Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rune stone found by two boys in creek

jakesteele

This is inspired by the ancient runes thread. I remember 10-15 years ago hearing about some kids back east who found a fairly large stone with strange carvings on it in the local creek. I was wondering if anybody has heard about this?

here are a few interesting links to Runestones in the Americas

Link-1

Link-2

and check out

Gloria Farley's Website on the Runestones and what not

I am posting what i find is relevant and interesting. not that i stand guarantor to the facts stated. its up to you to believe or not.

Edited by The Spartan

here are a few interesting links to Runestones in the Americas

Link-1

Link-2

and check out

Gloria Farley's Website on the Runestones and what not

I am posting what i find is relevant and interesting. not that i stand guarantor to the facts stated. its up to you to believe or not.

You know, there is one thing that really makes me skeptic about all those rune stones: At the only confirmed Viking settlement in Greenland Newfoundland not a single (authentic) stone was found... or could it be that it was not really a settlement but a bunch of Vikings got banished there for being illiterate?

ED: Garble

Edited by questionmark
  • Like 1

You know, there is one thing that really makes me skeptic about all those rune stones: At the only confirmed Viking settlement in Greenland Newfoundland not a single (authentic) stone was found... or could it be that it was not really a settlement but a bunch of Vikings got banished there for being illiterate?

Judging from the quality of most of these finds, all of the (hundreds) of Vikings roaming North America had none too firm a grip on their language.

Maybe it was UM 0.1?

--Jaylemurph

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

The stone was found in Tum water creek Washington , according to the show Unsolved mysteries. Found by two young boys who later showed the father and mother. And life changing events started to happen for them, where they opened a retail store and business.

Edited by Angel444

Can't be any stranger than the bag of Roman coins found in the US. I can't remember exactly where that was, though.

The stone was found in Tum water creek Washington , according to the show Unsolved mysteries. Found by two young boys who later showed the father and mother. And life changing events started to happen for them, where they opened a retail store and business.

...so they have no reason whatsoever to lie or otherwise embroider the truth, then, if they're running a related business. The same way bees have no interesy in nectar-producing blooms.

--Jaylemurph

I grew up wading in creeks and stacking stones into dams and whatnot. I saw stones that could have looked like they had "runes" on them all the time. Stones fracture and get worn, and sometimes there's going to be lines on the stone. I'd want to look at this Tumwater stone before saying it appears real or not. Unfortunately google has failed me in this search so far.

You k there is one thing that really makes me sknow,eptic about all those rune stones: At the only confirmed Viking settlement in Greenland Newfoundland not a single (authentic) stone was found... or could it be that it was not really a settlement but a bunch of Vikings got banished there for being illiterate?

There is a second one confirmed by Park Canada in Nunavut. It's a trading outpost which was used over many centuries to trade with the Dosets, then the Inuits.

http://www.historymu.../str0101e.shtml

There is also three other potential sites they haven't re-investigated yet. On the map below, the new confirmed site is the red dot closest to the Hudson Bay, on the South shore of Baffin Island.

stcor01b.jpg

No rune stone have been found in either of the four sites, nor anywhere in the North of Canada.

Edit: there was a thread for this discovery in 2012:

http://www.unexplain...&hl=viking&st=0

Edited by Gingitsune