Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

EMF readings *question*

She-ra

EMF from an MRI machine is many orders of magnitude beyond what most people would experience even in industrial settings. At those gauss levels yes, bad things can happen. My comments were in reference to EM fields associated with common sources. MRI's excluded.

My point is that since it's known that an incredibly high magnetic field can cause profound effects on a human, I'm willing to accept the possibility that some individuals might be hypersensitive to the fields. Sort of like how an average adult won't die until after a couple hundred bee stings, but some people will die from 1. Now, I do get thoroughly annoyed to hear Grant go down his list (nausea, paranoia, hallucination, skin irritation) with such authority.

A network jack next to an MRI? I can't believe that would work at all with the MRI running. The flux from a simple florescent ballast is usually enough to be a show stopper. The MRI might even be able to blow out transceivers.

I've seen far more amazing things. I had a project at a company that had 1 building, then bought the building next door (all years before I entered the picture). They a couple of 100 pair phone cables connecting the 2 buildings together, but nothing else. When they first decided to add the new building to the network, their tech guy ran catV from the server room to the phone room, ran the signal across the 100 pair connecting cables to the 2nd building's phone room, over old silver satin phone line from the 2nd building phone room to one of the offices in the basement, then spliced the silver satin to a piece of catV and put a jack on it...

It actually worked. It was slow, but you could log on and send/retrieve data.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sinewave

• WARRIOR FOR THE LIGHT

• She-ra

• sam12six

I've seen far more amazing things. I had a project at a company that had 1 building, then bought the building next door (all years before I entered the picture). They a couple of 100 pair phone cables connecting the 2 buildings together, but nothing else. When they first decided to add the new building to the network, their tech guy ran catV from the server room to the phone room, ran the signal across the 100 pair connecting cables to the 2nd building's phone room, over old silver satin phone line from the 2nd building phone room to one of the offices in the basement, then spliced the silver satin to a piece of catV and put a jack on it...

It actually worked. It was slow, but you could log on and send/retrieve data.

Jeez, there would not be many attenuation issues with that setup. :) The frame error rate must have been over 90% from the NEXT alone. Some people are just unclear on the concept.

• 2 weeks later...

Even if we accept for the moment that EM fields are indicators or producers of anomalous phenomena, there is a much more basic problem with the usual EMF meters used by ghost hunters. These meters only give a single reading at any point in time. However, in the case of an AC EM field there are three components: amplitude, frequency and phase. The AC EM meters mostly assume that you are interested in power line frequecy and so most are weighted for 50 to 60 Hz; they don't respond consistently outside of that limited bandpass. The phase and direction of the signal in many meters is also difficult to determine since they are 'triaxial' in nature. In other words, they will reliably detect a field irrespective of its orientation. While this is somewhat useful in some applications, it rather defeats the purpose in this case. Adding to the complexity is that the reading on most AC EMF meters is also frequency-dependent. If the frequency shifts but amplitude remains unchanged, often the reading on the meter will also shift.

A better way of measuring these fields is using spectrum analysis, which combines the field amplitude and frequency measurements over time, producing a topographical display of field activity.

Another problem has to do with the actual nature of these fields. While many seem to believe that high-energy fields (hence high readings) are important in haunting cases, the reality seems to be that hallucinations most often occur with very low frequency (under 15 Hz typically) and more importantly very low amplitude (in the range of tenths of milliguass) signal. Research suggests that it is the complexity of these fields, not their amplitude which is causes these hallucinations. These have been called "Experience Inducing Fields" (EIFs) by Dr. Jason Braithwaite of the U.K. based ASSAP (www.assap.org). They are distinct from what he calls "Event Related Fields" (ERFs) that are more associated with PK style activity. ERFs are high level fields that seem to support PK in specific locations.

So using a single reading meter is not a good idea in general, despite what is done on television.

Even if we accept for the moment that EM fields are indicators or producers of anomalous phenomena, there is a much more basic problem with the usual EMF meters used by ghost hunters. These meters only give a single reading at any point in time. However, in the case of an AC EM field there are three components: amplitude, frequency and phase. The AC EM meters mostly assume that you are interested in power line frequecy and so most are weighted for 50 to 60 Hz; they don't respond consistently outside of that limited bandpass. The phase and direction of the signal in many meters is also difficult to determine since they are 'triaxial' in nature. In other words, they will reliably detect a field irrespective of its orientation. While this is somewhat useful in some applications, it rather defeats the purpose in this case. Adding to the complexity is that the reading on most AC EMF meters is also frequency-dependent. If the frequency shifts but amplitude remains unchanged, often the reading on the meter will also shift.

A better way of measuring these fields is using spectrum analysis, which combines the field amplitude and frequency measurements over time, producing a topographical display of field activity.

Another problem has to do with the actual nature of these fields. While many seem to believe that high-energy fields (hence high readings) are important in haunting cases, the reality seems to be that hallucinations most often occur with very low frequency (under 15 Hz typically) and more importantly very low amplitude (in the range of tenths of milliguass) signal. Research suggests that it is the complexity of these fields, not their amplitude which is causes these hallucinations. These have been called "Experience Inducing Fields" (EIFs) by Dr. Jason Braithwaite of the U.K. based ASSAP (www.assap.org). They are distinct from what he calls "Event Related Fields" (ERFs) that are more associated with PK style activity. ERFs are high level fields that seem to support PK in specific locations.

So using a single reading meter is not a good idea in general, despite what is done on television.

Good points all around. I have always held that spot readings with hand held meters reveal nothing about the nature of the observed field for these purposes. Meaningful measurements would include more than just flux density measurements and would not be limited to a single data point at any time. Multiple simultaneous measurements in a grid arrangement with control points setup outside the building / area would give a more complete picture of the field. If and EM spike was truly locally generated a detection grid would reveal it to be so. A large EM wave passing through the location would be equally detected by all of the sensing points including the control points outside the testing area. A local source would tend to be stronger near the closest detectors with the control points seeing little or nothing. I believe this arrangement would yield much more meaningful evidence.