Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The world is going to end...

thebarman

What do you think is the most likely cause of the end of the world?

This site lists 35 different 'end of world' senarious from global warming to asteroid impact.

End of the world stuff...

At the moment my money is on the global warming one, or maybe disease I can't decide, have a look and see which one you think will happen...

NB: If you're already a bit depressed and upset, or you're paranoid about the world ending this site isn't going to help you, have a cup of horlicks and go to bed.

post-52-1085388884.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Godly Being

• Triniant

• thebarman

• hunterkiller2001

thebarman i agrree with you my 1st choice is climate change user posted image

second is user posted image

AHHH my brain! :'(!

I cant stop thinking about that reality one.

Could someone or something switch us off? Could it possibly be true that our world is just a computer program, or a hologram, or a dream? Although it's about the weirdest thing you could think of, there are some tantalizing clues this might indeed be the case. The stuff we call 'reality' may simply not be for real.

I cant...argh! My brain! :'(! crying.gif

AHHH my brain! :'(!

I cant stop thinking about that reality one.

Could someone or something switch us off? Could it possibly be true that our world is just a computer program, or a hologram, or a dream? Although it's about the weirdest thing you could think of, there are some tantalizing clues this might indeed be the case. The stuff we call 'reality' may simply not be for real.

I cant...argh! My brain! :'(! crying.gif

What tantalizing clues? You just described the plot of a movie mate!! Don't know if you heard of it 'The Matrix'

At the moment my money is on the global warming

I agree with this, but not on the grounds that we are mis-treating our planet and this will cause our ultimate demise. I think life will continue until the day the Sun dies. There are many theories as to when this will happen, but billions of years seems the most probable estimate. The Earth will then simply burn as the sun swells and begins it's magnificent swan song.

After checking out this site...:

NASA Near Earth Object Program

...I got to thinking more about the Asteroid theory.

The page that's linked shows the rate of discovery of Near Earth Objects (NEO's), although the site currently has only low risk objects on it the rate of discovery suggests eventually a dangerous object will be found.

It has a really cool orbit calculator that can produce images to be saved on your computer, so I was able to show this asteriod '2003 MK4' as it passes us at half the distance of the Moon in January 2032...

...don't know about you, but I can't wait!

post-52-1085404226.jpg

I don't think any of this stuff will happen .. end of the world isn't like that! Humans from all races will have a fight (maybe WW3).. then after that .. people will Unite to fight in a space war that will happen some day .. Humans against other creatures (yup, maybe aliens. lol) then peace will over come .. and the true religion will rise .. no poor people .. all equal .. God will send back Jesus and some other religious guy to inform people of the true religion .. then the end of the world as God wants it will happen (Planets will blast into each other, mountains will collapse, all spirits will raise to heaven, everything will die) accept for God!

dontgetit.gifwink2.gif

So maybe its a bit of everything original.gif

Edited by djdodo

some time ago an asteroid passed really near earth. they then tracked it and now have said that in about 150 years it will hit earth and cause mass damage.. i am trying to find the link to the story about this and ill post it if I can find it. So i believe that what will end the world is an asteroid.

But also.. if the world goes into a nuclear war we could cause a nuclear winter and that would kill almost everything.

Have a look at this..Funny vid about the end of the world

End of ze world

and do you honestly think in 150 years we will not have the technology to stop a asteroid? we pretty much do now.. its just a matter of detecting the asteriod in time

Who's 'we'?

You and all the other anarchists?

phenomenom said

I agree with this, but not on the grounds that we are mis-treating our planet and this will cause our ultimate demise. I think life will continue until the day the Sun dies. There are many theories as to when this will happen, but billions of years seems the most probable estimate. The Earth will then simply burn as the sun swells and begins it's magnificent swan song

I agree with this as well. Where we may destroy ourselves before any natural event, but it would most definetly need to be some great event to destroy ALL life on the planet, life as a whole has the voracity of even the worst global super virus.

The Sun would kill us very early on in its denoument to supernova, and this is way too far down the road to worry now. Especially when considering that there is absolutely no-way we could stop it! We would have to relocate, and if we don't destroy ourselves first we will be advanced enough by then to make relocation easy.

We will combat meteorites, not perfected yet, but we are trying and in the face of an impending meteorite all we can really do is go down fighting........right!!

user posted image

and do you honestly think in 150 years we will not have the technology to stop a asteroid? we pretty much do now.. its just a matter of detecting the asteriod in time

Did you watch Armageddon last night as well? I'm sorry to tell you it's actually science fiction wink2.gif

The Apocalypse, I've always luved that word, no idea why though.

neways. My stupid half-a**ed theory is: The polar icecaps a gonna melt, though gradually, the cause of which I'm not yet certain about, either the greenhouse effect or the holes in the ozone or possibly ET-influenced mad scientist dude, though that last one's pretty unlikely. As they melt, of course, the water levels will rise, flooding the coasts, driving everyone inland. The changed sea levels will desturb the natural air currents and create freak storms, thus decreasing the human population. I haven't gotten it figured out much further than that, but it's basically the whole world gets flooded.

Although that supervolcanoe one was pretty cool.

**goes to research supervolcanoes more**

I read all of those. Took HOURS.

Anyway, i hope to GOD that no nanos get lose, especially considering nanotechnology is in full go ahead right now!!

To be honest, i don't believe in any destruction of earth or mankind now or in the near future. The greenhouse effect wont boil the earth, it'll be reversed by the plants, UNLESS we cut them all down. Which we are doing. :S There definately wont be an ice age anytime soon, we're warming our planet to much for that.

Tsunami, well, i live in Canada so i don't threat. hehe. But if it does happen it'll be devastating and will effect everyone, weather the wave kills them or not the world will be affected. The gulf of mexico will be thrown out of whack, for starters.

I think, as Chauncy said, it's the suns expansion that is going to kill us. As we already know the sun is expanding at a huge rate. Obviously nothing to worry about at the moment, but give it another lifeage of the earth or something and the sun will have actually gotten so big the earth will be INSIDE the sun. That'll be the end.

2012 End of the Mayan Calendar, the information given does not go as deep as I have researched it. There is a lot of strange facts behind what may happen in 2012.

Sorry but I have to say it.......WHY the hell is there so many topics about the end of the world, I mean we know we have stuffed up the earth, an asteroid can easily wipe us out and we have enough nukes to kill every human in existence as well as deisease which are just getting worse and worse. I know this but why do we keep harping on it. We are alive and we have at at least around 80 years to live and see,smell,touch,eat,feel and do everything we possibly can. I believe we should try as hard as possible to preserve the environment and help every perso that needs assisitance. PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST LIVE AND BE HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!! thumbsup.gif

Sorry about that I just get a little worked up about all this talk about death and destruction. We have lives so embrace them!!!!!!!!!! thumbsup.gif

WHY the hell is there so many topics about the end of the world

Really? I've only seen two.

I realise the subject is a bit morbid and we should all live our lives to the full and all that, but I think it's a very important issue.

I mean if there's one subject that affects everyone then it's the end of the world, and the way things are going there's an outside chance our generation could be the one to witness it...

...but lets hope not eh!

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an article relating to an astronomer (calls himself "aussie bloke")** that claims the end of the world as we know it will come at the end of June 2004*.

END OF THE WORLD?

Has anyone else read or heard of this?

Aside from the reference to Grover's Mill, NJ (from Orson Wells' War of the Worlds) does anyone know if this is another hoax or does science back this up?

I found it pretty frightening.

*Edited for date (from June 04 to June 2004)

**Edited for name

Edited by Triniant

June 4?

*gasp*

NO!! you mean I'm going to miss my birthday!!

There have been lots of failed doomsday predictions, mmkay children?. well over 400. Infact, i have posted this link before. But to any who werent here the last time, enjoy:

failed doomsday predictions

rolleyes.gif

................... silly little hobbitses

*pats heads*

we iz ejumicated...

Edited by moe eubleck

I will admit, after checking with some friends who are still in the navy, a lot of ships are out right now.

Still, i have serious trouble believing theories like this. While the the man making these predictions claims to be Dr. Gartell, without proof of his identity, i can't bring myself to believe this.

After spending the last 6 hours researching Gartell, i can honestly say : if this guy is indeed Gartell.... crying.gif

edit: forgot to add : I'm responding to Triniant's Link

Edited by hunterkiller2001

After doing some research (on the Aussie Bloke story) I found that some forums carring the posts (godlikeproductions, ATS...etc.) had ruled it as a hoax. Looks like this is the clincher, I guess just a very elaborate one to gain the publics reaction.

AUSSIE BLOKE

What scared me were the coincidences that went with the story such as the navy exercises, Venus, prophecies, and the fact that a meteorite could slam into earth at any given time. I also believe that the government would keep it away from the public until the last minute. Unless they could prove beyond a doubt that it was going to hit us, why create mass hysteria early, especially if we later found a way to divert the object?

I do not agree with the hoax, but at the same time it really made think and start to research the subject. Hey, I know more about astronomy now.

Edited by Triniant

when one of our members suggested using an invented Australian astronomer to further muddy the waters

we added fuel to the fire in the form of a fictional, curmudgeonly astronomer whose conscience had finally moved him to reveal the details of an impending catastrophe to a select group of forum visitors on an obscure website

Odd, I enter his name into google, and come up with a LOT of info... pages that have been on the net for 10+ years. Thats a long time to plan a hoax...

Edited by hunterkiller2001

Odd, I enter his name into google, and come up with a LOT of info...  pages that have been on the net for 10+ years. Thats a long time to plan a hoax...

....and it seems as he (Dr .Gartrel), at least the name, is the real deal and can be backed up. Maybe someone is using his good label to spread this horrific news or he is throwing himself out there with his beliefs. From some of the things I have read it has been 20 to 25 years in which he has been trying to talk.

In earlier posts he talks about jumping from forum to forum because he kept getting shut down (of course he did not name them), if his word is so valuable and true then why aren't they closing the door to all these sites that are now hosting his/they're words?