Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Moon Myths: The Truth About Lunar Effects on

Still Waters

The moon holds a mystical place in the history of human culture, so it's no wonder that many myths — from werewolves to induced lunacy to epileptic seizures — have built up regarding its supposed effects on us.

"It must be a full moon," is a phrase heard whenever crazy things happen and is said by researchers to be muttered commonly by late-night cops, psychiatry staff and emergency room personnel.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moon Minion

• Rosewin

• camochick

• TRUEYOUTRUEME

Damn it, my cover is blown. Now I can't blame the full moon for my psychotic fits <_<

But interesting article I do remember reading something similar a while back. I do know certain magical practices were used to coincide with a full moon. But other than that there isn't even any links in folklore to support that even werewolves were connected to a full moon, it seems Hollywood added that beauty in. Similar story with all the lunacy business I think.

A few persons in law enforcement have told me things get out of hand on full moon nights, weird things happen, the way they talked it made it seem that it was not about the frequency of incidents but rather the bizarreness of those incidents.

This article specifically mentions police officers but I wonder if the statisticians went beyond just looking at how many incidents happened those nights compared to others and actually gathered date regarding the oddity factor for each night.

Edited by Rosewin

Nothing to see here folks.

The Moon is just a massive hunk of dead rock floating above the Earth.

It has no effect on your Life at All.

Bomb away!!!!

Carry On!

Nothing to see here folks.

The Moon is just a massive hunk of dead rock floating above the Earth.

It has no effect on your Life at All.

Bomb away!!!!

Carry On!

actually, the moon affects eb & flow..and therefore..affects earth in more ways then you could imagine.

saying it has no effect on Life at all is complete bs and disproven by science, why would you say something so ignorant ?

I hope this doesn't come as any great surprise, but psychiatrists, psychologists, psych nurses and emergency room medical staff are precisely the people whose opinions I'd solicit in the matter of whether "Lunar madness" exists or not. They all have scientific training and are able to make objective reports.

Who has the better idea of how whizzing bullets and artillery explosions sound - the combat veteran or the military historian who's never been near an active battlefield?

I hope this doesn't come as any great surprise, but psychiatrists, psychologists, psych nurses and emergency room medical staff are precisely the people whose opinions I'd solicit in the matter of whether "Lunar madness" exists or not. They all have scientific training and are able to make objective reports.

Who has the better idea of how whizzing bullets and artillery explosions sound - the combat veteran or the military historian who's never been near an active battlefield?

*raises hand*

The Moon does have an effect on us, but indirectly. We've been taught to believe that the moon affects us, so our minds make it so, whether it's true or not. If a psycho who thinks he's a werewolf murders on every Full Moon, it does affect him; just not the way his psychosis makes him think it does. His very mind believes that it affects him, so in an indirect way, it does.