Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

GHOULS

man_in_mudboots

Allah ease thee, O King of the age, even as thou hast eased me of these Ghuls, whose bellies none may fill save Allah! ~ from the Quran

From gholies and ghosties,

and long-legged beasties,

and things that go 'bump' in the night;

Oh, Good Lord deliver us! ~ an old scottish spell for protection against such stuff

user posted image

Description

Humanoid. They are gaunt in the face with bulging yellowish eyes, and large mouths lined with rows of tiny razor-sharp teeth. They have long and lanky arms with clawed hands, and they walk on short, sinewy legs. Their skin is a thick and fibrous hide, usually of a light blue-gray color large. Ghouls often appear naked, or wearing the last vestiges of clothing they wore before they became a ghoul. They crave on mammalian flesh (preferably human) taken from the living or recently-dead. They can normally be found prowling cemeteries at night for the newly burried corpses.

Ghouls have relatively low intelligence and are incapable of articulated speech. They have a only a basic understanding of simple tools, and are fundamentally driven by their instincts and lust for food. They are primarily nocturnal, preferring the cover of night to satisfy their vast appetite for human flesh.

When discovered, they will usually hiss and growl to ward off intruders and, if that fails, they will attempt a quick escape. Ghouls will only fight if they are cornered, or if they outnumber the living by at least three to one odds. Single ghouls have been known to attack infants, children, and in rare cases - wounded or sickly adults.

Origin

Ghouls have their origin in the Arabic/Persian/Indian tales of Alf Laylah wa Laylah - the Thousand Nights and a Night and in their root stories. It is an evil spirit that robbed graves and feed upon the corpses. It is sometimes confused with the indian Vetala. Some occultists believe that the Ghoul superstition comes from wild animals that disturb graves at night. It is also seen as an embodiment of the natural fear and horror which a man feels when he fases a really dangerous desert.

Ghouls are considered to belong to a true monster race. Allegations that ghouls are created by contamination or when a mortal drinks the blood of a vampire are totally falsed.

Powers

The ghoul is impervious to pain, does not age, needs no air to breathe, and is immune to drugs, poisons, and gases. Guns and knives can wound these creatures, but they will not destroy them, as the ghoul possesses remarkable regenerative powers, enabling them to withstand large caliber weapons and even small explosives.

The ghoul's strength level is at normal human-levels, but they are extremely agile and fast. They use their large claws for digging and cutting through flesh.

The ghoul possess keen night vision similar to a vampire's, and can smell human flesh (alive or dead) from up to a mile away.

Despite their cowardly demeanor, the ghoul can be dangerous. attacking unmercifully to bring their victims down, especially when they hunt in packs. With their razor-sharp claws and teeth, a pack of four ghouls can bring a full-sized adult human down and devour in under 5 minutes, leaving only the bones for remains

Weaknesses

The ghoul is a nocturnal creature, and is repelled by sunlight and artificial light. Although neither cause them any real harm, their speed and strength can be drastically reduced when subjecting them to daylight, making them easier to destroy. Ghouls are highly susceptible to fire, and this is the best way to destroy these fiends. A ghoul can be burned and subsequently destroyed by concentrated acid or electrocution as well. Decapitation is also another effective way to destroy a ghoul.

most of this stuff is from here.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• man_in_mudboots

• thepsychoticseaotter

• Pendekar Timur

• mypaddedroom

Top Posters In This Topic

jejeje..in AD&D, this things are undead beign product of corrupted people or canibals....

Hey! I'd recognize that page out of my Call of Cthulhu RPG anywhere! =) Yah, its interesting how most people's 'concept' of ghouls are so different from what they are actually based on.

jejeje..in AD&D, this things are undead beign product of corrupted people or canibals....

From the 3e Monster manuel (only cause my 1e and 2e stuff are in the other room LOL):

Ghouls are said to be created on the death of a living man or woman who savored the taste of of the flesh of people. This may or may not be true, but it does explain the discusting behavor of these antropophagous undead. Some believe that anyone of exceptional debauchery and wickedness runs the risk of becoming a ghoul.

BTW if you read the Baldurs Gate novel there is a rather disgusting one that "befriends" the protagonist in there as well. ( I gagged while reading about him)

*sigh* i should have expected this would have degenerated into a vidio and role playing game discussion. i can almost hear the mythology go 'POOF' sad.gif

ohmy.gif ...

oh my god,

is it real...??

Ghouls have their origin in the Arabic/Persian/Indian tales of Alf Laylah wa Laylah - the Thousand Nights and a Night and in their root stories

very interestin..

well..i hope it just - the Thousand Nights and a Night stories...

huh.gif

Allah ease thee, O King of the age, even as thou hast eased me of these Ghuls, whose bellies none may fill save Allah! ~ from the Quran

by the way...

i dont think that was come from Quran..

i think that is just some kind of moslems pray,blessing..

or somethin...in case to protect themselves from Evil Ghosts/Devils

including Ghuls.

p/s-thanks for the great information anyway....!!

thumbsup.gif

uh, no, i think its form the Quran, the site says 'ix. p. 152' thats a refrence, isnt it?

We have a Ghoul here in Canada.......but fortunately he's not in office anymore.

user posted image

*sigh* i should have expected this would have degenerated into a vidio and role playing game discussion. i can almost hear the mythology go 'POOF' sad.gif

Actually don't be alarmed.

The mythology is still intact here's why:

Mythology and Legend inspired Fairy tales, Fairy Tales Inspired Fantasy Novels, wich then was the inspiration for the first RPG's whic inspired video games.....Quite a natural evolution actually.....and hey evolution fits right in with the fairy tales tongue.gif

Mythology and Legend inspired Fairy tales, Fairy Tales Inspired Fantasy Novels, wich then was the inspiration for the first RPG's whic inspired video games.....Quite a natural evolution actually.....

yeah, thats all fine and dandy, but sooner or later there isnt going to be any body concerned about the mthology its self. just how it can be exploited for a RPG or video game.

True but like folklore (wich I do have a passing interest in) I have found that it reinvents itself. Look at the original tales from the Brothers Grimm. They have changed over time and some legends/myths have been borrwed from one people and adopted into another. (look at similar myths of Hercules and Thor)

I agree it is sad but, I am happy to see it happening as it shows that storytelling is not dead. It may have taken a form that most don't care for but it still lives on.