Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

If you think Dulce's neat, check this out!

gadfly21

Any of you ever heard of, or familiar with Lake Vostok in Antarctica?!? :)

From a nato official:

" You know, they have classified Lake Vostok. They took it away from JPL who was monitoring it and, you know, with satellites and all... Are you familiar with Lake Vostok in Antarctica?

Under the ice in Antarctica there is a fresh-water lake deep, deep down under the ice, that’s 100 miles long and 50 miles wide. Fresh water. The temperature in the damn lake is about 65 degrees, which is pleasant swimming, you might say.

But at the end of Lake Vostok is what’s known as a gigantic masscon -- a mass concentration of metal, very similar to the masscons they discovered on the Moon -- a gigantic, circular-shaped, metallic object deep under the ice at the end of Lake Vostok.

Highly classified. JPL had it. The National Security Agency took it away from JPL. It’s one of the most sensitive things in the world now, as to what is the anomaly at the end of the lake -- the mass con -- the mass concentration that is so easily picked up by satellite? Another top secret, you know?"

Lake Vostok, check it out, for your paranormal viewing pleasure. Doubt that UFO Hunters will be doing the story on this one anytime soon...ehehehe ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Vostok

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gadfly21

• PersonFromPorlock

• The One Who Is

• Kurzweil

Wow, I didn't know anything natural in Antarctica was that warm.

Now we all need to Just Go to Witch Mountian and Get in our Little FTL craft and Zip down there!

Its what Movies are made of Great Tales.

Wow, I didn't know anything natural in Antarctica was that warm.

Where did the OP get 65F. According to the WP article it is on average about 27F. That is below the freezing point of water but at those pressures the freeze point depresses.

Edited by sinewave

Where did the OP get 65F. According to the WP article it is on average about 27F. That is below the freezing point of water but at those pressures the freeze point depresses.

That makes more sense. :rofl:

But at the end of Lake Vostok is what’s known as a gigantic masscon -- a mass concentration of metal, very similar to the masscons they discovered on the Moon -- a gigantic, circular-shaped, metallic object deep under the ice at the end of Lake Vostok.

That WP article was alright but it really wasn't conspiracy insinuating enough. Is there anything else out there a little more..well out there?

You want something a little more 'out there'....allow me.

Speculation...the Earth itself could be artificial. A HUGE Flying object

The Masscon could be a special magnetic coil/torus driving the Earth around the sun

and creating the spin...... :geek::w00t:

More information on Lake Vostok Antarctica:

http://greyfalcon.us/restored/Vostok.htm

Early research into Lake Vostok indicated that the body of water had a depth of 2,000 feet—far deeper than any of the Great Lakes and half as deep as Asia’s Lake Baikal (5,000 feet)—a length of 300 miles and a width of 50 miles. Contrary to what was initially believed, the lake received filtered light. Further investigations also detected the existence of geothermal sources which warmed the lake to an astonishing 50 degrees Fahrenheit, with “hot spots” of up to 65 degrees. Given these new discoveries regarding solar radiation and temperature, scientists suggested the possibility that the lake’s encapsulated atmosphere purified itself through a complex interaction with water, and that the chances for vegetable life forms were very good.

Research conducted by Russian scientist Ian Toskovoi—who vanished near the Vostok station in March 2000—on “geothermal upboiling” also hinted at an alternative means of purification and replenishment for the subterranean lake’s atmosphere. Toskovoi’s geothermal upboils were located in the so-called “ice dunes,” which appear to be formed by thousands of bubbles of air measuring between several feet to several hundred feet.

However, the most intriguing news coming out of Antarctica had to do with the extremely powerful “magnetic anomaly” located in the northern end of the lake’s coast: a discovery which would give rise to a number of conjectures and would be compared with the fictional TMA-1 (Tycho Magnetic Anomaly-1) in the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey.

The electronic newspaper Antarctic Sun (www.polar.org), which soon became the main source of information on the Lake Vostok magnetic anomaly, stated that during the initial flight of the SOAR (Support Office for Aero-physical Research), aimed at conducting magnetic resonance imaging over the area, the magnetometer recorded an increase of 1,000 nanoteslas beyond the 60,000 nanoteslas which characterized the Vostok Station. Scientists had expected to find magnetic anomalies in the range of 500 to 600 nanoteslas in areas where volcanic material could be located, but the ranges encountered were simply startling. “This anomaly is so large that it cannot be the product of a daily change in the magnetic field,” stated Michael Studinger, one of the researchers involved in the mapping endeavor.

Also significant was the sheer size of the anomaly: 65 by 46 square miles. According to the mission’s geological team, the anomaly’s size and severity pointed to the fact that geological changes had taken place under the lake, suggesting the possibility that it was a place where “the earth’s crust was thinner.”

So the Harry Mason guy thought it was bunk, eh, so what? There is still something very strange and about that lake. Nobody is touching it right now, and probably for good reasons, and it isn't just environmental concerns...(hahaha, specially not during the Bush years).

Scott Corralles, the author of this other website article mentions a another tantalizing place when he mentions Ellesmere Island Canada at the end of his article:

..."a 1965 paper presented by Canadian geophysicist John M. DeLaurier of the Dominion of Canada Observatory. According to this scientist, there was something strange going on beneath the ground at Ellesmere Island, a barren location mostly covered by glacial icecap and roamed by herds of caribou and musk oxen.

Professor DeLaurier’s paper discussed the existence of a structure so vast that it defied imagination—a quasi-cylindrical loaf of an object measuring 65 miles long by 65 miles thick at a staggering depth of 80 miles. The huge structure had been detected by seismic equipment located at Alert, one of the U.S.-Canadian Distant Early Warning (DEW) stations in the Arctic wilderness. Studies showed that the object, which straddled the earth’s mantle and crust, was the source of some sort of disturbance—similar to the situation encountered at Lake Vostok 30-odd years later—affecting the magnetic field at the Alert facility and “inducing a strong flow of electricity.”

Official sources have not provided much additional information regarding the mysterious Antarctic lake, and the controversy rages on across the Internet, while hundreds of different opinions clash over the nature of the goings-on at this remote location.

In early March 2001, a U.S. channeler known as Lady Kadjina replied to a series of questions regarding the mystery of Lake Vostok. Regarding the nature of the magnetic anomaly, she declared that long before the Antarctic became icebound, the continent had been used as a landing site by extraterrestrials. The ever-benevolent aliens built what we would call an observatory, explained the channeler, equipped with a signalling device capable of broadcasting coded messages. More and more such observatories would be discovered in coming months, and Earth governments would try to seize them. Lady Kadjina added that the observatory contained vast crystals which put forth a certain kind of magnetism, which had been employed as a guidance system so that large spaceships could land at that location.

where do you think the script of many movies come from....

Hey, Rendevous with Rama is one my favorites. Glad to hear they're making a movie version.

I really liked that book, the sequels were unnecessary. The original story was a masterpiece and truer than most people probably think. The 'Black Knight' object of 1959/60 makes me think Clarke had plenty to work with and leave the story mysterious and suspenseful till the end!

Good clip there! :tu::yes:

This is really interesting from a purely scientific point of view, and it is no wonder they don't want to contaminate the lake waters, given that it may be the most isolated micro climate on the planet, it would be a gold mine for bioligists and natural historians.

As for the metal claims, I could find nothing on this that I would consider reliable sources.

I also wonder why the NSA an American federal department would have anything to do with this, when you consider that it lies below a Russian research station, on what is Australian Antarctic Territory.

"In early March 2001, a U.S. channeler known as Lady Kadjina replied to a series of questions regarding the mystery of Lake Vostok."

...at which point my credulity circuit breaker tripped and I ceased to read.

Lake Vostok does not freeze due to the saline content. The average water temperature is around −3 °C (27 °F); it remains liquid below the normal freezing point because of high pressure from the weight of the ice above it. Geothermal heat from the Earth's interior warms the bottom of the lake. The ice sheet itself insulates the lake from cold temperatures on the surface.

Vostok_drilling.jpg

The reason it is being approached with extreme caution is the possibility of contaminating it. Its water is very old, with a mean residence time in the order of one million years - as compared with six years for Lake Ontario, which is typical for lakes of that size. We may find microbial life forms as yet known to man. Who knows what one might find down there, but being under all that Ice puts it under pressure, you cannot just drill into it, it will spurt like a geyser, destroying any chance to study the life forms possibly still in the lake, or any other new thing we may find in the million year+ old water not to mention the damage that could be done by contamination. It is a one of opportunity, best get it right I guess.

I have been following the page for a couple of years. - This One as I find the exploration of Vostok amazing. Never heard of this metal mass. In fact, trying to verify it, all I seem to able to find is creationist sites? I think that might spell out the validity of the claim? The OP's link to Wiki is irrelevant to this claim, it is not in there.

Edited by psyche101

• 7 years later...
On 09/17/2009 at 1:43 PM, Dimly said:

I think they took it from John Carpenter's 'The Thing', which was along the same lines as 'At the Mountains of Madness'

My fiddly fact for the day: "The Thing" was the creation of John W. Campbell Jr., longtime editor of Astounding magazine and a huge influence on American science fiction. Carpenter directed the second film version of the story, originally published as "Who Goes There?"

Edited by PersonFromPorlock