Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Skeptics challenge conspiracy theorists

UM-Bot

Conspiracy theories ranging from the Apollo Moon landings being hoaxed to 9/11 being an inside job have become increasingly prevelant on the internet in recent years, now a new movement is set to challenge them.

"Conspiracy theorists have used the internet to co-ordinate increasingly slick attacks on the accepted versions of events, but now a group of scientists and sceptics has decided it's time to organise and fight back."

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: BBC News

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chris_com28

• aquatus1

• Picturesque Orion

• karl 12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

About time already.....let's bring down this nonesense once and for all.

About time already.....let's bring down this nonesense once and for all.

Yeah, really. The phrase "shut up, crackpot" is protected by the first amendment too.

I am a confirmed sceptic and a firm believer in Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice, that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Nick, Sheffield, UK

:lol:

They have decided to waste their time only...they don't use it for any good purpose because conspiracy theorists are hard to beat...But sure its worth trying but they keep in mind that they cannot change the world singlehandedly

Thanks

B???

Most CB are plain cooky and very gullable. As such most Conspiracies are an easy target for the skeptics.

What about the conspiracies that have been proven to be true. As such if you approach the field of Conspiracies with the same zeal as I see applied by skeptics to anomllous scientific phenomina, then they are not going to be able to believe it when they prove themselves wrong. Unfortunately whatever we set out to prove we generally succeed in proving to some degree.

In the light of this I think their effort is worthwhile but ultimately of questionable value.

Br Cornelius

So now there is a scientific conspiracy against conspiracies. This won't help, I imagine this will just lead to more conspiracy theories.

Edited by GlobalScienceSceptic

When you've seen a few real obvious and astounding UFOs, then whack jobs like Appollo Astronaught Edgar Mitchel and Retired CIA Pilot John Lear (also son of Billionare William Lear of Lear Jet Fame) start to make a lot more sense. Funny that those guys side with the conspiracy theorists on 4 out of 5 of the issues mentioned in the article (to some degree).

And its also funny how people that have never seen any UFOs spend so much time posting on paranormal forums with cynical remarks about things they really have no experience with at all.

Are you really interested in learning the truth or do you serve another agenda? Do you even know whose agenda your serving? I can assure you that silencing the theorists is not part of an agenda that is in your best interest as a human being on this planet.

Edited by Psycho78

When you've seen a few real obvious and astounding UFOs, then whack jobs like Appollo Astronaught Edgar Mitchel and Retired CIA Pilot John Lear (also son of Billionare William Lear of Lear Jet Fame) start to make a lot more sense. Funny that those guys side with the conspiracy theorists on 4 out of 5 of the issues mentioned in the article (to some degree).

And its also funny how people that have never seen any UFOs spend so much time posting on paranormal forums with cynical remarks about things they really have no experience with at all.

Are you really interested in learning the truth or do you serve another agenda? Do you even know whose agenda your serving? I can assure you that silencing the theorists is not part of an agenda that is in your best interest as a human being on this planet.

UFOs aren't really a conspiracy. We pretty much know UFOs exist(In both the literal definition of "UFO" and the "Something odd" context), the problem is that we don't know WHAT they are. What's is a conspiracy though, is that these UFOs are of ET origin. We don't even know what they are much less their origin.

Edited by ShaunZero

There's nothing wrong with conspiracy theories per se. Challenging accepted beliefs and versions of events is a valid thing to do.

The tricky bit is being able to remain objective whilst examining the evidence.

James Randi is a skeptic whose motto is "Don't bother me with the facts, my mind is already made up". Since this new organization is an off-shoot of his I have very serious doubts about its veracity. Randi and his ilk absolutely do not want to have their minds changed by any kind of facts, if you don't believe it look at the number of times Randi has changed the rules when it looked as if someone was just about to take $1,000,000 of his money from him.

A true skeptic is a person to be admired because it is their questioning of subject/idea which enables new things to be learned and new discoveries to be made. Maybe I'm a conspiracy theorist at heart but my personal feeling is the only thing this organization is going to do is to try and block any and all attempts to learn the truth about anything. It is one thing for a real skeptic to debunk a theory with facts that will stand up to close examination, it is quite another thing for a person to call him/herself a "skeptic" when what they really are is a person with a very narrow world-view who is afraid they might actually have to learn something new.

Then again what a conspiracy theorist would say is, 'the goal of an organization such as this is to keep the true facts hidden so as not to upset someone's apple-cart'. There really is very little difference of the "true believers" on one side of the equation and the "skeptics" on the other side because neither one of them is willing to be convinced by real facts.

If there wasn't so many conspiracies going on, there wouldn't be so many conspiracy theorists. If it wasn't for us questioning the govt every move, they would be even more out of hand. We're protecting you poor stupid sheeple. KennyB

I"m not going to pretend like I didn't believe in all these theories at one time, but i've seen how rediculous it is and I buy none of it anymore.

There's nothing wrong with conspiracy theories per se. Challenging accepted beliefs and versions of events is a valid thing to do.

Well stated. CTs and skeptics both need to remain objective when discussing any conspiracy. It works both ways.

Tiggs, on 08 October 2009 - 07:13 PM, said:There's nothing wrong with conspiracy theories per se. Challenging accepted beliefs and versions of events is a valid thing to do.

I totally agree with Tiggs here, but to be realistic, "remaining objective" will never happen, especially when it's not the media's job description to be "objective". The mainstream media's job is not to discuss or "report" the facts, but to simply report what they're told by they're high-level bosses. These days, the Fox-News, CNN, MSNBCs(with the exception of Keith Olberman) can't really be considered true news agencies because they don't report news! There have been media-blackouts, white-washes,smear campaigns and on going by the media to directly ridicule or discredit anyone who critically questions the government's official story of things. I mean, by default average people don't distrust they're government, but once the government start covering-up things which may prove to be contrary to they're story and out right lyings, that's where the distrust begins, and rightfully so. You want a true investigation of anything in this country, let the people be the forerunners of it. The government can't be trusted; investigation of the government by the government will always end with the same result, they're final conclusions will be chosen based on corporate interest. Remember those words......corporate interest. The decisions made in Washington aren't made with the public interest in mind; not at all, but with the interest of corporations. Since the beginning of this countries inception, we've been fighting to keep the central banks from taking over this country, and now they've did it; they own the media and the U.S. government itself. It's too late to talk about a damn "investigation".....; Wallstreet has taken over mainstreet.

The high office of the President has been used to foment a plot to destroy the American's freedom and before I leave office, I must inform the citizen of this plight.- John F. Kennedy

14kv69i.jpg

If there wasn't so many conspiracies going on, there wouldn't be so many conspiracy theorists. If it wasn't for us questioning the govt every move, they would be even more out of hand. We're protecting you poor stupid sheeple. KennyB

People always need to be critical of authority. Though when people start analysing hours of footage for "evil" hand mudras or Masonic grips I just can't take them seriously any more. Though I do admit it is fun reading, though as the skeptic I try to be I just view it as unimportant and actually very inacuate.

Though I'd be curious if they were to do a proper critique of the new world order.

I have to recogonise your well put point. You've hit the nail.

We "moon landings defenders" are too itchy sometimes with the subjects, but lives were risked, lost and almost lost so that is understandable. And since the conspiracy has escalated greatly during the years, this horrible "itch" has escalated proportionally and so we scratch with more intensity.

Edited by Alex01

Well stated. CTs and skeptics both need to remain objective when discussing any conspiracy.

Indeedy - heres a handy comparative list about scepticism and cynicism:

Open minded skeptics:

*Has honest doubt and questions all beliefs, including their own

*Seeks the truth, considers it the highest aim

*Seeks open inquiry and investigation of both sides

*Is nonjudgmental, doesn't jump to rash conclusions

*Weighs evidence on all sides

*Asks exploratory questions about new things to try to understand them

*Acknowledges valid convincing evidence

*Possesses solid sharp common sense

*Is able to adapt and update their paradigms to new evidence

Close minded cynics:

*Automatically dismisses and denies all claims that contradict materialism and orthodoxy

*Is not interested in truth, evidence or facts, only in defending orthodoxy and the status quo

*Ignores anything that doesn't fit their a priori beliefs and assumptions

*Scoffs and ridicules their targets instead of providing solid arguments and giving honest consideration

*Has a know-it-all-attitude, never asks questions about things they don't understand, never admits that they don't know something

*Insists that everything unknown and unexplained must have a conventional materialistic explanation

*Is judgmental and quick to draw conclusions about things they know little or nothing about

*Uses semantics and word games with their own rules of logic to try to win arguments

*Is unable to adapt and update their paradigms to new evidence

Cheers.

UFOs aren't really a conspiracy. We pretty much know UFOs exist(In both the literal definition of "UFO" and the "Something odd" context), the problem is that we don't know WHAT they are. What's is a conspiracy though, is that these UFOs are of ET origin. We don't even know what they are much less their origin.

Well it's strange that the government hold back information which is wrong in my opinion, what are they hiding? They don't tell us everything and that is obvious. You're a fool if you think everything they tell you is the truth.

On the other hand they might not know themselves what these things are which is why they lie about them.

Best to be open minded from both sides. That way it is easier to find the truth.

Well stated. CTs and skeptics both need to remain objective when discussing any conspiracy. It works both ways.

Though who can you trust to be objective. Your dealing with humans and we in general have a hard time detaching our emotions from our study. Everyone has a bias, and if they don't admit it then they're either lying or simply not human. I'd try to visit "skeptic" websites about various "conspiracy theories", but the way they categorise people is absurd. Every time I read "PCT" I just don't want to read any more. Their material seems more aimed at the "choir". I'd like if they'd just say it as it is without all the insults and ad hominon (sp?), but sadly this doesn't happen.

And don't think it's only with "skeptics". Alex Jones can be just as annoying. It wasn't too long ago I read a rediculous article by his editorial team about Satanic worship in the White House. So Obama accepts gifts from "pagans" and so he gets classed as a pagan. This was also lumped together with the rumour Cherie Blair was also an occultist because she gave her toenail clippings for someone to dowse. The absurd associations people are willing to connect happen on both sides. Now I actually hate the words "conspiracy theorist" and "skeptic". They're meaningless words to me both are as just as bad as each other.

Sorry if I'm rambling, but I just had to rant a little.

Best wishes

Chris

Though who can you trust to be objective. Your dealing with humans and we in general have a hard time detaching our emotions from our study. Everyone has a bias, and if they don't admit it then they're either lying or simply not human. I'd try to visit "skeptic" websites about various "conspiracy theories", but the way they categorise people is absurd. Every time I read "PCT" I just don't want to read any more. Their material seems more aimed at the "choir". I'd like if they'd just say it as it is without all the insults and ad hominon (sp?), but sadly this doesn't happen.

And don't think it's only with "skeptics". Alex Jones can be just as annoying. It wasn't too long ago I read a rediculous article by his editorial team about Satanic worship in the White House. So Obama accepts gifts from "pagans" and so he gets classed as a pagan. This was also lumped together with the rumour Cherie Blair was also an occultist because she gave her toenail clippings for someone to dowse. The absurd associations people are willing to connect happen on both sides. Now I actually hate the words "conspiracy theorist" and "skeptic". They're meaningless words to me both are as just as bad as each other.

Sorry if I'm rambling, but I just had to rant a little.

Best wishes

Chris

Unfortunately it throws it all back on yourself, and thats a tough place to be. Everyone wants to be a Sheepie whether its a CT sheepie or a Skeptical sheepie. Unfortunately that is just the way we are programmed by our genetics (look at the popularity of the semi fictitious character Jesus). The hardest place to be is out on your own having to decide on the validity of every single thing that anyone ever told you. To be a trully enquiring mind is never to take anything that anyone says as Gospel. We are the centers of our own universes and thats a great responsibility we have to ourselves.

Its tough out here floating in a universe of uncertainty - but its the only honest place to be.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

Don't do me any favors......you poor, stupid Paranoid...... :no:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

post-26074-12591124224_thumb.jpgif the government wasn't acting like the egyptians from the days of moses, then the secrets of their squanderings would have been out by now, but since they are the bloodlines of egypt that runs america they want to keep everything secret. Buried in the ground so no one can see the truth of it's true nature.

The government is a brood of vipers a serpent race from the nibiru whom the Father has been trying to remove for a long time due to their uncontrollable desire for power and dominance and luxery. They are the reptillians and greys that have tried to squander this planet since the beginning of it all. Just ask adam and eve. Because they decided not to listen to God, and instead listen to the serpent, they went back to the dust from which they were formed.

Their innocense was stolen, more like squandered because they were treasure. If ye were wise you would stand up against your oppressors but not forsake your Father in Heaven anymore.

Let go of the dollar bill, let go of that technology that only teaches more destruction and corruption only to distract you from the living God that does see and hear. I love you all, may you remember why the old technologies were destroyed.

For now here is a picture of a fallen angel waiting for the day of judgement.

Edited by nothingliz