Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

2012 not the end of the world, Mayans insist

MissingAChance

Apolinario Chile Pixtun is tired of being bombarded with frantic questions about the Mayan calendar supposedly "running out" on December 21, 2012. After all, it's not the end of the world.

Or is it?

Definitely not, the Mayan Indian elder insists. "I came back from England last year and, man, they had me fed up with this stuff."

It can only get worse for him. Next month Hollywood's "2012" opens in cinemas, featuring earthquakes, meteor showers and a tsunami dumping an aircraft carrier on the White House.

At Cornell University, Ann Martin, who runs the "Curious? Ask an Astronomer" Web site, says people are scared.

arrow3.gifRead more...

capt.3728977169824fadaf26ae4a630d85fe.mexico_apocalypse_2012_gua301.jpg?x=213&y=320&xc=1&yc=1&wc=273&hc=410&q=85&sig=GIDsJuDuNgLRmyNJy.Wcgg--

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Agent. Mulder

• DrunkDwarf

• TheSearcher

• Israel559

Man craves being frantic about one thing or another. Few years back it was Y2K, then it was Yellowstone and the super caldera now it's the Mayan calendar (which we know nothing about since it's not complete and pieces are missing). Wonder why Michel de NotreDame was not implicated in the story... wasn't there a quatrain about the Mayan calendar in his work????

The Mayan calendar is not missing pieces...it is one of the most accurate calendars ever devised. This of course has nothing to do with 2012 just that their calendar is accurate in keeping time.

Edited by Rosewin

Man craves being frantic about one thing or another. Few years back it was Y2K, then it was Yellowstone and the super caldera now it's the Mayan calendar (which we know nothing about since it's not complete and pieces are missing). Wonder why Michel de NotreDame was not implicated in the story... wasn't there a quatrain about the Mayan calendar in his work????

I agree. 2012 is the end of the world as much as Y2K was suppose to be the end of the computer infrastructures and global nuclear wasteland. I'll see you all at New Years 2013! :P

The Mayans never said the world is going to come to an end... which means this whole article is BS

that was the point of the article...im guessing you read it though right... haha

Man craves being frantic about one thing or another. Few years back it was Y2K, then it was Yellowstone and the super caldera now it's the Mayan calendar (which we know nothing about since it's not complete and pieces are missing).

The Mayan Calendar is complete, as has already been said here, the date is also accurate and adjusted for all the changes in calendar systems over the years, it became a precise date (December 21st 2012 at 11:11am UTC) due to the Winter Solstice. The Mayans were extremely accurate at calculating such annual occurances by modern standards.

The End of the World stuff is of course nonsense, the Mayans have always said that, and they should know better than the crazy people living in basements with stockpiles of spam surrounding them who are spreading this crap.

Wonder why Michel de NotreDame was not implicated in the story... wasn't there a quatrain about the Mayan calendar in his work????

Nope, he never once mentioned the Mayans by name, nor anything or anyone else for that matter. As far as i remember, his predictions are considered to continue well beyond 2012, i think it was around 2016-2030 that the Nostradamus "Golden Age" was to occur.. at least, according to at least one Nostradamus book I read, they all differ though, because the quatrains are open to interpretation.

I've seen a few of the shows the article alludes to and I am reminded of the Nostradamus page that had aa wheel at the top with no spokes, a book with no writing on it and a man gesturing at both with a frantic look about him. I think it is an elaborate pun about information being stored on disk instead of paper, and writers block(the apocolypse of the writer). Furthermore we won't need to worry about the end of days if we assemble the crystal skulls, but first we need to identify the real ones so everybody take out your crystal skulls and we'll compare them. Gotta see if they resonate right and all that. Someone get Spielburg on the horn he's gotta have like four of them. Then we'll all meet at Chichen-Itza to compare. I'll come along for consultation, all I need is someone to pay my fare.

I think people want to have some 'end of the world' myth to hang onto so they don't have to think about all the horrible stuff that is REALLY going on.

• 2 weeks later...

I think people want to have some 'end of the world' myth to hang onto so they don't have to think about all the horrible stuff that is REALLY going on.

This is well put. I also believe a lot of humans are coming to a point where they dont care if the world will end because they cant stop it. There are a lot of nihilistic people on this planet, me being one of them. Once I end up losing sleep over space and the universe, I always think that, to other alien civilisations, we dont exist as much as they dont exist to us. Whos gonna notice if we dissipate into nothingess.

• 2 months later...

They were probably just over keeping records on dates ect and decided not to record the calendar any more…

The Mayan Calendar is complete, as has already been said here, the date is also accurate and adjusted for all the changes in calendar systems over the years, it became a precise date (December 21st 2012 at 11:11am UTC) due to the Winter Solstice. The Mayans were extremely accurate at calculating such annual occurances by modern standards.

The End of the World stuff is of course nonsense, the Mayans have always said that, and they should know better than the crazy people living in basements with stockpiles of spam surrounding them who are spreading this crap.

Nope, he never once mentioned the Mayans by name, nor anything or anyone else for that matter. As far as i remember, his predictions are considered to continue well beyond 2012, i think it was around 2016-2030 that the Nostradamus "Golden Age" was to occur.. at least, according to at least one Nostradamus book I read, they all differ though, because the quatrains are open to interpretation.

Actually, the mayan calandar may be precise, but the adjustements are not that accurate at all.

I've posted it before (and most liekly will again, till 2012 has passed at least) The following article was found in a Dutch science magasine, so I'll add the google translations page here and will put the link to the original dutch article.

What it comes down to is this :

The recalculation comes from the thesis done by nature scientist Andreas Fuls, three years ago, used for his doctorate at the Technical University Berlin. Fuls pointed out that the GMT-correlation is not consistent with the preserved Mayan tables on which the positions of Venus are listed. More even, there are the inscriptions and objects, which in the times of Goodman, Martinez and Thompson were not detected yet or which are now outdated. By adding it all together, Fuls comes up with a very different dating: one that has shifted 208 years. The end of the long count by the correlation is only in about two centuries, December, 2220.

Google translate link

Original dutch article

Actually, the mayan calandar may be precise, but the adjustements are not that accurate at all.

I've posted it before (and most liekly will again, till 2012 has passed at least) The following article was found in a Dutch science magasine, so I'll add the google translations page here and will put the link to the original dutch article.

What it comes down to is this :

The recalculation comes from the thesis done by nature scientist Andreas Fuls, three years ago, used for his doctorate at the Technical University Berlin. Fuls pointed out that the GMT-correlation is not consistent with the preserved Mayan tables on which the positions of Venus are listed. More even, there are the inscriptions and objects, which in the times of Goodman, Martinez and Thompson were not detected yet or which are now outdated. By adding it all together, Fuls comes up with a very different dating: one that has shifted 208 years. The end of the long count by the correlation is only in about two centuries, December, 2220.

Google translate link

Original dutch article

I'm sure we've discussed this briefly before TheSearcher, but the Goodman, Martinez and Thompson corellation is still the most commonly accepted. The new corellation by Andreas Fuls has not yet been accepted by Mayan scholars, and simply joins a long list of variant corellations that have not yet been deemed accurate by those who work in the field. Until this new correllation has been approved by the experts, you should not be touting it as accurate.

It may seem useful to try to dissuade people from getting all panicky about 2012 by trying to insist that the Mayan calendar date is wrong, but the date has not officially changed, and the sole dutch article you keep spreading does not prove otherwise, the Andreas Fuls correlation is at the stage of seeking approval of experts, who would then accept it as the correct correlation, but this has not happened yet as far as i can see, and may not.

Edited by DrunkDwarf

This is why the film "2012" is inaccurate to the Mayan predictions. They never said anything about destruction or the end of the world; all they said was it was an end of age (passage into Aquarius), albeit an important one.

This is why the film "2012" is inaccurate to the Mayan predictions. They never said anything about destruction or the end of the world; all they said was it was an end of age (passage into Aquarius), albeit an important one.

When they said it would be an end of an age, the beginning of the next world, they based that on their perspective of the passage of time and noting how civilizations/their society developed in cycles of X amount of years. They projected their observations forward, and took the end of the calendar as a marker of where they believed this next world would be.

There was no mystical vision behind it, no prediction of a specific event, just that the Mayans believed the world would be very different by this time, and by golly, they were right! Its no more predicting the future than guessing what life will be like for people in 20 years based on the technologies that are being worked on now.

Edited by DrunkDwarf

Recently I've seen many Mayan theories saying "2012 is not the end of the world", to be honest I don't believe there is enough evidence to prove that 2012 is the end of the world at the same time I don't agree with many of the explanations the Mayans are coming up with just to cover up the whole phenomena...

btw the link for read more doesn't open on my computer properly

After reading the title I was half hoping that the Anicent Maya had risen from their graves to educated people about 2012 :P

• 6 months later...

curious...what was the myth about Yellowstone and the super caldera about?...

from this link...the aliens from Nibiru are probably the most creepy of all the myths of 2012!

Recently I've seen many Mayan theories saying "2012 is not the end of the world", to be honest I don't believe there is enough evidence to prove that 2012 is the end of the world at the same time I don't agree with many of the explanations the Mayans are coming up with just to cover up the whole phenomena...

btw the link for read more doesn't open on my computer properly

Dude, nothing is going to end in 2012. Not even in 2020. Or 2100. And certainly not because some ancient civilization said so.

Yes 2012 hype is completly BS. I don't know why people are like ZOMG 2012 IS THE END OF THE WORLD AAAH!, i mean c'mon man use some common sense....

maya_cartoon.JPG

curious...what was the myth about Yellowstone and the super caldera about?...

The Yellowstone site is a super volcano site. I believe there are 2 other known places. If it goes off in full fashion it would be an enormous eruption, much larger than a regular volcano. There have been lots of predictions it would go off. I recall something about planetary alignments and solar flares and whatever setting off the eruption.