Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Rake...

NightTrainMurderer

Does the rake actually exist?

I don't mean in the physical world, I mean amongst urban legends. The only accounts I've been able to come across is in a "creepypasta". The idea of a cannibalistic psuedo-human tickles me in a way I can't describe. Help a brother out.

we cant read your mind buddy explain what the hell it is that you are talking about

• Thanks 1

OK. Sorry, didn't realize how vague the post was when I made it.

There is a "creature" referred to as "the Rake", he is described as being a thin, pale human/oid.

Here is a story posted as a "creepypasta". Something about this seems so familiar though. Which is why I am asking if it actually exists as an urban legend.

Three years ago, I had just returned from a trip from Niagara Falls with my family for the 4th of July. We were all very exhausted after a long day of driving, so my husband and I put the kids right to bed and called it a night.

At about 4am, I woke up thinking my husband had gotten up to use the restroom. I used the moment to steal back the sheets, only to wake him in the process. I appologized and told him I though he got out of bed. When he turned to face me, he gasped and pulled his feet up from the end of the bed so quickly his knee almost knocked me out of the bed. He then grabbed me and said nothing.

After adjusting to the dark for a half second, I was able to see what caused the strange reaction. At the foot of the bed, sitting and facing away from us, there was what appeared to be a naked man, or a large hairless dog of some sort. It’s body position was disturbing and unnatural, as if it had been hit by a car or something. For some reason, I was not instantly frightened by it, but more concerned as to its condition. At this point I was somewhat under the assumption that we were supposed to help him.

My husband was peering over his arm and knee, tucked into the fetal position, occasionally glancing at me before returning to the creature.

In a flurry of motion, the creature scrambled around the side of the bed, and then crawled quickly in a flailing sort of motion right along the bed until it was less than a foot from my husband’s face. The creature was completely silent for about 30 seconds (or probably closer to 5, it just seemed like a while) just looking at my husband. The creature then placed its hand on his knee and ran into the hallway, leading to the kids’ rooms.

I screamed and ran for the lightswitch, planning to stop him before he hurt my children. When I got to the hallway, the light from the bedroom was enough to see it crouching and hunched over about 20 feet away. He turned around and looked directly at me, covered in blood. I flipped the switch on the wall and saw my daughter Clara.

The creature ran down the stairs while my husband and I rushed to help our daughter. She was very badly injured and spoke only once more in her short life. She said “he is the Rake”.

My husband drove his car into a lake that night, while rushing our daughter to the hospital. He did not survive.

Being a small town, news got around pretty quickly. The police were helpful at first, and the local newspaper took a lot of interest as well. However, the story was never published and the local television news never followed up either.

For several months, my son Justin and I stayed in a hotel near my parent’s house. After we decided to return home, I began looking for answers myself. I eventually located a man in the next town over who had a similar story. We got in contact and began talking about our experiences. He knew of two other people in New York who had seen the creature we now referred to as the Rake.

It took the four of us about two solid years of hunting on the internet and writing letters to come up with a small collection of what we believe to be accounts of the Rake. None of them gave any details, history or follow up. One journal had an entry involving the creature in its first 3 pages, and never mentioned it again. A ship’s log explained nothing of the encounter, saying only that they were told to leave by the Rake. That was the last entry in the log.

There were, however, many instances where the creature’s visit was one of a series of visits with the same person. Multiple people also mentioned being spoken to, my daughter included. This led us to wonder if the Rake had visited any of us before our last encounter.

I set up a digital recorder near my bed and left it running all night, every night, for two weeks. I would tediously scan through the sounds of me rolling around in my bed each day when I woke up. By the end of the second week, I was quite used to the occasional sound of sleep while blurring through the recording at 8 times the normal speed. (This still took almost an hour every day)

On the first day of the third week, I thought I heard something different. What I found was a shrill voice. It was the Rake. I can’t listen to it long enough to even begin to transcribe it. I haven’t let anyone listen to it yet. All I know is that I’ve heard it before, and I now believe that it spoke when it was sitting in front of my husband. I don’t remember hearing anything at the time, but for some reason, the voice on the recorder immediately brings me back to that moment.

The thoughts that must have gone through my daughter’s head make me very upset.

I have not seen the Rake since he ruined my life, but I know that he has been in my room while I slept. I know and fear that one night I’ll wake up to see him staring at me.

OK. Sorry, didn't realize how vague the post was when I made it.

There is a "creature" referred to as "the Rake", he is described as being a thin, pale human/oid.

Here is a story posted as a "creepypasta". Something about this seems so familiar though. Which is why I am asking if it actually exists as an urban legend.

Wow - that's one creepy story. I've never heard of such a thing.

As real as the Slender Man.

Haha Slender Man, I'm loving the MH ARG (if it is one).

A very creepy story but still very fake.

I know it's fake. My question wasn't "OMG iz this realz????" I asked if anyone knew if it existed as an Urban Legend prior to the creepypasta that had been posted.

Haha, 'He is the rake', hilarious.

Wow, that is one hell of an idea for a amatuer horror video. I wonder if anyone has copyrighted this story...

Good story. Nice and creepy. This would make a good movie if; you keep it away from Sci-Fi pictures. Some of their stuff is very bad. I have never heard of this story as an Urban Legend though, so I'm not going to be able to add anything. Have you tried a Web search?

Good Journey.

Kyle Rajasthan

ya that story did give me the chills but its still fake (hey jonathan can i be the naked guy that runs down the street in your movie............wait.....you dont have that in your movie....well im going to do it anyway :w00t::lol: )

Edited by catutie

ya that story did give me the chills but its still fake (hey jonathan can i be the naked guy that runs down the street in your movie............wait.....you dont have that in your movie....well im going to do it anyway :w00t::lol: )

Yes, yes... again we all know it's fake just like 98.5% of urban legends out there. My question wasn't is the rake real as in an actual physical being. My question was does anyone know if the rake existed as an urban legend before the creepy pasta I quoted was posted.

I wish people would read posts before just answering what they thought the question was.

• Like 2

yes the rake is a real myth. my mom tells me we have one but i can never find it when the leaves fall. :) ( yeah im a jack a**!)

yes the rake is a real myth. my mom tells me we have one but i can never find it when the leaves fall. :) ( yeah im a jack a**!)

Hahahaha :lol::rofl:

i dont think the rake myth was around before this happened. she just made it all up. a myth has to start somewhere and it started there

• 4 weeks later...

i think this sounds like somone trying to extend the slender man ARG, very similar behaviour, just a little more anamalistic

i think this sounds like somone trying to extend the slender man ARG, very similar behaviour, just a little more anamalistic

I originally thought that as well, the Rake is actually mentioned in the SA forum where they created MR. Slim, but these posts about the Rake go back a few years where as SM is only a few months old.