Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wanshang Dhole...what is it

Dancing_Dumplings

ok so i was watchin season 6 of the Xfiles...and i was watching 1 episode about a rare dog... called the Wanshang Dhole. now they say its an chinese dog of some kind...but being a TV show i dont know if it acually true or not. now im chinese so it interests me even more...i tried to google it, but all i came up with is just stuff about the episode, nothing about the atual dog.

if anyone has any info on this thing please let me know....lol cuz its been driving me nuts!

thanks tongue.gif

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Panthera leo atrox

• Wild-Eyes

• Dancing_Dumplings

• Falco Rex

Guest Lottie

I found this little bit of info that might help:

1850. Around this year, the Chinese Wanshang Dhole wild dog  is believed to become extinct. The dog, a scavanger, is also the basis for Chinese myth  and legend which calls it a trickster dog, able to open doors, steal wives and disappear  into thin air. The Wangshang Dhole may also be related to a form of Chinese werewolf, which does not become extinct.
Edited by Lottie

I think they may have made that up for the X-files.

No more real than the Leechman.

It's every bit as real as the Loveland Frog-man... grin2.gif

maybe its based on the mythical Chinese Foxes....that live hundreds of years, have many tales and are very cunning and intelligent, often associated with being trickster spirits in folk lore...

Might be based on the Chinese Foo Dog?

The Shar-Pei was thought to be extinct after 200 BC, and are still the rarest dog in the world, thereabouts.

By the way, I loved that episode! It is my 3d favorite. Werewolves are so cool!! grin2.gifcool.gif

yeah i read about it being an old chinese myth at some website...that episode freaked the crap outta me lol couldnt look at my dog for like 3 weeks....i asked some1 about it on another site and he said that a lot of the xfiles plots...err not plots...creatures... are taken from myths or leagends. but i dunno real or not tongue.gif its still cool hehehe thumbsup.gif

I don't know... I couldn't find any Chinese monster myths based on dogs, as they're highly revered in that culture (unlike the fox). I'd love to see what myth it was based on, but I couldn't figure anything out, other than it might indeed have been based on a werefox tale.

• 5 weeks later...

sounds to me like some sort of chinese cuisine

• 6 months later...

It's amazing. I'm watching that episode of the X-Files right now and from what I've seen, it looks like a shapeshifter... with evil glowing red eyes. hmm.gif

ok so i was watchin season 6 of the Xfiles...and i was watching 1 episode about a rare dog... called the Wanshang Dhole. now they say its an chinese dog of some kind...but being a TV show i dont know if it acually true or not. now im chinese so it interests me even more...i tried to google it, but all i came up with is just stuff about the episode, nothing about the atual dog.

if anyone has any info on this thing please let me know....lol cuz its been driving me nuts!

thanks  tongue.gif

173019[/snapback]

isn't that the dog that could take on human form? the one with the red eyes? I remember that episode, but I'm not sure if it's real. sorry, wish I could help you out

• 6 years later...

I was reading Yahoo news and stumbled on to this article and it reminded me of The episode "Alpha" from the X-Files. http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110610/us_yblog_thelookout/bloodthirsty-pack-of-dogs-take-out-350-lb-llama

Anyway, I decided to ask my mom and my grandmother about it and they told me a few legends. (I rewatched the episode "Alpha" too) All my mom and my grandmother told me was that the Wan Sheng Dhole was a type of dog and that it did die out due to hunting. It was a rare breed of dog with 5 toes and very unusual eyes. My grandmother believed that they were murderous men who had been cursed to walk the earth in the form of a dog…. Anyway, my mother told me to ask my grandfather about it (He is a Shinto Priest in Taiwan) I Realize this thread is almost a decade old now but I figured I might as well give some information incase anyone was interested.

It is always good to get more information on a subject. Having the actual Chinese legends given from sources that know the legends from their youth is worth reading about. If you get a good story about these Wanshang Dholes, please type it up and post it here. It will remain online and recorded forever.

Seems to me the pic I saw of the X-Files dhole is not even close to what the real life dholes look like.