Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

IPB 3 status and support

Saru

can you tell me where the view new posts section is and my controls, i cant see them here.

Thanks

louie

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• Space Commander Travis

• behaviour???

• Michelle

can you tell me where the view new posts section is and my controls, i cant see them here.

Thanks

louie

To you top right...click the drop down arrow to your display name and chose My settings :tu:

Thanks

B???

To you top right...click the drop down arrow to your display name and chose My settings :tu:

Thanks

B???

where is the view new posts.

thanks.

Its on the top right of the page labelled View New Content

* snip *

Two actual problems I've encountered that may or may not have something to do with my version of firefox,

1. None of the tool buttons in the reply box are working me. None of them.

2. While attepting to reply to a post containing multiple quotes, the dialog box cut off everything above the bottommost quote so I couldn't see the text portion I wanted to reply too.

In the "bug, not function" category, clicking on reply when I wasn't logged in used to take me straight to the login page with a warning at the top. Now it takes me to a seperate warning page which links through to the login. If there's a lot of new stuff like this scattered around, you're going to be noticing a system lag over time from superfluous extra actions.

Edited by Saru
Constructive feedback only please, i'm not interested in obnoxious remarks

Oniomancer i'm not interested in rude and obnoxious remarks, if you have nothing constructive to add then please refrain from commenting, it is not even remotely helpful to me or anyone else.

In response to the genuine points you've made, what version of Firefox are you using ?

No slight was intended against the UM staff for matters entirely outside their control and completely unrelated to them.

I respectfully stand by my request for an optional alternate scheme if at all feasable under the circumstances.

I'm using FF version 1.0.7. Could stand updating itself but my java seems up to date and I never had trouble before.

Thank you for your attention.

I respectfully stand by my request for an optional alternate scheme if at all feasable under the circumstances.

While we won't be implementing an entirely different skin I will be making a revised version of the current one to address the main colour scheme concerns others have mentioned in this thread, the green quote boxes will be one of the things i'll be changing in this revision.

I'm using FF version 1.0.7. Could stand updating itself but my java seems up to date and I never had trouble before.

Unfortunately its very difficult to support all the old versions of all browsers, the problems you describe with the buttons and suchlike would be resolved by updating to the latest version. Its also a good idea to do so anyway due to the security updates and other improvements included in the modern releases of the browser, I think Firefox 1.07 is almost five years old now.

Is there anyway to have the post tools like image tags, hyperlinks, email, etc be completed with the enter key push instead of having to manually click "insert whatever"?

Not a big deal to have to click another button if it's not possible.

Only thing I noticed that wasn't mentioned.

Unfortunately its very difficult to support all the old versions of all browsers, the problems you describe with the buttons and suchlike would be resolved by updating to the latest version. Its also a good idea to do so anyway due to the security updates and other improvements included in the modern releases of the browser, I think Firefox 1.07 is almost five years old now.

Bad habit on my part. Updates have tended to cause more problems for me than they fix.

On a hunch, I just checked it in the latest version of IE. The button problem disappeared but the cutoff problem is persistant. However, On further examination, it seems to be with just one specific post in one thread, both browsers. I'll consider that one solved then.

Is there anyway to have the post tools like image tags, hyperlinks, email, etc be completed with the enter key push instead of having to manually click "insert whatever"?

Not sure about that one at the moment, i'll look in to it.

On a hunch, I just checked it in the latest version of IE. The button problem disappeared but the cutoff problem is persistant. However, On further examination, it seems to be with just one specific post in one thread, both browsers. I'll consider that one solved then.

Out of interest which post was it that was causing the problem ?

Out of interest which post was it that was causing the problem ?

Post #71 in the "How old is the great pyramid" thread. Everything above "I'd have to ask" was gone.

WaHoooooooooooooooooooooo!!! :D

I came home from North Carolina to a fancy-shmancy new look and I love it!!! Now I just have to figure out some stuff- hehehe. I'm sure I'll be speed posting again in no time. Hahaha.

Thank you very much Saru :yes:

Oh hey... did you know that when you are typing a response, if you click the arrow on the "fonts" drop-down menu the fonts are layered underneath the Unexplained-Mysteries logo and also the "Home, Forum, Members...(and so on)" line? Not sure if you noticed that yet :)

xo, Jody♥

I have to admitt i like the old set up much better, but change can be a good thing from time to time and i'm sure once we all get use to the new look it will work out fine for the mass's.....If i may ask what was the reason behind the new look, Just something different or does it have anything to do with the site running smoothier just wondering..... :unsure2:

:tu:

I really like the new layout,now that I'm back and have had more of a chance to check things out a bit more.

The only problem that I'm having is with the page background. It seems a bit brighter than it should be. Since I'm using my laptop (I need to rebuild my tower),I need to lean the screen back at an angle to cut down on the brightness...even though I've got the brightness turned all the way down on the screen.

I usually use IE8 for the forums,but I'll check and see what it's like with Firefox. Great work though,Saru :tu:

Oh hey... did you know that when you are typing a response, if you click the arrow on the "fonts" drop-down menu the fonts are layered underneath the Unexplained-Mysteries logo and also the "Home, Forum, Members...(and so on)" line? Not sure if you noticed that yet :)

Are you using Internet Explorer 6 ?

I have to admitt i like the old set up much better, but change can be a good thing from time to time and i'm sure once we all get use to the new look it will work out fine for the mass's.....If i may ask what was the reason behind the new look, Just something different or does it have anything to do with the site running smoothier just wondering..... :unsure2:

The new board software is much better coded than the old version - its a lot more advanced, includes a lot of new features i.e. an improved search system, the PM conversation system, sidebar, new profile layout and a lot of other improvements both in its design and under the hood.

Update

The new colour scheme/theme revision is almost ready and should be making an appearance later today.

I think fans of the old UM blue colour scheme from IPB 2 will be pleased. ;)

Wow, that was a surprise! :)

The new layout is pretty neat I think - my background is still white which is a bit harsh on the eyes, but I can live with that.

My main gripe (sorry Saru, great job otherwise!) is that for every new page I go to in a thread, like this one, it brings me to the bottom of the page, and I have to scroll all the way back up to the top of the thread?? If I click on a new thread, its fine, but then when I go to page 2, 3 etc, straight down to the bottom of the page and the post reply box..

Is this a setting I can change that I haven't seen yet, cos it makes me want to bang my head on my table *sob*

it brings me to the bottom of the page, and I have to scroll all the way back up to the top of the thread?? If I click on a new thread, its fine, but then when I go to page 2, 3 etc, straight down to the bottom of the page and the post reply box.. Is this a setting I can change that I haven't seen yet, cos it makes me want to bang my head on my table *sob*

Ah I see what you mean, i'll look in to this and see what I can do.

Thanks.

Update

A new revision of the colour scheme has now been implemented which takes on board a lot of the main complaints about the previous one and incorporates a lot of familiar colours from the old IPB theme.

A lot of the text has been made clearer, table borders are more pronounced, the quote boxes have been returned to the old familiar colours and the 'top' button has been re-added.

Note: This change isn't yet available for IE6 users.

As always if you find any bugs with these changes please let me know. Thanks. :tu:

My main gripe (sorry Saru, great job otherwise!) is that for every new page I go to in a thread, like this one, it brings me to the bottom of the page, and I have to scroll all the way back up to the top of the thread?? If I click on a new thread, its fine, but then when I go to page 2, 3 etc, straight down to the bottom of the page and the post reply box..Is this a setting I can change that I haven't seen yet, cos it makes me want to bang my head on my table *sob*

This has now been fixed, it was an issue with the fast reply box getting focus immediately upon the page loading which was cauing it to jump down to the bottom all the time.

Ten pages, sorry but I can’t read through it all, so excuse me if this was already reported by someone else:

Emoticons don’t load properly in my posts, as you can see: :unsure2: , but if someone quotes my post, they show up normal.

Edit: :lol: it showed up! But they mostly don't... I think they don't show if I'm using multi-quote?

Edited by Helen of Annoy

Yay, it's my turn to have a complaint and/or criticism now. :o

The quote boxes seem to be a bit off-centre, so that the text sort of overlaps the left-hand edge.

I don't know if the question of what browser I'm using will be brought up, and the answer is, I'm not really sure. It's probably Internet Explorer, but as to the technicalities I wouldn't like to say.

Oh yes, I've also noticed that the bit that you click in a quote, (the arrow next to where it says who was quoted), that's supposed to take you to the post quoted, doesn't seem to, or at least it didn't when I tried it just now.

I think that's all for now.

Emoticons don’t load properly in my posts, but if someone quotes my post, they show up normal.

There does seem to be an issue with these but I can't quite pinpoint it, i'll see what I can do.

The quote boxes seem to be a bit off-centre, so that the text sort of overlaps the left-hand edge.

I don't know if the question of what browser I'm using will be brought up, and the answer is, I'm not really sure. It's probably Internet Explorer, but as to the technicalities I wouldn't like to say. Oh yes, I've also noticed that the bit that you click in a quote, (the arrow next to where it says who was quoted), that's supposed to take you to the post quoted, doesn't seem to, or at least it didn't when I tried it just now.

Unfortunately I will have to ask you which browser/version you are using for this one as I can't reproduce these bugs on any of the browsers I have here. If you go to "help" in the menu at the top of your browser and select "About Internet Explorer" a box will pop up with some info in it - I need the number in the 'version' field.

Thanks. :tu:

Maybe it's not actually Internet Explorer, on closer inspection, but I find, after searching around a bit, that it says it's Windows Vista, if that's any help.

Vista is your operating system, that indicates that you'd be using a modern browser so that rules out an IE 6 issue. That said i've tested the board on IE8 and IE7 and the quotes seem to be fine in those, its possible you are using a third party browser like Firefox or Opera, maybe an older version of one of those, not sure.

I'll keep an eye out for the issue anyway. :)