Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Python "Nightmare"

Aere Thalia

Already squeezed by the invasion of the giant Burmese python, Florida now faces what one scientist calls one of the U.S. state's "worst nightmares."

Africa's largest snake—the ill-tempered, 20-foot-long (6.1-meter-long) African rock python—is colonizing the U.S. state, new discoveries suggest.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Abramelin

• Queen in the North

• Samuronin

• super

They are a nightmare people should be banded from keeping them in Florida along with monitor lizards. Corn Snakes are nice and when they get loose that don't do any harm. Why people feel they must keep a big snake is beyond me. You know the thing is going to out grow its cage and your house and maybe eat your children.

Why do people insist on getting these large dangerous animals and try to make pets out of them? Now they endanger the wildlife in Flo. as well as the people! :angry:

Arrghh.. I hate stupid people.. What ever happened to having a damn cat for a pet?

Arrghh.. I hate stupid people.. What ever happened to having a damn cat for a pet?

They tried that but the snake ate the cat...

I still don't see why everyone's getting so mad...

besides the fact the snakes will ruin the food chain, eat the neighbor's cats, and maybe the neighbors children! :w00t:

oh i see now :huh:

Oh boy... this is gonna get bad, I hope they won't kill the pythons..

WOW ! The locals get new thing to play with. I bet if government peoples do nothing soon they will hunt the snake down! :devil:

and on top of that they will say that they are doing this in there self defense :innocent:

African rock pythons... nastiest buggers I've ever come across. Including retics. :mellow:

Although it's obvious that Florida has a big problem, the article still manages to come across as slightly sensationalist, even for nat geo.

You should always research thoroughly before committing to any pet-- in this case that means realising that ARPs grow to be relatively giant, takes up a lot of room, will cheerfully bite the hand that feeds and can be nigh on impossible to control. Then perhaps they wouldn't get one.

But then this happens, and those people who get huge snakes without the means to properly care for one, or to protect their neighbours and area will end up ruining reptile keepings for the rest of the world. The powers that be will have a knee jerk reaction and want to put a blanket ban on all reptiles, such as with HR 669.

Bottom line: I don't know what the equivalent (or if there is an equiv at all) of a DWA licence is in the states, but you should have to have one to keep anything bigger than a BCI. And any monitor lizard bigger than a dwarf monitor.

I hope they one day set loose Siberian tigers in Alaska. That might be a way to save their species from being completely killed of by trigger happy Russian big-game hunters and impotent Chinese men (tiger bones are believed to enhance fertility...).

We humans invaded every nook and cranny of this planet, and messed with the local flora and fauna for many millennia (and yes, western and non-western civilizations both did, just in case you have any romantic ideas).

Although I wouldn't want to meet such a snake in the wild, it adds to the experience, eh? People again have to watch out where they walk, and not assume they are wandering around in a happy happy garden with only flowers, bees and chirping colorfull birds.

tongue.gif

I'm pretty sure they can take care of it. The human race is pretty good bringing any species to extinction, surely they can take care of this small snake problem :)

I'm pretty sure they can take care of it. The human race is pretty good bringing any species to extinction, surely they can take care of this small snake problem :)

I think for the extinction thing to work the species have to be living in a resource rich area. Is there oil in the everglades?

Ugh....Not another one...The county is already in dunes by financial crisis and now not another Monster

Thanks

B???

Hot dog! So, when are they going to have a hunting season on them. I am ready!!!

Bag one of them, and you'll be having snake-fries for a couple of weeks. Hoo Boy!