Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US should adopt same human rights standards as the

Guest Lottie

Guest Lottie

LONDON, May 18 (Xinhuanet) -- The United States could not really be the policeman for the world without upholding themselves to the same human rights standards they hold for others, a senior British expert on international law said on Tuesday.

"It is, maybe, relevant for them (the Americans) to put a chapter in the human rights report on their own human rights facts both in the United States and abroad, to acknowledge there have been problems and then to see what kind of measures they are taking," the expert told Xinhua on the condition of anonymity, referring to the US annual promotion of human rights report that summarizes its actions in 101 countries to promote freedom and to end abuses.

The United States might see a difficult position in its progress on human rights in the wake of the revelation of alleged Iraqi prisoners abuse by US troops in the country, the expert believed.

"I don't think it (the US decision to delay the publication of the report) will make someone forget the prisoner abuse scandal," the expert said. "The depth and the breadth of the scandal is vast... People will continue to investigate it and the issue will not blow away."

"It is clear that there have been abuses. The real question now is not whether there have been abuses or not... but what we are going to do about it, how it would be investigated, who is going to pay the price for it," the expert added.

With America's reputation at its lowest ebb in years, the US State Department on Monday published its human rights report amid media reports that the publication had been delayed for 12 days because the "environment" had not been right.

The British Daily Telegraph newspaper reported on Tuesday that the US government has conceded that the prisoner abuse scandal wasa huge "cloud" over its mission to boost democracy and human rights around the world. Enditem

Source

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KayEl

• stillcrazy

• Stamford

• Seraphina

At least when we are caught we expressed regret over it and admitted that it was wrong. Have you hear anybody from that cursed desert of a place apologize for their behavior, decrying the decapitation of Nick Berg?

NO!

For our role in World War 2 and providing one of the highest standards of living in the world so people all over flock to our shores looking for a better life, we EARNED our position as a world power.

As for policeman of the world?

Don't get in trouble and you won't get in trouble with the police!

How simple!

Then again, some skulls are thicker than other!

that kind of needless anger is the reason why i won't be too sad about america not being "the" superpower in a short while.

Post removed so everyone will stay on topic and quit debating my post, as it was a sacastic attempt at humor.

Hey I'm all for the U.S. getting out of every other country, leaving the world to it's own problems.

Edited by stillcrazy

I know who I am writing in on the November ballot... tongue.gif

I know I'll get slammed for this. But here goes.

I think the U.S. should become an isolated country, Close our borders, kick out all those on any kind of visa. Zero travel across our borders. If a person is caught, they will be tried and convicted the same day, and after a final meal of stale bread and water, executed. No more deportations. (Kinda slows the influx) If a company wants to have operations overseas, fine. They can move all operations to another country and sell their products there, but cannot sell it here. Withdraw from the U.N. and have it's operations move to the middle east, or anyplace else for that matter, we don't care. All International flights are cancelled, so we can lessen the security at airports. We can close all our military bases in other countries, and if they're attacked, so what, not our problem. We can spend our military dollars on a impentrable defense system. With the money we save from not supporting other countries that have no intention of ever paying us back, we can improve our schools, feed and house our poor, and take care of our sick and injured. All this would mean a lower wage, but there is nothing on the world market, other than oil, that the U.S. can't make on it's own. It will take some time for the public to get used to certain things, but all in all we will be happier and live longer because we don't have to worry about others in foriegn lands. If some evil dictator decides to kill all his people with biological or chemical weapons. So what.

Hey I'm all for the U.S. getting out of every other country, leaving the world to it's own problems.

Think about it.

You are my new Favorite person......

Have you hear anybody from that cursed desert of a place apologize for their behavior, decrying the decapitation of Nick Berg?

Actually, I read in the papers over the next couple of days that many Iraqis were horrified by the execution of that poor man.

I think that most people are stunned by the recent revelations of human rights abuses by the US in Iraq, but, although I am sure this is just the tip of the iceberg, I don't think it relates to many within the US armed forces, who are trying to do an impossible task out there to the best of their abilities.

See I can be nice about the US too. thumbsup.gif

nah, the US should still be friends with australia:P

Build an inpenetrable wall around the entire middle east, send those who refuse to assimilate back to their homelands and let the Middle East deal with its own problems and implode:)

OK, I'm really trying to resist because generally I agree with stillcrazy, but the arrogance of that statement was beyond belief....

All this would mean a lower wage, but there is nothing on the world market, other than oil, that the U.S. can't make on it's own

Well there you go, apart from oil, I could come up with a hundred reasons why the US can't do without oil but I don't think I need to.

If a company wants to have operations overseas, fine. They can move all operations to another country and sell their products there

So no more cinema, bye bye Hollywood, no McDonalds or BK (Actually given the general state of American's health no fast food is probably a good thing) in fact you'd rid the US of pretty much every industry as they all have some dealings with the outside world.

I assume that also means you couldn't use this website as it's UK based, so all Americans would have an entirely separate internal internet.

So basically, you want to turn the US into North Vietnam. I'm a bit disappointed SC, I had nothing but respect for you till you said the US can survive entirely on it's own, especially on a website based in a country that's supposedly one of your best allies.

I think the U.S. should become an isolated country, Close our borders, kick out all those on any kind of visa. Zero travel across our borders. If a person is caught, they will be tried and convicted the same day, and after a final meal of stale bread and water, executed. No more deportations. (Kinda slows the influx) If a company wants to have operations overseas, fine. They can move all operations to another country and sell their products there, but cannot sell it here. Withdraw from the U.N. and have it's operations move to the middle east, or anyplace else for that matter, we don't care. All International flights are cancelled, so we can lessen the security at airports. We can close all our military bases in other countries, and if they're attacked, so what, not our problem. We can spend our military dollars on a impentrable defense system. With the money we save from not supporting other countries that have no intention of ever paying us back, we can improve our schools, feed and house our poor, and take care of our sick and injured. All this would mean a lower wage, but there is nothing on the world market, other than oil, that the U.S. can't make on it's own. It will take some time for the public to get used to certain things, but all in all we will be happier and live longer because we don't have to worry about others in foriegn lands. If some evil dictator decides to kill all his people with biological or chemical weapons. So what.

Think about it.

and then see how your country fall because its too dependant of the rest of the world to mantain his economy.

I think maybe other countries who depend on us would have a lot more to worry about economy wise..

Still, being a closed country is not a good idea. It put China back by a hundred years, and you can see how well it's working for North Korea..

Guest Lottie

Build an inpenetrable wall around the entire middle east, send those who refuse to assimilate back to their homelands and let the Middle East deal with its own problems and implode:)

Yay! That has got to be the most sensible and logical idea yet!

maybe a wall over the states is a bit excessive, but the isolationist attitudes of good ol woodrow wilson could help the states for a bit. they won't have any pesky wars to start. or finish when other countries come begging for help. then, after a few years, there'll be a massive war, a country will randomly attack the states, and america will come out of isolation, crush the enemies with help from their allies, and the steel industry will boom.

tonka tough steel for everyone!

The whole point of the post was to show that the U.S. cannot survive without interaction with other countries. Isolationism is not the answer. We have, regardless of if others like it or not, a global connection to all other countries.

I don't always agree with how my country does things when it comes to outside politics. And as for our human rights problems, yes there are some major areas we need improvement.

Many times we try to do what is right, and we fail. We get bashed by our 'freinds' and stabbed in the back by others who take our money in one hand and write nasty articals with the other.

Sorry if anyone lost respect for me, but then that just proves my point even further. I'm an okay person as long as I post ideas that they agree with, but the minute I say something that is against the grain, I lose their respect.

The whole thing was written with sarcasm.

But maybe thebarman is correct, I should stop posting here.

no worries man, keep posting.

Then I apologise, it is difficult to pick up on sarcasm when all you've got to go on is text - I wrote my reply thinking it was written seriously.

Also, I never said you shouldn't post here, I welcome any reply to my comments you may have

I'm an okay person as long as I post ideas that they agree with, but the minute I say something that is against the grain, I lose their respect.

I would not lose respect for you for saying something that was merely against the grain, I lost it because of the tone I percieved that you were saying it in, ie; not sarcastically.

If anyone had said they thought their country should be isolated from the world and would be better for it I'd have responded in the same manner.

Hope no one was offended

Ok the post was written in sarcasm and i had a feeling it was becuase your previous posts were nothing like that, which is why i never replied.

However it wasnt clearly sarcasm, you cant really fault barman for reacting the way he did and nothing he said was actually an attack on you.

In saying the thing about the forum he was also merley making the point that american people who feel the way your POST was worded (and i know this not to be your true feelings) seem to forget that america does need the restof the world as much as we DO need you.

I dont think that you can take that much offence in barman's post. From what i can tell you seem to enjoy replying to posts that you disagree with in a similar manner to barman.

Edited by wunarmdscissor

Sorry if ya all missed the sarcasm, since I'm generally not a sarcastic person, I am not very good at it.

Bye all, enjoy.

Sorry if ya all missed the sarcasm, since I'm generally not a sarcastic person, I am not very good at it.

Bye all, enjoy.

Does this mean I can't write you in on the November ballot? crying.gif

tongue.gif

Why should the rest of the world suffer because of a bunch of desert nutcases who hide behind their religion and their "race" and thus using the PC wagon to enable them to carry on their bigotry, misogyny, and homophobia?

I agree with building a wall around the Middle (except Israel and perhaps Turkey) and just let them carry on as they want. They don't want western influence? Fine, we don't want anything to do with you.

THen again, we need their frigging oil.

We really need to find an alternative to oil.....I have said this before...if it wasn't for oil, nobody would care about the Middle East.

The only lasting contribution they have given to the rest of the world was their written numerals.

And that was ages ago.

Ugh, I like Stillcrazy. He does have a point, we for the most part do tend to measure another person's intelligence by whether or not they agree with us. For what it's worth, I really, really was hoping he was being sarcastic.

this is why I don't post on the political threads all that much, I tend to pick fights. Not a pretty thing to do, really.

I removed the post, as I am not very good at sarcasm, it seemed it was taking the thread off topic.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

Later.

Why should the rest of the world suffer because of a bunch of desert nutcases who hide behind their religion and their "race" and thus using the PC wagon to enable them to carry on their bigotry, misogyny, and homophobia?

A great deal of the resentment against the US from the middle east stems from the constant meddling and support Israel recieve from the states while they ethnically cleanse the Palistinians. The US government is not entirerly blameless in the matter, and does bring a great deal of the resentment and hatred on itself because of its foreign policy.

However, there's a difference between inviting hatred, and inviting the mass slaughter of civilians...I, personally, agree with the idea of cutting all political contact with the middle east in general. On a cultural level, much of the middle east is at the same level we were during the crusades (the fact tht the west has given Israel tanks and gunships to fight their particular crusade doesn't help), and we can't expect to simply bring them leaping up into our way of thinking overnight.

Either a conscous effort needs to be made to create order in the middle east (the first step of which would be putting a leash of Israel instead of giving it a get out of jail free card) or to abandon it completely...going to war, and creating more and more terrorists hungry for revenge isn't helping.

Stillcrazy

Why take your post off? you have as much right as anyone to air your views.

As I said, it was a poor attempt at sarcasm, not my usual thought out ideas and such. I don't fault barman for his response, nor wunder. I had hoped by removing the post it would get the thread back on topic. Seems that it went way off what was the theme of the thread.

Again I apologize if I offended anyone, it was a poor attempt at humor.

later

SC