Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UFO Sightings & Nuclear Sites

karl 12

"UFO's were habitually reported from areas around "technically interesting" places like our atomic energy installations, harbors, and critical manufacturing areas."

Captain Edward Ruppelt - Project chief of Air Force investigations into UFO phenomena

There are a great many interesting (and credible) reports of UFOs being witnessed over Nuclear/Atomic facilites and installations.

After reading all the incidents at the links listed below -there certainly seems to be a disproportionate number anyway.

Here are some interesting comments on the subject made by

Donald A Johnson (PhD) - if anyone knows of any other incidents please feel free to post. :)

On numerous occasions, UFOs have been reported over nuclear power plants as well as nuclear research facilities and nuclear weapons storage bunkers at military bases.

A good percentage of these reports occurred at highly restricted government research and production facilities, such as Los Alamos, Oak Ridge, Hanford AEC, and Savannah River AEC. Highly trained government scientists and military personnel, who had been granted top-secret military clearances, made many of these reports.

In a well-documented series of incidents in early November 1975, nocturnal lights and unidentified “mystery helicopters” visited a wide spectrum of American military bases and missile sites across the northern tier of this country. Between October 27 and November 10, reports of UFOs over nuclear weapons storage sites were repeatedly made at Loring AFB in northern Maine, Wurtsmith AFB in Michigan, Grand Forks and Minot Air Force Bases in North Dakota, and Malmstrom AFB in Montana. F-106 interceptors were scrambled out of Malmstrom AFB near Great Falls, Montana in response to multiple reports of UFO visits to nearby missile sites near Moore, Harlowton, Lewistown, and several missile sites around Malmstrom AFB.

http://www.nicap.org/ncp/ncp-johnson1.htm

Links:

Intelligence Summary produced for the Nuclear Connection Project:

http://www.nicap.org/ncp/ncp-ufois.htm

Missile Base Incidents:

http://www.nicap.org/babylon/missiles.htm

193 UFO Sightings in or about Nuclear Sites:

http://www.nicap.org/ncp/ncp-hatch1.htm

UFO sightings at ICBM sites and Nuclear Weapons Storage Areas:

http://www.nicap.org/babylon/missile_incidents.htm

Cheers.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• karl 12

• bmk1245

• skyeagle409

• Robbo

Interesting statements regarding UFOs,Nuclear facilities and Military installations:

"The UFO incident happened on the morning of March 16, 1967. on duty at Oscar Flight as part of the 490th strategic missile squad and there are five launch control facilities assigned to that particular squadron . and I received a call from my topside security guard and he said that he and some of the guards had been observing some strange lights flying around the site around the launch control facility. I said, you mean UFO? He said, well, he didn’t know what they were but they were lights and were flying around. They were not airplanes; They were not helicopters. They weren’t making any noise [A little later] our missiles started shutting down one by one. By shutting down, I mean they went into a "no-go" condition meaning they could not be launched. These weapons were Minuteman One missiles and were of course nuclear-tipped warhead missiles ... this incident was of extreme concern to SAC headquarters because they couldn’t explain it."

Captain Robert Salas: USAF SAC Missile Launch Officer [1964-1971]

"After retiring from the Air Force I joined the Boeing company and was responsible for accounting for all of the nuclear fleet of Minuteman missiles. In this incident they actually photographed the UFO following the missile as it climbed into space and, shining a beam on it, neutralized the missile."

Colonel Ross Dedrickson: US Air Force/Atomic Energy Commission

" ... we were testing ballistic missiles that were to deliver nuclear weapons on target ... my duty [was] to supervise the instrumentation photography of every missile that went down in that western test range ... and into the frame came something else. It flew into the frame and shot a beam of light at the warhead. Now, remember, all this stuff was flying at several thousand miles an hour, so this thing fires a beam of light at the warhead, hits it, ... . The warhead tumbles out of space. The object, the points of light that we saw, the warhead and so forth, were traveling through subspace about sixty miles straight up, and they were going somewhere in the neighborhood of eleven to fourteen thousand miles an hour, when this thing caught up to them, flew in, flew around them, and flew back out."

Professor Robert Jacobs: Lt. USAF 1369th Photo Squadron

"Sightings of unexplained objects at great altitude and traveling at high speeds in the vicinity of major US defense installations are of such nature that they are not attributable to natural phenomena or known types of aerial vehicles."

Dr .H Marshall Chadwell, former assistant director of the CIA's Office of Scientific Intelligence, in a December, 1952 memo to then-director of the CIA, General Walter B. Smith.

"I concentrate on the science. I'm interested in the UFOs seen by the police and military witnesses. I'm interested in the near misses that pilots report, where their aircraft nearly collide with these things. I'm interested in the visual sightings backed up by radar. I'm interested in the military bases that are overflown by these things. I'm interested in the cases where you have radiation readings on the ground.

These are no lights in the sky. These are not misidentifications of fantasy prone individuals. This is a cutting-edge technology being reported by reliable, trained observers, and it is something that goes beyond what we can do.

That to me suggests that if it is not ours, it belongs to someone else. If that technology is better than ours, then the extraterrestrial hypothesis seems to me the best explanation."

Nick Pope

Head of the "UFO desk" at Air Secretariat 2-A, British Ministry of Defence from 1991-1994.

"So this thing [uFO] fires a beam of light at the warhead, hits it and then it moves to the other side and fires another beam of light. And the warhead tumbles out of space. What message would I interpret from that? [The UFOs were telling us] don't mess with nuclear warheads. Major Mannsman said, "You are never to speak of this again." After an article [about the incident years later], people would call and start screaming at me. One night somebody blew up my mailbox.

US Air Force Lieutenant, Professor Robert Jacobs-Disclosure, pp. 184, 187.

"The security guard called and said,Sir, there's a glowing red object hovering right outside the front gate. I've got all the men out here with their weapons drawn. We lost between

16-18 ICBMs (nuclear tipped Inter Continental Ballistic Missiles) at the same time UFOs were in the area. (A high ranking Air Force officer) said,"Stop the investigation; do no more on this and do not write a final report. I heard that many of the guards that reported the incident were sent off to Vietnam."

Captain Robert Salas: USAF SAC Missile Launch Officer [1964-1971]

"Unidentified flying objects are a very serious subject which we must study fully. We appeal to all viewers to send us details of strange flying craft seen over the territories of the Soviet Union. This is a serious challenge to science and we need the help of all Soviet citizens."

"Observations show that UFOs behave 'sensibly.' In a group formation flight, they maintain a pattern. They are most often spotted over airfields, atomic stations and other very new engineering installations. On encountering aircraft, they always maneuver so as to avoid direct contact. A considerable list of these seemingly intelligent actions gives the impression that UFOs are investigating, perhaps even reconnoitering... The important thing now is for us to discard any preconceived notions about UFOs and to organize on a global scale a calm, sensation-free and strictly scientific study of this strange phenomenon. The subject and aims of the investigation are so serious that they justify all efforts. It goes without saying that international cooperation is vital."

Dr. Felix Y. Zigel, Professor of mathematics and astronomy at the Moscow Aviation Institute

Excellent radio interview:

March 29, 2009 — Robert Hastings, Bruce Fenstermacher, Patrick McDonough and Robert Salas.

Longtime UFO/Nukes connection researcher Robert Hastings joins The Paracast as guest co-host to bring two new military witnesses forward to describe — for the very first time publicly — their experiences with UFOs sighted over sensitive nuclear missile launch sites. Our special guests include Bruce Fenstermacher and Patrick McDonough. Also joining the show will be former USAF Captain Robert Salas, who will be discussing his well-known encounter at Malmstrom AFB in 1967.

Link:

http://www.fluctu8.com/podcast-episode/the-paracast-mar-29-2009-8035-60988.html

Very interesting incident involving a huge UFO hovering over Indian Point Nuclear Reactor,Buchahan,New York in 1984:

Several security police (not to mention plant workers and residents) witnessed the object - what they had to say about it sounds quite unusual:

“As the object approached the plant, I got about as close as 500 feet from it. It looked like and ice cream cone. You could see it was a solid body about the size of three football fields. At this time, it was directly over our heads, and we were looking up at it. It was still moving, but very slowly. I could walk and keep up with it, so it mist have been going slower than five to ten miles an hour.”

“I turned my camera in that direction, and I saw eight bright lights in a V shape, very wide, almost like half circle. They were at least as bright as the landing lights on a large jet. My supervisor and I panned the camera up and sown, and the object was very large, bigger than a football field."

Summary:

1. As the object approached the east gate of Reactor Number Three, the nuclear plant's security system shut down. Sensors that detect movement shut down, and the entire alarm system failed.

2. Inside the security console, the computer that controls all security and communications systems shut down.

3. At that time, the commander contacted Camp Smith, a New York National Guard base less than ten miles away, requesting identification of the object. No answer was given. A request was then made for an armed helicopter to shoot the object down. Before the command was given to launch the helicopter, the UFO moved away.

4. The next day, the commander of the security guards informed then that “nothing happened” and the event was to be forgotten.

5. The incident was witnessed by several plant workers as well as the security guards.

6. A number of area residents saw the object at the same time the plant guards did, and the Peekskill police received numerous calls about the UFO the same night.

7. A videotape of the object may exist, since all the security cameras automatically record everything they see and the tapes are kept for a certain period of time before being reused. However, authorities say no such tape exists.

8. All radio communications that night were also routinely recorded, but the tapes reportedly no longer exist.

9. In the days following the incident, officials of the U. S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission visited the plant, and the entire security setup underwent a shakeup.

http://www.ufoevidence.org/cases/case1080.htm

We used to know one of the major witnesses in the Minot incident. However, at the time we knew this person, his name was not publicly linked to Minot. If I ever talk to this guy again, there are dozens of questions I would like to ask him.

If you're wondering whether the B-52 crew members on the Peter Jennings special are for real--the answer is yes.

Spaaced,thanks for the reply -intriguing stuff. ;)

Robert Hastings makes some very interesting comments below about government documentary evidence and UFO incursions over highly sensitive Nuclear/Atomic installations:

Robert Hastings- UFOs and Nukes.

Many of the declassified USAF and FBI documents utilized by Hastings refer to UFOs repeatedly violating highly sensitive airspace at the Los Alamos National Laboratory, where nuclear weapons are designed, and at Sandia Base which has engineered nukes since the 1940s.

Other documents confirm reports of UFO activity at Oak Ridge, the Hanford Plant, and the Savannah River Plant, all of which produced fissile materials for U.S. nuclear bombs and missile warheads during the Cold War era.

Hastings contends that there exists a credible link between the appearance of nuclear weapons in the mid-1940s, and the overall increase in UFO sightings worldwide since that time.

Moreover, he believes it is probable that one of the reasons the U.S. government has attempted to conceal its extensive knowledge of the UFO phenomenon from the public relates to its apprehension about having to acknowledge that unknown observers, piloting enormously superior aerial craft, have been systematically monitoring-and occasionally tampering with-our nuclear weapons.

http://www.ufoinfo.com/ufobooks/ufosandnukes.shtml

Cheers.

Other incidents:

Hansford Atomic Works:

On July 5, 1952 four Florida pilots reported a flying saucer hovering above the Hanford atomic works, a sensitive scientific installation at Richlands, Washington. Captain John Baldwin, Captain George Robertson and pilots D. Shanbel and Steven Summers stated that the UFO was round and flat. After hovering over the atomic plant, it gained speed, reversed its course and then disappeared quickly. Two yellow globes of fiery appearence were reported over the Hanford plant seven days later, confirmed by Air Force investigators.

http://www.rense.com/general20/fo.htm

---

Loring Air Force Base:

On October 27,1975 a UFO was reported by Staff Sgt. Danny K. Lewis near the Loring Air Force Base, Maine. The UFO began to circle the nuclear weapons storage area to within 300 yards of the facility. Finally, it hovered 150 feet above the ground. The base was placed on a major alert status. Radar tracked its maneuvers in the area for over 40 minutes. The reddish- orange UFO later moved to within five feet of the ground. Security personnel said the UFO was "like a stretched-out football in the air" as it hovered nearby. They described the object as about four car lengths long. It shut off its lights and rapidly left the area from near ground level.

http://www.rense.com/general20/fo.htm

---

South Carolina:

On May 10, 1952 four employees of the DuPont Company, employed at the Savannah River Plant saw eight "disc-shaped" objects approach the Ellenton,South Carolina plant. The objects varied from a yellow to gold in color, moved south to north at a "high rate" of speed. The eight UFOs approached the area at such a low altitude that they had to rise to pass over some tall tanks in the area. The noiseless UFOs weaved from left to right and moved from side to side as they departed at a 90 degree angle. " The AEC in Washington was advised."

http://www.ufoevidence.org/documents/doc888.htm

---

Los Alamos:

On April 17, 1950 more than fifteen persons at the Secret Atomic Energy Project at Los Alamos, New Mexico reported they saw a UFO on the eastern horizon. One of the observers, a scientist from the University of California Personnel Division, watched one of the three objects through a telescope and said that it looked flat,metallic and was roughly circular - about nine feet in diameter. The UFO appeared to be about 2,000 feet high and moved ".. faster than any known coventional aircraft" -it was seen for about 20 minutes. Dozens of UFO sightings have been reported by eyewitnesses at Los Alamos over the years.

http://www.ufoevidence.org/documents/doc888.htm

Interesting stuff.

If these are indeed sentient "alien" creatures with advanced technology, why would they be disarming nuclear weapons? Would they be trying to save humanity? or trying to protect themselves? Lets say we entertain the thought of these aliens existing for a moment, what would be their motives?

Interesting stuff.

If these are indeed sentient "alien" creatures with advanced technology, why would they be disarming nuclear weapons? Would they be trying to save humanity? or trying to protect themselves? Lets say we entertain the thought of these aliens existing for a moment, what would be their motives?

DrunkDwarf -thanks for the reply -you make an interesting point.

Perhaps the only thing we can say for sure is that there have been some truly puzzling UFO incidents in or around nuclear installations and,if there are non-humans checking out the level of our current technologies,then I'd speculate their motives would be much the same as ours if we were in a similar position - ie: covert surveillance/intelligence gathering and non-confrontational observation.

After all,looked at objectively, we've murdered 100 million of our own kind through successive wars in the last hundred years so we probably haven't got the best collective reputation.

Cheers.

Greifswald footage:

Recorded on August 24, 1990 from the Greifswald Nuclear power plant in Greifswald, East Germany. East German and Russian personnel working at the nuclear power plant recorded these clusters of UFOs as they appeared to group in the sky over a very sensitive location.

And

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6jr55_un-travail-dequipe_tech

http://www.realufos.net/2008/08/ufo-over-greifswald-germany-august-24.html

August 23, 1990 - The East German parliament approves the accession of the German Democratic Republic to the Federal Republic of Germany (West Germany) from October 3.source.

I would say - nice day for celebration... Think about it.

Edited by bmk1245

You think the object(s) at 1:30 in this footage are fireworks?

Nope. Just kleine asiatische Heissluftballons.

Oh- you think they're Chinese lanterns. :D

More plausible, than ETs interested in low power reactors (each one of 440 MW) and nuclear plant, which was ceased operation in July 22, 1990 (source), i.e. month before sighting :rolleyes:

Of course you're entitled to your opinion (and lazy abuse of Occam's razor) but the footage doesn't appear to show Chinese lanterns to me.

I'd also be interested to hear your opinions on the incidents mentioned below - were they kleine asiatische Heissluftballons too. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKMi6AfMFak

Cheers.

Edited by karl 12

Of course you're entitled to your opinion (and lazy abuse of Occam's razor) but the footage doesn't appear to show Chinese lanterns to me.

I'd also be interested to hear your opinions on the incidents mentioned below - were they kleine asiatische Heissluftballons too. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKMi6AfMFak

Cheers.

Quote from declassified docs (source):

Rumors of Unidentified Flying Objects (UFO) around the area of Echo Flight during the time of fault were disproven.

A Mobile Strike Team, which had checked all November Flight's LFs on the morning of 16 March 67, were questioned and stated that no unusual activity or sightings were observed.

The 801st Radar Squadron, Malmstrom AFB, gave a negative report on any radar or atmospheric interference problems related to Echo Flight.

As for 'lazy abuse of Occam's razor' - yeah, right: UFOs (and probably ETs onboard) flying hell knows how many lightyears, lurking somewhere in the outskirts of our solar system, flying around facilities interested in hell knows what, technically advanced to travel vast distances, but can't distinguish missiles with real payloads from the missiles with dummy ones, etc. etc... Lets talk more about 'lazy abuse of Occam's razor' :D

PS and, **** happens: sometimes in my lab automatic fuses go off without particular reason. Is there any UFOs/ETs involvement in that? 100% not.

As for 'lazy abuse of Occam's razor' - yeah, right: UFOs (and probably ETs onboard) flying hell knows how many lightyears, lurking somewhere in the outskirts of our solar system, flying around facilities interested in hell knows what, technically advanced to travel vast distances, but can't distinguish missiles with real payloads from the missiles with dummy ones, etc. etc...

It is like this, missiles with dummy warheads can set the stage for real missile with real warheads and smart people know the significance on what Ihave just said.

Quote from declassified docs (source)

Bmk- is this the document you mean?

Rumors of Unidentified Flying Objects (UFO) around the area of Echo Flight during the time of fault were disproven.

A Mobile Strike Team, which had checked all November Flight's LFs on the morning of 16 March 67, were questioned and stated that no unusual activity or sightings were observed.

a1a3eb624a55.gif

Quite an interesting read although it appears to completely ignore the sightings by the security patrols,maintenance crews and military policemen -its also a strange coincedence that another UFO sighting occurred over another nuclear facility which was twenty miles away on the same morning.

I also notice you're willing to cherrypick some declassified documents but not others.

Theres an interesting presentation here concerning government documentary evidence that you should maybe watch:

For nearly 9 years, John Greenewald, Jr. has been exploring the archives of the U.S. Government for undeniable proof of the UFO Phenomenon. In those nine years, he has created the largest online archive anywhere in the world. Join John as he sifts through the mounds of Government documents and see the most fascinating results.

XCon - John Greenewald Jr. - The Black Vault's Quest for Truth

Edited by karl 12

October 1, 1957 - UFO Circles Nuclear Facility

A former Rochester councilman, John Karcher, owned a farm in Daugherty township, outside the city of Rochester. On October 1st, about 7:00 p.m., Mr. Karcher was with a friend, Lee Plunkett. The men were outdoors with a clear view of the sky.

From the direction of the nearby town of Ohioville something strange approached at an altitude of 2,000 feet. The two men spotted it and were astonished. The thing was a big luminous torpedo they estimated was 200 feet long. The top half was green-colored and the bottom half was reddish-orange. These two colors were separated by a strip of yellow. The thing was moving slowly, perhaps as slow as 15 miles per hour. Karcher hand enough time to get a pair of binoculars and to also phone some neighbors, a Mrs. Norderbugger and her daughter and son-in-law. These three neighbors managed to observe the object as it passed by on a steady course to the south, in the direction of Shippingport Atomic Plant.

Karcher saw nothing worth mentioning with the binoculars and like everyone else believed the show was over when the UFO moved out of sight. To the surprise of all, the torpedo reappeared after a few minutes, retracing its course, apparently returning to its homebase, if it had one. In Mr. Karcher's opinion, the mystery ship made a U-turn over the nuclear facility, considering its speed and distance involved. This suggestion was taken serioulsy by the Air Force and the FBI."

The Beaver County Times, Beaver, Pennsylvania, 8 November 1957

http://www.rense.com/general42/tm_oct.htm

Many people are aware that UFOs have a special interest in nuclear-related facilities.

SkyEagle there certainly seems to be a disproportionate amount of incidents. :yes:

This NICAP link here has lots of info on the investigations and case histories-including this one from New York:

UFO HOVERS OVER INDIAN POINT NUCLEAR POWER PLANT

Peekskill, New York

June 24, 1984

At 10:30 to 10:45 p.m. on this date security guards at the Indian Point Nuclear Power Plant near Peekskill, New York reported seeing a UFO over the plant for approximately 15 minutes. It was roughly 30 stories above the exhaust funnel of one of the plant's three nuclear reactors.

UFO investigator Philip J. Imbrogno for the Dr. J. Allen Hynek's Center for UFO Studies (CUFOS) in Chicago, Illinois interviewed six of the twelve security guards who saw the UFO.

The UFO, according to the witnesses was huge in size, diamond-shaped and approximately 450 feet in length. It was first white, then changed to blue to red to green to amber in color. Local police in Peekskill received numerous UFO sightings during the same evening. One of them, Sgt. Karl Hoffman said the UFO he observed included a "dozen white lights" in V-formation that slowly moved towards the power plant at Indian Point.

http://www.nicap.org/ncp/ncp-peekskill.htm

Cheers.

SkyEagle there certainly seems to be a disproportionate amount of incidents. yes.gif

This NICAP link here has lots of info on the investigations and case histories-including this one from New York:

http://www.nicap.org...p-peekskill.htm

Cheers.

Thanks!thumbsup.gif

It is evident that the magnitude of these UFO events are such that even government can't keep them quiet.