Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mutation, born with two sets of adult teeth

MountainGuardian

19 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

Uncommon but not unheard off.

Some people grow a third whole set but most just the odd third tooth.

That was my great grandmother three sets of teeth during life! She had beautiful flawless white teeth in her late nineties when I asked her how she did it. She told me her adult teeth were pushed out and lost by a new set that came in when she was in her 70s. 

I get random ones popping in when I lose a tooth but a few weren't stable enough and prone to decay. I was so happy once when I had to have 3 teeth pulled before sinus surgery because their roots connected to the tumor in the sinus and maxillary areas. There I was 3 teeth missing and couldn't get implants or a usable bridge. But 6 months later my jawbone filled in and I grew 2 normal teeth but the other one in the middle was weak and decayed so the dentist took it out. It never grew back, so once the 3rd set comes in, I guess that's your last set if you have this genetic thing. My spouse teases me about being like a shark growing teeth back and having a ridged upper mouth like a reptile LOL

I had my tonsils removed when I was a kid but they grew back after a few years just like the teeth. I refused to have them removed when they got infected as an adult, because I heard infection goes to them before kidneys and if they're not there it goes to kidneys first. 

Edited by White Unicorn
  • Like 1

2 sets of teeth was mentioned of Giants in the bible....ha! Anyway see this image

Giants With Double-Rowed Teeth, Flattened Heads and Six Fingers
http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/2016/03/giants-with-double-rowed-teeth-flattened-heads-and-six-fingers-3320952.html

On 9/22/2009 at 9:29 AM, MountainGuardian said:

I was born with two sets of adult teeth in my jaws instead of one resulting obviously in eruption of two full sets of teeth to replace my baby teeth. As you can probably imagine I looked like a monster where my teeth were concerned. I have always been curious about how many people have this. Dentists have always told me that it isnt uncommon for people to have some extra teeth but they were blown away that I had two full sets, they all said that they had never heard of that happening before. I find it hard to believe if it is that common for people to have extra teeth that it would be unheard of "other than me" for someone to have an entire extra set.

I may be wrong but if it is that common for extra teeth even in small numbers wouldnt that be a sign that somewhere in the past at least some humans had two sets of teeth and it is slowly disapearing from our genetics? I have tried to find other incidences of two sets of teeth but I have been unable to find anything, anyone else heard of anything like this? I cant be the only one, that is statistically very improbable. I am just curious as to how common this is and where the acrheological proof of a past ancestor haveing two sets of teeth would be. I cant recall ever hearing of double teeth sets before, in humans anyway, does anyone else have info.

I suppose it is possible that two sets of teeth could be something relatively new and we are slowly changeing towards this maybe.

Thankfully none of my children show this trait so far, I am hopefull this will skip them, if you can imagine having had an entire set of teeth pulled and a set of wisdom teeth along with 7 yrs of orthodontics which damaged some of my remaining teeths roots causing many many root canals to be done and then more teeth pulling of the remaining as well as oral surgeries... to put it mildly I VERY MUCH DISLIKE DENTISTS. I really hope my children never have to deal with that, funny thing is my teeth never bothered me just everyone else. I was always fascinated by the fact that it was different I suppose it is part of the reason genetics fascinate me so much.

If any one knows about other examples of extra teeth I would love to read about it, and if anyone has any insight into the genetic end of this I would love to read about it.

Well thanks for your time all, I will chat with you later.

Mountain

You are the guy from my nightmares! I had an odd experience concerning a ufo and visiting other frequencies/dimensions via some kind of device. All of that was cool until i went to a place with these terrifying people with big mouths and when they opened them i saw two rows of teeth. I ended the visit after that it was the scariest place ive ever been. But no, never heard of this. Were they stacked up in your jaw or were both sets coming through your gums? I am really curious because when you say that all i can think of is these guys that scared me and thier two sets of teeth.

2 hours ago, White Unicorn said:

That was my great grandmother three sets of teeth during life! She had beautiful flawless white teeth in her late nineties when I asked her how she did it. She told me her adult teeth were pushed out and lost by a new set that came in when she was in her 70s. 

I get random ones popping in when I lose a tooth but a few weren't stable enough and prone to decay. I was so happy once when I had to have 3 teeth pulled before sinus surgery because their roots connected to the tumor in the sinus and maxillary areas. There I was 3 teeth missing and couldn't get implants or a usable bridge. But 6 months later my jawbone filled in and I grew 2 normal teeth but the other one in the middle was weak and decayed so the dentist took it out. It never grew back, so once the 3rd set comes in, I guess that's your last set if you have this genetic thing. My spouse teases me about being like a shark growing teeth back and having a ridged upper mouth like a reptile LOL

I had my tonsils removed when I was a kid but they grew back after a few years just like the teeth. I refused to have them removed when they got infected as an adult, because I heard infection goes to them before kidneys and if they're not there it goes to kidneys first. 

It might be an inflammation response of some other biological process that caused them to regrow.

We just don't know.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2016 at 1:50 PM, Lilly said:

I was born with 3 nipples (no joke) at puberty they watched me to see what the 'extra one' would do...it did not develop (thankfully). Now it just looks like a small brown spot below my left breast. I'm told that back in ancient times I could have been burned as a witch for such a thing...glad I live nowadays!

I think my cousin had one too but tjey removed it when she was a baby.

My son has an extra tooth fused with the other. The dentist said that someone in our family history just had extra teeth. I have been wondering where this comes from.

Edited by Nnicolette

Evolutionarily, most tetrapod species go through two-four sets of teeth throughout their lives, often many more. Mammals are unusual in that they have only two sets of teeth, and as fare as I know, no one knows why. I have had three upper left incisors.

• 1 year later...

when i was between 7 and 10 years old i had 14 teeth pulled. this was an almost complete second set of baby teeth. Slightly bigger than the first set of baby teeth, smaller than the third adult set. the childrens orthodontist had the whole thing choreographed so that my adult teeth were coming in shortly after each tooth pulled. he gave me so many xrays i must have been glowing from the radiation. i ended up with a reasonably straight set of teeth. no one else in my family has ever had such a variation. i had no idea growing up that it was odd. funny, i have good memories of quality time spent with my dad coming and going to the dentist.

• Like 1

I am quite envious of the ability to grow a third set of dentition.  Now almost 70, like White Unicorns grandmother, I would just love a new set of teeth to start appearing.  I inherited poor tooth quality, plus the brutal administrations of 1950/60s dentists hasn’t helped.

• Like 1