Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Schoolboy pianist, 10, hailed as new Mozart

Still Waters

A British schoolboy has been hailed as the new Mozart, despite having had piano lessons for just four months.

Shane Thomas, 10, practises for only four hours a week but already plays to a high standard and composes classical music scores in his head.

He first sat down at a piano at the age of seven and could play almost instantly by ear.Since then he has had formal lessons for just four months.

Shane said: "I told Dad when I was three that I could play but nobody took me seriously. When I'm at school I can listen to the teacher and do my work while composing in my head.

"I remember the melodies, then when I get home I play them on the piano and Dad records them.

"I love playing piano. When I grow up I want to be a piano composer.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Good luck to him :yes:

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admiral Danger

• Still Waters

• schizoidwoman

• susieice

Good luck to him :yes:

Definitely.

I really like these stories where young kids exhibit the gifts they were born with. It restores my faith in the next generation. Best of luck to him.

ooookkk!! I wouldnt call this bizarre news.....maybe if he was like 5yrs ..then I would think WOW...but 10...nahh there are many like him i'm sure ....Mozart was just 5 when he began composing little pieces

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Meh. He'll just be treated as some flash-in-the-pan kid "genious", have his 15, then get bumped out of the way for a kid singing some Biance number at the top of their lungs. We'll never have another Mozart. There's no room for serious musicians these days in the "music" industry.

However, all the luck. We need real musicianship again.

There's a kid that's always around this local park of mine with his brother (or dad... but he looks to young) and he plays guitar extremely well, and he's probably no older than 6 or 7... he jsut sits and jams... always amazes me!

Some of these responses puzzle me. To play and compose on such a level at 10 is amazing and no, there are not lots of kids like this. This is not just playing the piano. Millions of people can play piano. It's what these few put into the notes that separates them from the crowd. There are intangibles with true masters, intangibles that ordinary players cannot match given a lifetime.

Funky Poacher, this is the reason true masters are not taken seriously, because people don't hear the unmatched artistry, they just hear a piano. I'm not even close to knowing mastery in many artistic endeavors but I do know they exist. Far be it from me to assume such skill is not limited to a gifted few.

there still is, its just in the genres that isnt as popular as pop music and R&B etc.

There's no room for serious musicians these days in the "music" industry.

Eh, obviously you are not familiar with the classical community? A large number of adults AND kids are into classical music, and it is certainly a thriving community across the entire world... Not quite sure where you are coming from here, but you are very wrong if you think that modern music consists solely of Kanye West.

You are extremely misinformed about the state of music if you think classicalism is dead.

<br />Eh, obviously you are not familiar with the classical community? A large number of adults AND kids are into classical music, and it is certainly a thriving community across the entire world... Not quite sure where you are coming from here, but you are very wrong if you think that modern music consists solely of Kanye West. <br />You are extremely misinformed about the state of music if you think classicalism is dead.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Indeed.

And in fact there are an estimated 30 million children in China studying the piano as a classical instrument.

He's talented...just...NOT "Mozart". From the clip shown it's nothing amazing. It's good, but I've heard better from asian 5 year olds. What's all the fuss about?

Kinda cocky, too. I don't like it when child prodigies get cocky about a random skill seem to have been born with, and not over something that takes serious practice and perseverance.

He's talented...just...NOT "Mozart". From the clip shown it's nothing amazing. It's good, but I've heard better from asian 5 year olds. What's all the fuss about?

Kinda cocky, too. I don't like it when child prodigies get cocky about a random skill seem to have been born with, and not over something that takes serious practice and perseverance.

I think you will find most of those "Asian 5 year olds" have been taking lessons almost from the time they were able to reach the keys of a piano. As both his teacher and others said his talent is totally natural and just needs the correct guidance. I am a musician and something of a music history buff and if I remember correctly this was just the type of talent Mozart himself had. He was able to hear something and immediately either play it perfectly or write it down if he was not near a piano. In fact this nearly got him and his father in serious trouble when they were at the Vatican because young Wolfgang heard a piece of music for which the copies were very closely guarded, went back to their lodgings where he immediately wrote the complete score down. Someone heard him playing it and immediately sent word to the Vatican that the Mozarts had somehow stolen a copy of the music. It took a great deal to finally convince the Vatican that Wolfgang really had written down the score just from his memory.

Personally I hope we do have a new 'Mozart' because most of modern music is based on discoveries and techniques first developed by Wolfgang Amadeus nearly 250 years ago. I just hope he lives many years longer than Mozart did! A person with the talent of Mozart with access to what can be done with modern electronics is an absolutely unbelievable combination.

He knew he could play when he was 3, its as if he was a pianist in a past life.

Imagine that past life being Mozart. That'd be pretty amusing.

I think the most impressive thing about this - that some people seem to be overlooking - is that he is composing complete classical songs in his head and then writing them down. Plus, he seems to be a natural, instead of one of these kids whose parents tie them to a piano at 2 years old and force to practice for five hours per day.

Hmm...That is purely inborn talent...i also read about the worlds youngest black belt

Thanks

B???

Hmm...That is purely inborn talent...i also read about the worlds youngest black belt

Thanks

B???

kids these days :innocent: