Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Universal vaccine could put an end to all flu

UM-Bot

The flu virus can kill up to half a million people a year at the best of times, with the current threat of a swine flu pandemic scientists are working harder than ever to produce a universal flu vaccine to eradicate the virus for good.

"Many once-common diseases, from smallpox to polio, have been eliminated, or nearly so, just by vaccinating children. If only we could develop a vaccine that was effective against all strains of flu, we might prevent both annual epidemics and occasional pandemics like the one now under way."

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: New Scientist

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SQLserver

• WoIverine

• :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

• Lady Amethyst

Nice, goodbye flu.....

It's unlikely such a vaccine would become widely available. Think of all the money the healthcare industry would lose if nobody went to the doctor with flu symptoms!

"Universal flu vaccine could put an end to all."

There, fixed it. BTW I'm not a huge fan of zombies, yes, I'm talking to you FDA. lol

Edited by SpiderCyde

Great, a world without sick days. My boss will just love this. :rolleyes:

Edited by Pinx

yea lol they talk about the vaccine for polio but forget to mention the AIDS that came along with it, gee thanks for the cure

Is this a joke? What on Earth does the vaccine for Polio have to do with AIDs?

Oh, I see. You must be referring to this.

Well, it's been refuted, as the below sources explain.

^ Hillis DM (2000). "AIDS. Origins of HIV". Science 288 (5472): 1757–9. doi:10.1126/science.288.5472.1757. PMID 10877695.

^ Birmingham K (2000). "Results make a monkey of OPV-AIDS theory". Nat Med 6 (10): 1067. doi:10.1038/80356. PMID 11017114.

^ a b Cohen J (2001). "AIDS origins. Disputed AIDS theory dies its final death". Science 292 (5517): 615. doi:10.1126/science.292.5517.615a. PMID 11330303.

^ Origin of Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV/AIDS) Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website , Accessed 30th January 2007

^ a b Worobey M, Santiago M, Keele B, Ndjango J, Joy J, Labama B, Dhed'A B, Rambaut A, Sharp P, Shaw G, Hahn B (2004). "Origin of AIDS: contaminated polio vaccine theory refuted". Nature 428 (6985): 820. doi:10.1038/428820a. PMID 15103367.

lol... kinda like how they wiped out small pox too huh.... they'll just keep it in a lab and it will some how "get out"

no way it will be eradicated

...long gone are the days of honesty, oh wait they never existed anyways, nevermind!

lol... kinda like how they wiped out small pox too huh..

The disease smallpox has been completely eradicated from human society for decades. This incredible effort has saved untold millions of lives.

they'll just keep it in a lab and it will some how "get out"

Right. In the same way that smallpox ever "got out".

no way it will be eradicated

Yeah, the experts at the WHO really appreciate your opinion here. They also really care about it. I assume you have a PhD in pathology and have written several scientific papers which explain exactly why you are right.

...long gone are the days of honesty, oh wait they never existed anyways, nevermind!

What the frack is this even supposed to mean, anyways?

I'm just so sick of these stupid attacks on humanitarian efforts.

Sure, I'm used to dealing with people attacking the scientists working their butts off to contribute to global knowledge.

Sure, I'm used to dealing with people attacking honest people who are really trying to make a difference.

Of course I'm used to people attacking the government for everything.

Heck, I've even grown apathetic to the people who attack the President's legitimacy as a natural born citizen.

What I simply will not stand are the fools who are so arrogant, so paranoid, so schizophrenic, and so insane enough to attack the world's greatest humanitarian efforts. These people aren't just stupid; they are as dangerous to society as murderers. They are terrorists. They spread terror through misinformation, propaganda, and conspiracy memes. They kill; just look at the polio example above. A fear of the absolutely harmless vaccine is largely response for the failure to completely eradicate polio in Africa. People are DYING because of Conspiracy nuts.

-SQLserver

Edited by SQLserver

What I simply will not stand are the fools who are so arrogant, so paranoid, so schizophrenic, and so insane enough to attack the world's greatest humanitarian efforts. These people aren't just stupid; they are as dangerous to society as murderers. They are terrorists. They spread terror through misinformation, propaganda, and conspiracy memes. They kill; just look at the polio example above. A fear of the absolutely harmless vaccine is largely response for the failure to completely eradicate polio in Africa. People are DYING because of Conspiracy nuts.

-SQLserver

Very well Put!

-SQLserver

Settle down man, you're going to have a coronary. There are those out there who have been seriously effected by contaminated "vaccines" as well as contaminated medicines. I've heard the FDA rejects a significant amount of medicine due to contaminants. Have those safeguards always been in place? Nope. My aunt who was a mild asthmatic is now a severe asthmatic due to usage of contaminated albuterol. There was a class action suit and she ended up with about $150 in compensation for a lifetime of misery. Sometimes situations where loved ones go through things like that lead people to be mistrusting.

Edited by SpiderCyde

It's unlikely such a vaccine would become widely available. Think of all the money the healthcare industry would lose if nobody went to the doctor with flu symptoms!

The golden rule is if something sounds too good to be true...

Thats a very good news....But i wonder will the principle bahind it work?

Thanks

B???