page, sounds like an issue with your PC - even allowing for slowdowns associated with maintenance processes we'd still only be talking about a few seconds lag.

What browser are you using ?

Just wanted to see if you saw my question.

The answer to your question would be yes it is possible if there was a strong enough case or demand for it to be done.

Also, what does the status bar on our profile page mean?

It allows you to set a status to show other people what you are doing, for example if you were away from the forum for a while you could change your status to read "Fell is currently on holiday".

Hi Saruman,

Is it all possible to add a filter that allows us to see just the threads we have participated in, when we click on the "View New Content" link?

The reason being that it would allow us to better control our particiaption on these threads. I'm going by memory at the moment but if I were participating in many threads, I'd get lost.

It was an option in the old format I used all the time so I'm sort of hanging in limbo right now... :lol:

PS - An alternative could be to add this as an individual button next to the "Watch Topic" button. Something along the lines of "Watched Topics list"

Thanks again for any help on this issue.

Try My Profile / Find Posts. It shows you the last posts you made & who the last person to respond was.

The answer to your question would be yes it is possible if there was a strong enough case or demand for it to be done.

It allows you to set a status to show other people what you are doing, for example if you were away from the forum for a while you could change your status to read "Fell is currently on holiday".

Ok, thanks. :)

Nice look Saru :tu: When I signed in and seen the new look, I was like "Wow!" :w00t: As with anything 'new'...it took an hour or two to get use to it and grasp how things work.

Great work Saru & thanks for all your hard work, in making this site/forum fun and entertaining :)

~NC B)

What would be interesting, I think, would be if the status thing came up with each post we make, underneath your name or wherever might be convenient, so then we could see at a glance rather than having to look at someone's profile. Like there are some other forums (there are other forums? Surely not!) that have little things to show what one's current mood is and things like that.

What you need to do is click "update", enter a new status in to the box and then click "save". The status box is to let others know what you are up to, for instance you could write "is testing the status box".

This is down on my list of things to do, the "top" button will be making a re-appearance.

All links to external sites should open in a new window however currently don't always do so, this is a known issue that i'm currently looking in to.

Thank you Saru for the reply. :)

I'll expect a PM from her then.

if i were you get some sun glasses the language is gonna be obscene:unsure2:

:angry2: still not been changed back, customers are supposed to be listened to their 100% right but in here it seems:angry2:

I'm seriously kicking server butt if it doesn't go back back to the old version, And I will tell my mum too:lol:

I think you're just gonna have to suck it up Princess ;)

:P

I'm so slow its killing me trying to find where stuff has been moved too..... But i can see all the hard work that has taken place and it's just a matter of getting use to the new layout......

:angry: don't like it, change it back.

I don't like it either. There's something about the lay out and lack of separation, due

to the background colours that makes it wishy washy.

I think that the list of topics in the separate forums should have more separation

and definition.

The new format makes the individual posts seem very busy. For example the lack of

separation (except for a thin line) between the personal info on the left and the

actual post.

The light blue/green bar that now heads every quote...gives more prominance to the quote

than to the words of the poster. And with the quote bars and the signitures it feels

like...spot the actual post.

It's so slow...but you said it will get faster as things get sorted out.

Sorry...but I don't have anything good to say about it. I liked the clarity

and simplicity of the old format.

Maybe I'll get used to it...don't know.

I've just noticed that quotes within quotes are in a sort of lilac box. This looks pretty.

Is it just me or is everything harder to read now?

For example I almost have to squint to read the secondary Threat Titles.

Is it just me or is everything harder to read now?

For example I almost have to squint to read the secondary Threat Titles.

I'm finding harder to concentrate on the actual words of the poster.

Just putting this in 'bolded' to see the difference a darker shade makes.

I have noticed that when you try to emphasise something with bolded it doesn't

show as much prominance as it used to...in fact I have had to start using the 'underlined'

wraps to create the emphasis...

Just previewed this to see what it looked like...and I'm thinking that the problem with the

print of the actual post is that it is a shade of blue...that merges in with the other pale

shades of blue....and ours eyes are having to work harder to read the posts.

Both the text and background colour of posts are exactly the same as they were before, I will be looking to tweak some of the seperators and make the grey text more readable though.

Unfortunately as with any design change not everyone is going to like what's been done, while I can continue to make changes here and there to make things as clear and readable as possible ultimately there's little I can do to make it appealing to everyone's tastes right off the bat - for some really it will just be a case of getting used to it.

I'm finding harder to concentrate on the actual words of the poster.

Just putting this in 'bolded' to see the difference a darker shade makes.

I have noticed that when you try to emphasise something with bolded it doesn't

show as much prominance as it used to...in fact I have had to start using the 'underlined'

wraps to create the emphasis...

Just previewed this to see what it looked like...and I'm thinking that the problem with the

print of the actual post is that it is a shade of blue...that merges in with the other pale

shades of blue....and ours eyes are having to work harder to read the posts.

I think all the grayish tone is not only making for harder reading but makes everything more boring.

Edited by Cadetak

I like this new layout! It's fresh but familiar.

I like the new look too!

EDIT: and the multiquote! am loving it!

Edited by Legatus Legionis

Both the text and background colour of posts are exactly the same as they were before, I will be looking to tweak some of the seperators and make the grey text more readable though.

Unfortunately as with any design change not everyone is going to like what's been done, while I can continue to make changes here and there to make things as clear and readable as possible ultimately there's little I can do to make it appealing to everyone's tastes right off the bat - for some really it will just be a case of getting used to it.

Really? Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me or I already forgot how the old forum looked like but didn't the forums have a similar layout/color/font setup as the main page? The new forums seem to have a different feel then the main page...although I can't quit place it.

Only my second time here since the update, so maybe I need more time to settle in though.

Really? Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me or I already forgot how the old forum looked like but didn't the forums have a similar layout/color/font setup as the main page? The new forums seem to have a different feel then the main page...although I can't quit place it.

Only my second time here since the update, so maybe I need more time to settle in though.

Yup the black text on the light blue background is identical to that used previously, the colour scheme we're using now (especially in the header) is also a better match to that of the front page than the old forum design. The background colours of the board index are slightly different shades of the single shade used in the old one.

Both the new design and the main site use Arial as their main font (the old board used Verdana).

That would be good. I find that the avatar/info strip is kind-of merging in too

much with the actual post. A darker/thicker line of separation might do the trick?

I understand.

Like Cadetak..I can't put my finger on it without having the old format

to compare it with...but I get a general feeling of blandness...that I

don't remember feeling before. Perhaps the colours are all more muted?

I am a member of a couple of other forums...and I USED to think that the

UM format/layout was the best of the lot.

But I'll shut up now. :) I know you are trying to get it as good as you can.

:tu:

I think what might be messing with the eye is that the top headings on each post is too pale and clashing a little being in pastels.

I've done this to try and show what I mean. The darker blue example may be to dark. They blue that's on the bottom of the page might fit better. But I think if the header of each post was a stronger colour, then it would make the quote boxes less dominating to the eye. The eye needs something strong on top to show vertical depth. Hope you don't mind this example Saru!

layoutcolourfinal1.jpg

I was just thinking that the colour scheme of the reply boxes in the Report Centre is really nice and clean looking.

Edited by Lady_Anvilabeel
forgot to add!

It's probably like those optical illusion things, where you have a row of black dots and you think they're white dots, or vice versa. To do with contrast, sort of thing. Or you have a picture of an elephant and you have to work out how many legs it has.

Kind of thing.

I'm currently working on a slightly revised version of the new skin based on some of the feedback and suggestions here, it won't be majorly different but it will hopefully address some of the concerns raised. A couple of missing features such as the "top" buttons will also be re-added.