Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Global Warming Theory not looking hot anymore

Ufo Believer

In the freezing foothills of Montana, a distinctly bitter blast of revolution hangs in the air.

And while the residents of the icy city of Missoula can stave off the -10C chill with thermals and fires, there may be no easy remedy for the wintry snap's repercussions.

The temperature has shattered a 36-year record. Further into the heartlands of America, the city of Billings registered -12C on Sunday, breaking the 1959 barrier of -5C.

Closer to home, Austria is today seeing its earliest snowfall in history with 30 to 40 centimetres already predicted in the mountains.

Read more: http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1220052/Austria-sees-earliest-snow-history-America-sees-lowest-temperatures-50-years-So-did-global-warming-go.html#ixzz0TvyxYgPe

Edited by Ufo Believer

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• questionmark

• Moon Monkey

• SQLserver

• danielost

in related news:

Why a cold winter doesn't mean climate change is behind us

If you happen to follow the public debate on climate change, you might we aware that, in some circles, 2008 is being viewed as the definitive end of global warming. After all, it marks a decade where temperatures have trended downwards, and an especially cold start to the year was heralded as "wiping out a century of warming." So, it might come as a surprise to learn that, now that the year's numbers have been crunched, NASA's Goddard Institute and the UK's Climactic Research Unit rank 2008 as the 9th and 10th warmest year (respectively) in the 150 years or so humanity has been keeping careful track of these things.

The facts are that 2008 was cooler than the last few years, but warmer than most in recent history, which lends itself to spin based on the predilections of the person talking about it. But some of that spin specifically plays upon the widespread innumeracy of the public, which isn't well prepared to separate trends from short-term variability, or recognize when certain figures are selectively chosen. We'll try to separate out some of these in a way that will hopefully help readers make a bit of sense out of the conflicting noise.

Read more...

You must not have gotten the new memo from the Enviro-Greenies. You're not allowed to cite temperature in the discussion anymore. Apparently it has nothing to do with Climate. ( And the term " Global Warming " is wrong too. Please always say " Climate Change " ) :lol:

in related news:

Questionmark, that was 2008 cold spell, it seems to be getting colder and colder

Questionmark, that was 2008 cold spell, it seems to be getting colder and colder

it is?

You have some global data to show that?

So you've reversed your opinion in the past month? "My opinion is shared by others scientists. its hard to believe that the moon, sun and mars are getting warmer because of changes in the sun or that the sun is causing many other planets to get warmer but man made global warming is caused by man on earth."

You've dropped the whole "the sun is brightening, all the planets are warming" bit because you've found a more convenient argument?

Edited by Startraveler

:wacko: people just don't understand what is meant by 'global warming' . smi20.gif

Agreed, but part of the problem is that what is meant by "global warming" has changed several times now. If we are to build our lives around stopping global warming then there should be a predictable , measurable pattern and it seems to me that rather than the current conditions matching the models set out by scientists , the scientists are changing their models to fit the current conditions.

:wacko: people just don't understand what is meant by 'global warming' . smi20.gif

go on tell us.

in related news:

could this warming trend over the past 150 years be considered normal? considering we just came out of a 'mini ice age'.

Edited by expandmymind

Agreed, but part of the problem is that what is meant by "global warming" has changed several times now. If we are to build our lives around stopping global warming then there should be a predictable , measurable pattern and it seems to me that rather than the current conditions matching the models set out by scientists , the scientists are changing their models to fit the current conditions.

No it has not, the change of term came about when climate scientist realized that a rise in the mean temperature would not necessarily cause warming all over the globe. In fact a few places might even get colder/wetter for a time.

England, Scotland and North-Western Spain come to mind when you think colder because the hotter arctic water will weaken and ultimately stop the Gulf Stream, those places owe their mild climate to it.

The southern Greek Islands will be wetter, about which I was pretty happy because on this one it only rains about ten days a year. Should not have been because it still only rains about ten days a year... with triple the rainfall washing away the fertile soil.

No it has not, the change of term came about when climate scientist realized that a rise in the mean temperature would not necessarily cause warming all over the globe. In fact a few places might even get colder/wetter for a time.

England, Scotland and North-Western Spain come to mind when you think colder because the hotter arctic water will weaken and ultimately stop the Gulf Stream, those places owe their mild climate to it.

The southern Greek Islands will be wetter, about which I was pretty happy because on this one it only rains about ten days a year. Should not have been because it still only rains about ten days a year... with triple the rainfall washing away the fertile soil.

Quoted for truth.

This is something that a lot of people need to begin wrestling their mind around.

could this warming trend over the past 150 years be considered normal? considering we just came out of a 'mini ice age'.

It could, but I don't know how many times I have posted the Vostok Ice Core Analysis, it show that there always has been a correlation between the amount of green house gases and temperature. And precisely the little ice age gives the strongest indication that carbon dioxide has something to do with temperature. It happened right after most of Europe and Asia was depopulated due to the plague. So what happens when suddenly 75% of the population (including many animals) disappear? Right, less CO2 in the atmosphere(The Vostok study also confirms this).

No it has not, the change of term came about when climate scientist realized that a rise in the mean temperature would not necessarily cause warming all over the globe. In fact a few places might even get colder/wetter for a time.England, Scotland and North-Western Spain come to mind when you think colder because the hotter arctic water will weaken and ultimately stop the Gulf Stream, those places owe their mild climate to it.The southern Greek Islands will be wetter, about which I was pretty happy because on this one it only rains about ten days a year. Should not have been because it still only rains about ten days a year... with triple the rainfall washing away the fertile soil.

exactly. when they realised calling it Global warming wouldn't sell very well and would come and bite them on the buttocks,

They knew people would start asking the questions that are difficult to answer. such has why has china had its coldest winter for a hundred years etc....

Next they'll be calling it regional warming. the cracks are starting to appear and the wheels are starting to wobble.

what a bloody sham the whole thing has become.

So you've reversed your opinion in the past month? "My opinion is shared by others scientists. its hard to believe that the moon, sun and mars are getting warmer because of changes in the sun or that the sun is causing many other planets to get warmer but man made global warming is caused by man on earth."

You've dropped the whole "the sun is brightening, all the planets are warming" bit because you've found a more convenient argument?

LOL Hold everything Startraveler! I'm just reading from what the articles are claiming. I don't believe man is causing global warming or what ever you want to call it.

exactly. when they realised calling it Global warming wouldn't sell very well and would come and bite them on the buttocks,

They knew people would start asking the questions that are difficult to answer. such has why has china had its coldest winter for a hundred years etc....

Next they'll be calling it regional warming. the cracks are starting to appear and the wheels are starting to wobble.

Well said and good post! I hope people like Mattshark would take note and see the light.

It says so in the article you linked ^_^

Well, if that article sezz the truth you should lobby for NASA to close down it climatological department, they seez the contrary:

Temperature anomalies:

2009+2005+2007.gif

ED: forgot the link http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs/

Edited by questionmark

The Sun causes "Global Warming",or what I like to call Globull Warming, not people, like what Al Gore says.

Simultaneous warming on Earth and Mars suggests that our planet's recent climate changes have a naturaland not a human-inducedcause, according to one scientist's controversial theory.

Earth is currently experiencing rapid warming, which the vast majority of climate scientists says is due to humans pumping huge amounts of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. (Get an overview: "Global Warming Fast Facts".)

Mars, too, appears to be enjoying more mild and balmy temperatures.

In 2005 data from NASA's Mars Global Surveyor and Odyssey missions revealed that the carbon dioxide "ice caps" near Mars's south pole had been diminishing for three summers in a row.

Habibullo Abdussamatov, head of space research at St. Petersburg's Pulkovo Astronomical Observatory in Russia, says the Mars data is evidence that the current global warming on Earth is being caused by changes in the sun.

"The long-term increase in solar irradiance is heating both Earth and Mars," he said.

Solar Cycles

Abdussamatov believes that changes in the sun's heat output can account for almost all the climate changes we see on both planets.

More here: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070228-mars-warming.html

Edited by Ufo Believer

LOL Hold everything Startraveler! I'm just reading from what the articles are claiming. I don't believe man is causing global warming or what ever you want to call it.

But a month ago you and "other scientists" agreed that the planet is warming and you claimed this was natural because all of the planets are supposedly warming due to increasing solar irradiance.

Now you say the planet is cooling, apparently because of a single data point.

In todays papers in the UK we were told they are planning huge drainage systems alongside roads a la Bangladesh to deal with the inevitable effects of sea level rises and how we will pay for this public work necessity however they still make plans to build on the south eastern flood plains and there are still no discussions on a move of the financial and political centres to higher ground in the north. Just keep paying your 'green' taxes.

Edited by Moon Monkey

It's global climate changed induced by a net increase in infrared radiation absorption. This infrared absorption has a heating effect but absolutely does not necessitate a net increase in temperature of all climate systems concerned, although without inspection that would appear to be the most likely consequence. This is the current state of things, it always has been; it hasn't changed.

Many people ask the questions that they do because they do not understand the subject; the questions are often difficult to answer because people are often unwilling or unable to try to understand the subject.

Edited by Raptor

But a month ago you and "other scientists" agreed that the planet is warming and you claimed this was natural because all of the planets are supposedly warming due to increasing solar irradiance.

Now you say the planet is cooling, apparently because of a single data point.

I said its cooler in most parts of North America. the sources I used sources that suggested that Earth and other planets were getting hotter this was done before 2006.

Here a link to what I have said

What my opinion is

Edited by Caesar

In todays papers in the UK we were told they are planning huge drainage systems alongside roads a la Bangladesh to deal with the inevitable effects of sea level rises and how we will pay for this public work necessity however they still make plans to build on the south eastern flood plains and there are still no discussions on a move of the financial and political centres to higher ground in the north. Just keep paying your 'green' taxes.

You would think things like that would be a clue, wouldn't you?