Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

White Grim Reaper

Stixy

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and I joined specifically to see if anyone has had an experience similar to mine. Through a quick Google search, I found a topic on this website about a white grim reaper. The problem is, it was posted two years ago and is now long forgotten. Within that post, many assumed that the individual who experienced the sighting was hallucinating since he was on medications. Well, I wouldn't be so quick to decide that in all cases.

For instance--when I was in my senior year of high school (2006) a few friends of mine and myself decided to go to a concert in San Jose, California. We had a great time in which we ingested no alcohol or drugs, and afterward were driven back to our lodging place by a friend's father. On this ride home we happened to pass by a city park which was mostly unlit, being that it was about 1 AM. For such a large city, it was surprisingly quiet that night. Nobody was really on the road or out and about. It was rather dark and peaceful out. Our vehicle came to a stop sign alongside the city park, and as we rolled to a halt, I glanced out the window to my right and then looked back ahead. Wait, was there something unusual that I spotted at the corner of my eye? I looked back and, sure enough, there is something definitely unusual in that park! It's a white grim reaper. I mean, it's an honest-to-god grim reaper. It seemed like time slowed down for a minute. It was dressed in white garb, a black shadow engulfing the opening of the hood, and it's just sitting there on a park bench! I remember it being rather tall, too, maybe 6'4"ish if it had been standing. It had its hands folded over its lap and seemed to be looking downward.

Time sort of caught up to me after I had taken it all in, returned to normal speed. I didn't say anything at first. A few seconds after I saw the white reaper, our vehicle continues past the stop sign like nothing happened. After we had driven about a block, I broke the silence and asked to no one in particular, "Did you see that...?"

"The white figure?" My friend Ashley asks.

"YES!"

Suddenly, chaos breaks out within our vehicle, everyone freaking out, explaining what they saw, and urging my friend's dad to drive faster in order to get away from the thing. Everyone but the driver and one other passenger saw it, saw the same exact thing as the next person. Four of us saw the white reaper, and all four of us experienced the same sensation of time slowing down, and all four of us thought we were going crazy.

Sometimes when I think back on it, I wonder if I made it up. I wonder if my imagination got the best of me...but I'll occasionally ask one of my friends who was present if he or she remembers what we saw that night in San Jose and they are quick to recite precisely what we saw. I'm not alone in my craziness, at least.

Maybe it was somebody just dressing up like a white reaper for ****s and giggles. Maybe. But I just don't understand why someone would do that alone at 1 AM in a quiet neighborhood in a park. The world may never know.

Any other similar experiences?

[Note: Sorry if this makes little sense, as I am a bit buzzed at the moment.]

post-94525-125568761044_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

But I just don't understand why someone would do that alone at 1 AM in a quiet neighborhood in a park. The world may never know.

Fancy dress party.

Fancy dress party.

That's very possible.

This isn't a Reaper sighting, but my friend was at Crewe rail station about 3 years ago waiting for the last train to Manchester and there was a man dressed in full Hitler costume (complete with hair and 'tache) sitting on a bench. The security guard told her that the guy sat there every Wednesday night and occasionally even brought a packed lunch with him. I wonder if he still does it!

Edited by schizoidwoman

Fancy dress party.

That'd make sense if, y'know, there were other people around or if it was at least near Halloween. But it was May and it was desolate.

Can you explain more about the time slowing down please. Did you see any clocks moving slowly?

Can you explain more about the time slowing down please. Did you see any clocks moving slowly?

No, nothing as concrete as that, unfortunately. It all happened within the span of a few seconds, however it felt much longer than that, more like a few minutes. I know that realistically it took us maybe three or four seconds to come to a stop at the sign, check for cross-traffic, and then move on. It was more of a mental sensation which allowed me to take in everything about the scene in extreme detail. I felt like I was staring for quite a long time, which I knew I couldn't have been. I also sort of felt silenced, as if I couldn't speak if I had tried to do so, sort of hypnotized, maybe?

Boy I do sound crazy. At least, as I said, I wasn't the only one!

I know i say this alot but could have just been pareidolia you say it was dark it could just have been something that looked like a white reaper. as for time slowing down for all your fiend i can't really explain hid it just been one person i would have just said it could be because you were tried

No, nothing as concrete as that, unfortunately. It all happened within the span of a few seconds, however it felt much longer than that, more like a few minutes. I know that realistically it took us maybe three or four seconds to come to a stop at the sign, check for cross-traffic, and then move on. It was more of a mental sensation which allowed me to take in everything about the scene in extreme detail. I felt like I was staring for quite a long time, which I knew I couldn't have been. I also sort of felt silenced, as if I couldn't speak if I had tried to do so, sort of hypnotized, maybe?

Boy I do sound crazy. At least, as I said, I wasn't the only one!

That doesn't sound crazy at all. After all how many times have you been at work or school and the clock just seems to be dragging? Completely normal, experienced by billions of people.

For not being able to speak I'd so that was shock or something. After all you just saw a grim reaper taking a rest on a park bench :P

Personally I think "reaper" is a stretch. It was just a figure in a white cloak--you didn't mention anything about the characteristic scythe, anyway. Or is that too cliché...? Anyway, seeing as it had no similarities between a grim reaper other than a cloak (which was of a totally different color), I'm going to say it was not a reaper. I would be more inclined to say it was just some random person, possibly even a homeless person, who found solace in the park that night. Time tends to "stand still" when you take something in, especially when you're observing something that doesn't necessarily "belong". You try to figure out as much about the situation as you can, because you know it isn't right--you expect the park to be dark and empty, but instead there's a strange person standing there.

I thought that you were supposed to die if you saw the Grim Reaper? I noticed that you really seem to have a fixation with death and dying.

I thought that you were supposed to die if you saw the Grim Reaper? I noticed that you really seem to have a fixation with death and dying.

The funny thing is that I don't particularly have more of a fascination with death and dying than with anything else "mysterious." I just chose that to be the theme of my account on this website because it's aesthetically pleasing (to me, at least). I'm much more interested in cryptozoology ;)

Anyway, I'm sure that the "reaper" wasn't a supernatural being. It's just a damn weird thing to see and experience, but I posted because I was hoping that maybe there had been other sightings; maybe that a white "reaper" was a popular phenomenon of some sort.

And for the record, it's been over three years and none of us who saw it have neither died nor suffered in any freak accidents. ;)

Well clearly this one was on break.

Well clearly this one was on break.

Well, that's entirely possible. He was looking down sort of like he was reading a book!

Just a thought. Not a very well thought out one I should add. But maybe you got to see (this sounds stupid, but I'll continue anyway), well maybe, you and your friends saw someone's or something's astral projection. Maybe the time slowing down was an effect of having crossed in to an astral plane. I'm sure you guys were tired somewhat even if you didn't feel it. Another thing, most really great concerts knowingly or unknowingly incorporate mass hypnosis techniques. At least in the old days, rock 'n roll was notorious for practicing witchcraft and mind control techniques. By the way, trance is essential to astral projection and similar experiences. Maybe you guys were synergetically tied to a certain mental/trance frequency . When I was a kid growing up, my brother and one of my friends all witnessed the same weird gathering in the woods behind our house. When I remember it though, it's almost like I am recalling a dream, but my brother and my friends corroborate the story. Simply put, we "saw" a group of witches, or what looked like witches, in the woods doing some kind of ritual. We also "saw" big black dogs with red eyes. Honestly, I remember it but it seems as if by the power of suggestion or as a vague, far away dream. We were kids though and kids do imagine things. Recently, my brother told us that around this same time he witnessed a small baby, like a fetus, hanging dead from a tree bordering those same woods. He said he was in shock and didn't know how to handle it as a boy. So, he didn't say anything then. We were very young. Whether or not he actually saw it or imagined it, well, who knows? In your case, you were much older. You guys probably got a contact high or some very generous concession stand server decided to spike your cherry Pepsi with some L.S.D. or mescaline. By the way, what concert did you guys see? Anybody well known play there?

Edited by ReincarnatedNobody

ReincarnatedNobody:

Hm. The astral projection idea is an interesting one, I'd never considered it. I'm not so sure if I believe in all of that, but it's fun to mentally play with. The fact that time did slow down for all of us is a huge point of interest in the experience for me. Also, the prospect of the experience being a contact high isn't very plausible, mostly because contact high (from marijuana) is a load of bull.

Anyhow, your experience is very chilling, as is your brother's. Sometimes when we're kids, we experience very strange things which are more often in our minds or false memories than not. It's possible that you did see what you think you saw, but children's memories and awareness are so much more flexible than ours. Sometimes it seems like kids have a special flair for fear, and we as children thrive on the mysterious and the unknown. Who knows, though? Maybe you guys actually did stumble on a Pagan religious ritual. Maybe those Pagans were dog lovers, too. And maybe your brother happened to visit the woods just after a prom baby was made. Still, just the visuals your story conjures are pretty damn chilling. Remind me never to visit your neck of the woods!

[Oh, and we didn't see anyone terribly well-known that night. Just the Violent Femmes and the Dresden Dolls which are amazing bands, but not too well recognized, unfortunately.]

So it couldn't have been a homeless person?

*Shrug* It's possible, of course. I just don't see why a homeless person would wear a white cloak on a warm night or why time would have slowed down for all four of us at the exact same time.

In some cultures, death is associated with the color white and not black. Interesting to think about.

Remembering the sensations which you experienced, I'm sure will stay with you. People tend to be quick to write off subjective experience

(they for a start lack it, they were not there, so of course they're only getting half the picture from you)

If it was metaphysical, there's not always the words to accurately convey these kind of things. You are dealing with a different kind of logic. One that affects our consciousness and awareness at different levels.

The points of interest remain -

1. Multiple people experienced the same scene.

2. Multiple people experienced the same sensations.

I just don't see why a homeless person would wear a white cloak on a warm night

Well, as a general rule, the homeless tend to not be very fashion0-conscious or hung up over what to wear. It could have been a tablecloth or bedsheet. Also, was it hot outside, or just hot from being at a party?

• 3 years later...

Had to look up about the white grim reaper last night me and my boyfriend heard something outside like someone trying to break in we looked outside the front door and standing right next to my truck was a white reaper. It was a tall figure with a white robe and the face was blacked out. I kept blinking thinking my eyes were playing tricks or it was a glare from the window. I moved to a different Part of the door blinked looked again and it was still there! I asked my boyfriend and asked what's that he looked at me and said what did u see? When I told him he just stared at me with a look of terror he saw the exact same thing we both looked back and it was still there we backed up slowly made sure the doors were locked and locked ourselves in the bedroom. We sat there for quite a while holding our weapon preparing for a fight I don't know why u can't kill something like that. We feel asleep morning we were talking

about it again and we both swear that either of us were making it up we weren't drinking or doing drugs we don't know what to think of it but its something we will never forget!!

Edited by tinkgonebad
  • Like 1

It could be possible it's the reaper, this is usually a good diety and I personally think its a transgender angel. He does appear in white garb sometimes but it's mostly black and being of the Wicca religion I pray to this diety. Hmm but it could also be a man in a fedora simply sitting there and...idk praying or falling asleep? The only thing that sounds convincing is the height. I haven't seen him in person but others that have say he's freakishly tall, or appears feminine

The Flatwoods Monster sighting of 1952 is a classic reaper-type with the hood. Perhaps more of a traditional black one in this case but with multiple witnesses. It was floating above the ground. The drawings are quite memorable.

The Flatwoods, Braxton County Monster, 1952

Kathleen and her two sons joined the search party. Reaching the top of the hill, Mrs. May remarked that, ... the night was foggy and there was a mist in the evening air."

"The air had a metallic smell which burned our eyes and noses."

A dog was reported to have ran ahead of the group only to return with his tail between his legs, frightened by something.

Topping the hill, they could see a "glowing, hissing" object about 10 feet in diameter, about 100 yards away. Now completely dark, the night was shattered by two lights, about a foot apart.

One of the boys had a flashlight, and when he turned it on the two distant lights, a creature ten foot tall appeared; a bright red face, bright green clothing, a head which resembled the ace of spades, and clothing which, from the waist down, hung in great folds."

Suddenly, the creature began to "float" toward them, sending the group running back down the hill to the May house, where they quickly called the Sheriff.

The boys also called some of their schoolmates, and when the Sheriff arrived, the scene of the event was full of locals, who had to see the creature for themselves.

post-94765-0-63854600-1375977742_thumb.j

post-94765-0-47453900-1375977850_thumb.j

post-94765-0-06777600-1375977871_thumb.j

• 10 months later...

Hello everyone i just received a picture of the white grim reaper im new to this site,tryin to put picture in here but not sure how..my sisterin law sent it to me the person who took the picture of reaper is her brother in laws wife mom..she sees it alot & finally decided to take pic of it because nobody was believing her..