Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

News System Updated

Saru

The set of scripts responsible for displaying the news and news archive sections of the site have now been replaced, the old ones were slow, difficult to update and were also the cause of the high server load issues we were seeing earlier this week.

The new scripts we are now using offer some new features, as well as being a lot quicker and easier to use. Some of the changes are listed below:

Full News Link

Each article now links to it's own page on the site, rather than linking directly to the source web site. This is useful for visitors who want a quick and easy way of getting more information on a story without having to go to another site to get it. It also allows for easier linking from other sites to Unexplained Mysteries, and makes the RSS Newsfeed possible. The 'Full Story' link will bring up a lengthier, more detailed version of a news story, as well as the usual source link and source credit details.

Send to friend

Visitors can now e-mail a link to someone to inform them of a news article on the site that they may find interesting. To send one, click the 'send to friend' link on the news article you want to send them a link to.

News Headlines/Archive

The news headlines/archive section has been updated, news stories will now be listed in chronological order, and are divided up into months. To view all the news stories for a month, simply click the month you wish to view and a list will appear. To view the full article, click on the article you'd like to look at.

Because the new system uses different scripts to the old one, all the news articles posted before the 18th May 2004 will only be available in the forum, you can no longer bring up a huge list of 150+ headlines spanning several months before this point. All the original news items however are still available for viewing in the 'Past News Archive' board on the forum.

Comments

The integrated comments/news system has for the moment been disabled. If you'd like to discuss the latest news stories featured on the site, you can now do so in the 'news discussion' board.

Suggest News

Visitors can now submit links to news articles for inclusion on the site. To submit a link, click the 'Suggest news' link either from the left hand menu or the top right of the main news on the front page. We cannot guarantee that every submitted article will be used, but credit will be given to those who submit an article which we feature on the site news.

Please post any comments, suggestions or bug reports in this thread, as this system is fairly new, it's quite possible that there are still some teething problems to sort out.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• Skela

• Benjo Koolzooie

• Daughter of the Nine Moons

Update

Fixed article titles on main page due to problems displaying them on some browsers

Yes I noticed a problem with the news article titles (they weren't showing up) but now they are working fine!

thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

"The integrated comments/news system" <-- But that was my favourite part. sad.gif When's it coming back up then? crying.gif

Unfortunately the comments system available for the news script does not support integration with Invision Board, so it might be some time before I get a chance to write a suitable script to do that.

Then I will await that glorius day. wink2.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that glorius day has arrived. *kneels before saruman*

*lol* I'm going to close this thread now because the news system has been changed and so this no longer applies.

For more information on the recent news system updates, including the return of the comments system, Click Here.