Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mutation, born with two sets of adult teeth

MountainGuardian

I was born with two sets of adult teeth in my jaws instead of one resulting obviously in eruption of two full sets of teeth to replace my baby teeth. As you can probably imagine I looked like a monster where my teeth were concerned. I have always been curious about how many people have this. Dentists have always told me that it isnt uncommon for people to have some extra teeth but they were blown away that I had two full sets, they all said that they had never heard of that happening before. I find it hard to believe if it is that common for people to have extra teeth that it would be unheard of "other than me" for someone to have an entire extra set.

I may be wrong but if it is that common for extra teeth even in small numbers wouldnt that be a sign that somewhere in the past at least some humans had two sets of teeth and it is slowly disapearing from our genetics? I have tried to find other incidences of two sets of teeth but I have been unable to find anything, anyone else heard of anything like this? I cant be the only one, that is statistically very improbable. I am just curious as to how common this is and where the acrheological proof of a past ancestor haveing two sets of teeth would be. I cant recall ever hearing of double teeth sets before, in humans anyway, does anyone else have info.

I suppose it is possible that two sets of teeth could be something relatively new and we are slowly changeing towards this maybe.

Thankfully none of my children show this trait so far, I am hopefull this will skip them, if you can imagine having had an entire set of teeth pulled and a set of wisdom teeth along with 7 yrs of orthodontics which damaged some of my remaining teeths roots causing many many root canals to be done and then more teeth pulling of the remaining as well as oral surgeries... to put it mildly I VERY MUCH DISLIKE DENTISTS. I really hope my children never have to deal with that, funny thing is my teeth never bothered me just everyone else. I was always fascinated by the fact that it was different I suppose it is part of the reason genetics fascinate me so much.

If any one knows about other examples of extra teeth I would love to read about it, and if anyone has any insight into the genetic end of this I would love to read about it.

Well thanks for your time all, I will chat with you later.

Mountain

Edited by MountainGuardian
  • Like 3

My youngest son was born with teeth. Called Natal Teeth. So he had three sets. Natal, baby and adult.

He's mostly normal. :)

Nibs

• Like 2

wouldnt that be a sign that somewhere in the past at least some humans had two sets of teeth and it is slowly disapearing from our genetics?

I don't think so. Mutations can happen outside of the historical evolutionary path.

My youngest son got 2 sets of adult teeth for some of his teeth. Meaning he lost a baby tooth, grew an adult tooth, lost that adult tooth (I freaked out) and then grew another new adult tooth in its place. Only for a few teeth (so far) though.

• Like 1

I don't think so. Mutations can happen outside of the historical evolutionary path.

My youngest son got 2 sets of adult teeth for some of his teeth. Meaning he lost a baby tooth, grew an adult tooth, lost that adult tooth (I freaked out) and then grew another new adult tooth in its place. Only for a few teeth (so far) though.

How did he lose his adult teeth? Did they pull them or did the get knocked out or something? My teeth were growing in as two rows of teeth one inside the other and they had to be pulled because the roots went into the jawbone like adult teeth.

Did both of his teeth have long roots or just the replacements?

• Like 2

How did he lose his adult teeth? Did they pull them or did the get knocked out or something? My teeth were growing in as two rows of teeth one inside the other and they had to be pulled because the roots went into the jawbone like adult teeth.

Did both of his teeth have long roots or just the replacements?

The first adult teeth got loose and were pushed out by the new teeth coming in. They had roots as well, smaller than what I remember normal teeth looking like, but not at all like baby teeth. He has very odd-shaped teeth as well; they look a bit like faceted rocks. It was very odd in there for a while.

This only happened with 3 teeth. His other ones just had 2 sets like normal.

Does anyone have pictures of what this condition looks like?

bohns3.jpg

JOralMaxillofacPathol_2009_13_1_41_44574_f1.jpg

NIbs

Thanks for the pictures Nibs. I don't see anything too shocking though.

One concern would be pain, from a mouth overcrowded with teeth.

• Like 1

Thanks for the pictures Nibs. I don't see anything too shocking though.

One concern would be pain, from a mouth overcrowded with teeth.

Well, these are pics of natal teeth. That is what my son had. They fell out and then he got his baby teeth. Most of those fell out (some knocked out, he was "active") then his adult teeth.

Sounds like the OP has two rows. Actual extra teeth.

Nibs

• Like 1

I had a few "extra" adult teeth come through, had to have 6 teeth removed in order to have my braces fitted. This included 4 large molars, having them removed was one of the most distubing things i have ever suffered and the resultant wounds bled almost none-stop for over 4 hours. (shiver)

I know somone who has extra front teeth, a pair of them just behind his main pair, they ahve never been a problem for him.

I had a few "extra" adult teeth come through, had to have 6 teeth removed in order to have my braces fitted. This included 4 large molars, having them removed was one of the most distubing things i have ever suffered and the resultant wounds bled almost none-stop for over 4 hours. (shiver)

I know somone who has extra front teeth, a pair of them just behind his main pair, they ahve never been a problem for him.

I had the same thing happen to me with my braces. 4 big molars in the back, extracted at the same time.

My face swelled up enough that strangers were looking at me funny.

It probably bled for 4 hours too. I almost fainted from the blood loss. Had to go to bed and curl up in a fetal position.

Yeah, I think I was traumatized by this.

I have 2 extra teeth on my bottom row around the molar and canine area. The dentist said they shouldn't be a problem unless they start to push up. He said it was realy up to me if I wanted them removed. I decided to leave them in there since they are not noticable at all and do not cause any pain. If they do happen to start to push up they would have to be removed.

• 1 year later...

The only people found with 2 rows before were an ancient race of people who dirived from the niphiliam, the origins of this race were stated in the bible and these niphiliam could well be living somewhere today unseen, strains of their genome could well show up now and then, [not saying it's the case here, unless your family has a history of excessive height?] They were completely wiped out after the flood, BUT, because human history still find they existed after the flood can only mean one thing, they are still at it, if you read how they come about you will know what i mean, it's in the bible.

Again they are refered to in the bible when the Isrealites fought with God and completelty destroyed them to take what is now a Israel, the land of milk and honey, but a much larger portion to what they have today.

Other references to them are linked to Greek mythology.

Man's own term's in history refer to them as:

men of renown.

men of old.

Etc Etc Etc

The evidence and history of these people are boundless.....Tribes, heights, armour, Kings are just too much to list here.

In any case it doesnt matter where were from, it's who we are today that counts!

I was born with two sets of adult teeth in my jaws instead of one resulting obviously in eruption of two full sets of teeth to replace my baby teeth. As you can probably imagine I looked like a monster where my teeth were concerned. I have always been curious about how many people have this. Dentists have always told me that it isnt uncommon for people to have some extra teeth but they were blown away that I had two full sets, they all said that they had never heard of that happening before. I find it hard to believe if it is that common for people to have extra teeth that it would be unheard of "other than me" for someone to have an entire extra set.

I may be wrong but if it is that common for extra teeth even in small numbers wouldnt that be a sign that somewhere in the past at least some humans had two sets of teeth and it is slowly disapearing from our genetics? I have tried to find other incidences of two sets of teeth but I have been unable to find anything, anyone else heard of anything like this? I cant be the only one, that is statistically very improbable. I am just curious as to how common this is and where the acrheological proof of a past ancestor haveing two sets of teeth would be. I cant recall ever hearing of double teeth sets before, in humans anyway, does anyone else have info.

I suppose it is possible that two sets of teeth could be something relatively new and we are slowly changeing towards this maybe.

Thankfully none of my children show this trait so far, I am hopefull this will skip them, if you can imagine having had an entire set of teeth pulled and a set of wisdom teeth along with 7 yrs of orthodontics which damaged some of my remaining teeths roots causing many many root canals to be done and then more teeth pulling of the remaining as well as oral surgeries... to put it mildly I VERY MUCH DISLIKE DENTISTS. I really hope my children never have to deal with that, funny thing is my teeth never bothered me just everyone else. I was always fascinated by the fact that it was different I suppose it is part of the reason genetics fascinate me so much.

If any one knows about other examples of extra teeth I would love to read about it, and if anyone has any insight into the genetic end of this I would love to read about it.

Mountain

Complete hyperdontia is rather rare. As someone else pointed out this wouldn't have been from a historic (evolutionary speaking) mutation, rather a "new" mutation that happened to either the sperm or egg that made you.

For such a scale, I would suspect that it wasn't a mutation in the actual process of tooth-bud development, but rather a mutation in the genes which coordinate cranio-facial development and it gave you another axis or plane that the underlying mesenchymal cells recognized as "grow tooth here".

Although that is only my guess and obviously being unable to examine your genome is limited to a suspicion.

Indeed, a fast look through PubMed shows that alterations in the developmental gene pathways such as Wnt and Sostdc1 or changes in the amount of expression of them play a role in determining the size, shape and number of teeth.

Its also important to note, that over expression of morphogenetic factors isn't necessarily limited to ones own genome (such as you having a "mutation") and can indeed be impacted by the womb environment. So it may not be mutation you had, but rather a teratogenic factor you were exposed in the womb during development (and that would probably where I would place my bet if I was a betting kind of guy).

Edited by Copasetic

• 3 years later...

I know this post is pretty old, but I came across it while researching the topic because I too had a full extra set of teeth. You are the only person I have come across that also has/had this. I never thought to ask how rare it was because I was pretty young once the problem was resolved via multiple MULTIPLE extractions. However, I have been trying to find info on this because it never occurred to me that if all of my other teeth had an extra set, could my wisdom teeth as well? I had my wisdom teeth removed a few years ago but now I am having swelling, pain, and tenderness in the area where they used to be. Did you have an extra set of wisdom teeth as well? I know that it is possible, but I was just trying to figure out if the hyperdontia (especially with full sets) increases the chances of extra wisdom teeth as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

From the other side of the coin, I was born without wisdom teeth (or tonsils)

Its common on my fathers side of the family. my grandmother had 2 full sets. I, my daughter and 1 grandchild had extra teeth. They were removed as they showed up.

• 2 years later...

I was born with an extra set of adult teeth.  I don't know if there are any photos, but when I was around first grade, I started to look like a vampire with "fangs" growing above my front teeth.  Much to my chagrin, I was not allowed to keep them.  I had more than one tooth pulling session.  The most pulled in one session was 18.  My mother, whose parents were first cousins, had several odd health problems, including losing all her teeth before she was 20.  Beyond guessing that my issue was related to that, I have no idea what caused my issue.

I was born with 3 nipples (no joke) at puberty they watched me to see what the 'extra one' would do...it did not develop (thankfully). Now it just looks like a small brown spot below my left breast. I'm told that back in ancient times I could have been burned as a witch for such a thing...glad I live nowadays!

• Like 1

On 9/22/2009 at 0:29 PM, MountainGuardian said:

Mountain

My paternal great grandmother lost her teeth in her 70s and grew in new teeth and said that others in the family regrew new teeth when one was lost. She lost hers like you do baby teeth.My mother's teeth were perfectly normal but my father never had wisdom teeth. I thought mine were normal until I had wisdom teeth pulled and I grew in two new ones.  My roots have many smaller canals with hooks in xrays. It was difficult doing my first implant and I had to have it removed because I was growing new teeth below the gumline pushing it out. New tooth pulling a new tooth popped out in the space and was like normal. The second one pulled grew in weaker, the dentist pulled it but nothing grew back. I asked about when the day came if I could just get dentures and get it over with since I couldn't keep implants in. I was told I would need bone surgery on roof of mouth first because dentures would not hold. I was born with a weird bone structure on the roof of my mouth, looks like I'm growing a tooth in the middle of  the ridges but it's all bone.   

I think the same growth genes work differently on your bones too, because when I had breaks, I healed very very fast.  The doctor said he never seen xrays so soon that it appeared as if there was never a break. 

On 9/22/2009 at 5:29 PM, MountainGuardian said:

Mountain

It isn't a mutation, its normal although uncommon in humans.

We don't fully understand human regenerative abilities or how to trigger it due to a lack of research. Maybe your jaw took a knock early in your development? Maybe you have higher levels of certain hormones? Maybe you even went on a fast? Who knows is the answer, but extra sets of human death do happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RabidMongoose said:

It isn't a mutation, its normal although uncommon in humans.

We don't fully understand human regenerative abilities or how to trigger it due to a lack of research. Maybe your jaw took a knock early in your development? Maybe you have higher levels of certain hormones? Maybe you even went on a fast? Who knows is the answer, but extra sets of human death do happen.

Since you mentioned uncommon in humans, I thought I'd mention it happens in dogs too. I had a poodle who had two full sets of adult teeth come in. The veterinarian removed one set when she was still a pup. She had very good teeth the rest of her life. 

3 hours ago, White Unicorn said:

Since you mentioned uncommon in humans, I thought I'd mention it happens in dogs too. I had a poodle who had two full sets of adult teeth come in. The veterinarian removed one set when she was still a pup. She had very good teeth the rest of her life. 

Uncommon but not unheard off.

Some people grow a third whole set but most just the odd third tooth.

• Like 1