Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Study: UK Muslim youth feel demonized

acidhead

Tue, 01 Sep 2009 http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=104959&sectionid=351020601

Many young British Muslims feel they have been demonized and under attack by the UK police and media ever since the September 11 events and 2005 London bombings, a study shows.

The study, carried out by an Islamic Think Tank called the Policy Research Center, reported on Monday that since the September 11 attacks and 2005 London bombings, Muslims in Britain have been under pressure to prove they can be both British and Muslim at the same time.

Moreover, they believe that Britain's role in Iraq and Afghanistan has only increased the pressure.

The report also revealed young Muslims feel they are under attack by the media, saying that it portrays them as a threat to society.

"This is especially damaging when myths and stereotypes surmount accurate information, resulting in young British Muslims being portrayed as a threat to the wellbeing of the wider British communities," it said.

The think tank added that many young British Muslims not only say they do not trust the police, but feel harassed by them, as well.

This comes as the report cited a dramatic rise in Muslims being stopped and searched in the street after the July 2005 bombings, which killed 52 people in London.

The police blamed the attack on four British Muslims, three of Pakistani origin.

According to the last census in 2001, there are currently more than 1.6 million Muslims residing in Britain. Unofficial estimates, however, suggest the number could now be well above 2 million.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mattshark

• itsnotoutthere

• momentarylapseofreason

• Bill Hill

:passifier:

Yeah there just being whiney about the levels of racism towards Pakistanis in the UK. How disgraceful of them to be offended by petty little ing-er-land-er bigots and the general increase in racism, bigotry and nationalism in the UK in general.

Well if they dont like it p*** off somewhere else. What was the excuse in the 80's?. what about the summer of race riots in 2001 before 9/11 had even happened or Iraq or 2005 suicide bombings. what a load of b******s. any excuse will **** well do.

Well if they dont like it p*** off somewhere else. What was the excuse in the 80's?. what about the summer of race riots in 2001 before 9/11 had even happened or Iraq or 2005 suicide bombings. what a load of b******s. any excuse will **** well do.

So that is the fault of all Muslims is it? Does that excuse the general racism towards Pakistanis in this country? You tell people who where born here to p*** of if they don't like it. That is not only undemocratic but out right disgusting way for any human to act.

The Brothers as they like to call one another have all brought it on themselves. they chose to come over here in their droves setting up little enclaves, bringing with them an alien religion to our shores, now why haven't they tried to fit in, No what they want is the same way of life they had back in the motherland, but with all the benefits of a prosperous Nation such as ours lets get one thing straight they chose us we never chose them.

Edited by stevewinn

The Brothers as they like to call one another have all brought it on themselves. they chose to come over here in their droves setting up little enclaves, bringing with them an alien religion to our shores, now why haven't they tried to fit in, No what they want is the same way of life they had back in the motherland, but with all the benefits of a prosperous Nation such as ours lets get one thing straight they chose us we never chose them.

BS, you are talking about a tiny minority that want to live like their homeland, most of them will have their homeland in the UK. The problems come from segregation and racism (and that is not just from the whites) and there is a lot of racism both petty and severe especially towards Pakistanis (and plenty towards Indians too).

Islam has been in this country for a long time. The first Mosque in England was Liverpool 1887 and most are not extremist at all.

I honestly don't understand how people (racists, it seems) can choose to attack-- whether verbally or physically, or what have you-- someone who shares the same skin colour or beliefs as the people who carried out the 2005 bombings, purelyfor that reason.

I don't think that everyone is inherently racist, at least, for a long time it's seemed that the outspoken people you hear telling people to 'go back to their own countries, init' which are generally a minority. And I actually think that youth in general is demonised, never mind British Muslims.

Here's a sticking point:

Muslims in Britain have been under pressure to prove they can be both British and Muslim at the same time.

Round here, we don't even get that much exposure to Muslims, even though there is certainly a community. There are only about four Muslims in my entire school-- there is an Islamic Institute in the area, and that in itself doesn't really lend itself to tolerance in the first place.

Thing is, a lot of what gets said is petty, and that seems off with the parts of that article stating that 'many young British Muslims' do not trust the police.

Edited by _Libby

Yeah there just being whiney about the levels of racism towards Pakistanis in the UK. How disgraceful of them to be offended by petty little ing-er-land-er bigots and the general increase in racism, bigotry and nationalism in the UK in general.

Yea Matt, it's all just whiney white biggots that cause all the problems.

Would you describe these colourful characters as racists? You'd probebly say they were 'ligitimately venting their anger' or some other wet liberal cliche.

post-39751-125182327293_thumb.jpg

post-39751-125182329273_thumb.jpg

post-39751-125182331421_thumb.jpg

post-39751-12518233262_thumb.jpg

post-39751-125182334223_thumb.jpg

post-39751-125182336009_thumb.jpg

post-39751-125182337424_thumb.jpg

post-39751-125182338805_thumb.jpg

What a bizzar topsy turvey world you live in matt.

Edited by itsnotoutthere

Islam has been in this country for a long time. The first Mosque inEngland was Liverpool 1887 and most are not extremist at all.

Henry William Quilliam opened themosque on Christmas day in 1889. He was the son of a wealthy man whoconverted to Islam in 1887 after a visit to Morocco, adopting the nameAbdullah. The building of his Islamic centre also included an orphanageas well as a printing press in the basement.

http://www.mpacuk.org/content/view/5216/102/

:geek: cough cough, wealthy man converted to islam, they didn't actually land here. so when they arrived was probably much later.

Yea Matt, it's all just whiney white biggots that cause all the problems.

post-39751-125182327293_thumb.jpg

post-39751-125182329273_thumb.jpg

post-39751-125182331421_thumb.jpg

post-39751-12518233262_thumb.jpg

post-39751-125182334223_thumb.jpg

post-39751-125182336009_thumb.jpg

post-39751-125182337424_thumb.jpg

post-39751-125182338805_thumb.jpg

What a bizzar topsy turvey world you live in matt.

Yeah is a good reason to be a bigot. Be just as pathetic as those people. Clearly also that must mean ALL Muslims are like that clearly.

Henry William Quilliam opened themosque on Christmas day in 1889. He was the son of a wealthy man whoconverted to Islam in 1887 after a visit to Morocco, adopting the nameAbdullah. The building of his Islamic centre also included an orphanageas well as a printing press in the basement.

http://www.mpacuk.org/content/view/5216/102/

:geek: cough cough, wealthy man converted to islam, they didn't actually land here. so when they arrived was probably much later.

Yeah of course we never brought people over from our colonies or anything did we.

Yeah is a good reason to be a bigot. Be just as pathetic as those people. Clearly also that must mean ALL Muslims are like that clearly.

Hey buddy, i'm not marching in the street carrying a plackard with the words 'DEATH TO ISLAM' printed on it, but the fact that i'm highlighting that they are, makes me the same as them huh? Yes, what a topsy turvy world you do live in. Your 'bigot scale' needs re-calibrating.

P.S. I particularly like the irony of the guy (with his face covered, natch) holding the plackard saying 'FREEDOM GO TO HELL' No doubt doing this in his country of origin would reward him with 50 lashes & a jail term. But it's nice that he's made the effort to come here & give it a go, coward.

Edited by itsnotoutthere

Hey buddy, i'm not marching in the street carrying a plackard with the words 'DEATH TO ISLAM' printed on it, but the fact that i'm highlighting that they are, makes me the same as them huh? Yes, what a topsy turvy world you do live in. Your 'bigot scale' needs re-calibrating.

Well firstly if you bothered to read I never said it was all down to white bigotry, but I doubt you can make a reasonable argument that Stevewinns and chem-lickers posts where not born out of bigotry because they were. Secondly generalisations on a whole group based on a some of them being idiots and bigoted is bigoted in its self.

Are you really suggesting that all British Muslims should put up with bigotry because they have a small minority amongst them who are bigoted? Because all I said was that is wrong and it is not justifiable.

BS, you are talking about a tiny minority that want to live like their homeland, most of them will have their homeland in the UK. The problems come from segregation and racism (and that is not just from the whites) and there is a lot of racism both petty and severe especially towards Pakistanis (and plenty towards Indians too).

Islam has been in this country for a long time. The first Mosque in England was Liverpool 1887 and most are not extremist at all.

Matt,when you say a tiny minority how many about, roughly?

NEVER SEEN YOUR POST CHEM. B)

The mosque in Liverpool in the 1800's is not your typical mosque. it wasn't built as a mosque, its a traditional English building that was designated a mosque because a British chap by the name of William i cant remember' went on long expeditions around the British Empire and on one of these trips he come back as a convert. It shut down as a mosque about fifteen years after it opened because it had no followers and while the William i cant remember was on expeditions the place was shut down. that same building is still standing today and in the 60's through to the 80's it was used as a wedding registry office then around about the late 90's it was council officers. you might know it as Brougham Terrace. so it was has much has a mosque as my spare bedroom.

Edited by stevewinn

You just have to check their pass record, there are in fact plenty of decent muslim countries in the world, governed by muslim theocracy style governments.

I er just can't think of any... at the moment.

Don't give up... just give me a minute..

I'm thinking... mmmm ur

er Turkey and Iran??

Well firstly if you bothered to read I never said it was all down to white bigotry, but I doubt you can make a reasonable argument that Stevewinns and chem-lickers posts where not born out of bigotry because they were. Secondly generalisations on a whole group based on a some of them being idiots and bigoted is bigoted in its self.

Are you really suggesting that all British Muslims should put up with bigotry because they have a small minority amongst them who are bigoted? Because all I said was that is wrong and it is not justifiable.

Firstly you are making a grand sweeping statement that ALL muslims are the victims of bigotry, obviously they are not.

Secondly are you suggesting that the majority of white british people put up with Islamic racist bigotry, without comment.

Thirdly, I suspect that chem-lickers & stevewinns comments are like mine in fact born out of frustration at having to put up with the type of crap as shown in the photos i posted (lets not forget the islamic protests at our returning soldiers) & expected to accept & not comment on for fear of some self loathing liberal type thowing the word racist around in a bid to stifle any debate.

You obviously don't realize it but your bleeding heart self loathing liberal apologist leanings have turned you into a reverse bigot.

Edited by itsnotoutthere

lol... its entertaining reading the usual comments from the pro-english UK people...

You know who you are... no need to name names... you guys love sticking it to muslim countries yet offer no solution to your self absorbed problems at home.

Meaning: most of your posts indicate you people do not know what you want.... you crave the death and destruction of Afghanistan and Iraq.... Iran too...

yet, the resulting factor is you people than have to adopt the immigrants and refugees from these western invasions of Islamic countries... AND offer them the same humanitarian rights

and privileges promised to the english people of the UK....

You shoot yourselves in the foot by agreeing to globalization through force... and you cannot handle the criticism that follows because of it....

you guys love sticking it to muslim countries yet offer no solution to your self absorbed problems at home.

That's not true.. I'm offering solutions, I think we need to concentrate on what we have in common. Focus on the positive.

For example;

I don't like pedophiles, and yes, I do think throwing them off cliffs is quite good.

Also I agree, women can be quite annoying.

It was the same for the Irish, after any major IRA bombings. - Except even they wouldn't blow themselves up.

The Extremeist Islamic bombings were horrid, terrifying things. So, of course a stigma is going to attach itself to Muslims. Especially since OTHER extremist muslims aren't doing anything to subdue that stigma, by causing riots, telling Britain to go to hell - while they live on benefits.

So, until the fundies die - and hopefully all religious fundies will die pretty soon. Then your average everyday Muslims stand no chance of ridding of the stigma that was thrown on them.

While I detest all Abrahamic religions, and the way Islam treats its women. Some muslims are becoming westernised, which is nice. As the women finally get a voice and a freedom they wouldn't have being a husbands-slave.

But, just as the stigma of the Irish after any IRA bombing. The stigma of islamic extremists, will eventually erode and be gone. After all, both 9/11 and 7/7 are still very fresh memories.

---

And the part about the police? Why do they feel victimised? The police are utterly useless and a pathetic waste on tax spending. Why? Because all the red tape and BS-PC'ness Liebour brought in, has ruined any attempt of decent policing. To the point where, if you phone the police about a break in or whatever, they tell you to sort it yourself. (This actually happened to me, once when the house was broken into, and again when my step-dads truck was broken into.)

lol... its entertaining reading the usual comments from the pro-english UK people...

You know who you are... no need to name names... you guys love sticking it to muslim countries yet offer no solution to your self absorbed problems at home.

Meaning: most of your posts indicate you people do not know what you want.... you crave the death and destruction of Afghanistan and Iraq.... Iran too...

yet, the resulting factor is you people than have to adopt the immigrants and refugees from these western invasions of Islamic countries... AND offer them the same humanitarian rights

and privileges promised to the english people of the UK....

You shoot yourselves in the foot by agreeing to globalization through force... and you cannot handle the criticism that follows because of it....

Wrong again Acidhead. I for one (& i'm sure the majority) would rather we had never set foot in Iraq or Afganistan in fact i've said before that we should keep all these pariah countries at arms length & have nothing whatsoever to do with them, but no, our inept Labour government knew best.

Yes, & we do offer the humanitarian rights & privileges not offered to them in their own countries & what do they do with those freedoms.....see the pictures I posted previously for the answer, & that my friend has a lot to do with the issues raised in your original post.

Edited by itsnotoutthere

Wrong again Acidhead. I for one (& i'm sure the majority) would rather we had never set foot in Iraq or Afganistan in fact i've said before that we should keep all these pariah countries at arms length & have nothing whatsoever to do with them, but no, our inept Labour government knew best.

Yes, & we do offer the humanitarian rights & privileges not offered to them in their own countries & what do they do with those freedoms.....see the pictures I posted previously for the answer, & that my friend has a lot to do with the issues raised in your original post.

I agree, usual load of bo11ocks.

It was the same for the Irish, after any major IRA bombings. - Except even they wouldn't blow themselves up.

It was the same for the Irish, period. Irish immigrants were treated as second class citizens, but they kept their heads down and did their best to integrate with the existing English communities. Credit to them, they did it; and today there are no issues concerning them or their descendants that I'm aware of.

That's not what we're seeing today with Asian/Muslim immigrants. What we're seeing now has a ring of annexation to it. Instead of integrating with the populace, a large number are gluing to each other, creating their own communities and now their own courts.

Edited by Raptor

Surely the litmus test for tolerance would be allowing Pakistani girls to date white boy's most people know the girl would be beaten or even killed, if the boy could be caught on his own the same fate would happen to him, it's common to see Pakistani boys with white girls, who are the racists?

Pakistanis are whinngers they never stop, what ever you give them it's not enough.

Tue, 01 Sep 2009 http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=104959&sectionid=351020601

Many young British Muslims feel they have been demonized and under attack by the UK police and media ever since the September 11 events and 2005 London bombings, a study shows.

The study, carried out by an Islamic Think Tank called the Policy Research Center, reported on Monday that since the September 11 attacks and 2005 London bombings, Muslims in Britain have been under pressure to prove they can be both British and Muslim at the same time.

Moreover, they believe that Britain's role in Iraq and Afghanistan has only increased the pressure.

The report also revealed young Muslims feel they are under attack by the media, saying that it portrays them as a threat to society.

"This is especially damaging when myths and stereotypes surmount accurate information, resulting in young British Muslims being portrayed as a threat to the wellbeing of the wider British communities," it said.

The think tank added that many young British Muslims not only say they do not trust the police, but feel harassed by them, as well.

This comes as the report cited a dramatic rise in Muslims being stopped and searched in the street after the July 2005 bombings, which killed 52 people in London.

The police blamed the attack on four British Muslims, three of Pakistani origin.

According to the last census in 2001, there are currently more than 1.6 million Muslims residing in Britain. Unofficial estimates, however, suggest the number could now be well above 2 million.

Just noticed how the above quote in bold was worded, like there was some doubt. :hmm:

Edited by itsnotoutthere