Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Random Fact Thread

Agent X

I scored 'The Puma' on What's Your Spirit Animal?

Mine is a Moose.

Thats a LOL actually. When I was around 10-11 years old I was riding my bike down a fairly steep path in the woods. It was a dense and rather thick wood and up ahead was a sharp turn that you couldn't see through.

I had driven down that path many times before, so I knew it, and kept a fairly high speed.

But just when I got around the bend, in the path a giant moose was standing sideways across the path, blocking it fully, chewing on some trees.

I had no chance at all to stop and smashed right in to the side (belly) of the moose.

It felt like a furry brick wall, and I smashed my nose so hard I got nose-bleed.

moose1.jpg

You cant really appreciate how large and big a full grown moose is until you look at it at close range, especially when you are 10 years old.

It seem like he eclipsed the whole sky, and he had some big-a$$ horn-crown.

The moose was pretty surprised, but not that bothered. Not bothered in the sense that it got hurt or something.

But he raised his head and turned and looked at me as I was lying in a mess there with my bike tangled all around me, and he was looking like he was saying:

"Heeey Duuuude...WTF??.....really?

Then he blow some snot out of his nose and looked like: "Yeah, whatever duuuude, I'm outta here" and took of strutting through the wood.

I was so sure my last day had come, but I got away with a bloody nose, and scraped hands and knees that I still have some scars of.

Beware of Tha Moose, I tell 'ya.

bull--moose-denali12.jpg

A full grown man in size comparison

1a907f18_vbattach303164.jpg

Mine is a Moose.

Thats a LOL actually. When I was around 10-11 years old I was riding my bike down a fairly steep path in the woods. It was a dense and rather thick wood and up ahead was a sharp turn that you couldn't see through.

I had driven down that path many times before, so I knew it, and kept a fairly high speed.

But just when I got around the bend, in the path a giant moose was standing sideways across the path, blocking it fully, chewing on some trees.

I had no chance at all to stop and smashed right in to the side (belly) of the moose.

It felt like a furry brick wall, and I smashed my nose so hard I got nose-bleed.

moose1.jpg

You cant really appreciate how large and big a full grown moose is until you look at it at close range, especially when you are 10 years old.

It seem like he eclipsed the whole sky, and he had some big-a$$ horn-crown.

The moose was pretty surprised, but not that bothered. Not bothered in the sense that it got hurt or something.

But he raised his head and turned and looked at me as I was lying in a mess there with my bike tangled all around me, and he was looking like he was saying:

"Heeey Duuuude...WTF??.....really?

Then he blow some snot out of his nose and looked like: "Yeah, whatever duuuude, I'm outta here" and took of strutting through the wood.

I was so sure my last day had come, but I got away with a bloody nose, and scraped hands and knees that I still have some scars of.

Beware of Tha Moose, I tell 'ya.

bull--moose-denali12.jpg

A full grown man in size comparison

I'm sorry but I just don't buy that story ........ looks to me like you would have simply whizzed under the moose's belly :P

My spirit animal is the LIZARD, which is as it should be because I live on the Lizard Peninsular, plus, my Chinese birth sign is the Dragon ......... and here's a komodo dragon:

0_61_virgin_dragon1.jpg

The Water Boatman is an insect that sings with its penis and is loudest creature on Earth

• Like 1

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is the fear of long words.

The continents names all end with the same letter with which they start.

I'm sorry but I just don't buy that story ........ looks to me like you would have simply whizzed under the moose's belly :P

I'm sorry you dont believe me, but it is the truth.

I was on a real bicycle, not a tricycle, so my front wheel went under him I think but not the handlebar, and definetly not me who ran my head and nose right in his belly.

They are big, but no giraffes, you know. :)

EllJay,

whoaa that is so much bigger than a story of my almost hitting a cow out in farm country,

Well, I suspect your near-hit of a cow was pretty dramatic to you.

Cows can be pretty nasty if they are in a bad mood, I've got a story about that too, but thats for another time. :)

I'm sorry you dont believe me, but it is the truth.

I was on a real bicycle, not a tricycle, so my front wheel went under him I think but not the handlebar, and definetly not me who ran my head and nose right in his belly.

They are big, but no giraffes, you know. :)

I DO believe you .......... I was just teasing you :tsu: . I was just taken aback by the size of him; I didn't realise they were so big.

The Water Boatman is an insect that sings with its penis and is loudest creature on Earth

I got one that is pretty bad as well, but that are definitely hotter.

Pistol shrimp

The snapping shrimp competes with much larger animals such as the sperm whale and beluga whale for the title of 'loudest animal in the sea'. The animal snaps a specialized claw shut to create a cavitation bubble that generates acoustic pressures of up to 80 kPa at a distance of 4 cm from the claw. As it extends out from the claw, the bubble reaches speeds of 60 miles per hour (97 km/h) and releases a sound reaching 218 decibels

The snap can also produce sonoluminescence from the collapsing cavitation bubble. As it collapses, the cavitation bubble reaches temperatures of over 5,000 K (4,700 °C).[15] In comparison, the surface temperature of the sun is estimated to be around 5,800 K (5,500 °C)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpheidae

Edited by EllJay

A single day on Mercury lasts exactly two Mercury years, or about 176 Earth days.

That's a slow spinning planet!

Chickens, swans, ducks and geese are all really funny when they run rather than fly.

Cats love laser pointers. An Amazing fact most of you probably didn't know.

yHWA4oxH8l54820qIbaBXwcdo1_500.jpg

Dogs have no shame when it comes to sex. In the street. A leg. Barney the dinosaur. It just don't care.

:)

Edited by Eldorado

If you are making sugar water for feeders for birds.. typically, hummingbirds require twice the sugar that orioles do.

Grackles don't like nyjer seed. The do like black oil sunflower seed.

I like to spell scissors with a z but my spell checker doesn't like it..... bizzybody it is ....Scizzors. :devil:

Kidnapping amongst cats are more common than previously thought.

2737.jpg

• Like 2

This is a rather disgusting one...

As Dr. Fred Legner of the University of California, Riverside, pointed out in a 1964 article,

If natures 98% 'control' of houseflies did not exist (natural predators, etc), and just one pair of flies

were to start breeding in the Spring, by the end of five months the world would be 47 feet deep with flies!

Some cats have survived falls of over 65 feet (20 meters), due largely to their “righting reflex.” The eyes and balance organs in the inner ear tell it where it is in space so the cat can land on its feet. Even cats without a tail have this ability.

[media=]

[/media]

U2 singer Bono is now a billionaire, thanks to the stake he took in Facebook many years ago.

The Acoustic Properties of Unexplained Rapping Sounds ( for some people known as Poltergeist knockings) have a very own characteristic composition from any sound produced by normal means, Dr Colvin states.

The essential difference between these raps and those produced by normal means lies in the details of their sound envelope.

In the case of a normal rap, the sound (which often only lasts a few milliseconds) starts loudly and decays over a period of time. The loudest part of the sound is right at the beginning. In the case of a poltergeist rap, the loudest part is near the beginning of the sound - but not at the very beginning. The rapping sound starts relatively quietly and works up to a maximum before it then starts to decay. This effect has been seen in all ten of the poltergeist cases studied.

Abstract: http://www.spr.ac.uk...ergeist-rapping

Scientific report:http://www.poltergei...ping Sounds.pdf

• Like 1

Mine is a Moose.

Way back when I was 10 (back in the 60's), we lived in Northern Maine. One morning about 4 AM we were awakened by my dad yelling and a very loud crashing noise...

My dad had gone to the bathroom to get ready for work, and after showering, had opened the bathroom window to let the steam clear off of the mirror so he could shave...

Finally, he lathered up - still half asleep apparently - and began shaving - only to catch a glimpse of something big and brown out of the corner of his eye... The next moment he felt something - huge- licking the shaving cream off of his face...

A female moose had stuck her head in the window and apparently thought the shaving cream was a treat...

Dad's yell (he wasn't a man who startled easily) spooked the moose who destroyed the bathroom wall (brick) to get away...

By the time we got there to see what was going on, we could see the moose running across the field, wearing the window frame as a necklace...

• Like 2

Some cats have survived falls of over 65 feet (20 meters), due largely to their “righting reflex.” The eyes and balance organs in the inner ear tell it where it is in space so the cat can land on its feet. Even cats without a tail have this ability.

Unless you super-glue a slice of bread, buttered side up, onto their backs.

(Always lands on the buttered side) :(

Half of all civil and public servants would fail the aptitude test for McDonald's.