Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is the Starchild Skull ?

UM-Bot

A mysterious skull known as the "Starchild Skull" has been the subject of speculation and intrigue for decades, is this the result of a child whose skull was deformed or could it be something otherworldly ?

"Is the ‘Starchild Skull’ from an alien or merely the remains of a cruelly deformed child? Lloyd Pye, an archeological researcher from Texas, has spent the past decade investigating the skull’s secrets and is currently on a lecture tour of the UK to explain his remarkable findings. Lloyd has become convinced that the Starchild Skull is from an alien creature known as a ‘Grey’. "

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: News Monster

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HerNibs

• WoIverine

• WolfHawk

• Rakird

It sounds like it's a hybrid human / alien skull from the tests they've run on it. The Native American stories seem to confirm that, especially since they were in the area at the time.

Not so much alien - Starchild Skull

From the article

Dating

Carbon 14 dating was performed twice, the first on the normal human skull at the University of California at Riverside in 1999, and on the Starchild skull in 2004 at Beta Analytic in Miami, the largest radiocarbon dating laboratory in the world. Both independent tests gave a result of 900 years ± 40 years since death.[7]

[edit] DNA testing

DNA testing in 1999 at BOLD, a forensic DNA lab in Vancouver, British Columbia found standard X and Y chromosomes in two samples taken from the skull, "conclusive evidence that the child was not only human (and male), but both of his parents must have been human as well, for each must have contributed one of the human sex chromosomes".[1] BOLD was unable to extract any DNA from the maxilla.[7] Further DNA testing at Trace Genetics, which unlike BOLD specializes in extracting DNA from ancient samples, in 2003 recovered mitochondrial DNA from both skulls. The child belongs to haplogroup C, while the adult female belongs to haplogroup A. Both haplotypes are characteristic Native American haplogroups, but the different haplogroup for each skull indicates that the adult female was not the child's mother.[8] Useful lengths of nuclear DNA or Y-chromosomal DNA for further testing have not yet been recovered.[9]

[edit] Explanations

Explanations for the skull's unusual features include the use of cradle boarding on a hydrocephalic child,[10] brachycephaly, Crouzon syndrome,[11] congenital hydrocephalus, and progeria.[citation needed

Nibs

Ahh, the article was untrue then. Meh, figures. The one time I don't do my homework as usual, I get nailed on it. LOL thx Nibs. :P

Edited by SpiderCyde

Ahh, the article was untrue then. Meh, figures. The one time I don't do my homework as usual, I get nailed on it. LOL thx Nibs. :P

Thats not nessarily true.. Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that "anyone" can edit. Did the person that created and edited the page on this skull really look into what they posted??

Edited by Blazar

Makes you wonder what's more reliable. A wikipedia article.. or the word of the scientist himself.

Hey, if you can link me to the DNA report that points to alien ancestory I would MORE than welcome it.

Oh, and yep, Wiki can be written by anyone but take a second and follow some of the citations.

So let's have some one produce -

The DNA report and the name of the scientist/agency that found alien DNA.

Nibs

Edited by HerNibs

I am more likely to believe the scientific wiki entry then the hocus pocus article I just read.

Not so much alien - Starchild Skull

From the article

Nibs

from the part of article that you posted here. the reasoning only holds true as long as alien dna is not the same as human dna.

Answer: As of 2003 we knew it's mother was human and its father was not. The mitochondrial DNA of its mother was an easy recovery, so we knew the nuclear DNA from both parents should have been an equally easy recovery. That it was not was a sure indication that something was very different about the father. But in 2003 we could not determine how far the father, and therefore the Starchild, were from normal humans. That's what the new DNA analysis technique discovered by 454 Life Sciences can do for us. It can determine with very high accuracy exactly how much (as a percentage) the Starchild's genome is different from a normal human

again the father is NOT human and the DNA results came in after the 1999 BOLD results. Someone needs to update wikipedia

In 1999, a chromosomal analysis of the skull was attempted by the BOLD Laboratory in Vancouver. This analysis showed that the skull's nuclear DNA responded slightly to an amelogenin primer. At only 200 picograms of DNA recovered, it was well under the usual minimum recovery value of 1000 picograms needed to make a reliable determination. However, the BOLD lab felt sufficient confidence in their result to announce that the Starchild was a fully human male child.

Because Pye was unconvinced by the BOLD Lab analysis, he arranged for a more detailed analysis of mitochondrial DNA extracted from both the skull of the purported Starchild and the adult female skeleton found with it. The results of this analysis from Trace Genetics became available in 2003. Human mtDNA was extracted from both the skull of the purported Starchild and that of the adult female found nearby. Nuclear DNA was also extracted from the adult female in two PCR reactions. The lab reported that both the Starchild Skull and adult female had mtDNA consistent with Native American origin, haplogroup C and haplogroup A, respectively, which also excluded a "mother-offspring relationship between the two individuals".[1] This demonstrates that the Starchild's mother was human, as mtDNA is passed to offspring maternally. Pye claims that the lack of nuclear DNA from the Starchild skull but not from the adult supports his hypothesis.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lloyd_Pye

Edited by hiii98

Treacher Collins

Check out this website. It discusses a little girl born with a severe form of this disease and her skull looks very similar to the "star child".

Edited by stormytea

I'm thinking deformed child. The skull kinda resembles that one deformed girl, Julia? Can't remember the name. Anyhow, the child probally looked something like her.

Another reason I dont believe its a human-alien hybrid is the simple fact that two very different species can't breed. Some very realted species can (Tigers/Lions Horse/Donkey) But even humans and monkeys whos DNA is 99.9% related can't produce off-spring. The chance an alien visitor who grew up on another PLANET could be close enough to breed with us (naturally or artifically) makes no sense.

Something kind of jumped out at me in reading this article. The statement:

To make matters even more intriguing, the skull appears to be reinforced with tough red fibres from another unknown material. These have never been seen before in any earthly creature.

Made me think of this:

http://morgellons.org/faq-home.htm

Morgellons disease is a poorly understood condition which a growing number of physicians believe to be a chronic infectious disease. The disease can be both disabling and disfiguring. The symptoms include itching, biting and crawling sensations, “filaments” or fibers which emerge from the skin...

(bold face mine) Interesting if there was a connection.

• 1 year later...